Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I'm really confused to how his stock dropped to the 2nd round when he was considered a top 5 prospect in high school.

So if they allowed for him to enter the draft out of high school he would've been a top 5 pick. Has solid production against NBA level talent in G League and now he's a 2nd rounder.

I mean even if he did bust he's a 2nd round pick its just a very odd story. I mean I've seen it happen before...typically the G League doesn't hurt these guys stock. Ahh well...our fortune.
How many guys jump from the G League right from high school though? I feel like it's an extremely small sample size. I think people just looked just looked at his lousy percentages and wrote him off. FWIW, Nico says he and the front office were amazed that team after team kept passing on him. They expected him to lik 18 or 19, or at the very most, late in the 1st.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #2
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm really confused to how his stock dropped to the 2nd round when he was considered a top 5 prospect in high school.

So if they allowed for him to enter the draft out of high school he would've been a top 5 pick. Has solid production against NBA level talent in G League and now he's a 2nd rounder.

I mean even if he did bust he's a 2nd round pick its just a very odd story. I mean I've seen it happen before...typically the G League doesn't hurt these guys stock. Ahh well...our fortune.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...s/_/class/2021

#2 on ESPN. Not sure what to make of it. Interviews with teams? He's a 6-4 shooting guard. Jalen Green played for the same GLeague squad a year ago. Hardy did get off to a slow start in the GLeague, shot efficiency was a knock, raw skill wise, but gifted athletically. Saw a couple mocks with him going in the 20's. At the end of the day....he's here and I will take it.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:41 PM   #3
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post

#2 on ESPN. Not sure what to make of it. Interviews with teams? He's a 6-4 shooting guard. Jalen Green played for the same GLeague squad a year ago. Hardy did get off to a slow start in the GLeague, shot efficiency was a knock, raw skill wise, but gifted athletically. Saw a couple mocks with him going in the 20's. At the end of the day....he's here and I will take it.
It's such a small sample size, I assume everyone just saw his lousy percentages and had a collective kneejerk.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post

Yeah I think the earliest mock I saw him go in was 21st. Great value you in the 2nd round. Can't beat that.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

UD and I still talk on twitter, and he asked why the Mavs would work him out whnn there was no way he falls to 26. Welp.

This kid still needs a lot of development, but the raw talent is big.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:11 PM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
UD and I still talk on twitter, and he asked why the Mavs would work him out whnn there was no way he falls to 26. Welp.

When I was operating under the assumption that Brunson was coming back, I figured he'd get only garbage minutes this year. With Brunson gone though, he could get real minutes this year. Judging by his improvement over his time in the g-league, maybe a trial by fire isn't the worst thing for him. Kidd seems to be the opposite of Carlisle when it comes to young players.

I also found out today that not only did he jump right from high school to the g-league, but he also missed his entire senior year because of covid. So it makes sense then that the adjustment for him was so extreme.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

I'm all for it. It was a no brainer trading to get him. Excited about him. I like the narrative that he's going to have a chip on his shoulder as well. The Rashard Lewis chip lol.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:25 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
My buddy got to watch him a lot in high school here in Vegas, thinks he could be the real deal.
I don't totally hate the idea of having to give the kid some time this year.

You got Kidd, Dragic, and Luka here to mentor him. Some of the greatest minds there are in terms of guard play.

Mavs need some draft picks to pay off. That's why it stings so bad to have Jalen leave" he's literally one of two good picks the Mavs have had this decade. It seems like most teams have 1-2 a year.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #9
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I don't totally hate the idea of having to give the kid some time this year.

You got Kidd, Dragic, and Luka here to mentor him. Some of the greatest minds there are in terms of guard play.

Mavs need some draft picks to pay off. That's why it stings so bad to have Jalen leave" he's literally one of two good picks the Mavs have had this decade. It seems like most teams have 1-2 a year.
Yeah you look at most contenders....one thing that is consistent is they hit on their draft picks. You have to hit on these players..you won't always do it but it helps to have the picks. And there's been a bunch of late 1st rounders/early 2nd rounders it seems these past few years come right in and look to contribute. Hardy looks like he can be that next guy. I guess it will depend on his development.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Malcolm Brogdon talk. I just say talk because who knows if it's legit or not.

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1541888692146413568

Old 06-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

You know its funny the one guy I thought maybe the Pacers would be interested in is probably Brunson and he's on his way out. I don't know what it would take to get Brogdon but I'd be for it. Hell I'd take Myles Turner too lol.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Old 06-28-2022, 05:38 PM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

I don't see how the hell the Mavs would be able to pull it off, but you IF they did, then the offseason is a home run because I would trade Brunson for Brogdon straight up and consider that a win.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:17 PM   #14
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

John Wall?
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:21 PM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
John Wall?
Clippers.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #16
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Double

Last edited by JustJay; 06-28-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #17
JustJay

We'll probably end up with Dragic and nothing else.

Least we got Wood or this summer would be a disaster.

Last edited by JustJay; 06-28-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:52 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Let me tell you how bad of a decision this is for Brunson. I'm playing COD cold war after work with my gaming friends, medium to zero NBA knowledge people. When I told them about this, without hesitation, all of them said how awful the Knicks were. Why would he choose that. None of them from Dallas.

Weird.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-28-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Let me tell you how bad of a decision this is for Brunson. I'm playing COD cold war after work with my gaming friends, medium to zero NBA knowledge people. When I told them about this, without hesitation, all of them said how awful the Knicks were. Why would he choose that. None of them from Dallas.

Weird.
I mean I get it. His pops is there, he wants a bigger role...and while most think low of the franchise....its still the Knicks. Its still the Garden. And I think guys go there thinking what if they're the ones who can bring that title back to the Knicks. I see some perks to it for Brunson. And if it doesn't work out? Ask for a trade to a contender. Typically how these things go.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #20
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

And I'm sure it was no accident that Hardy had a small press conference today knowing the Brunson news would break.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:03 PM   #21
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

According to his IG looks like Cuban is in NY. He just posted a photo of himself at a gym.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #22
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
According to his IG looks like Cuban is in NY. He just posted a photo of himself at a gym.
Chain himself to the garden so Brunson will change his mind?
Old 06-28-2022, 07:09 PM   #23
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Sources said the Mavs are willing to give Brunson a five-year contract ? which only Dallas can offer due to owning his Bird rights ? that is comparable to the four-year, $85 million deal guard Fred VanVleet signed with the Toronto Raptors in 2020. ? via Tim MacMahon @ ESPN
Old 06-28-2022, 07:19 PM   #24
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Sources said the Mavs are willing to give Brunson a five-year contract ? which only Dallas can offer due to owning his Bird rights ? that is comparable to the four-year, $85 million deal guard Fred VanVleet signed with the Toronto Raptors in 2020. ? via Tim MacMahon @ ESPN
Huh?

Oh and so much for the lead guard stuff...

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/st...07196132327425

Old 06-28-2022, 07:55 PM   #25
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Huh?

I?m guessing there is no way to make this a 3 team deal where maybe we get/give something to/from SA?

NYK going to give up our 2023 pick + 3 more 1st for Murray? I thought I read they were asking for 4 1sts for Murray.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #26
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Huh?

They must be high how on earth do they plan on getting Murray from them unless they are offering multiple 1sts for him? Which I guess is the plan....but then it goes back to how much money can they even offer?
Old 06-28-2022, 07:20 PM   #27
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the fun part people.

Let's see what Nico can do.

I'm still not too concerned about JB leaving.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #28
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

I want to have your optimism. I really, really do. So may I ask why you're not concerned?

Because the way I see it, yeah it's a huge overpay to keep Brunson, but we have no cap space and very little in the way of trade assets. So- to the Mavericks at least- he is virtually irreplaceable.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:24 PM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

The fact that they couldn't work out a S&T is a moderately concerning part. Like I feel Cuban just acts childishly in these instances and won't play ball only to hurt his own team. Noel, Burks and a few 2nds isn't great, but it's better than nothing.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:13 PM   #30
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

Might be a silly analogy but its not that I'm concerned with the loss of JB.......its like Aaron Rodgers....he can be down 21 points and I wouldn't be concerned that he can wield his team back in the game and win. Its just I'd rather not be down 21 points to begin with and make the W much easier. That's how I Feel about this offseason. Losing Brunson wouldn't be the end all because we did get Wood. But then Wood doesn't become a addition it becomes a swap. Sort of puts you right back where you were IMO.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Might be a silly analogy but its not that I'm concerned with the loss of JB.......its like Aaron Rodgers....he can be down 21 points and I wouldn't be concerned that he can wield his team back in the game and win. Its just I'd rather not be down 21 points to begin with and make the W much easier. That's how I Feel about this offseason. Losing Brunson wouldn't be the end all because we did get Wood. But then Wood doesn't become a addition it becomes a swap. Sort of puts you right back where you were IMO.
If we can find another quality ball handling guard to replace Brunson, then I'll have no problem letting him walk. But I just don't see it.

I hope to god Nico has some kind of ace up his sleeve that we don't know about. And I hope to god this is a calculated basketball decision, and not just Cuban being squeamish about the luxury tax.

Because if Cuban has decided he's not willing to go past a certain point into the tax, then the Mavs will never be contenders and are truly screwed.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:22 PM   #32
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
If we can find another quality ball handling guard to replace Brunson, then I'll have no problem letting him walk. But I just don't see it.

I hope to god Nico has some kind of ace up his sleeve that we don't know about. And I hope to god this is a calculated basketball decision, and not just Cuban being squeamish about the luxury tax.

Because if Cuban has decided he's not willing to go past a certain point into the tax, then the Mavs will never be contenders and are truly screwed.
I'm not even that entirely sold on Brunson either. But I do like that he offered us a trade piece potentially. That's the only aspect that's going to hurt IMO. We lose him or nothing. Hell I was even for bringing in Noel and Reddish...seems that was too good to be true....and that isn't even all that great lol.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:55 PM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Woj-

"The Knicks are trading center Nerlens Noel and guard Alec Burks to the Pistons, sources tell ESPN. The Knicks will unload $19M more in salary, clearing the way for cap space to try and sign free agent guard Jalen Brunson."

*sigh* We're boned.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:08 PM   #34
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Noel, Burks, 2 2nd round picks, $6 million in cash?.

Not to mention the draft day trades, the Knicks have done a lot to clear space for JB. He gone and we just lost any leverage for a SNT. But holy shit, they?re treating JB like he?s a Kyrie-level talent (spoiler alert, he isn?t).
Old 06-28-2022, 09:55 PM   #35
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Noel, Burks, 2 2nd round picks, $6 million in cash?.

Not to mention the draft day trades, the Knicks have done a lot to clear space for JB. He gone and we just lost any leverage for a SNT. But holy shit, they?re treating JB like he?s a Kyrie-level talent (spoiler alert, he isn?t).
Damn. Wish the Knicks would have waited and offered that package to us for JB. Certainly looks like he?s gone, but it?s not the first time the Knicks have cleared out space for a star (or 2 KD/Irving). I was just looking up Burks because I?m not familiar with him. Good size and shoots well from 3. Really bummed that all signs point to us losing our 2nd best player and get nada in return.

Based off comments on IG and Reddit Knicks fans are less than thrilled to be paying JB $20+ million per year. I?ll always root for Brunson (I?m a Villanova fan), but the way this situation is unfolding will leave a bad taste. Guess we have to bank on THJ and Wood to pickup the slack on offense.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:09 PM   #36
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Woj-

"The Knicks are trading center Nerlens Noel and guard Alec Burks to the Pistons, sources tell ESPN. The Knicks will unload $19M more in salary, clearing the way for cap space to try and sign free agent guard Jalen Brunson."

*sigh* We're boned.
I can understand not wanting Noel, but man Burks seems ideal. Major fail.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:11 PM   #37
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Woj-

*sigh* We're boned.
Those assholes...at this point I wish we'd do something to prevent them from giving up something to get Brunson.....
Old 06-28-2022, 09:15 PM   #38
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

F Brunson. This is some Brutus shit as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the Mavs didn't extend you to lesser money (not that anyone is positive you would have taken that anyway), but you still did us dirty. You are dead to me.

And pure tampering all around, but the league will do nothing as usual.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #39
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
F Brunson. This is some Brutus shit as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the Mavs didn't extend you to lesser money (not that anyone is positive you would have taken that anyway), but you still did us dirty. You are dead to me.

And pure tampering all around, but the league will do nothing as usual.
Well the good part for him is that the story is he tried to sign at a much cheaper deal. Whether its true or not....we know the Mavs could've got him wrapped up before now and didn't. They weren't loyal to him so he's deciding to do what's best for himself. Part of the game.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:21 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

TMac reporting Mavs best offer would be 22 per over 5 years. While that may piss some off, I don't think it really mattered if Brunson was going to the Knicks anyway. Like even if we offered him 30, doubt he stays.

Just a crappy day. Oh well.