Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-01-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default second team domination??

WE all know our First unit will hang with any team out there, but can you think of a better second unit? Minny is the only one that will compare.
Here's a preview of the Sacramento Game, Second UNIT

Terry/Bobby Jackson PUSH
Daniels/Kevin Martin DALLAS
Stack/David Bluthenthal DALLAS
Booth/ Darius Songaila PUSH ?
MBenga/ ?? (TAGS out right?) DALLAS

and Bradley as a 3rd Center, too.

ALSO this is Minny's 2nd unit

HUDSON
HOIBERG
WALLY
MADSEN
E. JOHNSON

doesn't look as impressive when written down, but is good.

here's MeMphis
WATSON
Wells
Battier
Cardinal
Swift

they have a good 2nd unit as well. I really like the role players

Other good benches are Indiana and Denver, but at this point, do you guys think Dallas has the best bench in the L?
IMO it'll all depend on Booth and DJ, but from what ya'll have posted on DJ, I'm felling pretty good.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: second team domination??

I think Memphis' bench has the edge over us, and except for troy hudson, we have an edge over Minnesota's.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #3
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Szczerbiak is starting for Minny, Hassell would be his backup. Also, you forgot a couple good ones that are at least worth mentioning.
Lakers - Vujacic, George, Butler, Medvedenko, Mihm
Toronto - Williams, Peterson, Murray, Marshall, Araujo
Golden State - Claxton, Pietrus, Najera, Robinson, Davis
New Orleans - Armstrong, JR Smith, Rogers, Nailon, Anderson
Orlando - Nelson, Stevenson, Hill, Garrity, Battie
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Does Dallas have the best bench in the league? I tend to think they don't. There's a boat-load of talent there, certainly enough to be in the running for best bench, but there are weaknesses as well. There's no true SF, and the frontcourt depth is somewhat untested. If I had to pick the best bench I'd probably go with Memphis. Watson/Wells/Battier/Cardinal/Wright (I'm assuming Swift is starting?) may not have the ridiculous backcourt talent the Mavs have, but they're very nicely balanced, and I trust their frontcourt a little more until: 1) I see somebody step up to be the clear choice at backup PF for the Mavs, and 2) I see that either Nellie and the Mantis can get along, or that DJ can be counted on to not pick up 6 fouls in 10 minutes.

What really excites me about these Mavs, though, isn't just their depth. Memphis had the best bench in the league last year but couldn't dominate teams with their starting lineup and consequently got thumped in the playoffs. It's the combination of the Mavs' depth along with a starting five that has the potential to be the best in the league if Devin can develop fast enough that has me looking forward to the season.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default RE:second team domination??

I agree that we've got mad talent coming off the bench but what we've really got is 2 1/2 SG and 2 C, which as people have already pointed out will lead to balance issues. This deepness is awesome, however, and a welcome change (I still remember 2 seasons ago when I was scratching my head wondering why Adrian Griffin was a starter). I think Jet is a better player than Troy Hudson, and hopefully he'll take every opportunity to prove me right. And OK I understand that the Memphis bench is solid but I don't really see anything standout there. All those guys are really just career backups who are 'better than average' but not really that great. How much playing time would Battier or Cardinal get if they played for us? Probably not much.

Waiting until Nov. 2 is killin me...
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #6
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
I think Memphis' bench has the edge over us, and except for troy hudson, we have an edge over Minnesota's.
Stack over Wally? I dunno about that.. I'd take Hudson over Terry too.. but I guess the Mavs have a couple better players (Booth over Madsen, Quis over Hoiberg (although I'm not entirely sold on that yet), MBenga over Johnson is a pretty good call, although Johnson is a very intelligent player).

I don't know if I'd definitely take Dallas' bench over Minnesota.. I think Hudson -- if he is indeed 100% again -- is the best player on either team's bench. Just my take though.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure I'd put Marquis over Hoiberg as a definite...

I also think you guys are a little too high on MBenga... mostly because of his POTENTIAL and not his actual production.

The guy blocked a couple of shots and fouled out in 5-10 minutes each time...

I think he's really similar to Sammy Dalembert, but Dalembert has come close to triple doubles with pts,rbs,blks several times... he experiences much of the same foul trouble and will therefore come off the bench like DJ. I don't think DJ can really get a "nod" over anybody quite yet.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How much playing time would Battier or Cardinal get if they played for us?
I'd rather play Battier at backup SF than Stack or Quis, and I'd rather play Cardinal at backup PF than Booth or Hendu.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I will say this. No team in the league has 3 players on their bench that is capable of starting on any team in the league but the Mavs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I will say this. No team in the league has 3 players capable of starting on any team in the league but the Mavs.
Huh? The only guy I see that we have capable/deserving of starting on any team in the league is Dirk, and that's only because it would be worth it to slide KG and Duncan over to center to accomodate Dirk at PF.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

1996-2005
Old 11-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
I will say this. No team in the league has 3 players capable of starting on any team in the league but the Mavs.
Huh? The only guy I see that we have capable/deserving of starting on any team in the league is Dirk, and that's only because it would be worth it to slide KG and Duncan over to center to accomodate Dirk at PF.
That came out wrong I meant to say no team in the league has 3 players on the bench that are capable of starting on any team in this league.

1996-2005
Old 11-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #13
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Quote:
That came out wrong I meant to say no team in the league has 3 players on the bench that are capable of starting on any team in this league.
That'a arguable.. the Wolves are darn close, too.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Saying they could start for any team is going to far. Are they starter caliber players though? Undoubtedly.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
How much playing time would Battier or Cardinal get if they played for us?
I'd rather play Battier at backup SF than Stack or Quis, and I'd rather play Cardinal at backup PF than Booth or Hendu.
honestly, I'd take a healthy Stack or Quis over Battier....I would however prefer Cardinal over Booth or Henderson...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would however prefer Cardinal over Booth or Henderson...
What about Eddie Robinson?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #17
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
honestly, I'd take a healthy Stack or Quis over Battier
Just to be clear, barring Stack not fitting in I don't think I'd trade either guy for Battier straight up. I do, however, think he's better at the SF spot than either of those two. Of course, as long as Fin and Josh stay healthy I don't think it's much of an issue, as I'd take both of them over Battier at the 3.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:10 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
honestly, I'd take a healthy Stack or Quis over Battier
Just to be clear, barring Stack not fitting in I don't think I'd trade either guy for Battier straight up. I do, however, think he's better at the SF spot than either of those two. Of course, as long as Fin and Josh stay healthy I don't think it's much of an issue, as I'd take both of them over Battier at the 3.
sure.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:38 PM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hudson is the only starter I see on that bench.

1996-2005
Old 11-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hudson is the only starter I see on that bench.

1996-2005
Old 11-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Saying they could start for any team is going to far. Are they starter caliber players though? Undoubtedly.
I said they are capable of starting on any team which I don't feel that is too far fetched. Terry and Stack both started for their respected teams last season and Daniels started towards the end of the season here last season.

1996-2005