Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default streaming raw video from PC to TV

I was just wondering if there was any way to wirelessly transmit video from a computer to a PC. I know there are ways like PlayOn and TVersity that allow you to stream your video files from your PC to your 360, PS3, etc but I have the worst cable company ever and I just bought nba league pass broadband on a lark. I have a nice big TV but I dont know if there's a way to have NBA LP show up on the TV.

Any ideas? I cant really move my computer and I only have the one wired connection in a different room than the TV and the whole idea is not only to watch the video bigger, but also to have it in a room other than my bedroom.

I have a PS3 and 360 as well as a townhome-wide wifi connection but no uber-media-share computer.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I a wireless connection to my laptop hooked up to my big screen TV all of the time. I just use a normal HP low-end laptop (~$500) bucks. IMO a netbook would probably do it also. The quality is eh? Some is better than others. If you can somehow get the stream buffered up it will help. Also not running it completely fullscreen will help. Many times if it just cannot keep up full screen on my computer, I will increase the size of the browser (you could probably do it by decreasing the resolution of the computer screen also, I tried it the other day to look at a browser window. )

Is this what you are interested in Erica?
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a ZINO HD from dell. It supposedly handles HD just fine (of the h.264 variety, AKA most of HD nowadays) with its CPU/GPU combo. About 200 bucks, but with the added benefit of being a full on computer really. It's basically a netbook without a keyboard and mouse. BTW, Today you can go to www.bing.com/cashback and they will give you cashback for it when you buy directly from dell. The percentage is very high today, presumably because of Black Friday. It's at 20%, which it hasn't been at for as far as I can remember.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I just haul my computer into the living room all the time so I can hook it up with that DVI/HDMI cable and watch the computer screen in 1080p. Takes about six minutes to move it and set it up.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I just haul my computer into the living room all the time so I can hook it up with that DVI/HDMI cable and watch the computer screen in 1080p. Takes about six minutes to move it and set it up.
DirkaDirka...You know I do also but most of the time I have to restart the dang thing to get audio to my TV via the DVI port!!! Drives me crazy because mickeysoft does take forever to boot up.

I do not know if it's my TV not detecting something or the PC (because I always suspect the PC, I'm thinking that is it). If I could find a utility that would sorta initialize the DVI port I'd try it.

I also got a bluetooth keyboard mouse that REALLY makes it worth doing. You get very used to being able to play/pause/rewind stuff...not being able to do that from the recliner is a whip.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
DirkaDirka...You know I do also but most of the time I have to restart the dang thing to get audio to my TV via the DVI port!!! Drives me crazy because mickeysoft does take forever to boot up.
Odd, because my TV just had some menu option whether the audio should be taken from the analog channel or one of the HDMI channels. I've had more problems just getting the video, which is solved by setting up/turning on everything in exactly the right order.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 11-27-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I have a slightly older laptop that still has a video card and a dual core processor. I could hypothetically hook that up because I have one of the monitor jacks on my tv, and I think the notebook has an HDMI.

Broadband doesnt seem HD to me at all though-- its been barely better than the links that people post (but without all the skipping and loss of signal). Does NBALPB scale its quality like netflix?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

I don't really know what nbalpb does with their video? I have seen HD quality streaming video (fox for example). NOW you are talking about getting HD over streaming....DANG....so picky!!.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I was just curious. The quality is definitely acceptable and beggars can't be too choosy (even if they sunk 100 big ones in the service). I have netflix hooked up and when other people jump on my wifi, the netflix re-evaluates my internet speed and lowers the quality of the video, sometimes down to youtube quality which kinda stinks on a hi-def tv.

Anyway the laptop idea is fun. I'd love to get out popcorn and watch the Mavs on the big screen rather than at my desk in my room so Ill have to give it a try.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure this doesn't fit here as you want live video (probably slingcatcher or something, but it's quite costly) but I just got a WDTV Live and it is suh-weet. It plays just about any format out there and it is rather affordable. Plug and play as they come. I guess if someone is doing a search on the forums and ends up in this thread, then I'd like to say: WDTV Live= highly recommended.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 50-foot vga cable and use my tv as a monitor in 1920x1080.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

VGA? C'mon man, at least DVI, at least DVI!