Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-24-2001, 03:45 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Shareef lately as a possible offseason acquisition. To get him, we'd probably have to take on Big Country as well though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I'd gladly send Juwan, some picks, and whoever else it would take to balance out the trade for Big Country and Abdur-Rahim. Then hopefully something could be done to get one of the Davis' here (preferably Antonio).
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 03:54 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i think he'd have a hard time adjusting to the 4th option as well. he's a scorer. but maybe he just wants to get off of that team to go anywhere...

don't get me wrong. i would much rather have him than howard (reef has a really good post game), but i don't know if he would fit.

WE NEED ANTONIO DAVIS (if that could happen. maybe just wishful thinking) but i would love to have reef.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:00 PM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I think we would have to give up too much to get Reef. I would like that, Nash, Fin, Reef and Dirk. It wouldn't matter who we put in the middle. However I think we would have to lose, Nash, Dirk or Fin to get him. I wouldn't want to do that in that situation.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:07 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I think we would have to take on Big Country's contract if there sending us Reef, that was the case last year when we supposedly made a push for him.

But, I think we would have to send them Nash, Dirk or Fin along with Howard and other things. Not worth imo. Fin wouldn't agree to that sign-and-trade, assuming he was wanting to leave, and it would be jacked up if Cuban did it after the signing but down the road a bit. Can Finley have a no trade clause put in his contract?

Let's assume they took Howard and Bradley or Booth and say Eisley and something, what option would Reef be on the team? I don't think Finley would settle for 3rd option (which Im thinking most of you would say Reef would have to be 2nd option).
Old 05-24-2001, 04:18 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, business is business, trade fin if you need to
;-)
i'm joking mavsfanfin,

mavsfanfin is right, raheem wouldn't be the 4th option, he would be the second or third.
he's a guy that has averaged 23 points before, although, it wasn't on a particularly good team, and someone has to score on the team.
fin won't want to be the third option, but, i wouldn't mind seeing it. i could handle three guys on the mavs team averaging 20 plus points a game, plus nash average 15-17, that would be nice.

i guess the mavs would put raheem at 3 and dirk at 4, and bradley at 5.
well, dirk would be an upgrade defensively at 4, but the mavs would still need someone at 4 or 5 he could play very, very solid defense.
so, i'm gonna have to say no on the deal, unless they plan on bringing in a banger that can play 4, and then move dirk to 5 in the starting lineup, that would create all kinds of mismatches.
well, we'll see, but i don't think that it will happen. if it gets rid of juwan, i'm all for it.
if the mavs had to take on big country, you could bet booth or bradley would definitely be gone
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 04:27 PM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

I tell you what, I could take Fin being a third option, even a fourth option. However if Cuban decided to trade Fin to a LOSING team to bring ANYONE in here. I would PRAY every single night the Mavericks lose every game after they did that. That would be SO FOUL. I felt that way for Hubert Davis actually, but I'm not as big a fan of his. I thought that sucked for him too, but if they did that to Fin....
Old 05-24-2001, 04:32 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hey, business is business, i would hate for fin to play for anyone other than the mavs either.

now, if it was dirk playing for anyone else because of a trade, i would drop the mavs in no time, and wish nothing less than an 0-82 record for the group, with nash scoring 30 a night, though, i'd still wish good things for him.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:44 PM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

maybe, just maybe, reeves is the banger we're looking for... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2001, 04:44 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Hales, I agree with your remark about shipping Davis to a losing team after his role here but to ship Finley to a team like the Grizz is just a horrific thought and lack of loyalty. I know this is a business and things happen but certain players you don't stab in the back and I think Finley is one of them. I think Cuban and Nelson think that way and if a time came when they thought trading Fin, Dirk or Nash bettered the team, I think they would work a better deal for them and show some consideration in where they are sending them imo.

Murph, I couldn't stand Finley becoming a 3rd option here unless Shaq was coming. I could tollerate Shaq, then Dirk and then Finley but I couldn't handle Finley having to play 3rd wheel to both Dirk and Reef. I know Reef has talent, Im not knocking his game at all but I have a hard time seeing Cuban and Nelson bringing in a player that could take away Fin or Dirk's game.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:48 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

This deal just isn't going to happen. The big reason Vancouver was even talking about trading Reef was because they wanted to dump Big Countrie's salary and get under the cap. There is no way they would even think about Howard. The Griz would have loved Nash, but now that they are moving from Canada, I doubt they would do the trade even if Dallas was interested. In any case, the Shareef doesn't really improve the Mavs all that much. He is not a great defender or rebounder, which is what the Mavs really need.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 04:52 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

yeah, i don't see the deal happening, but, just exploring "what if".
if shareef came, the mavs would probably have 3 guys at or about 20-21 points, and none of them would necessarily be the second-third option. but, dirk would probably be the team leader in scoring
Old 05-24-2001, 04:52 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

he averaged about 9 boards a game this year, but again, possibly inflated stats on a bad team (who else on their team CAN rebound?).
Old 05-24-2001, 04:52 PM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

Let's put it this way, if the Mavs bring in anyone, they're going to have to at best be a third option because Dirk NOR Fin are going to be a third option. Rather I should say neither are going to accept it. I'm sure neither of them mind being first or second option, but to take back seat to someone else who they brought in from the outside after the season they had last year, I think we would see the ugly side of one of them. So that's why I say bring in a banger or someone for the low post, but if we bring in another BIG time scorer, we will have trouble in BIG D.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:02 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

if dirk plays 4 or 5 next year, he'll definitely average 10 boards a game. but, i do think bringing shareef in would be a slight, but only a slight upgrade on rebounding (that is, bringing shareef in and getting rid of juwan)
Old 05-24-2001, 05:05 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

Of course, I'm not saying bring Shareef would be a downgrade, it would be an upgrade for sure. However if we kept Fin and Dirk in a transaction like that, one of the three would not be happy. I don't think Nash would mind taking a step back, but either Dirk, Fin or Reef would not be happy.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:06 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

their wouldn't necessarily have to be a defined 1st, 2nd, or third option.
i doubt fin or dirk would be a problem, maybe shareef though, don't know a whole lot about his personality
Old 05-24-2001, 05:23 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

Yeah but you're talking about three people who next year all would like to put up atleast 20 shots per game. I don't think it would be that many shots to go around, someone would be unhappy. Maybe Juwan would be [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2001, 10:53 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

juwan would be in vancouver, remember
isn't that the idea of bringing shareef in, to get rid of juwan?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2001, 10:57 PM   #19
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Everyone knows how I feel. I've pushed for Shareef trade alll year. He'd be a GREAT addition and IMO would except a roll as the 3rd option(Dirk 1, Finley 2). I'd even be willing to take Big Country if that's what it would take to get him here.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 11:39 PM   #20
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

What do you guys have against Big Country? He's pretty talented offensively and probably better than 75% of the centers in the league...
Old 05-25-2001, 09:48 AM   #21
TheKid
Diamond Member

There aren't many TRUE centers in the league. However Big Country is fine, I would take him, but be realistic, we would lose Bradley. To be honest, I would prefer Bradley over Big Country.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:53 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

for one, he's never averaged more than 8.1 rebounds per game and he has a very poor rebound per 48 minutes average
Old 05-25-2001, 10:21 AM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

Who Big Country or Bradley?
Old 05-25-2001, 10:24 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

big country
Old 05-25-2001, 11:06 AM   #25
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

Big Country is a Shawn Bradley wannabe. Bradley has people fooled into thinking he is an asset to a team, when in actuallity, he sucks.
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 03:06 PM   #26
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Shareef is on the market anymore. And I wouldn't takeB ig Country under any circumstances.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 08:49 PM   #27
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I don't think we need Shareef.... already enough shot-takers. We need the strong defensive post player (eg, either of the Davis bros) and some backup guard help.