Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

so, who will you be rooting for... of course, we don't know the brackets quite yet...

I have a few teams, actually.

Primary Team - Duke Blue Devils - they've been my team for as long as I can remember... get used to the following picture:

Secondary Team - University of Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns - my hometown team. I don't live there anymore, but I used to go to their games all the time. Doesn't look like they'll be making the tourney, though. after a great regular season, they lost to Denver in the first round of the Sun Belt Tourney.

Tertiary Team - Gonzaga Bulldogs - I saw them play for the first time when I was in school in Memphis. They played the University of Memphis in the preseaon NIT and Richie Frahm dropped 37 on them for the win. My roommate and I were in the middle of the Memphis student section (we knew a student there who got us tickets) and were yelling for the zags. I've been a fan of theirs ever since. we told anyone who would listen (and those that wouldn't) about the zags and were saying "watch out for them!" and yep, that was the year of their first tourney run. but it doesn't look like they'll be in it this year either.

i don't really hate any team. so i love march madness cause i'll watch any game that's on.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

WHOOOO! HOOK 'EM HORNS!!

(sorry. requisite school plug.)
Old 03-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

I can't wait for prediction time. Usualy I tear up the bracket although last year my predicted champs went out in the 1st round. (thanks alot Florida)
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

speaking of u of memphis...

go tigers go!!

very interested to see what kind of seed they get, especially if they get to the conference usa final and actually beat marquette (or maybe cincy again). calipari's got 'em on a roll since he got the guys to figure out that they need to jump on chris massie's back and ride him as far as he can take 'em.

only seven days left.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:02 PM   #5

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

Texas all the way.
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Any Big 12 school will be fine. I love this time of year. The NCAA tournament is the singlemost greatest sports event of the year. With kids playing for pride, upsets, heartbreaks, etc....it just doesn't get any better than that.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

UCLA just ousted Arizona. HA HA.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Gardner all but put the team on his back and they still fell. 2-20 from the field, 0-14 from the 3 point range. I still think they are going to be number 1 in the tourney even if all others flirting with the spot win out with landslides. Arizona will be just like Cincinatti I think or a typical Kansas team at best.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

with this arizona loss, kentucky is definitely the top seed in the tourney. they'll be put in the easiest bracket...
Old 03-13-2003, 08:18 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

since UNT was edged out of their conference tournament, I'll be going for UT. Of course, I would have been going for them anyways.

Who do I expect to win it? UT of course. and for once, i can say that with a remotely straight face
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

marquette lost after committing THIRTY turnovers.

anyone see the ending to the colorado, kansas state game? that dumb move replaces webber's as the stupidest in NCAA history (even though this one wasn't in the NCAA championship).
Old 03-14-2003, 01:31 PM   #12
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

what, was it "hey, we can beat these guys with one hand tied behind our back" night? what's worse is uab had 20 steals. 20!!! i think marquette was having a "dribble with your off hand" practice and they kept score.

as much as i hate him, billy packer may have been right, conference usa may be a mid-major, cause they get good teams, but they can't seem to find anyone to go deep into the tournament. i thought marquette may have been that team, but who knows, maybe this will wake them up.

if pasco wasn't a senior, i think i would have taken his scholarship right there in the locker room and made him walk back to manhattan. what an idiot.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:16 PM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, boys! the tigers put the hurt (well, not really) on the gators. In the tourney for sure!
Old 03-14-2003, 09:46 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Consecutive wins for Carolina over Duke and just know Maryland. How about those tarheels.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:50 PM   #15
Kevink00012

Kevink00012 is on a distinguished road

Kansas!!! Please don't choke Roy, please, I'm begging you!
Kevink00012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:51 PM   #16
Kevink00012

<< Any Big 12 school will be fine. I love this time of year. The NCAA tournament is the singlemost greatest sports event of the year. With kids playing for pride, upsets, heartbreaks, etc....it just doesn't get any better than that. >>

Yeah, the Big 12 is a powerhouse this year. Great conference tourney too.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:57 PM   #17

Texas just lost to Tech [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 10:21 PM   #18
Kevink00012

Kansas just won this afternoon, OH YEAH! Tomorrow's game should be good KU/MU.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:11 AM   #19
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

<< Texas just lost to Tech >>

Dammit! Why do we always lose to Tech? Football lost to them this year too. How annoying. So much for the #1 seed.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #20
Kevink00012

Crap, KU just lost.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

<< How about those tarheels. >>

They SUCK. Death to Tar Heels. BOO BOO BOO BOOOOOOOOOOO.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 03-16-2003, 11:08 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

good thing texas got the loss out of their system before the tourney.

i've heard alot of speculation that they'll still be a #1 seed.
we'll see. it helps that kansas lost
Old 03-16-2003, 12:47 PM   #23

that loss for texas will either allow them to get a lot of rest, or they will end up extremely rusty
Old 03-16-2003, 03:13 PM   #24
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

J.J. Reddick! J.J. Reddick! J.J. Reddick! Who can stop this Man! He just gutted and humiliated NC State on national television with four three pointers in the last couple of minutes to lead a 15 pt comeback in winning the ACC tournament title. Duke haters beware! Reddick is only a freshman, so there will be hopefully be years of heroics to come from this assasin! With today's game he just set a new record for having the most 20+ pt. games from a freshman in Duke history. He also just set the new all-time leading season ACC free throw shooting record with his figure of %93. This is as a freshman...

I have seen the future and his name is Reddick...

A Deadly Freshman Assasin: Ushering in more yet more years of Duke Dominance
Old 03-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #25
Nash13
Diamond Member

<< J.J. Reddick! J.J. Reddick! J.J. Reddick! Who can stop this Man! He just gutted and humiliated NC State on national television with four three pointers in the last couple of minutes to lead a 15 pt comeback in winning the ACC tournament title. Duke haters beware! Reddick is only a freshman, so there will be hopefully be years of heroics to come from this assasin! With today's game he just set a new record for having the most 20+ pt. games from a freshman in Duke history. He also just set the new all-time leading season ACC free throw shooting record with his figure of %93. This is as a freshman...

I have seen the future and his name is Reddick...

A Deadly Freshman Assasin: Ushering in more yet more years of Duke Dominance
>>

They suck. Death to Duke. BOO BOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

GO MARYLAND

~The Salesman
Old 03-16-2003, 08:04 PM   #26
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

<<
They suck. Death to Duke. BOO BOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

GO MARYLAND
>>

GO TERPS! But I don't think they really have much of a chance. Nicholas showed glimpses of Dixon, and Randle of Baxter, but that's it, glimpses. Now if they had not lost Wilcox, things might be different, but I'm afraid they're gonna exit the tourney early.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:16 PM   #27

YEY!! Texas got a #1 seed

along with arizona, kentucky, and oklahoma
Old 03-16-2003, 09:30 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

you know the final two #1 seeds had to have come down to OU, UT, and kansas.

I guess OU probably assured a #1 with winning the big 12 tourney. and i guess UT had to get the last #1 with beating OU twice
Old 03-16-2003, 09:35 PM   #29
Kevink00012

<< good thing texas got the loss out of their system before the tourney.

i've heard alot of speculation that they'll still be a #1 seed.
we'll see. it helps that kansas lost
>>

Well it would've helped if Oklahoma lost too, I'm a KU fan and the upside to the tournament is that one of the other top Big 12 teams have to lose too.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #30
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

evilmav! j.j. redick!

the man has ice in his veins! he may be my favorite duke player (after laettner, of course), when it's all said and done.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

it'd have to be abdalnaby
Old 03-17-2003, 02:04 PM   #32
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i was always partial to marty clark, actually... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

haha..hadn't thought of him in awhile
Old 03-17-2003, 03:29 PM   #34
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

my fantasy NBA teams are always named for past duke players...

2 years ago it was &quot;Jay Bilas' Ballers&quot;
last year it was &quot;The Alaa Abdelnabys&quot;
This year it's &quot;Marty Clark - Esq.&quot;

gotta work in mike gminski soon.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:23 AM   #35
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

if the opening round game is any indication, we are in for one hell of a tournament... overtime, with UNC-Ashville (the only team in the tourney with a losing record) winning.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:52 PM   #36
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

UT all the way. Because no1 can stop TJ Ford.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 12:05 AM   #37
ames7
Diamond Member

Opening round against Ashville is Friday @ 11:30am. I'm so bitter, that's when my class is. GO HORNS!
Old 03-20-2003, 12:48 AM   #38
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

<< I have seen the future and his name is Reddick... >>

Actually I have seen the future to and his name is not reddick but it is TJ ford.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:51 PM   #39
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else enjoy that rare Neil Fingleton sighting in the Marquette-Holy Cross game?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #40
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

T.J. Ford might have a future playing in Turkey...