Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #801
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
I will definitely give you that you can make a better case for him picking Cleveland over Dallas in terms of long term than in terms of just this season.

The very real deficiencies of a starting lineup featuring J. Nelson/Rondo/Harris, Ellis, aging Dirk, and Tyson could have looked a lot different when you think about LeBron starting at small forward.
Of course we can never know with certainty. We are dealing woth hypotheticals.
But I think an upgrade from Parsons to LBJ for the Mavs would given the Mavs a great shot to get to the Finals. Or an upgrade from Richard Jefferson to LeBron, when dealing with the playoffs.
Looking at what LeBron is doing with a bunch of scrubs holding their own against Golden State, you don't think he could have done as well with Harris, Ellis, Dirk and Tyson around him?
Also significant is that I don't think an East team without LeBron has a chance in the finals.
I just don't understand your argument at all. Yeah, an upgrade of Parsons to Lebron would give the Mavs a chance to make the finals. An upgrade of ANYONE to LBJ gives that team a chance to make the finals. What does that mean to Lebron? It seems like you're looking at it from the prospective team's perspective, not from Lebron's.

There's a reason that Dallas was NEVER in the conversation for getting Lebron. Nobody at any point EVER speculated that there was even the slightest chance that Lebron would come to Dallas. We're an old as dirt, second tier playoff team with not a single young promising player that has a shred of upside. Not to mention that we have basically no chance of improving through the draft. As far as playoff teams go, I don't think there's one with worse prospects for Lebron. Seriously, I have no idea where you're getting this idea from that the Mavs would be a good opportunity for Lebron. You're seriously telling me that playing with Ellis, Tyson Chandler, a near-retirement Dirk and a bunch of scrubs is a better opportunity for Lebron than playing with Irving, Love, Waiters and a bunch of scrubs? Especially when considering that Cleveland had significantly more roster flexibility to improve (and indeed, ended up using that flexibility to bring in Mozgov, Smith and Shumpert?) Even looking at this one season in a vacuum, not considering the rest of Lebron's career, that still makes no sense to me. The Mavs would have been a TERRIBLE choice for Lebron. Seriously. Terrible.

Quote:
The long term:
Yes, Cleveland has more youth and had a first round pick. But look what they did with it. But overall I don't think their team has a history of very good management.
I think you could have made a case for Dallas as a better option for winning long term with LeBron than Cleveland.
More youth and "a first round pick????" It wasn't just ANY pick, it was the no. 1 pick. "But look at what they did with it." ... Wat???? Uh, what they did with it was use it to acquire a legitimate star in Kevin Love- someone who, when healthy, is pretty much the perfect compliment to Lebron. Even if they hadn't traded for Love, they had a VERY promising player in Andrew Wiggins. I'll give you that the Cavs franchise as a whole has a history of bad management, but David Griffin has only been their GM since 2010, and his track record so far looks pretty sparkling.

I seriously don't know what PLANET you're coming from with this argument. Not only that Cleveland was anything but an outright miraculous opportunity for him (seriously, what better could any player possibly ask for?) but that DALLAS of all places represented a better LONG TERM opportunity? In Cleveland there's a team with multiple young stars and the opportunity to get significantly better over the next several years. In Dallas there's only one 36-year old future HOF'er near the end of his career, an already past his prime Tyson Chandler, a one-dimensional headache of a player in Ellis whose style of play is about the worst possible fit for Lebron imaginable, and pretty much nothing else to work with. Coming to Dallas would have pretty much been career suicide for Lebron.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-12-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #802
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

An upgrade of LeBron could have gotten any number of teams further than they did get. That doesn't mean any team that would get him would have an equal shot at a title. Some teams would be better than others based on the rest of the team. I definitely think all 8 playoff teams in the West would have been better than this year's Cavs, had any of them gotten LeBron. But I was sticking to a couple that had significant cap space in Houston and Dallas.

Ultimately, I disagree with your evaluation of the Mavs and of the Cavaliers team around LeBron...a lot.

The way, I see it, put Cleveland in the West and subtract LeBron and they are not as good as New Orleans. Maybe not as good as Utah.

The Western Conference is a beast. Most agree that Golden State was the best team this year. But there was not a lot separating many of the teams below them.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #803
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
You're seriously telling me that playing with Ellis, Tyson Chandler, a near-retirement Dirk and a bunch of scrubs is a better opportunity for Lebron than playing with Irving, Love, Waiters and a bunch of scrubs?
Absolutely. I do. And that's not about me being a Mavs fan, because I could say the same about a comparison to who he'd have been playing with in Houston.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #804
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
An upgrade of LeBron could have gotten any number of teams further than they did get. That doesn't mean any team that would get him would have an equal shot at a title. Some teams would be better than others based on the rest of the team. I definitely think all 8 playoff teams in the West would have been better than this year's Cavs, had any of them gotten LeBron. But I was sticking to a couple that had significant cap space in Houston and Dallas.

Ultimately, I disagree with your evaluation of the Mavs and of the Cavaliers team around LeBron...a lot.

The way, I see it, put Cleveland in the West and subtract LeBron and they are not as good as New Orleans. Maybe not as good as Utah.

The Western Conference is a beast. Most agree that Golden State was the best team this year. But there was not a lot separating many of the teams below them.
That has nothing to do with anything though. "Subtract Lebron and put them in the West and they're not as good as such and such..." That doesn't even mean anything. That doesn't equate any of those teams being better opportunities for Lebron to win even one championship, let alone multiple championships- which is obviously his goal.

Quote:
Absolutely. I do. And that's not about me being a Mavs fan, because I could say the same about a comparison to who he'd have been playing with in Houston.
I don't know what to tell you, other than that's just crazy. Houston you could make an argument for. You can make the argument that playing with Harden and Howard would have been a better opportunity than Cleveland. I mean, I don't agree, because I don't think he and Harden would fit well together at all, plus Cleveland give him the opportunity to keep winning well into his 30's whereas Houston would be more of "now or never" situation. But Dallas? Dallas would have been career suicide.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #805
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Irving alone is better than anything mavs had going into last free agency. Dirk is old, and as a player wanting to build something you don't go and build with some1 Dirk's age. TC doesn't move the needle if you are Lebron. And Monta if anything he would want him traded I'm sure. Compare that with a budding star in Irving and 1st overall pick and their various other assets... and it's really not close. Even if you don't buy in on the "coming home" aspect you have to at least say it was a factor as well. Lebron is a smart guy. He's not going to join the West with an aging Dirk TC and a poor fit in monta over what the Cavs had with the added elements of staying in the East and getting the "good guy" persona back. To say this would be an easy choice would be an understatement to me.

As far as Houston goes... Some Houston fans actually think that the Single Playoff Game Greatest Turnover Machine James Frauden is better than Lebron. I don't actually have a point except that I wanted to bump this thread with Harden's NBA record holding performance again. And a personal opinion that Lebron wouldn't want to play with Harden and Harden wouldn't want Lebron taking his team from him.

PS- Drug test the entire rockets fan base.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #806
melvind
Banned

melvind can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Irving alone is better than anything mavs had going into last free agency. Dirk is old, and as a player wanting to build something you don't go and build with some1 Dirk's age. TC doesn't move the needle if you are Lebron. And Monta if anything he would want him traded I'm sure. Compare that with a budding star in Irving and 1st overall pick and their various other assets... and it's really not close. Even if you don't buy in on the "coming home" aspect you have to at least say it was a factor as well. Lebron is a smart guy. He's not going to join the West with an aging Dirk TC and a poor fit in monta over what the Cavs had with the added elements of staying in the East and getting the "good guy" persona back. To say this would be an easy choice would be an understatement to me.

As far as Houston goes... Some Houston fans actually think that the Single Playoff Game Greatest Turnover Machine James Frauden is better than Lebron. I don't actually have a point except that I wanted to bump this thread with Harden's NBA record holding performance again. And a personal opinion that Lebron wouldn't want to play with Harden and Harden wouldn't want Lebron taking his team from him.

PS- Drug test the entire rockets fan base.
Just can't keep that Houston hate off your keyboard huh? I know I have given Lebron the credit in this thread of being the best player in the world...I could see Harden not wanting Lebron to take his team from him but I don't think there is anyone Lebron wouldnt want to play with since I am pretty sure he is confident in making anyone on his team much better.....

All this is moot since Cleveland was the only place he was going to go anyways.....
melvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #807
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Not sure I agree with Blatt's decision to go small and sit Mozgov. They're giving up a ton of offensive rebounds.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #808
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Man is Stephen Curry fun to watch. That was a dagger he just drained.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #809
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Man is Stephen Curry fun to watch. That was a dagger he just drained.
And a second dagger ...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #810
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Well this finals is over. No way can the Cavs win two in a row again. No way. A few thoughts from watching the Cavs in these playoffs-

No. 1- Even though the Warriors almost certainly will be the champions, LeBron HAS to be Finals MVP. Absolutely has to. And holy hell, he can't BUY a call in this series. Wtf?

No. 2- On offense, Dellavedova, Shumpert, and Smith all have basketball IQ's lower than their shoe sizes (granted, we've always known that about Smith.) This offseason, Cleveland needs to shop at least two of those guys around and get some better decision makers- you can live with one poor decision maker, but not 3.

No. 3- Even with a healthy Irving and Love, I think Cleveland still would have been overmatched in this series. They need one more scorer/playmaker off the bench.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #811
melvind
Banned

Quote:
Well this finals is over. No way can the Cavs win two in a row again. No way. A few thoughts from watching the Cavs in these playoffs-

No. 1- Even though the Warriors almost certainly will be the champions, LeBron HAS to be Finals MVP. Absolutely has to. And holy hell, he can't BUY a call in this series. Wtf?

No. 2- On offense, Dellavedova, Shumpert, and Smith all have basketball IQ's lower than their shoe sizes (granted, we've always known that about Smith.) This offseason, Cleveland needs to shop at least two of those guys around and get some better decision makers- you can live with one poor decision maker, but not 3.

No. 3- Even with a healthy Irving and Love, I think Cleveland still would have been overmatched in this series. They need one more scorer/playmaker off the bench.

You don't think Kyrie wouldn't have made a difference? He is a great playmaker and his extra scoring is what the Cavs need right now and also to give the Lebron a rest. Love would have given them more rebounding and 2nd chance scoring.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #812
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvind View Post
You don't think Kyrie wouldn't have made a difference? He is a great playmaker and his extra scoring is what the Cavs need right now and also to give the Lebron a rest. Love would have given them more rebounding and 2nd chance scoring.
It's possible, but top to bottom I think Golden State is a better team- on both sides of the court. They're just more complete. I was more thinking about what the Cavs need to do this offseason. I think every great team needs a dynamic 6th man who can come off the bench and score 20+ on any given night. Cleveland could still win without one, but if they really want to make a truly great team, I think they need their own version of 2011 Jason Terry.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #813
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

@tomhaberstroh: Cavs' 32 FGs tonight in order
($ = scored or ast'd by LeBron, ✖️= not):
1Q:✖️$$$$$$$
2Q: $$$$$$$$$
3Q:✖️✖️✖️✖️$$
4Q:$$$$$$$$✖️

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 06-15-2015 at 05:21 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #814
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:

1. Agree that Lebron should absolutely get Finals MVP. I'm actually glad that he's not getting those calls on the drives to the basket. I think he is initiating the majority of that contact and half the time, it's after multiple hard backdown bumps.

2. Injuries have killed Cleveland, just killed them. They are missing 3 of their 5 starters in Kyrie, Love, and Verajao. Offense will be fine when Kyrie and Love come back. After that, it's whoever is hot which is Smith 10% of the time.

3. Love is barely going to touch the ball outside of jacking up 3 pointers. This team is built so well right now, it's flat out scary. They just need fully healthy bodies and solid coaching which I'm still not sold on Blatt.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #815
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

1) Blatt blinked. Mozgov was killing GS for 4 games, and Blatt benched him. It seemed to work for about a half--CLE was keeping the game slow in the first half, and looked like they could keep it close. But ultimately, opened up the floor for Curry. Advantage: Kerr.

2) Love Curry's shot, but his overall game is kind of passive for an MVP and supposedly 'dominant' player. He looks kind of tentative at times, and extremely careless with the ball in some critical situations. CLE had snuffed him for about 4 games. He seems like he does not attack consistently, but waits for a defensive breakdown. Love that shot though.

3) Iguodala's FT-shooting was a disgrace. Snapshot of what is wrong with the NBA right now: players earning 8-figure salaries, who can't hit FTs.

4)Draymond Green is too hot-headed. 10 years ago he'd have been T'd out of at least a couple of games by now. Grow up, shut up, play ball. He also plays out of control too much, and is prone to really dumb shots and careless passes. Utility player thinks he's a star? And yet, he is productive.

5) J.R.Smith: Trying to think of a player dumber than he is. I don't know how he ever got a reputation as a pressure shooter. Both he and Shumpert looked to be trigger-shy in spots yesterday.

6) Dellavedova might be a little dirty.

7) GS has an entertaining style of play. Not entirely sold on it though. Can't figure out how a depleted CLE has dominated them in some games, and sticks close in others. (Hint to self: LBJ) Will be interesting to see if GS can close it out in CLE, and if not....might be anybody's game. Would love to see them with a rim-protector and a low-post scoring presence.

8)Can't stand listening to the uber-obnoxious Van Gundy and Jackson, especially the latter talking smack about his former players (Bogut and Barnes, in particular, G4). Jackson's situation vis-a-vis GS should've precluded his presence at the broadcast booth this year. "Can I get an 'amen'?"

9) This is an aesthetically ugly but interesting series. Not gonna rank in my all-time list though.

#1: 2011 Mavericks
#2: 2014 Spurs
#3: 1980 Lakers
#4: 1985 & 1987 Lakers (Tie)
#5: 1983 Sixers
Honorable Mention: 1994 Rockets.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 06-15-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #816
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still hoping for bilateral ACL tears for LeBron.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #817
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'm still hoping for bilateral ACL tears for LeBron.
Dude, you're a d!ck........ And I 100% agree with you, so I guess that makes me a d!ck too.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #818
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
1) Blatt blinked. Mozgov was killing GS for 4 games, and Blatt benched him. It seemed to work for about a half--CLE was keeping the game slow in the first half, and looked like they could keep it close. But ultimately, opened up the floor for Curry. Advantage: Kerr.
Couldn't agree more. Saw this graphic on ESPN.com.

On the one hand, the Cavs did keep the game close until the last few minutes, so you can't criticize him too much for making the switch. On the other hand, small lineups only work when you've got the athleticism and the offensive firepower to offset the rebounding and defensive advantage you're sacrificing. GS has it, Cleveland does not. Reminds me of Avery's decision to start George instead of Diop in 2007. The Dubs are so overwhelmingly more talented, the Cavs can't afford to sacrifice one of their only advantages.

On a slightly different note but still related, there's been a lot of talk lately that the past few Finals have vindicated "D'antoni ball." That because teams are winning championships with small lineups, that makes D'antoni anything other than a clown coach. "D'antoni's fingerprints are all over these finals" one article said. Setting aside the fact that D'antoni didn't invent sh*t- it was "Nellie ball" years before it was "D'antoni ball," and Dave Cowens played his entire career at center and won 2 titles back in the 70's- he's still a damn clown, hack coach who got lucky early on by having a ridiculously stacked roster that had the talent to actually succeed with his silly gimmick. He's the M. Night Shyamalan of the NBA.

Quote:
3) Iguodala's FT-shooting was a disgrace. Snapshot of what is wrong with the NBA right now: players earning 8-figure salaries, who can't hit FTs.
It also find it disgraceful that through the 21st century so far, you could probably count on one hand the amount of big men who have any real low post scoring ability. Maybe there's just a dearth of talent which is completely coincidental, but I think it's more likely that young players are just never taught at the high school/college level, or rather they don't teach themselves for some reason.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-15-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #819
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

The Los Angeles Clippers and Charlotte Hornets agree to trade sending Lance Stephenson to LA for Spencer Hawes & Matt Barnes according to Marc Stein.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #820
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
The Los Angeles Clippers and Charlotte Hornets agree to trade sending Lance Stephenson to LA for Spencer Hawes & Matt Barnes according to Marc Stein.
Huh.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #821
melvind
Banned

Quote:
It's possible, but top to bottom I think Golden State is a better team- on both sides of the court. They're just more complete. I was more thinking about what the Cavs need to do this offseason. I think every great team needs a dynamic 6th man who can come off the bench and score 20+ on any given night. Cleveland could still win without one, but if they really want to make a truly great team, I think they need their own version of 2011 Jason Terry.
Agree that Golden St is the better team top to bottom but then I guess the whole NBA needs an upgrade because I don't know who matches up with them from top to bottom Having the best player on your team helps to even out a lot of the shortcomings though and with Kyrie being at least a top 10-15 in the league sure would have helped. He was a 20 point scorer even with Lebron sharing the rock.

Every team in the NBA need a 2011 version of Terry and unfortunately my Rockets will have the 2015 version.....
Old 06-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #822
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Agree that Golden St is the better team top to bottom but then I guess the whole NBA needs an upgrade because I don't know who matches up with them from top to bottom Having the best player on your team helps to even out a lot of the shortcomings though and with Kyrie being at least a top 10-15 in the league sure would have helped. He was a 20 point scorer even with Lebron sharing the rock.

Every team in the NBA need a 2011 version of Terry and unfortunately my Rockets will have the 2015 version.....
Let me put it this way- the current Cavs roster when fully healthy is absolutely capable of winning a championship. However, the moment it was clear that they could have Lebron, Love and Irving, I believe they started thinking more than just "championship," they started thinking "dynasty." The midseason trades for Mozgov, Smith and Shumpert brought them a good deal closer. Right now, I think the difference between them being potential championship team and a potential dynasty is a high caliber sixth man. Every great team in history has had one. Hell, Golden State has several. It's why Popovich always started bringing Ginobili off the bench once the playoffs rolled around, even if he was always a starter during the regular season.

So if I'm David Griffin, my no. 1 priority this offseason (other than re-signing Love) is to shop around any combination of Delavedova, Shumpert, or Smith to get a scoring, playmaking sixth man.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #823
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Can't believe the Clippers got someone to take on Hawes. Yuck.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #824
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
9) This is an aesthetically ugly but interesting series.
This is exactly what I've been thinking this whole series. Cleveland is truly a one man band right now with Super Lebron and a bunch of one-trick sidekicks. GS will never be out of any game with their shooting yet neither will their opponent with their shooting. I keep coming back to this being one of the weakest pairings of finals teams that I can remember in my history.

Yet with all of that, I'm still amazingly interested in it and find it very entertaining. I sincerely hope GS wins and Lebron gets MVP. That seems like the only happy scenario for the non-GS/CLE fan.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #825
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a traditionalist, but if your team loses you are NOT the MVP. Goes for anyone. LeBron is doing what I'd expect from the best player in basketball with a sky-high usage rate.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #826
melvind
Banned

Quote:
Let me put it this way- the current Cavs roster when fully healthy is absolutely capable of winning a championship. However, the moment it was clear that they could have Lebron, Love and Irving, I believe they started thinking more than just "championship," they started thinking "dynasty." The midseason trades for Mozgov, Smith and Shumpert brought them a good deal closer. Right now, I think the difference between them being potential championship team and a potential dynasty is a high caliber sixth man. Every great team in history has had one. Hell, Golden State has several. It's why Popovich always started bringing Ginobili off the bench once the playoffs rolled around, even if he was always a starter during the regular season.

So if I'm David Griffin, my no. 1 priority this offseason (other than re-signing Love) is to shop around any combination of Delavedova, Shumpert, or Smith to get a scoring, playmaking sixth man.
Ok now that you have cleared that i can totally agree with you and understand your thought process now. Maybe he can convince his ole buddy D Wade to come and play that role since it appears Miami may be messing him around with his contract situation. Health would be an issue with Wade though.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #827
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Call me a traditionalist, but if your team loses you are NOT the MVP. Goes for anyone. LeBron is doing what I'd expect from the best player in basketball with a sky-high usage rate.
Well it's not like there isn't a precedent for it. Jerry West was MVP for his losing team way back in 1969. And under normal circumstances I might agree, but these are NOT normal circumstances. The Cavs have no business being even remotely competitive in this series, and Lebron has kept it close by itself. And even for Lebron, it is NOT reasonable to expect the guy to average roughly 40 a game AND a triple-double, no matter how "sky high" his usage rate is. Win or lose, you could very easily argue that this is the greatest performance in the history of the NBA finals. That I think is enough to merit a break with tradition.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #828
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Ok now that you have cleared that i can totally agree with you and understand your thought process now. Maybe he can convince his ole buddy D Wade to come and play that role since it appears Miami may be messing him around with his contract situation. Health would be an issue with Wade though.
If the Cavs could pull that off, then that would definitely put them in "superteam" territory, and make them instant favorites for the next 2 championships at least. I don't see it happening though. Aside from Cleveland not being able to pay him nearly as much, Wade seems to really want to retire with Miami, and having 3 rings already, I don't think he's so hungry for more titles that he'll leave his comfort zone and take less money just for the opportunity to win more titles as a sixth man. Would be cool to see though.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #829
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Ezeli has been decent. He does what centers should do well which is play defense and rebound.

Shumpert with a stupid foul. The dumber team usually loses.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #830
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well it's not like there isn't a precedent for it. Jerry West was MVP for his losing team way back in 1969. And under normal circumstances I might agree, but these are NOT normal circumstances. The Cavs have no business being even remotely competitive in this series, and Lebron has kept it close by itself. And even for Lebron, it is NOT reasonable to expect the guy to average roughly 40 a game AND a triple-double, no matter how "sky high" his usage rate is. Win or lose, you could very easily argue that this is the greatest performance in the history of the NBA finals. That I think is enough to merit a break with tradition.
Wasn't West the first to ever be given the award? I'd argue that since that time there is now a precedent for giving it to the best player on the winning team. I won't argue with breaking tradition, I just think West was a product of there being no precedent as he was the first to be awarded finals MVP.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #831
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Wasn't West the first to ever be given the award? I'd argue that since that time there is now a precedent for giving it to the best player on the winning team. I won't argue with breaking tradition, I just think West was a product of there being no precedent as he was the first to be awarded finals MVP.
You are right, West was the first guy ever to receive the award. The tradition definitely is to give it to the best player on the winning team. I just think these are extraordinary circumstances. Golden State is so overwhelmingly more talented than Cleveland, this series should have been a sweep.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #832
MavzMan
Golden Member

I also think no one on GS has come anywhere close to the performance of Lebron. I'll concede that it would take a close game 7 in order for him to get it. If he checks out in a 4-2 series then he shouldn't get it.

Come on Game 7!!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #833
MavzMan
Golden Member

Pulling Mozgov??? He's their 2nd best player right now! Blatt being out coached.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #834
MavzMan
Golden Member

Wow Dramond Green with a triple double.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #835
Underdog

Andre Iguodala Finals MVP? They'll probably go with Curry, but Iggy was definitely the difference-maker in this series.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #836
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Pulling Mozgov??? He's their 2nd best player right now! Blatt being out coached.
I think Blatt has been very underrated all season, but yeah, he made some big mistakes this series benching Mozgov- twice.

Couple of thoughts- Mozgov is an absolute quality big man. Not spectacular, but definitely solid on both ends. Tristan Thompson is a quality player too. Both guys have bright futures in Cleveland, I think.

Dellavedova, Shumpert, Smith, and James Jones were a combined 7-29. That should tell you everything you need to know about the talent disparity between these two teams.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-16-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #837
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Andre Iguodala Finals MVP? They'll probably go with Curry, but Iggy was definitely the difference-maker in this series.
I still think it should be Lebron, but if you have to go with the winning team, then yeah Iggy was definitely the MVP of this series.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #838
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Wow, they actually gave it to Iggy. Good for him. I've always liked him. Seeing him accept that award reminds me how much I hoped and prayed that the Mavs would somehow manage to get him all through the 2000's. *sigh*

Glad to see Shaun Livingston get a ring too. That knee injury he had back in 07 is easily the worst sports injury I've ever seen. Very few people could ever come back from that, let alone contribute to a championship winning team.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #839
MavzMan
Golden Member

Happy for the NBA Champions Golden State Warriors. Very classy team and good to see fresh blood hoist the trophy.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #840
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Considering how young and how ridiculously stacked they are, the Dubs are probably going to be contenders for quite a long time.