Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Audio/Videophiles - I Need Advice

That’s AUDIO and VIDEO philes. So no, I don't expect responses from you, sike.

Anyway, my Sony DVD dream system (receiver, DVD player, speakers) just went KAPUT today. It's about 6 years old. I may have to break it open to get the DVDs that are trapped inside…

Anyway, I guess I’m in the market for something new, so I’m going away from the all-in-one system and am going after a receiver. And then i'll eventually get a blu-ray player or upconverting DVD player.

Do you guys have any recommendations for receiver brands and/or models? I don’t want to break the bank, but I’d love to have good quality, and I think I’d like wireless speakers.

Any recs you guys may have would be AWESOME.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a fan of Onkyo, Denon, Marantz (Panasonic high end). Yamaha and Pioneer (Particularly Elite) have some good stuff also. Athena speakers, I've been told, are pretty good value for the money. I would stay you're pretty safe staying with those brands.

For the receiver, mainly make sure it has the inputs and outputs you need, namely HDMI switching, full 1080p support (be futureproof), enough of them for all your devices. Since we're sticking with name brand stuff that can be bought at brick-n-mortar stores, I'd recommend Denon first, Onkyo 2nd, Marantz 3rd on the price-range of 300-600 for something that'll blow that Sony Dream System away.

I heard aperion audio is pretty good, though they only sell online (and the speakers look pretty good to boot). Another online exclusive that I hear good things about is www.axiomaudio.com .

I did do quite a bit of research a little while back (just cause I had the time and was bored) and those were the brands I would most likely go with if I were to upgrade my system (right now a pretty basic Onkyo 6.1 System with separate DVD/Receive and a pretty powerful Infinity 500Watt sub). But it really is quite loud, the speakers are quite a bit bigger than other HTIB systems. It does VERY well with TV and DVD's, not so well with music, straight up.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Pioneer Elite 7.1 VSX 91 txh that I paid around 1000$ for. I think you can get it for around 700-800 now. It has HDMI 1.3 inputs and does Dolby Tru HD surround and the DTS Master Audio. You really need those three things for Blu Ray. I have a Polk RM 6880 surround speaker set that cost me about $1000 also but its on sale at Amazon for $700. I am very happy with this setup and its future proof enough. The subwoofer is a little weak, but I live in an apartment so that doesn't bother me. The center channel speaker is awesome for this price range. It is only a 5.1 speaker set, but I just used my old surround speakers for the very back surround pair. In the future I would like to get some nice front speakers and move the four sattelites to the surround positions.

Last edited by FreshJive; 02-15-2008 at 09:10 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

yeah dude Onkyo. That is what i have. Although mine is about 2-3 years old. It still does 6.1 And sounds sweeeet.

When i was looking for receivers...all i knew about was sony or kenwood....one of my boys was raving about Onkyo...i am sure glad he did. Let us know what you choose.

I assume you know about crutchfield..by the way...(pretty good prices)

i don't know what the new receivers have on them...but i image that have hdmi(inputs and outputs)..obviously opitcal inputs/outputs...maybe usb?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'll add one recommendation, the Bic Acoustech H-100 Powered Sub. Flippin fanTASTIC. You can find better subs, but not for the price. Think I got mine for $220ish on ebay.

Also, don't skimp on your center channel speaker.

I think there are way too many variables into building your system. Head over to avsforum.com and read for a few days. Those guys are unbelievable...definitely could give better advice than most people.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking into Onkyo for the receiver (as well as denon and harmon/kardon - comparing reviews and prices), and yes, I definitely need a new powered sub. Thanks for that rec, ocelot.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

MavsX....... I'm gonna disagree with you there. I think Crutchfield's prices are pretty high, but when you factor in that they do have amazing customer service, it might just be worth it. Some people don't wanna go through the hassle of other companies, and crutchfield is a surefire way to avoid all that. But if you feel confident enough in another company, crutchfield is a good place to check out stuff.

At the end of the day though, I am not at all against doing business with them if you wanna pay extra for the peace of mind.

I can safely recommend onkyo DVD's. You would think the difference in image wouldn't be that great between any two DVD players...... wrong wrong wrong wrong. It really is like night and day. Same connection and all, my Onkyo spanks my old Sony DVD. But you'll be getting Blu-ray, won't you? (HD-DVD is going the way of the dodo, losing shelf space in wal-mart, with the inventory not to be renewed in June, and BB already only recommending Blu-ray as the format to go for HD content).

BTW, here are some pics of my HT.

Last edited by bernardos70; 02-15-2008 at 11:07 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, best buy is even giving HD DVD players away this week as part of a package deal.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Oppo DVD players are widely considered the best, I believe.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70

BTW, here are some pics of my HT.
did i read that correctly? $6 million!? Holy $hit. That is a lot of money to spend to only have 3 seats though, that guy is nuts.

Last edited by MavsX; 02-16-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

So i went with the onkyo TX-SR605. on sale at circuit city, and CNET actually rated it the best receiver under $500.

i decided to keep the speakers that I had with my dream system for the time being. I may upgrade them later, but just wanted a receiver first.

Then i got an upconverting DVD player (Samsung - on sale at best buy). Blu-ray players (and discs) are still too damn expensive.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Good call on the Onkyo. That should serve you well. I want one!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
That’s AUDIO and VIDEO philes. So no, I don't expect responses from you, sike. \
http://www.comedycentral.com/press/i...angerfield.jpg

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So i went with the onkyo TX-SR605. on sale at circuit city, and CNET actually rated it the best receiver under $500.

i decided to keep the speakers that I had with my dream system for the time being. I may upgrade them later, but just wanted a receiver first.

Then i got an upconverting DVD player (Samsung - on sale at best buy). Blu-ray players (and discs) are still too damn expensive.

Thanks again for all the advice!

good work BBL, the receiver is the most important part...its good that you got that part right.

edit: damn bro..look at all those inputs...looks like mine...except mines 6.1 and no hdmi on the receiver... I'm jealous BBL

Last edited by MavsX; 02-23-2008 at 12:30 AM.