Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #81
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
It doesn't fix them but I can't sit here and say I had confidence in Brad Johnson running this offense with only 3 receivers on the roster, 2 running backs including one rookie, a injured fullback and 3 tight ends including a rookie. Roy atleast gets me intrigued again and i'm sure it does this offense as well. Especially with a quarterback like Brad Johnson. TO and Crayton have problems getting open with Romo who buys time. What would've happen with Brad Johnson who is two steps back and its out of there?
Romo makes plays happen by getting out of the pocket and stretching the defense. No one will ever confuse Brad Johnson with Tony Romo. Brad will struggle terribly if that O-Line keeps bring their recent performances to the table for the next few weeks.

I love having Roy as a Cowboy, but the timing stinks short term. You need your star QB and new stud WR to get time together and build a chemistry and figure out what each other likes in terms of the passes. It's learning on the fly and fighting for a playoff spot in the process.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #82
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

With Brad Johnson, you will see many more 3 step drops... which to me, plays right into TO's hands. And, now with 3 big receivers (TO, RW, MA), we can methodically move down the field without much trouble.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #83
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Hellz yeah, the Mavs are getting better, the 'Boys are getting better. (ignoring all the suspensions and injuries)

I'm excited.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #84
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

So, who gets the "R Williams" on the back of his jersey and who gets the "Roy Williams"?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #85
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I propose "The Good One" and "The Bad One".

Contact Me
Old 10-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #86
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick Crayton just got a WHOLE lot better today, too.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #87
alby
Guru

Agreed, he's probably the best #4 receiver in the NFL.

Contact Me
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #88
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
Romo makes plays happen by getting out of the pocket and stretching the defense. No one will ever confuse Brad Johnson with Tony Romo. Brad will struggle terribly if that O-Line keeps bring their recent performances to the table for the next few weeks.

I love having Roy as a Cowboy, but the timing stinks short term. You need your star QB and new stud WR to get time together and build a chemistry and figure out what each other likes in terms of the passes. It's learning on the fly and fighting for a playoff spot in the process.
Well Roy is not gonna come in here and automatically be our #1. I imagine he gets worked in slow. Possibly our 3rd and maybe our 4th option if he gets out there this Sunday and play. Cowboys have the rest of the season to get chemistry between Roy and Romo. We're not in a rush. Brad may struggle but he doesn't hold the ball nearly as long as Romo does. This o-line is not bad. I'm not really sure why the media is so harsh on them after one game. They've been solid for the most part all season long except for maybe the past two weeks. I'm not in the least worried about the o-line. Not even really Brad Johnson either. I'm more worried about a secondary that includes Anthony Henry, Scandrick and Jenkins. We have zero depth there. If one of these guys get hurt where do we even go? Sure would've been great to have Olgesby right now. Should've never let him go even with Pac-Man on this team.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #89
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
So, who gets the "R Williams" on the back of his jersey and who gets the "Roy Williams"?
I noticed ESPN is calling the newly acquired one Roy E. Williams.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #90
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Patrick Crayton just got a WHOLE lot better today, too.
Yea he should go back to the slot where he belongs. I like Pat and I think he can be a #2 in this league but he hasn't adapted to that role as of yet.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #91
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

We should of gave the Lions our Defensive Roy Williams in the deal, at no additional cost.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #92
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
We should of gave the Lions our Defensive Roy Williams in the deal, at no additional cost.
I know he's hated here but we can't afford to give up any of our defensive backs. I actually can't wait until Roy comes back. I also wanted to have two Roy Williams on the same team lol. Wish our coach was Roy Williams too lol.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #93
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I know he's hated here but we can't afford to give up any of our defensive backs. I actually can't wait until Roy comes back. I also wanted to have two Roy Williams on the same team lol. Wish our coach was Roy Williams too lol.

The next coach of the Dallas Cowboys?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #94
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno how exotic the defense was for 'Zona but they got a lot of pressure and penetration in the pocket without a major amount of bodies in line. I don't remember a lot of attacking that didn't involve the front four or seven for them, definitely correct me if I'm wrong though. Maybe they're aren't as into the lesser games as opposed to the big games? Either way, it's a problem.

The chemistry has to build, there is no question of that. Who knows what our record will be when Romo gets back. The record might dictate a rush in building that chemistry. People know Johnson and maybe we have to expect more dink and dunk plays with him under center, but defenses can adjust to that as well.

Again, I think people are just assuming too quickly that things will roll with all WRs in house. Will it happen, probably...but let's not rush to assumptions that the offense will click right away.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #95
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

A-Frickin-men!!!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #96
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

That is some dang good news...The Picks are fine with me...you always move the speculative for the proven...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #97
BGMaverick9
Guru

I dunno if this got mentioned but you can end whatever drama there might be with the summer and Roy. Yahoo reports he's ALREADY inked long-term: 5 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 10-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #98
alby
Guru

Nice.

Contact Me
Old 10-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #99
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I dunno if this got mentioned but you can end whatever drama there might be with the summer and Roy. Yahoo reports he's ALREADY inked long-term: 5 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
At the bottom of that article:

Quote:
“I called Terrell and he was ecstatic,” Jones revealed. “He was the first person I called after I talked to Roy. As soon as Terrell heard he said, ‘Give me Roy’s number, I have to call him,’ .”

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #100
sike
The Preacha

I'm loving this!!!!^^^^^

Old 10-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #101
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

From BG's link:

Quote:
As for concerns about how Williams will coexist with the emotional Owens, Jones smiled.

“I called Terrell and he was ecstatic,” Jones revealed. “He was the first person I called after I talked to Roy. As soon as Terrell heard he said, ‘Give me Roy’s number, I have to call him,’ .”
Translation: "Get your popcorn ready."

*Edit - looks like I got beaten to the punch

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 10-14-2008 at 06:18 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #102
BGMaverick9
Guru

TO was the first person Jerry called after talking to Roy...hmmm
Old 10-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #103
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Uninformed? There are articles about it. It's you guys who are dismissing it just because you defend any Cowboy. That was my point: you guys defend anyone who wears a blue star.
No. There are articles about Roy being unhappy cause he was on a team that was going nowhere, with (until recently) a GM that can barely tie his own shoes. That's not the same thing as "Roy has an ego."

I've followed him as a player much longer than you have, and I can assure you he is far, far, down the list of "athletes with big egos." So, again, you made an uninformed claim by taking something you read in an article and making an unreasonable inference.

FWIW, this reeks 110% of a Redskins fan trying to convince himself that this trade didn't just make one of his team's rivals considerably stronger. You can say it to yourself over and over, but it doesn't change one bit that the Cowboys just got a whole lot better.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-14-2008 at 06:20 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #104
sike
The Preacha

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub

I've followed him as a player much longer than you have
ownage

Old 10-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #105
sike
The Preacha

no doubt Jerry Jones wants another Dynasty

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #106
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Caseman are you really trying to argue that Roy has some massive ego problem because he whined about wanting the ball? What receiver in the NFL doesn't do that?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #107
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys are crazy. Roy Williams has to be near the top in dropped passes this year! Keep in mind Randy Moss was traded for a 4th round pick last year...
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #108
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I'll give Jerry credit, he's not sitting on his rear and hoping it comes to him. He's certainly been proactive in getting it done.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 10-14-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #109
sike
The Preacha

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001
Cowboys are crazy. Roy Williams has to be near the top in dropped passes this year! Keep in mind Randy Moss was traded for a 4th round pick last year...
this single post has completely changed my mind on this trade's value...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #110
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Randy had some major issues going on with him at the time. It didn't look like he had any passion for the game left in him. I wouldn't compare the situations.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #111
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
I'll give Jerry credit, he's not sitting on his rear and hoping it comes to him. He's certainly been proactive in getting it done.
there can't be any doubt

Old 10-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #112
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Randy had some major issues going on with him at the time. It didn't look like he had any passion for the game left in him. I wouldn't compare the situations.
you are a very nice person.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #113
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
you are a very nice person.
thanks?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #114
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Royal Blue
Trade For This Roy A No-Brainer

by Nick Eatman

link

IRVING, Texas - After losing player, after player, after player here in the last few days, the Cowboys finally put an end to that. They went out and got someone.

And not just anyone. And not just any Roy Williams either.

But a wide receiver who can flat-out play. The Cowboys already have one of those. And now they have two.

Just like that, the Cowboys tremendously upgraded the wide receiver position, not just for this season, but for years to come.

In a move that has been rumored to happen for almost a year now, the Cowboys just beat the NFL's 3 p.m. trade deadline and landed Lions receiver Roy Williams, sending Detroit three draft picks in 2009 - a first, third and sixth. In return, the Cowboys not only get a Pro Bowl receiver, but a seventh-round pick. And remember, the Cowboys might have been more willing to part with three picks today, considering they got their fifth-round pick back from Tennessee since Pacman Jones is suspended once again.

Let's take a breath. We all need one on this day.

If you're a Cowboys fan, you have to like this move. You should actually love it.

This makes sense. It just does.

And it made sense in the off-season. It made sense in training camp and it made sense BEFORE this place became Valley Ranch General. This move has nothing to do with the rash of injuries that have taken place. This is not a desperation move.

This isn't a struggling Yankees team that needs to go out and get a third pitcher for the rotation just before the deadline.

This is a move that could be really good for this team right now. And it could be really great for this team down the road, especially since the Cowboys have already extended his contract for five more years after this season.

Apparently, it's a move Jerry Jones has been trying to do for a while. The Cowboys owner said it has nothing to do with Tony Romo's recent finger injury that will sideline him for about a month.

"We've been trying to trade for Roy Williams for two years," Jones said. "Two straight drafts, I tried to make a trade with Detroit and couldn't get it done. At the league owners meetings (last year), I tried to talk to Detroit about trading for him. He's certainly someone we've pursued the last few years."

Now, of course Roy Williams isn't going to just come right in here and be the receiver we're all expecting. Well, maybe we shouldn't be so sure of anything. The way the last few days have gone, the entire world has gone upside down.

So, who knows? Maybe Roy comes in here and lights it up.

Conventional wisdom says it takes a bit for receivers to step into a new offense, especially in mid-season, and make a huge impact right away. Then again, it doesn't take much to run fade routes. That's a play he knows. Whether he's with the Lions, or sporting a new No. 11 jersey with the Cowboys, he's still going to be a mismatch over smaller cornerbacks.

That's why you should expect to see him play right away. This week in St. Louis. Let's go. Get him out there.

The best part of the deal for the Cowboys, other than just getting a great receiver, is getting a receiver who wants to be here.

First words out of Roy Williams' mouth on a conference call with the Dallas media:

"I'm more happy to be a Dallas Cowboy than when I got my first bike," Williams said. "To go from 0-5 to 4-2, you can't get any better than that."

If that's not enough, the first person who called Williams after the trade should be a telling sign of just how the situation is going to work.

Not only did Jerry Jones say that Terrell Owens was "ecstatic" to find out the news, but apparently T.O. was the first to call Roy Williams and congratulate him on the trade.

"He told me that he learned how to play the game from Jerry Rice," Williams said of Owens. "I've never really had that before. I'm just excited to play with him. I think we can be a great combination.

"He's the No. 1 guy. I'll be the No. 2 or No. 3 and wherever I fit in. Defenses won't know what to do."

Now, whether or not Roy Williams steps right in and makes plays, it could take a few weeks for him to get comfortable in the system.

Then again, the next four weeks are going to be anything but normal for this team.

Is it me, or does it seem like this entire franchise has been put on hold for a month?

Romo out about four weeks. Terence Newman out for about a month. Felix Jones out at least two weeks, and possibly as much as four. And now Pacman Jones is suspended for four games.

The team the Redskins play on Nov. 16 in Washington - which is four weeks from now - might look nothing like the team we're going to see here in the next few weeks.

But at least now the Cowboys are doing something to soften the blow. Instead of seeing all of these guys removed from the lineup, credit Jerry Jones and his staff for an attempt to stop the bleeding.

Does Roy Williams do that? You would think so. If not, you wouldn't give up three picks next year, including a first-round pick.

But really, depending on how you look at it, you can argue that the Cowboys aren't giving up that much at all.

Let's break it down. The Cowboys give up a first, third and sixth. And get Roy Williams and a seventh.

Ok, let's start with the first.

To me, the Cowboys win here. I know you hate to lose a first-round draft pick, but you're getting a first-round pick, if not better, in return. If Terrell Owens was 28 years old, and not 35 at the end of the season, maybe it's a different story.

But you know receiver is a position of need at some point. You can't go into next year's draft and not try to land a receiver.

There's no way the Cowboys could dream of getting a receiver anywhere close to the quality of Roy Williams. It doesn't matter if the wheels come off completely on this team and the Cowboys end up in the middle of the pack, meaning the middle of the first-round. In fact, it doesn't matter if you're picking in the top five.

Any receiver coming in here will have question marks. In the draft, you can get a Randy Moss or an Andre Johnson, just like you can end up with a Charles Rogers or a Mike Williams. Wait, Detroit ended up with both of them.

Still, the point is you just never know about the draft. And you may not know what this Roy Williams can do in Dallas. But you like your chances with a guy who has at least made the Pro Bowl.

So you lose a first, and you get a Pro Bowler. Win

You lose a third-round pick. Ok, you already have a third-round pick because of those crazy draft-day trades the Cowboys made last year. They ended up getting Cleveland's third-round pick. And the one that got sent to Detroit was the Cowboys' pick. So you keep the Browns' third-round pick, and trade away your own. It's likely the Cowboys will finish higher than Cleveland, so I call that a win, too.

As for the sixth-round pick, that's one the Cowboys got back from the Titans because Pacman is suspended again. And you've already acquired another sixth-round pick from the Dolphins for Jason Ferguson. Again, the Cowboys are keeping Miami's and sending away their own.

Don't forget, the Cowboys add a seventh from the Lions and pick up a fifth from Tennessee.

So to start the day, the Cowboys had 10 draft picks. Now, they have nine and Roy Williams. And don't forget the club will likely get a couple of compensatory picks at the end of the season for losing free agents Jacques Reeves and Julius Jones.

So flash back to draft day when you kept getting upset at the TV because the Cowboys kept trading down and down and down and wouldn't make a pick.

Well, they got Roy Williams out of the deal.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-14-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #115
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Moss was 30 when that trade went down. He was a one or two year rental.

Roy Williams is a dominant Cowboy receiver for the next 5+ seasons.

But yeah, totally the same thing. Man we overpaid.

Silk...that was sarcasm.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #116
alby
Guru

you need smiley faces

Contact Me
Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #117
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32

Roy Williams is a dominant Cowboy receiver for the next 5+ seasons.
heck yes!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #118
Kidd2Dirk43

Kidd2Dirk43 has a spectacular aura aboutKidd2Dirk43 has a spectacular aura aboutKidd2Dirk43 has a spectacular aura about

Revival.
Kidd2Dirk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #119
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
"He's the No. 1 guy. I'll be the No. 2 or No. 3 and wherever I fit in. Defenses won't know what to do."
So Caseman, did this shut you the eff up?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #120
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

AMEN!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote