Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-29-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good mix: Mavs blending right out of the box

Good mix: Mavs blending right out of the box

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
07:57 PM CST on Sunday, November 28, 2004

The instant world is a wonderful thing.

First, you could throw popcorn in the microwave, and it was done. Then you could click a camera and find out whose eyes are closed right away.

And now, through Mavericks magic, you can throw eight NBA players together for the first time and – presto! – instant karma.

The Mavericks are blasting holes in the age-old argument that becoming a cohesive, close-knit team takes months, if not seasons. Michael Jordan needed years with Scottie Pippen and a cast of Jordanettes before he won his first title. Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant took three years getting to know and like each other before success taught them how to revile each other.Even the champion Detroit Pistons needed two seasons together (risking chemical imbalance along the way with the acquisition of Rasheed Wallace) before they won a ring.

The Mavericks haven't won anything yet. But they may be an exception to the chemistry rule.

Chemistry is a strange thing. Last season, the Mavericks never had it. They preached from the beginning that they would need time for all the new parts to grease up and start working fluidly with each other instead of against each other.

Never happened.

This season, it was fair to wonder what would happen given that eight of the 13 players who have suited up thus far are new to the program.

"You get a bunch of good guys together and you win, and they're going to have good chemistry," says coach Don Nelson, who has seen all manner of good chemistry and bad. "But even with good guys, if you don't win, chemistry is tougher."

So far – even through a mini-slump last week – the Mavericks are a big, happy family on the court. And there are several reasons beyond the winning for the instant chemistry. First on the list: Avery Johnson.

"First, you need decent guys, and we have that," says assistant coach Del Harris, having seen the vagaries of chemistry never found. "But then you need leadership that waters it and makes it grow. I got to give Avery a whole lot of credit. He has an infectious spirit that unites people."

That's why Johnson is commended by Nelson, Harris, Mark Cuban and just about everybody else who has ever worked with him as being a can't-miss head coach in seasons to come.

He comes by leadership naturally. He has a flair for sensing when people need a pat on the back or a kick a little lower. He also knows how to read people.

"You need a facilitator," Johnson says. "That's part of who I am. A lot of times, it's sniffing out stuff before stuff happens. You can read guys' body language. You can read how guys feel about one another, without them even talking. If you have a guy who can sniff those things out, you can nip things in the bud before they get out of hand."

In training camp, Johnson helped galvanize the Mavericks with a team luncheon he called to announce his retirement as a player before unveiling it publicly. He will call other meetings when he deems it necessary. But he also credits the players for cultivating chemistry.

"It's a tribute to the personalities you have on the team," Johnson says. "I think you have certain guys that you think are going to, quote, cause trouble. Most of the times, those guys were frustrated with losing.

"Guys like Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse, they only had one thing on their mind – winning. It's like when Nick [Van Exel] came here. Nobody knew what to expect. Nick was one of the best teammates anybody saw around here."

There are other reasons the Mavericks are happy fingers in a form-fitting glove. The role players who surround Dirk Nowitzki, Erick Dampier, Michael Finley and Devin Harris are working out wonderfully. The grunt workers' impact can never be overstated. And the leader of the pack, Nowitzki, also has asserted himself more to insert fun and passion into practice sessions.

Last season, nobody was comfortable in his role, making it hard to create chemistry.

"I think chemistry is something that, once you have it, you're more likely to keep it than you are to find it if you don't have it," Del Harris says. "I think it's here to stay. The common denominator is concern for others and enthusiasm. We have that."

Even during the recent losing streak, players didn't mope or point fingers, either publicly or, according to the staff, privately. That's the sign of good chemistry.

"I think Fin, Dirk, A.J. and Nellie did a great job of making sure we used training camp for the guys to get to know, respect and like each other," Cuban says. "There were team dinners, team meetings, more time together. Rallying together to put their hands over their hearts during the national anthem as a sign of team unity. Combine that with a group of really good guys, and you have a great foundation for team chemistry."

WHAT IT TAKES

Here's what's in the test tube to make better chemistry and how the Mavericks have done in each department.

Selflessness

Fewer bad shots, more ball movement.

Accountability

Everybody's willing to stand up for his errors.

Leadership

Avery Johnson has become a conduit from players to coaches.

No knuckleheads

We don't want to name names, but last season they had 'oine.

Winning

It cures all and fosters a harmonious atmosphere.

E-mail esefko@dallasnews.com

TRUE OR FALSE

When Michael Finley returns, Josh Howard should remain a starter.

True: Is Howard a better player than Finley? No. But that doesn't mean he should abdicate his spot in the starting lineup. Howard plays a major role in what the Mavericks want to become – an aggressive defensive team. He's an athletic, high-energy player who helps set the defensive tempo and doesn't need the ball in his hands to make an offensive impact. You can argue – actually, you won't, so I will – that he's the glue that has allowed this team to come together quicker than expected. My solution: start both and bring an ailing Marquis Daniels off the bench. Whatever happens, don't sit Howard.

David Moore

False: We don't want to create the perception that D-Moore is high maintenance, but let's just say he has a flair for asking the server for extra lemon after she's already brought him the iced tea. He enjoys doing things the hard way. The projected starting lineup before all the injuries hit was for Finley to be small forward and Marquis Daniels and Devin Harris to be in the backcourt. Why abandon that? That group gives Don Nelson his best offensive team, and Daniels knows a thing or two about defense, too. That allows Nelson to have two great sixth-man options – Jerry Stackhouse for offense and Howard for defense, although his offensive game has grown considerably. Go with the simple solution.

Eddie Sefko

MAVS MEMORY

In the Mavericks' 25th season, Mavericks Extra takes a look at a piece of history.

The owners

Donald Carter was a cowboy if there ever was one. Ross Perot Jr. was a businessman, plain and simple. Mark Cuban is a world-class promoter.

All different in their own way, the Mavericks' three owners have played roles in shaping the franchise into what it is today: A franchise with a devoted fan base, a beautiful downtown arena and young, exciting players.

Carter formed "The Committee," made up of himself, general manager Norm Sonju, director of player personnel Rick Sund and coach Dick Motta, before the Mavericks' inaugural season in 1980.

Carter's regime was known for being extremely fan-friendly. Led by Sonju, "The Committee" did whatever it could to bring fans to Reunion Arena, including offering a stipend for gas for Fort Worth natives during the Mavericks' first season.

Carter sold the Mavericks to Perot in 1996. Over the next two years, Perot was instrumental in two major developments: the hiring of Don Nelson as general manager and the building of American Airlines Center near downtown Dallas.

Perot sold the Mavericks, after much prodding, to Cuban for an NBA franchise-record $280 million in 2000. Cuban wanted the Mavericks so badly that he overpaid by $113 million, according to Forbes Magazine.

Cuban, known for his tirades against referees and his ability to respond to thousands of fan e-mails per day, appears to have the Mavericks headed in a winning direction.

J. Brady McCollough
Old 11-29-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE:Good mix: Mavs blending right out of the box

Howard must start. We should allow Fin and Daniels to share time for a few games before Fin is 100% and then bench Daniels until he is 100%.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I got to give Avery a whole lot of credit. He has an infectious spirit that unites people."

That's why Johnson is commended by Nelson, Harris, Mark Cuban and just about everybody else who has ever worked with him as being a can't-miss head coach in seasons to come.

He comes by leadership naturally. He has a flair for sensing when people need a pat on the back or a kick a little lower. He also knows how to read people.

"You need a facilitator," Johnson says. "That's part of who I am. A lot of times, it's sniffing out stuff before stuff happens. You can read guys' body language. You can read how guys feel about one another, without them even talking. If you have a guy who can sniff those things out, you can nip things in the bud before they get out of hand."
[img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #4
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I also believe Howard needs to start. He does so many little things during a basketball game that it would be a shame to not have him out on the court in the beginning of a game where we need all the help we can get.

It's a tough call for the starting lineup because I would like to see Quiesey get the starting nod, but it's no secret that Dirk needs someone to take a little attention away from him on the offensive end.

In the end I suppose it really doesn't matter who we start in regards to Fin and Marquise but I would like them bot to get equal minutes in a game.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

I wonder what last years team would have been like with Avery Johnson on the team? He does seem like he is a key factor in this years early success.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default RE: Good mix: Mavs blending right out of the box

Without a doubt Howard needs to start. We can always switch him and finley around on the floor to take pressure off of Dirk. Three-man rotation at the 2 and 3 might work out pretty well.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
No knuckleheads
funny line about 'toine...
Old 11-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does Sefko believe that he should be allowed to pop off to anyone concerning basketball?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote