Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute
Default hdtv, dvrs, dish tv and all that stuff....

In anticipation of Superbowls and NBA Finals surely to come, I'm thinking of making the leap into the wonderful world of HDTV -- I wonder who else has made the leap recently and what advise you may have with respect to TV specs and Dish v. Cable....

thanks in advance

Last edited by alexamenos; 10-02-2007 at 03:23 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I love my Westinghouse 42" HDTV.

I love my FIOS DVR.

I do however, have a big problem with Verizon FIOS. It is freaking awesome. But wtf is with the HD channels? Directv just added like 20 more, including a couple I'd love to have like TBS HD and the Versus HD channel for hockey games...and FIOS is completely mum on it. I can't get an answer from them. It's like they're not even planning on adding anymore.

Weigh the costs....but when the wife and I buy a house next year, if FIOS doesn't shape up with their HD programming, I will definitely be heading back to Directv.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Just last week I purchased a 45" Sharp Aquos LCD. I then upgraded from
standard cable to digital cable (Time Warner) and I am blown away and I
highly recommend the Sharp.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco

I love my FIOS DVR.

I do however, have a big problem with Verizon FIOS. It is freaking awesome. But wtf is with the HD channels? Directv just added like 20 more, including a couple I'd love to have like TBS HD and the Versus HD channel for hockey games...and FIOS is completely mum on it. I can't get an answer from them. It's like they're not even planning on adding anymore.

Weigh the costs....but when the wife and I buy a house next year, if FIOS doesn't shape up with their HD programming, I will definitely be heading back to Directv.
They'll be added eventually, don't worry. FIOS isn't quite the same deal it was in the beginning, because the competition has forced DirecTV to kick things in gear, but FIOS will still keep up to speed on everything.

I would imagine new HD channels like TBS will be added early next year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I have Dish Network. The HD through them has expanded aggressively since I first signed up a couple of years ago. I don't know how many HD channels DirecTV is currently offering, but as of a few months ago I think Dish was blowing them out of the water on channel offerings in HD.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I love Verizon FIOS. I hate Verizon.

We moved to a new house a month ago. TWICE the cable has been cut (both times by Verizon themselves). The cable they installed 2 weeks ago to repair the 2nd cut is still running down my driveway, across my neighbors lawn and over their driveway.

Plus, when they installed the interior cables I told them I didn't want COAX, just Ethernet. The installer said okay. So, he pulls BOTH which was no big deal except on the Ethernet cable he only terminated the end that was inside the house. And had connected the COAX to the NT and that was what was activated.

I was pissed. But luckily I have a crimper so I put a jack on the other end (at the NT) and plugged it in, called Verizon and told them to enable the Ethernet port and disable the COAX. But man, their service just sucks. Plus, the 2 cables they pulled are suspended a foot off the ground making walking around the attic a hazard and putting force ontop of the vent work. And yes, for 3 weeks now we have had a request in to have those cables reran but it doesn't seem to be a priority.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I love Verizon FIOS. I hate Verizon.

We moved to a new house a month ago. TWICE the cable has been cut (both times by Verizon themselves). The cable they installed 2 weeks ago to repair the 2nd cut is still running down my driveway, across my neighbors lawn and over their driveway.

Plus, when they installed the interior cables I told them I didn't want COAX, just Ethernet. The installer said okay. So, he pulls BOTH which was no big deal except on the Ethernet cable he only terminated the end that was inside the house. And had connected the COAX to the NT and that was what was activated.

I was pissed. But luckily I have a crimper so I put a jack on the other end (at the NT) and plugged it in, called Verizon and told them to enable the Ethernet port and disable the COAX. But man, their service just sucks. Plus, the 2 cables they pulled are suspended a foot off the ground making walking around the attic a hazard and putting force ontop of the vent work. And yes, for 3 weeks now we have had a request in to have those cables reran but it doesn't seem to be a priority.
My HDMI output on my set top box went out on Monday night (already?). I was on the phone with them (Verizon) all day on Tuesday, and they're coming out today at lunch time to replace it. It sucks bc running home at lunch is not easy to do, but they can really go fast when they want to. I found their customer service pretty good.

Of course, running cables is a different animal. Maybe they don't have very many people qualified to do that?

And I have a crimper too....so....high five?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had good experiences with Verizon support, except for having to help the FIOS tech setup my router when they installed FIOS.

In his defense, my house was one of the very first houses in our area to get FIOS, I think he said it was his second install.

Also, my kids spilled water on my router several months ago, and they drop shipped a new router to me and I had it the next day. Now that was nice.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-03-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I would be willing to bet that TBS HD is added soon for you guys. The entire first round of the MLB playoffs is on TBS this year. If you haven't heard anything, I would call and ask/complain. I'm sure lots of people have already.

Comcast literally just added it a few days ago for my area (in Nashville, TN).

oh, also... I love TiVo HD. but that's another thread.

I have a big mitsubishi rear-projection HDTV that i Love (and also got for free from my father-in-law when they moved houses). I have a westinghouse 32 inch LCD HDTV that I also really like. great price for a really good tv - not as flashy as other brands, but works VERY well. weak speakers, but i just have it in my bedroom. if you had one in a main room, you'd be better off hooking it up to a receiver.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-03-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

with the new tvs, is the tv's sound system quite adequate for really good movie sound, or would you recommend a home theatre system with the mix?

edit

Quote:
weak speakers, but i just have it in my bedroom. if you had one in a main room, you'd be better off hooking it up to a receiver.
ok...a tv by tv thing....

Last edited by alexamenos; 10-03-2007 at 02:18 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, definitely depends on the TV. I think anything would sound better through a true surround sound system than the regular TV. But my Mitsubishi puts out good sound, just not true surround sound. Most HD broadcasting is done in 5.1 surround sound now, so to get the true benefit, you'd need a receiver that could play that.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-03-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Verizon's DVR can't compare with DirecTV+Tivo as far as functionality..... I thought about switching to Verizon Fios..but, why switch to an inferior product that's more expensive?
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

HD + DVR is NOT more expensive than DirecTV, unless I am sorely mistaken.

You get their full channel package for 45 bucks, plus 12 bucks for DVR and HD? You're saying DirecTV has that beat on price? I seriously doubt that.

Not to mention the equipment costs. It costs what, $300 for the standard HD DVR from DirectTV?

Verizon has no equipment costs.

I'm not saying Verizon is a better quality. DirecTV gives you more options including Sunday Ticket, and better HD channels right now. But you pay for that step up.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-05-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Verizon's DVR can't compare with DirecTV+Tivo as far as functionality..... I thought about switching to Verizon Fios..but, why switch to an inferior product that's more expensive?

Directv's Tivo is completely obsolete now that Directv has switched to mpeg 4. You now have to go with Directv's dvr to get all the high def channels(except just a few like espn, hdnet, etc)
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
alexamenos
Diamond Member

so bookit....

I should order directv and their hd dvr so that I can watch cool shit over and over again in hd?

correct????
Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I have never seen a Tivo, and I guess I should keep it that way. I have only ever seen my FIOS DVR. All I know, is that I can record things, and watch them. And I can pause tv, and rewind and other general fun and merriment.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
I have never seen a Tivo, and I guess I should keep it that way. I have only ever seen my FIOS DVR. All I know, is that I can record things, and watch them. And I can pause tv, and rewind and other general fun and merriment.
ummm.....

womens beach volleyball in hdtv?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I've used a Tivo, and it didn't ruin the FIOS DVR for me. It is much, much prettier, that's for sure. And it does have a few features that FIOS doesn't have. But really, for the bulk of the bread and butter features, they're the same.

And I said before, my wife flies through my FIOS DVR, so the Ipod comparison doesn't work for me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #19
alexamenos
Diamond Member

hmmmm.....whether Verizon FiOS looks to be an easy call -- it's not available out in the sticks.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i have been a big TiVo backer on this website, but i will admit that I have never used the FIOS DVR. I have used the Comcast DVR, and HATED, HATED, HATED it.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #21
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i have been a big TiVo backer on this website, but i will admit that I have never used the FIOS DVR. I have used the Comcast DVR, and HATED, HATED, HATED it.
IMO, Comcast in general is horrible.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #22
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to get my cablecards activated for my Tivo HD DVR is proving to be an adventure, but from what I've seen running it on the OTA HD channels and the standard cable channels it will be well worth the effort. I've had alot of experience with the Time Warner/Comcast Hd DVR and it really sucks. I've also heard bad things about the Direct TV DVRs, but I haven't lived with one.

I was tempted to switch to Direct TV because they are first to add the new HD channels, but the others will eventually catch up. Comcast in Houston just added TBSHD and they will be adding these by the end of the month:
234 Fox Business Channel
283 National Geographic HD
284 USA HD
285 A&E HD
286 History HD
287 HGTV HD
288 Food HD
299 CNN HD

So basically Tivo is the best DVR, and Direct TV is the best service (for now). Too bad you can't use them together.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

FreshJive - Check out this post at TiVo Community. LONG thread, but basically, the motto is - keep trying. Comcast is frustrating to deal with. eventually you'll get in touch with someone that knows something. It even provies the comcast corporate number (luckily i didn't have to go that far).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=316310

I also relayed my story with Comcast in the TiVo HD thread here on dallas-mavs.com:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30916

(post #23)

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-07-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #24
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I found the Tivo Community thread. What I have been able to read has been a big help. Mainly it gave me the knowledge to talk to the CSR, and sound like I know what I'm talking about. It's like pulling teeth to get them to admit they don't have a clue about the cable cards. My issue is being escalated to "engineering" whatever that means. Hopefully I'll be basking in all of my Tivo's HD brilliance in a couple more days.

Do you by chance get League Pass? I'm thinking about getting a Series 2 to pair with a cable box so I can get League Pass since you can't get it with cablecards (at least as far as I understand it). Can you get League Pass with a Series 2 and a non DVR box?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #25
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Eh. One of my friends has it... better than some DVRs, but it ain't Tivo. I will continue to evangelize for Tivo proper.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

FIOS DVR userability is far inferior to TIVO..... DirecTV + Tivo is simply a better and cheaper product.
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #27
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
FIOS DVR userability is far inferior to TIVO..... DirecTV + Tivo is simply a better and cheaper product.
I have no doubt that it is far easier to use, but it is in no way cheaper.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Yeah, you keep saying it's cheaper, and then not responding to my questions.

How do you figure it's cheaper?

Even if their monthly costs were the same (which they're not), FIOS charges you nothing to obtain the DVR, while for DirecTV you're looking at paying $300 per tv for your HDDVR.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

I love my FIOS DVR.

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/art....jsp?id=221034

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #30
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well it's about freaking time!

Awesome. Thanks Thig.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #31
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Fivefold Increase ??

holy smokes!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think I am having a problem with pixel persistence on my LCD tv. The tv produces a small white box with a message "selected input not found" whenever changing inputs, and of course, if there actually isn't any input found.

Yesterday I noticed that I could all of a sudden see it while watching tv, however faintly. To my knowledge the tv wasn't left on like that for any length of time so I don't understand why I just now noticed it. It's hardly there, but sometimes noticeable. This is what I get for buying a cheap tv (Westinghouse) two years ago.

Has anyone had a problem with pixel persistence? (or "burn in" you might call it, though I don't think that's technically what it is on a LCD)

I have read to try everything from displaying a white image on the tv for an extended length of time, or try turning the tv off and unplugging it for a long time, or that it will just go away after a while, to "physically massaging" the pixels on the screen....it all sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

Anyone had a problem with this before with a LCD?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #33
FreshJive
Diamond Member

I saw this post at AVS. If he is correct the fixes you list wouldn't work since it's not the pixels that are the problem.
"Its true that LCDs are not supposed to burn in. Still some of them do. I have seen it before. It's not the actual LCD that is burned! It is the Anti-glare coating layer or the polarizer film that is becoming discolored. This is a result of cheap-o manufacturing process. The panel manufacturer is using substandard film layers for AG and polarizer."