Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-27-2002, 11:29 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

We lost to the Twins today after getting swept by Detroit and Kansas City.

pathetic game

When does the fire sale begin Mr. Hicks?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #2
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

The problem is, who are they gonna sell. Not a ton of tradeable commodities,

Raffy: I love him, but he could fetch something on the open market. I believe he has a no trade.
Pudge: Can veto any trade with the 10/5 rule I think it is. Becoming injury prone,a nd any team that gets him knows he is free next year.
ARod: Has value but too expensive, and has no trade
Juan: Injury prone
Everett: Nope
Rocker: Giggles
Kapler: They have been trying, but I guess there hasn't been a good offer
Cat: See above, though I would think he would have some value.

This team needs to do something, I just don't know what it is.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:07 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

analyzing the analysis:

1. Raffy indeed has a no-trade clause and has said he wants to retire in Texas.
2. Pudge has indicated that he might waive his 10-5 rights esp since the Rangers have made it known publicly that they will not be bidding for his services at the rate he has asked.
3. ARod will never go anywhere. Teams have already inquired (isn't it amazing that we got bashed for that contract and now teams want it themselves?) but Hicks has said hell no. That was a corporate decision. ARod will be with the Rangers for the length of his contract.
4. Juan doesn't have a no-trade, but he is signed for a relatively small amount. If he produces at any level he could be traded.
5. Unfortunately, Everett isn't likely to be moved. His contract is an albatross. However, there were some Grer/Everett for Hampton (huge contract) and some other Rockies trade rumor about a week ago.
6. Rocker- if he performs well in AAA, someone might take a low prospect trade chance on him.
7. Kapler- actually, the offers have been lowball. The Rangers will likely move him for a package of prospects. Hart is playing Kaplers situation right now like sweet music. At least three teams (Atlanta, LA, Boston) have made offers. As the trade deadline approaches, those offers will sweeten. The Rangers aren't going to win this year so playing that angle is briliant IMO. Hart is no dummy.
8. Cat will not be moved. Hart likes him too much.

The Rangers cut Michalek and Woodward today and demoted Davis. That cuts payroll a small amount. I don't think Michalek and Woodward had guaranteed deals. Davis gets the minor league pro-rate for a veteran of his experience. I look for the Rangers to unload more guys like Perry, maybe Hassleman (less likely) and Rogers (free agent after this year). It wouldn't surprise me to see them cut or trade Burba (guaranteed contract though) and let Benoit or Cordero come up and get some experience. One of the middle relievers could also be moved. Who knows.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

What about Mario Ramos, Doc?

In spring training it seemed like he was touted as the closest-to-ready farmhand.

I say we ought to hang onto Juan. He wants to be here, and he's a bargain if he produces, which he will eventually do.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:30 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

give ramos time, it was expected that he actually needed to spend the entire year in AAA.
hopefully he'll be ready sometime late this year or next.

it woudl be nice to see the rangers go with some of the younger guys.

what will be key is if they can get chan ho park to leave via free agency this off season
this will take a chunk out of the payroll
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:38 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

tradeable commodities:
Juan Gonzalez- the Yankees will be looking to add an outfielder at some point during this season. Beware of the yankees though, there prospects are often over-hyped.

Catalanato- i would like to see the rangers hold onto their leadoff hitter, but there is definitely a market for a guy that can lead off and get on base

Kapler - Rangers are simply waiting for the "best" offer

Ismael Valdes - a relatively cheap starter that has been very impressive so far. Boston may want to add a starter once a couple of the guys that have held together their starting rotation go south (i.e., darren oliver)

Mike Lanb - he has a history of being able to hit but won't bring much. He could be filler in a deal with one of the above guys

Irabu - if he continues to be successful as a closer, he will have value because of how inexpensive he is.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:56 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Rhylan- Ramos will not see a call up this year. Even when the rosters expand. The plans were to develop him all season in AAA, although having seen him in person, he can be major league quality or AA batting practice. He needs to find consistency.

Cat will not be traded.

Irabu is already drawing interest and if the Rangers feel there is no way to make a late run then he could be gone.

Lamb and Kapler will be traded.

Valdez will be a Ranger next year.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:15 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, good thing the Lakers lost tonight, because the Rangers lost 11-4. Park went 3 1/3 and allowed 6 ER.

I have waited my WHOLE LIFE to live up here. So I could go to games. I finally get here, and they SUCK. I want to go burn the Ballpark down. So ya'll know who did it if you hear it on the news [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 11:17 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Rhylan is bad luck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Park has been a HUGE disappointment. My beloved Rangers suck ass again. Why do they insist on ripping my heart out year after year?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:22 PM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

I might be, Doc. I've been to 10 or 11 Rangers games in my life. From 1988 to last summer. I've only seen them win once that I can remember, possibly twice.

The Mavs, on the other hand, I am 13-4 lifetime since 1995. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 11:23 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

get Rhylan season tix to the Mavs and ban him for life from the ballpark.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 11:29 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

The first part of that is all but done, as soon as one of my dork friends can decide whether or not he's going to find a job here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 11:32 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I plan on going in with a friend of mine on a block of season tix. I'll probably catch 30-40% of the home games.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:39 PM   #14
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

I'm still not exactly sure how my situation is going to work out, but I will not miss any preseason or home games next year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

30-40% isn't bad, coming from Waco!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:46 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

I am going in with two others and we draft for tickets. I get third pick this year so I get picks 3,4,9,10 and then we alternate after that where I get the first tickets in a 3,2,1, 3,2,1 format. Make sense? It's a good deal for all of us. We save some money and all get good games. Last year I had first pick and half the time I got to trade tix for whatever games I wanted. These guys miss some games too and I can buy them at 50% when that happens.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:08 AM   #16
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty decent setup. Where are the seats at?
Old 05-29-2002, 12:12 AM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Not sure yet. One of the guys is a opthamologist and he gets them each year. Always good seats. He gets another set with a second group so sometimes I even get to go on those. Those tix are more expensive than the ones I go in for.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:12 AM   #18
Drbio
Banned

I'll post them when I know. That way some of you can stop buy and I'll buy you a beer.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:14 AM   #19
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

It looks like my buddy and I are gonna go for $15 seats. But, if he ends up not having a job, and I am going by myself anyway, I may splurge and get some better ones. It's totally up in the air right now.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:18 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

The beer offer always stands open.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:02 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

HOLY CRAP....THE RANGERS WON A GAME!!!!!!!!

This team really sucks right now.