Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2001, 07:59 AM   #1
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

look at this:
Seattle interested in aquiring Booth

Sounds like some work to do for Mr. C and Mr. N

J
Old 07-24-2001, 08:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I hope Calvin stays in Dallas, because the Mavs need his D-talent.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 08:33 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

If I was Booth, I would certainly be interested in playing starting center for Seattle. The Mavs aren't going to be able to offer that. I question Seattle's desire for him though, because I never thought he was good enough to be a starting center. If Seattle is banking on him playing 30-35 minutes a game, they are going to be in real trouble IMO.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 08:51 AM   #4
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

No! Not Boothe. Please don't go! Who is going to give us fans hope on those classic Shawn Bradley 5 foul, 5 point 5 rebound outings. Neither Bradly or Boothe are good enough on thier own.

jt
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:29 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Booth doesn't want to go, but he's probably exploring the opportunity to start and also he's probably using this as some leverage also to get as much as he can probably get, which is not a bad move either.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:52 AM   #6
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Somebody correct me, but I believe that Dallas had to offer a "deposit" or offer of around $680 thousand in order to maintain Booth's status of restricted free agent. I imagine the purpose of Booth's trip is to get matching offers (read leverage) in order to get a large contract as possible from the Mavs. If Booth's largest offer is $2 million a year, then Mavs only need to match the offer plus a little gimme in order to keep Booth and not have to use up the remaining available cap or exception so that it can be used on someone else. Just because Cuban is rich doesn't mean he has to max out Booth...Booth will be back.....besides Seattle has found some adequate centers in their summerleague.....
Old 07-24-2001, 12:23 PM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

Unless I read wrong, I thought the Mavs were looking at resignin him for around $4mil a year. From what it seems like, Seattle was looking at offering him a little more than that. Since he's a restricted free agent, the Mavs have the ability to match any offer he's given, which it sounds like Cuban will do.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:28 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs would only be able to match up to $4 mil though. If Seattle offers more, he may just take the money and run.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 12:37 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Since the Mavs are over the cap, the most they can do is offer him the 4.5 million exception. If Booth signs for more than that in Seattle, he's gone.

So the question is, if Booth is offered a multi year deal for more than the exception, will he take it? I can't see why he woudln't. He's playing behind a relatively young center at 29 in Bradley, and the Mavs also have the choice of playing 22 year old Dirk there. Wang could play the five as well if he develops. So if Booth is ever going to be a star (or an everyday starter), he's got to leave Dallas. Playing for a winning team is nice, but in real life most people don't turn down more money and more playing time to play for a team that could POTENTIALLY challenge for a title. Selling Booth on Dallas could be harder for Cuban than his Yahoo deal.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:54 PM   #10
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well, I couldn't blame him for leaving to be a starter. However sometimes as a player people need to accept that they're suited best for back up duty. (ala: Ike Austin) I think the jury is still out on Booth if he's up to the task yet, however I have to believe he's better than Jelani McCoy!!!
Old 07-24-2001, 12:58 PM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Madape, are you sure that's right? I though I heard that the Mavs could offer him up to a 2 year, $8 million deal? Early Bird rights or something. Maybe I missunderstood. I don't know, I'm clueless about that kinda stuff.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 01:00 PM   #12
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I may be wrong on this, but my impression was that the Mavs could offer Booth as much as the mid-level exception WITHOUT USING the exception itself. However, if he were offered more than that, the Mavs would not be able to match...
Old 07-24-2001, 01:40 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

This is what the FWST says:

Booth draws interest

With millions to spend and a huge hole in the middle of the starting lineup, the Seattle SuperSonics have turned their attention to Mavericks center Calvin Booth. The 6-foot-11 free agent has agreed to meet with the Sonics this week to discuss becoming their starting center next season.

Booth is a restricted free agent, meaning that he isn't free to leave the Mavericks unless another team offers a salary starting at more than about $4.5 million, but the Sonics are one of the few clubs that can circumvent Dallas' advantage. Seattle can potentially clear more than $5 million under the salary cap, more than any team except the Pistons, Clippers and Rockets.

(My question is this: can we use part of the exception to keep him? Or, are we out of luck if Seattle offers more than $4.5? I wonder if that's why the Mavs almost received Brendon Haywood because they think there's a chance Booth goes to Seattle? But, Cuban says they'll match any offer no if's and's or but's...what the hell does that mean?)
Old 07-24-2001, 02:54 PM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

That's where I get confused too, because he's saying he'll match. However what everyone is telling me we can't go above $4.5 mil. My understanding was that we could match any offer another team gives him because of the Bird rule?
Old 07-24-2001, 03:13 PM   #15
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

you have to hold a players rights for 3 years for the Bird rule to kick in.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 03:24 PM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

My impression is that because Booth is a restricted free agent, the Mavs can match any offer he is made. However (for reasons I do not understand) if the offer is for more than the exception, we would have to burn the exception as part of our offer. So if he gets an offer for more than 4.5 million, we can still keep him, but we lose the large exception to do so.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 03:26 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

Right, Booth is not a Bird yet.. just a restricted free agent.

I've heard from a couple of sources that the Mavs would receive a trade exception of around $6 million if the Hayward trade went down. Can anyone explain how this works?
Old 07-24-2001, 06:35 PM   #18
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

madape- Player salaries don't have to match each other if at least one team is under the cap and can absorb larger salaries. If Dallas were to essentially trade Eisley ($6 million contract) to Detroit (under the cap) for Haywood ($0 million contract), in order to make up the difference, we would get a $6 million (difference between salaries) exception for use only in trades, which would be VERY handy as we are over the cap. Essentially, that means we could trade a $4 million player for a $10 million player ($6 million difference between salaries), despite being over the cap, by invoking the exception...
Old 07-24-2001, 07:36 PM   #19
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

If Booth leaves that makes the Howard trade look even worse. It would also mean Dirk really has to play alot of center next season. Would be a step into the wrong direction IMO.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote