keep dirk, blow up the core, pursue a mid-range FA 1 1.00%
blow up everything, pursue a big-name FA 3 3.00%
blow up everything, rebuild 9 9.00%
keep dirk, keep the core, replace/resign Damp 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #81
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
You have to be able to play the half court to play in the playoffs. I'm not interested in forces on the break. You're really doing Johnson a disservice by calling him a jump shooter.
I just know what I saw yesterday was VERY troubling. He was at home, playing an elite team and they needed to play a "perfect game" and what did he do? He basically started out 0-5, all jumpers and they seemed forced.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #82
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

jthig is changing my mind, but there are still concerns with JJ

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #83
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I just know what I saw yesterday was VERY troubling. He was at home, playing an elite team and they needed to play a "perfect game" and what did he do? He basically started out 0-5, all jumpers and they seemed forced.
Go look through the shot info at Hoopdata.

I just think we're losing site of the whole point of this offseason a little bit. Arguing about which style is best has some merit, but the bottom line is that this team needs a true second star. A true OFFENSIVE second star. Joe Johnson is an offensive stud that creates offense himself, passes well, and scores in multiple ways.

Andre Iguodala is not a creator of offense. He's a very nice player in his own right, no doubt. And if we didn't already have Marion, Iguodala might be the logical choice because of what he brings defensively. But Joe Johnson would bring much more of what this team needs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #84
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
jthig is changing my mind, but there are still concerns with JJ
There are concerns with anyone not named Lebron...and maybe Wade.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #85
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Go look through the shot info at Hoopdata.

I just think we're losing site of the whole point of this offseason a little bit. Arguing about which style is best has some merit, but the bottom line is that this team needs a true second star. A true OFFENSIVE second star. Joe Johnson is an offensive stud that creates offense himself, passes well, and scores in multiple ways.

Andre Iguodala is not a creator of offense. He's a very nice player in his own right, no doubt. And if we didn't already have Marion, Iguodala might be the logical choice because of what he brings defensively. But Joe Johnson would bring much more of what this team needs.
That's true but I'm just looking at what he's done in the playoffs as of late. Honestly, the regular season doesn't do jack for me anymore. I said the Mavs basically need to take the Spurs approach and just find your way into the playoffs and conserve your studs. He has been atrocious in this series and had 2-3 poor shooting games against a good defense in Milwaukee and they were short-handed. I am agreeing Joe Johnson is a solid player but calling him a home run is debatable. He definitely isn't helping his cause right now.

edit: the stats do suggest he has versatility. I'm not a JJ-hater, don't get me wrong. It's just I'm concerned with his ability to disappear and go into jump-shooting mode when things get tough. The playoffs are definitely leaving a bitter taste in them mouth.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-09-2010 at 02:27 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #86
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'm willing to dismiss the playoff results with Atlanta because they came with Joe being the primary offensive player. Pair him with a player like Dirk and he's not going to be forcing shots like that.

I understand how his most recent performances would leave a bad taste in your mouth, but I think it's dangerous to draw conclusions from such a small sample size. We certainly aren't kind to the one poster around that keeps mentioning Dirk's Golden State series.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #87
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

if we cant get Dwade,Joe Johnson or a legitimate non washed up SG..then jus trade dirk Cuban...theres no point to get all hyped up then once postseason comes were another 1st or 2nd round exit!
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #88
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't understand people wanting Iggy over Johnson
I'm the one who started the Iggy talk and it really boiled down to two factors:

1) Availability - I think we're a lot more likely to land Iggy than Johnson.
2) The possibility of adding Dalembert or Brand to the deal (it's Cuban's money - I was just brainstorming...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #89
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Would anyone agree with me, that this team is good enough ?
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #90
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
Would anyone agree with me, that this team is good enough ?
????? obviously not if we lost in the 1st round lol
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #91
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This perception that Joe Johnson shoots a ton of 20ft jumpers in patently false. It's true that Iggy is a better slasher, but Joe Johnson is hardly simply a jump shooter. Joe Johnson is a big dude for a pretty mobile shooting guard, and you know what that translates into? POSTUPS. The thing people around here are always crying for. Iggy is an all or nothing guy. He's either making a dunk or shooting long 2's and 3's.

Johnson is a much more rounded offensive player who gets his shots from a variety of positions on the floor. I've been poking around Hoopdata looking at where both players get their shot attempts, and it's just further driven home my opinion that Johson is the superior player and better fit for this team. Slashers are nice, but they are almost always more reliant on their teammates for buckets. And yes Joe Johnson takes his fair share of jump shots, but he's hardly a player in the mold of, say, Jason Terry. He's much more well rounded than that.

Also, while he's certainly not in Iguadala's class, I would consider Johnson to be a capable defender.

I also don't understand why people have this notion that Joe Johnson isn't going anywhere. I personally think he's pretty unlikely to go back to Atlanta.

I will end this post with two pictures that I think tell an important story
Johnson doesn't shoot a lot of 20 footers? Five 16-23 footers and 4.5 threes per game. Butler shoots six 16-23 footers.

Let's not think I'm entirely against Joe Johnson, and that I'm going to take every chance I can get to bash him. He's a better player than Butler and Iggy because he scores more. Why does he score more? He has a good jump shot, better than Butler's and way better than Iggy's.

However, the stats show he shoots more jumpers than both Iggy and Butler. We've complained about Caron not driving enough...Johnson shoots less. I understand he'll make more than Caron. But it would sure be nice to get someone who could drive more.

I'm not debating that Johnson can't drive. He has some abilities. And yes, he does shoot more jumpers closer to the basket than the other people we mentioned, indicating a drive and pull, or a post up. But at the end of the day, about 80% of his shots are jumpers and about 70% of Butler's and Iggy's shots are jumpers. Over 82 games that's a significant difference.

There is the Iguodala issue. I'm not advocating we go get him. I've said he might fit, not that I necessarily want him. He can't shoot threes well...that's a problem when you have Marion and (possibly) Butler also at the 3. Not only threes he shoots poorly...overall he's not the greatest shooter. He doesn't drive as much as I thought (I was hoping he'd be about 35% drive, he's at 29%). But I think we could make him fit with Dirk and Butler if that's the best trade we can make (a trade for Iggy), because I know Johnson and Wade aren't going to be easy to come by.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #92
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

And yes, I know I mentioned I wasn't sure Johnson is leaving, but I don't really believe that. 6 months ago, 3 months ago, yes I did. I'm not so sure anymore, with their playoff play. The only reason I could give is that the team is still rather young, but they're not so young that they're going to improve like the Thunder did this year.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #93
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Johnson doesn't shoot a lot of 20 footers? Five 16-23 footers and 4.5 threes per game. Butler shoots six 16-23 footers.
Johnson attempted 4.8 16-23ft jumpers and 4.3 threes.

Iggy attempted 4.3 and 3.7

And Johnson attempted four more attempts total per game.

In fact, if you actually run the numbers, jump shots from 16ft and out (including threes) made up a higher percentage of Iggy's game than JJ's (57% vs 50%).

Now, Iggy also shoots a lot (and very, very well) at the rim, but he is all or nothing. He either drives to the bucket or shoots long jumpers (poorly). While Johnson is more versatile.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-09-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #94
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

The Suns are playing quite good. And they are not better than the Mavs.
I´m not a fan of hire and fire.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #95
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all

Well, at least Iguodala gives the Spurs fits. Last 4 years vs SA:

9-17 for 27 pts
8-14 for 20 pts
6-11 for 19 pts
9-18 for 25 pts
10-15 for 25 pts
7-11 for 21 pts
7-18 for 21 pts
7-12 for 20 pts

22.3 ppg at 54.3% shooting on average. Apparently they can't guard him...
Old 05-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #96
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Johnson attempted 4.8 16-23ft jumpers and 4.3 threes.

Iggy attempted 4.3 and 3.7

And Johnson attempted four more attempts total per game.

In fact, if you actually run the numbers, jump shots from 16ft and out (including threes) made up a higher percentage of Iggy's game than JJ's (57% vs 50%).

Now, Iggy also shoots a lot (and very, very well) at the rim, but he is all or nothing. He either drives to the bucket or shoots long jumpers (poorly). While Johnson is more versatile.
I don't like Iggy's lack of outside game, not at all. I like the fact JJ may not drive much, but gets close jumpers.

My question is this: which would adjust better to coming to Dallas. Who could take the best advantage of the doubles on Dirk or the ball movement by Kidd or the drive and kicks by Roddy? I'd think Iggy start driving more, because he has an attack mentality. Johnson seems to have a jump shot mentality.

Personally, I'd prefer a player who can slash, cut and finish strong over a spot up jump shooters, because the former is much harder to find.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #97
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I don't like Iggy's lack of outside game, not at all. I like the fact JJ may not drive much, but gets close jumpers.

My question is this: which would adjust better to coming to Dallas. Who could take the best advantage of the doubles on Dirk or the ball movement by Kidd or the drive and kicks by Roddy? I'd think Iggy start driving more, because he has an attack mentality. Johnson seems to have a jump shot mentality.

Personally, I'd prefer a player who can slash, cut and finish strong over a spot up jump shooters, because the former is much harder to find.
And I'm more interested in having a player that can create offense himself. Johnson CAN spot up for the jump shot, making him a better fit to play off a player like Dirk, but he can also create his own offense, which would take more pressure off Dirk.

If they were the same level of player, I could maybe see the argument in getting the player better at attacking the rim, but they're not, so give me the better player who still fits pretty well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #98
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I'm willing to dismiss the playoff results with Atlanta because they came with Joe being the primary offensive player. Pair him with a player like Dirk and he's not going to be forcing shots like that.

I understand how his most recent performances would leave a bad taste in your mouth, but I think it's dangerous to draw conclusions from such a small sample size. We certainly aren't kind to the one poster around that keeps mentioning Dirk's Golden State series.
It's not necessarily just this run, sure he was hobbled with injuries a bit last year but he still didn't perform. In a Game 7 versus Boston the team pretty much laid down and he shot 24 percent.

But with this game I saw the first quarter of I don't see how he can get off the hook. If he is so great at creating offense for himself, why do the first 5 shots end up being jumpers and you go 3-15 in the game? If he's creative, attack the basket or do something inside of 15 feet, Howard has been abused with foul calls...test him. I just didn't like the "lead by example" quality right there. Talent or no talent, you just carry your team and show off the versatility. I didn't see anything out there other than someone who was already defeated. They were already talking after game 1 and game 2 that it'll take a perfect game to beat the Magic...that doesn't cut it. Guys like Lebron and Wade, they attack and will go down trying...I don't necessarily get that with Joe.

I would think the writing is on the wall that he's gonna leave. He's going to command top dollar and Atlanta now realizes they are far far away from being considered an elite team in the East. They've held on to that core group for at least 3-4 years and its not gotten them past the semi's. They're young, but they're not growing out of their immature tendencies.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-09-2010 at 07:56 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #99
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
And I'm more interested in having a player that can create offense himself. Johnson CAN spot up for the jump shot, making him a better fit to play off a player like Dirk, but he can also create his own offense, which would take more pressure off Dirk.

If they were the same level of player, I could maybe see the argument in getting the player better at attacking the rim, but they're not, so give me the better player who still fits pretty well.
Just out of curiosity...what is an Igoudala drive? Is that not creating his own offense? Sometimes the lane will open up because of a drive and kick, or passing around the horn, but most of the time a drive would be considered creating his own offense.

I mean, Butler could create his own offense. Butler in isolation was a solid offensive option for us on some nights. But he's under the bus now. So is someone who can create his own offense what we really need? Or do we need someone who adds the most to our team by giving us strengths in the team's areas of weakness?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #100
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

Kirk Hinrich for the Jet???
Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #101
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Just out of curiosity...what is an Igoudala drive? Is that not creating his own offense? Sometimes the lane will open up because of a drive and kick, or passing around the horn, but most of the time a drive would be considered creating his own offense.

I mean, Butler could create his own offense. Butler in isolation was a solid offensive option for us on some nights. But he's under the bus now. So is someone who can create his own offense what we really need? Or do we need someone who adds the most to our team by giving us strengths in the team's areas of weakness?
But Johnson's offense is not just for himself. To be fair, neither is Iguodala's, he's a pretty darn good passer. But so is Johnson, and he creates MORE offense because he's a much better offensive player. Andre Iguodala is barely an offensive upgrade over Butler, if one at all. And he's an especially terrible fit to play alongside Marion. Why would you make it a priority to acquire a player that would fit terribly with one of your primary rotation members?

I have to say, I'm pretty confounded by the continued notion that Johnson adds to this team's reliance on jump shooting and Iggy doesn't. I've just shown the stats, they're both equally reliant on long jump shots. So when they are throwing up the long jump shots that they take in relatively equal numbers (percentage wise), Johnson shoots a higher percentage. And when they're not shooting long jumpers, Johnson is posting up and Iggy is driving to the rim. And on the whole Johnson is a more prolific and more well rounded scorer.

I'll say this again...if they're equal overall players then I'm willing to discuss how they fit. But when one is a significantly better player than the other, which is the case here, I'm not really considering fit unless the much better one is a terrible fit (see Bosh vs Johnson).

It would be somewhat like saying you want Wade over Lebron because Wade's a much better fit. Not to quite that magnitude, but I think it's a decent example.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-09-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
It's not necessarily just this run, sure he was hobbled with injuries a bit last year but he still didn't perform. In a Game 7 versus Boston the team pretty much laid down and he shot 24 percent.

But with this game I saw the first quarter of I don't see how he can get off the hook. If he is so great at creating offense for himself, why do the first 5 shots end up being jumpers and you go 3-15 in the game? If he's creative, attack the basket or do something inside of 15 feet, Howard has been abused with foul calls...test him. I just didn't like the "lead by example" quality right there. Talent or no talent, you just carry your team and show off the versatility. I didn't see anything out there other than someone who was already defeated. They were already talking after game 1 and game 2 that it'll take a perfect game to beat the Magic...that doesn't cut it. Guys like Lebron and Wade, they attack and will go down trying...I don't necessarily get that with Joe.

I would think the writing is on the wall that he's gonna leave. He's going to command top dollar and Atlanta now realizes they are far far away from being considered an elite team in the East. They've held on to that core group for at least 3-4 years and its not gotten them past the semi's. They're young, but they're not growing out of their immature tendencies.
Without looking at any specific stats, I would imagine you could draw observations like this on a lot of second bananas that tried to carry their teams in the playoffs. Gasol comes to mind, for instance.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #103
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Without looking at any specific stats, I would imagine you could draw observations like this on a lot of second bananas that tried to carry their teams in the playoffs. Gasol comes to mind, for instance.
I think other than his last full year in Memphis which had them facing Dallas, he held his own. If not twenty then nearly twenty points a game with shooting percentages above 50% on average.

I dunno, I'm just really hesitant with the idea of Joe on board. He's been used to being a number 1, he's gonna get paid like a number one and then he has to slide to the number 2 spot. With the money and expectations, he has to be a can't miss option.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #104
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I think other than his last full year in Memphis which had them facing Dallas, he held his own. If not twenty then nearly twenty points a game with shooting percentages above 50% on average.

I dunno, I'm just really hesitant with the idea of Joe on board. He's been used to being a number 1, he's gonna get paid like a number one and then he has to slide to the number 2 spot. With the money and expectations, he has to be a can't miss option.
Well he'll have plenty of teams wanting him to come be the main guy. Heck he can stay in Atlanta as the main guy. If he chooses to come here, I have to imagine he'll know what he's signing on for.

He chose to leave Phoenix and go be the guy in Atlanta. Maybe he's learned his lesson.

As far as can't miss option, those are named Lebron and Wade. Beyond that....no such thing. Personally I'm betting on Joe Johnson third after them.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #105
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Well he'll have plenty of teams wanting him to come be the main guy. Heck he can stay in Atlanta as the main guy. If he chooses to come here, I have to imagine he'll know what he's signing on for.

He chose to leave Phoenix and go be the guy in Atlanta. Maybe he's learned his lesson.

As far as can't miss option, those are named Lebron and Wade. Beyond that....no such thing. Personally I'm betting on Joe Johnson third after them.
That's why I've been saying it REALLY sucks in our situation right now. I know Cuban is going to go to the max on trying to go after LeBron or Wade, and no matter how hard he tries it might not even matter. Our options are limited on players that can actually fill the need we have and be certain that they can actually fill the role.

I would definitely have him as 3rd as well, but I'm not overly excited or convinced once you get past 2nd
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #106
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
But Johnson's offense is not just for himself. To be fair, neither is Iguodala's, he's a pretty darn good passer. But so is Johnson, and he creates MORE offense because he's a much better offensive player. Andre Iguodala is barely an offensive upgrade over Butler, if one at all. And he's an especially terrible fit to play alongside Marion. Why would you make it a priority to acquire a player that would fit terribly with one of your primary rotation members?

I have to say, I'm pretty confounded by the continued notion that Johnson adds to this team's reliance on jump shooting and Iggy doesn't. I've just shown the stats, they're both equally reliant on long jump shots. So when they are throwing up the long jump shots that they take in relatively equal numbers (percentage wise), Johnson shoots a higher percentage. And when they're not shooting long jumpers, Johnson is posting up and Iggy is driving to the rim. And on the whole Johnson is a more prolific and more well rounded scorer.

I'll say this again...if they're equal overall players then I'm willing to discuss how they fit. But when one is a significantly better player than the other, which is the case here, I'm not really considering fit unless the much better one is a terrible fit (see Bosh vs Johnson).

It would be somewhat like saying you want Wade over Lebron because Wade's a much better fit. Not to quite that magnitude, but I think it's a decent example.
Well, my main thinking is that Iguodala has more of a driving, slashing mentality. If he came to a place with a passing point guard, a big needing to be doubled...all the stuff we'd talk about...he'd be able to drive more and shot less jumpers. He does shot a lot of jumpers this year, but he's on a bad team without other people to create. No, I can't prove a player's mentality, but I do find it interesting that in the 08-09 season, Iggy's splits were much more drive heavy: 64%/36%. And remember, Iggy had some injury problems this year

Johnson, in my opinion, has a shooter's mentality. And he can shoot. And he can hit tough, contested shots. All of that. Bit in 08-09, Johnson shot even more jumpers: 80%/20% split. That's why I think he's going to shoot jumpers no matter the situation. He doesn't have the driving ability that Iguodala has...maybe Iguodala doesn't do it enough, but there is no doubt Iguodala is better at it.

And I think Iggy and JJ aren't as far apart as you think. Yes, JJ is a better scorer overall (1.5 more PPG over his career, 4 more PPG last year). But Iggy is a better rebounder, better passer, better defender, is younger, and actually shoots a higher percentage from the floor over his career.

So I'll be honest. Straight up, JJ or Iggy? But trades are never straight up and considering the players that would have to be given up for one or the other, and considering all the other factors that go into the decision making, I'd rather the Mavericks pursue Iguodala.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #107
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well, my main thinking is that Iguodala has more of a driving, slashing mentality. If he came to a place with a passing point guard, a big needing to be doubled...all the stuff we'd talk about...he'd be able to drive more and shot less jumpers. He does shot a lot of jumpers this year, but he's on a bad team without other people to create. No, I can't prove a player's mentality, but I do find it interesting that in the 08-09 season, Iggy's splits were much more drive heavy: 64%/36%. And remember, Iggy had some injury problems this year

Johnson, in my opinion, has a shooter's mentality. And he can shoot. And he can hit tough, contested shots. All of that. Bit in 08-09, Johnson shot even more jumpers: 80%/20% split. That's why I think he's going to shoot jumpers no matter the situation. He doesn't have the driving ability that Iguodala has...maybe Iguodala doesn't do it enough, but there is no doubt Iguodala is better at it.

And I think Iggy and JJ aren't as far apart as you think. Yes, JJ is a better scorer overall (1.5 more PPG over his career, 4 more PPG last year). But Iggy is a better rebounder, better passer, better defender, is younger, and actually shoots a higher percentage from the floor over his career.

So I'll be honest. Straight up, JJ or Iggy? But trades are never straight up and considering the players that would have to be given up for one or the other, and considering all the other factors that go into the decision making, I'd rather the Mavericks pursue Iguodala.
so, what do you think about Hinrich for the JET straight up?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #108
tcat075
Diamond Member

If we do acquire Joe Johnson, then I'd be happy. I think I'd be happier if we got Iggy, but I'd be happy for JJ. I'd hope like hell we get either a scoring big man (not Shaq...he's done) or a driving wing, but I'd be happy for Johnson.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #109
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBEEF View Post
so, what do you think about Hinrich for the JET straight up?
Does that trade work, first of all? I don't think I'd hate that move, though. I've seen some people say keep JET and move him to a lesser role. I don't think JET could accept that, but this trade would, in effect, do so. Hinrich is a shooter, percentages similar to JET, isn't as good of a shooter but in a lesser role, it would balance out. And he plays defense.

I'm not a Kirk Hinrich expert, though. And like I said...does the money work out? I think Chicago might do it...JET does score more and I think they're low on Hinrich. But let's not overrate JET's value...its pretty low after a poor season and a poorer playoff series.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #110
KINGBEEF

Quote:
Does that trade work, first of all? I don't think I'd hate that move, though. I've seen some people say keep JET and move him to a lesser role. I don't think JET could accept that, but this trade would, in effect, do so. Hinrich is a shooter, percentages similar to JET, isn't as good of a shooter but in a lesser role, it would balance out. And he plays defense.

I'm not a Kirk Hinrich expert, though. And like I said...does the money work out? I think Chicago might do it...JET does score more and I think they're low on Hinrich. But let's not overrate JET's value...its pretty low after a poor season and a poorer playoff series.

I believe money wise it's almost a push. Age wise, Hinrich has the advantage. I've seen Hinrich play and he's NOT better than the JET, but like you said if JET's gonna take a lesser role on our team, well Chicago might not sound as bad for him. Plus Hinrich could play the lesser role on our team and still have the shot accuracy as the JET. I think Chicago might go for it because they need another scorer to help out Rose. That's if they don't get Wade!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #111
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Be flexible...

First goal is to win a championship...thus go out and make every effort to secure the best talent available to form next years team.

If you can land one or two of the BLUE Chip FA's, then go for it...go all in, let nothing stop you.

However if those Blue Chippers go off the board, have a back-up plan ready...

What options to you have? What value do you have that can provide you with higher value in the future?

50 wins and out in the playoffs is NO LONGER an Option...it's all or nothing at this point.

The question...what would it take to get those Blue Chippers interested in coming to Dallas?

Time to recruit and negotiate!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #112
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBEEF View Post
I believe money wise it's almost a push. Age wise, Hinrich has the advantage. I've seen Hinrich play and he's NOT better than the JET, but like you said if JET's gonna take a lesser role on our team, well Chicago might not sound as bad for him. Plus Hinrich could play the lesser role on our team and still have the shot accuracy as the JET. I think Chicago might go for it because they need another scorer to help out Rose. That's if they don't get Wade!!!
Yeah, if they got Wade they wouldn't have room for JET. Wade's undersized as it is, they don't need another undersized combo guard.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #113
KINGBEEF

Quote:
Yeah, if they got Wade they wouldn't have room for JET. Wade's undersized as it is, they don't need another undersized combo guard.
Right but I said that's "IF" they don't get Wade. I'm thinking they would go for the Hinrich / JET trade.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #114
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree that Iggy and Marion are a terrible fit playing together. Granted, both leave something to be desired relative to the standards of their positions when it comes to scoring efficiency on non-dunks; but I think the combination of Dirk's unique offensive skillset, Kidd's late-life emergence as a legit three-point threat, and the defense that both Iggy and Marion can play more than compensate for those concerns. Of course, both the Iggy+Caron and JJ+Marion duos would seem to have the potential to provide better balance.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #115
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
The Suns are playing quite good. And they are not better than the Mavs.
I´m not a fan of hire and fire.

The ostrich and I un-concur.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #116
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure i'd give up Butler in a deal for Joe Johnson or Iggy. i understand UD's point. w/Iggy you are presumably getting back a back-up big(Dalembert). but is Damp/Butler too much to give up for JJ? i kind of feel like it is.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #117
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i also think Bosh should be our 3rd option behind LeBron and DWade. the question is do you give up Roddy to get him? Dust/Butler/Roddy i'd say no way. but Dust/Roddy and a pick for Bosh is intriguing.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #118
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
i also think Bosh should be our 3rd option behind LeBron and DWade. the question is do you give up Roddy to get him? Dust/Butler/Roddy i'd say no way. but Dust/Roddy and a pick for Bosh is intriguing.
I don't get the fascination with Bosh. He basically plays the same position as Dirk except Dirk is better than him. We should only consider him is if - god forbid - Dirk leaves. In that case we can give up Dust/Butler/Picks to get him.

A question: If we lose Dirk and we decide to go all in for Bosh, does including a Terry for Torkoglu swap make sense to you all? Because I know for sure that Toronto will try to push his contract on us...
Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #119
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

too many options.

Keep Dirk, Pursue Wade (JJ as back up), do whatever you can to move JET to help progress Roddy's career.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #120
FromDownTown!

FromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
too many options.

Keep Dirk, Pursue Wade (JJ as back up), do whatever you can to move JET to help progress Roddy's career.
Now were talking. I think D.Wade would be our best option this summer. Keep Kidd, Roddy, Dirk(?), and Haywood. If Dirk Leaves pursue Bosh to replace him.
FromDownTown! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, <tea bagging>, clutchxpert#41