Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs set roster

The indispensible Art Garcia blog brings us the Mavs roster for the year. Not really any surprises. Maybe Mo Ager over Nick Fazekas but not really. DJ/Bass will soak up the extra center minutes.

http://mavscourtsideview.blogspot.co...oster-set.html

Quote:
Monday, October 29, 2007
Official roster set

The NBA released the rosters for all 30 teams today, including the active and inactive lists for the openers. Below is the lineup the Mavs turned into the league for their opener Wednesday night at Cleveland.

Of note: Nick Fazekas is inactive, while DJ Mbenga is active. The coaching staff must think that although Mbenga is recovering from knee surgery, he is more ready to contribute than the rookie forward out of Nevada.

Active list: Mo Ager, JJ Barea, Brandon Bass, Gana Diop, Devin Harris, Trenton Hassell, Josh Howard, Eddie Jones, DJ Mbenga, Dirk Nowitzki, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry.

Inactive List: Erick Dampier, Nick Fazekas, Devean George.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Man... seems like somebodys missing.

Last edited by craggmac; 10-29-2007 at 09:09 PM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

cragg, there are twelve inches in a foot, not ten.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

is george ever going to be healthy again? i'm thinking no.

i was shocked when some lakers fans i knew said he was horrible when we picked him up last year, and now i see why.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

"...including the active and inactive lists for the openers"

With all due respect to Art Garcia, those are NOT the official active-inactive lists. Those are merely "for this moment" designations, inasmuch as the rules mandate the active-inactive designations for a specific game are not due and offered until about an hour or two before each game. What about players who sprain an ankle in practice, get sick on gameday, or whatever?

I suspect Fazekas was put at the bottom of the initial list along with the 2 injured players merely because he is the rookie. While this could possibly be the actual list for Wednesday's game, it could just as easily be changed.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

So will Fazekas be starting the year in the D-League? And how long is George out for?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Fazekas I think will be in the d-league all year except for charity trips. The question I have is who will follow him once damp/george get back???

Ager/????
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Who gets the boot off the active list when George and Damp come back?

wow I was on this thread a few minutes ago, didn't refresh, and posted this. I didn't even see your post dude1394.. my apologies.

I was thinking ager for sure, but who else? DJ? Not bass..

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 10-30-2007 at 12:21 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at that roster, it's actually pretty damn impressive that the worst player on the Mavs roster is probably Maurice Ager (or maybe Fazekas). That says a lot about how many good players we have. Not that either of those guys are any good, but they definitely wouldn't be "the worst" player on most teams.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

My guess would be DJ. If diop/damp/bass are healthy there just won't be a need for a third center. That might change in the playoffs..

Is the playoff roster the same number as the regular season?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

get rid of George and get Juwan back here. George has always been overrated.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 AM   #12
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Trade George!! Sign someone healthy.. or not

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 AM   #13
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Never liked George soo do w/e u want with him...hope he stays inactive.Id rather see Ager get some minutes

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I've always liked Devean George it's just that he can have problems staying healthy. When he is healthy he is a great addition to any team, though.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I've always liked Devean George it's just that he can have problems staying healthy. When he is healthy he is a great addition to any team, though.
Yep. He can certainly contribute when his body lets him. I just have to wonder how often that will be this year.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #16
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Juwan Howard on the way
The Mavericks picked up some much-needed frontline help by agreeing to terms with free agent Juwan Howard today. The contract can’t be completed until Howard clears waivers tomorrow.

Howard (6-9, 253) hit the open market after Minnesota bought out his contract. The power forward has averaged 16.1 points and 7.1 rebounds over his 12-year career, including a stint in Dallas over parts of two season (2000-01 and ’01-02).

“Juwan was too big of an opportunity to pass up,” president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson told mavs.com. “Juwan is a winner, he’s a leader and he knows the Maverick way.

“He can swing from the ‘4’ to ‘5,’ so it gives us tremendous flexibility on the frontline.”

Howard should join the rotation immediately backing up Gana Diop and Dirk Nowitzki up front. The Mavs were in need of help down low, especially with Erick Dampier out. Brandon Bass was the only other healthy big man with NBA experience on the roster.

The team made room for Howard by releasing third-year center DJ Mbenga, who has recently come back from a last year’s season-ending knee injury.

“DJ needs an opportunity to play and develop,” Nelson said. “We appreciate everything he’s done for us and he’s been a big part of our success. We’re hopeful that with playing time, whether it’s in the NBA or Europe, he’ll be able to join our team in the future.”
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Bye Congoman =[

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

Now it looks like Moe/JJB will be in tulsa with Nick.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

But I thought we couldn't land free agents...?

So it looks like we get to see the Jo. Howard and Ju. Howard jerseys now.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #20
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Art Garcia's highly anticipated Tuesday article.

Quote:
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Real Official roster set, for real

The Mavs re-released their roster, including the active and inactive lists for their opener Wednesday night at Cleveland. Monday's release was not official because it was not the re-release.

Of note: Nick Fazekas is inactive, while DJ Mbenga is now officially gone. The coaching staff must think that although Mbenga is recovering from knee surgery, he is more ready to contribute to some other team besides the Mavericks than the rookie forward out of Nevada.

Active list: Mo Ager, JJ Barea, Brandon Bass, Gana Diop, Devin Harris, Trenton Hassell, Josh Howard, Eddie Jones, Juwan Howard, Dirk Nowitzki, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry.

Inactive List: Erick Dampier, Nick Fazekas, Devean George.

It's for real this time. Really.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #21
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Ager should definitely be on that inactive list once Damp and George get back, our guard rotation is solid (especially at the 2). JJB as well, we need more help up front even with Damp healthy so i'd rather give Benga that spot.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #22
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

So our core rotation is:
Dirk
J-Ho
Devin
Terry
Damp
Diop
Stack

I think those are the ONLY ones guaranteed time in the playoffs.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #23
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Roster Breakdown form the Mavs site
Click here

Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Roster Breakdown form the Mavs site
Click here
That's a very interesting read, MackyWah. Two things stand out to me.

First, I wonder if Howard was promised a regular 18 or so minutes a game in exchange for his signature on a Mavericks contract.

Second, for all the bitching and moaning about Nellie's bent toward tweaking the starting lineup according to the opposition, it appears that AJ is going to do the exact same thing. Which, of course, I approve of.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #25
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

The thing is, Bass gets a projected minutes of 15 and Juwan gets 18-25? Why? Is Howard more versatile than Bass so to as Avery can switch him from position to position?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First, I wonder if Howard was promised a regular 18 or so minutes a game in exchange for his signature on a Mavericks contract.
Has he actually signed anything even?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
The thing is, Bass gets a projected minutes of 15 and Juwan gets 18-25? Why? Is Howard more versatile than Bass so to as Avery can switch him from position to position?
Well, yeah. And as much as we like Bass, he is still a project in NBA terms. I'd be ecstatic if he got 15 minutes a game, but I doubt it. The Mavs are--or at least, they should be--trying to win NOW. They didn't sign Howard so that he could wave a towel from the bench, I don't think.

Bass's time will come, if he's up to it. But I can't see him in much of a role this year if everyone is healthy.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

We really haven't seen bass against real nba intensity yet. I'm sure he'll get a chance to show that he can contribute. As far as carving out time for him, I don't know about that. You play the guys who give you the best chance to win..NOW as chum says.

If you consider him a prospect, 15 minutes is pretty good for him. If he plays better than juwan, he'll get more minutes.