Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-26-2001, 06:13 AM   #1
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

When did you First see Dirk 'WizKid' Nowitzki ? and
What was your FIRST impression of him ?

I saw him at the 1999-2000 All-Star shoot-out contest for the first time.
and my impression was "Who's that guy ?", "Dirk Who ?" ...
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2001, 08:21 AM   #2
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

The first time I saw my "hero" Dirk Nowitzki was in a german basketball magazine in 1995, i think, when he was still playing in the second german league for DJK Wuerzburg. When I read this article I didn't think about him playing in the NBA in the future. When I saw him play on tv for the first time (only a 5 or 10 minutes highlight) he already was the team's outstanding player. From when his team came up to the first league on I followed his games as much as possible and I was really happy that he was drafted by the Mavs in 1998! The only time I saw him in real life was an autograph hour(?) this year at a streetball tournament.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 08:29 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Did you guys ever see the movie "Hoop Dreams"? It was a documentary on high school ballers and their adventures trying to make it to the big leagues. One of the guys the producers featured played in Europe for a while and played a game against Wurzburg while Dirk played there. The American team was in awe of him and Dirk dropped bomb after bomb on them. After the game the many of the players told him "see you in the NBA".
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 08:54 AM   #4
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Did you meet him face-to-face ? did you get his autograph ?
If so, you absolutely lucked out !!!
What position did he play in 1995 ?
The old pics showed that he used to play guard, am I right ?
It's too late
Old 07-26-2001, 08:59 AM   #5
NotEnuffEyesToSee

"Hoop Dreams" ? I know that movie, but never saw that one ...
But l'd love to see that film, Dirk dropped bomb after bomb ... that could be awesome ...
It's too late
Old 07-26-2001, 09:01 AM   #6
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Do you know what happened to those guys who said "see you in the NBA" ?
I'm just curious ...
It's too late
Old 07-26-2001, 10:41 AM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if any of the players ever made it to the NBA. They were all players who weren't drafted and couldn't make any NBA rosters. The movie did say that the guy they were featuring never made it. As far as I know Dirk was the only legitimate prospect on the court. If you do rent the movie - be on the lookout for Juwan Howard who also makes an appearance in the film. He was in a pre-college camp with the same main character.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 10:51 AM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I first saw Dirk at the Nike HoopSummit(I think that's what it was) in San Antonio where his team(coached by Donnie) played a group of American players. That was 1-2 years before he was drafted.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 11:34 AM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

The movie Hoop Dreams I saw that about 1,000 times. Actually Finley is in that movie too. He has a BIG JERRY CURL too...
Old 07-26-2001, 12:20 PM   #10
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I first saw him at the hoop summit as well. I remember this big white dude getting to the line about 14 times throughout the game and kind of wondering who the heck he was. A year later, the mavs traded for him, and it all kind of clicked. We were having a draft party at a friends apartment, and they showed a clip of him hitting a 3 and taking it too the hole after the trade, everyone was bitching about another white stiff, and I said something like "I think I've seen this dude before, he's not bad". Needless to say, he's not bad...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 05:05 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I never saw him before the NBA. Actually never even heard of him until a week before the draft. When Nellie drafted him I thought: Shit, going after another Euro-prospect that isn't going to do squat. And for a year and a half I was right. But when I saw him in that game against Seattle when he dunked over two players I knew he had "arrived." Now I can't get enough, and he is by far my favorite player in the NBA.

And I love Pinto's moniker of him: the Bavarian Blietzkrieg. Because he fills it up in a hurry.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 05:33 PM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

not Blietzkrieg - Blitzkrieg [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Though it´s an expression we dont like too much over here. It arose during WW II with Germany´s attacks over Poland, Czech Republic ...

J
Old 07-26-2001, 08:16 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Im like Bayliss...I'd never heard of him until we drafted him--or if I did, I didn't remember the name...I remember it now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2001, 07:08 AM   #14
NotEnuffEyesToSee

I dropped by several video stores to rent the video, but they don't have that one ...
Anyway thanks for you guys' stories ...
It's too late
Old 07-27-2001, 08:10 AM   #15
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry NEETS, I don't remember what position he played, cause at that time I wasn't so well informed about bball as I'm now. By the way I was only 10 years old. But I think he played guard.
Old 07-27-2001, 09:21 AM   #16
NotEnuffEyesToSee

I want to see Nowitzki play guard like Toni Kukoc ...
It's too late
Old 07-29-2001, 12:47 AM   #17
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Me too Madape, I first saw dirk like 4 years ago in that Documentary about that team full of americans playing abroad. Dirk was the stud of the opposing german team and he dropped like 44 on them. He was playing outside-in, like a forward NEETS.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:05 AM   #18
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Now I wanna see that documentary film even MORE than ever, but I can't rent that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
It's too late
Old 07-29-2001, 01:26 AM   #19
NotEnuffEyesToSee

I just searched and found out about the cast about the film ...
CWebb also appeared in that film along with Jalen Rose, of course J. Howard ...
and other coaches like coach K, Bobby Knight, Rick Pitino ...
but I can't find Nowitzki's name, of course at that time no one knows and cares 'bout him.
It's too late
Old 07-29-2001, 01:39 AM   #20
Rod1975
Golden Member

I dont think we are talking about the same movie here. lol
The one I'm talking about was filmed on location throughout europe.
Too bad the name of it escapes me. And as I recall, Dirk is the only player in the whole movie you might recognize unless you're some kind of pro scout.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:51 AM   #21
Platinum Member

I'm so stupid, if I would have only known that! In America I've been to a friend and I wanted to watch that movie, but he didn't want to because he said it was boring, so I didn't care!
And I guess I can't get this movie in Germany, but perhaps I can manage to get it from the UK.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2001, 04:54 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Sorry NEETS I totally forgot to answer your question abot if I got Dirk's autograph!
Well yeah I got on my Mavericks Cap, on photo and on my tournement jersey of the basketball challenge. I didn't talk much with I just wished him lcuk for the next season.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:18 AM   #23
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Rod1975, weren't you talkin' about "Hoop Dreams" ?
mavs.exit.de, can I borrow that cap for a year or so ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ...
It's too late
Old 07-29-2001, 09:00 AM   #24
Rod1975
Golden Member

If "Hoop Dreams" was the name of the movie that filmed a team full of american NBA hopefuls touring europe playing various european club teams then I guess thats it. I dont recall Webber or Howard being in it. I was just a bunch of unknown americans trying to get noticed by european/NBA scouts. Oh please if anyone knows the name of this movie im talking about let me know. I've seen it like 5 times on cable a few years back, and I cant remember the name and its buggin' me.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:24 AM   #25
NotEnuffEyesToSee

"Did you guys ever see the movie "Hoop Dreams"?" that was what madape said,
"Me too Madape, I first saw dirk like 4 years ago in that Documentary" and this is what
you said ... so I guess the movie's title must be "Hoop Dreams", and TheKid said that
Finley also appeared in that film ... Hoop Dreams was made in 1994 ...
It's too late