Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finley takes first step toward return

Finley takes first step toward return
Injured forward gets back on court; may play later this week

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Michael Finley made his return to the basketball court Wednesday, shooting jump shots for an hour and running end-to-end on the court.

It was his first on-court action since spraining his right ankle Nov. 9. Finley is not yet ready to return to games, but he said he's getting closer.

"Two things have to happen," Finley said. "I have to be confident in the ankle when I go back on the court, and I have to be able to do certain things.

"Right now, I can't do those things."

Finley would not guess whether he would be able to play against Portland on Friday or Memphis on Saturday.

"It's not where I want it to be, but we're getting closer," Finley said. "I'm not putting a specific timetable on it. If you do that, you're disappointed if you don't make it. We haven't had any major setbacks."

Finley would like to go through at least one practice before returning to game action.

This is only the second serious ankle sprain Finley has had in his career. He also turned his ankle during the last regular-season game in his rookie season. He remembered trying to practice the next day and hoping to play in the playoffs. But pushing the ankle took its toll.

"That pushed me back maybe a month," he said.

He isn't going to make the same mistake this time.

Seats for soldiers:

The Mavericks will have all front-row ticket holders give up their seats for the Atlanta Hawks game Dec. 18 so that they can be given to soldiers who have been part of the war in Iraq.

Owner Mark Cuban and long-time season-ticket holder Neal Hawks came up with the idea to give seats to soldiers, many of whom have been injured, and their families.

"Neal did this last year with his tickets, and this year he asked if we could get the whole front row," Cuban said. "I hope it's an idea that every team does."

Playing through it:

Jason Terry is "nowhere close" to 100 percent, his sprained ankle still curtailing his ability to do certain things on the court.

"But I'm here for the battle," he said. "Sometimes you get a little tentative because you worry about rolling it again. And it's still a little painful at times."

Time is the only thing that could help Terry, but he said he does not plan to sit out any games.

Feeling strange in SA:

Avery Johnson spent much of his playing career in San Antonio, but his coaching career is beginning in Dallas.

The assistant to Don Nelson admits it isn't easy adjusting to the coaching life.

"I've been going through a lot of weird stuff," he said. "You can't go out on the court and control things like I used to. I always took things home. I had to because I knew David [Robinson] was out playing his sax or the piano. But now, it's worse."

Johnson is not your typical coach. Two examples are his friendship with San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, with whom he had dinner Tuesday, and the fact that religion is a major part of Johnson's life.

"Coaches don't fraternize anymore," Johnson said. "When we're on the court, we want to beat each other's behind. But Pop and I will always be friends."

And as for his religion?

"Nobody ever called me the choir boy," Johnson said. "If they don't understand what you're saying, then you have to get on a level they will understand.

"It's like Reggie White used to be. He'd tear you apart on the field, then pray for you. He's a better man than me. I just want to tear you apart."
Old 11-25-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Finley takes first step toward return

My chief concern is that Finley not rush back...and from the sound of this article, he will not.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Finley takes first step toward return

The Mavs have to have someone that can hit the open jumper or it does absolutely no good for Dirk to draw a double team. Right now, they have no one. Fin, get well soon.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

well, a fully healthy Terry was proving an adequte jump shooter...but with that ankle it sounds as if he can't do much.....I wonder if is will get as bad as Nellie pulling Dickau off the bench just to find somene healthy to hit a J?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

Finely hardly gets any assist from dirk. What are you talking about!!!
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Turkey
Finely hardly gets any assist from dirk. What are you talking about!!!
Not directly no, but it forces the defense out of position and with good ball rotation, they usually find Fin on the second or 3rd pass.

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Seats for soldiers:

The Mavericks will have all front-row ticket holders give up their seats for the Atlanta Hawks game Dec. 18 so that they can be given to soldiers who have been part of the war in Iraq.

Owner Mark Cuban and long-time season-ticket holder Neal Hawks came up with the idea to give seats to soldiers, many of whom have been injured, and their families.

"Neal did this last year with his tickets, and this year he asked if we could get the whole front row," Cuban said. "I hope it's an idea that every team does."

Greatness....Can't wait to cheer those heroes at the AAC...

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I serioulsy doubt that Nellie will put Dickau in except for garbage time, but it is something to consider as long as Terry is hurt. This team really needs Finley back, and at full strength
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:28 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Jason Terry is "nowhere close" to 100 percent, his sprained ankle still curtailing his ability to do certain things on the court.
Then why is he playing? Why are we playing all of these players who aren't a 100%? We use that excuse when Marquis plays bad so why are we playing these guys? It's not like we are winning with them out on the court. They are just hurting themselves.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Because he needs to.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Because he needs to.
Needs to? We are in the first month of basketball. Explain to me what are we playing for? Then when Terry gets injured after the All Star Break let's see if he needs to play then. I'll take as many losses as possible if it would keep us injury free in the playoffs.

1996-2005
Old 11-26-2004, 11:55 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The DMN site updated and now has a notebook section. Here's the bit on Finley and now it makes more sense...

Briefly:

Michael Finley should return to action next week. Don Nelson said he was told Wednesday that it would be about a week before Finley could play.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:34 AM   #13
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

This is great news. I am looking forward to seeing Finley Dirk and Howard out there again. With Howard's improvement many good things can happen. I'm hoping to get back on our 105+ pts/game
Old 11-27-2004, 10:51 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

He needs to because they feel

1. He cannnot injure it further by playing on it. (I'm assuming).
2. So who plays the point? Marquis is just as banged up? Is it Devin the whole way.

My opinion is that you play if you can and will not injure yourself. Dirk did it, damps' doing it, 'quis is doing it, josh was doing it. It's a long season but you don't get to just call in sick. Getting behind by 5 games now is not a good, it saps your momentum and makes it that much harder to catch up.

It must be that finley was hurt much worse than everyone else (also I thinik the first bad ankle sprains are worse, don't ask me why, no data to back that up, just an opinion). We do need him back badly because our outside shooting is not a good. We also see a lot of folks bunched at the elbow a lot.

The offense will take a while to get some decent spacing.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Daniels hurting:

Guard Marquis Daniels continues to be bothered by a sprained ankle. Mavericks coach Don Nelson said Daniels was only about 70 percent in Saturday's win over Memphis.

"He said that much?" said Daniels, who had two points in 22 minutes. "I wish. It's internal. It's not swelling. That's the good part."

Daniels said he hoped to play Tuesday against San Antonio.

"I don't know," he said. "I think I can play, but I don't know."

Now Dude, explain to me how are the Mavs and Daniels benefiting from him playing hurt? This guy isn't recovering from injury.

1996-2005
Old 11-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

I think I actually might sit daniels BUT he was sat for weeks and weeks, so I don't know the circumstances. With both Jason Terry AND Marquis being out because of ankle sprains ( I think that is the point you are making) that would leave the team in the hands of harris/howard/dickau. I don't know about dickau but that sounds pretty tough to try and keep pace to me.

Being what 10-5 is a lot better than 5-10 right now. (An exaggeration...maybe)...

But again, I have to assume (maybe incorrectly) that they feel he cannot hurt it anymore, maybe to actually cure it he would have to sit the year?? I dont' know...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:31 PM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Taken from Pinto's game preview at the official site.

Sunday was an off-day for the Mavericks, but they got in a good practice session in anticipation of their second clash with Tim Duncan and company in the last six days. By the way, Michael Finley did not return to practice on Monday, so he will miss his 11th straight game Tuesday still recovering from the severely sprained right ankle he suffered November 9 in Orlando.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #18
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

good news. When he gets back and healthy, i really believe that we could be the best team in the league.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #19
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Kind of off topic here, but someone dropped Michael Finley in my fantasy league. Can you believe some people? A guy gets hurt for a couple weeks like he has every year of his carreer and they toss him. Ah, ye of little faith..put me over the top.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #20
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

i cant wait till he comes back so we can be winin like all the time
Old 11-30-2004, 12:53 AM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Mavericks: Finley expected to return later this week

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Tuesday, November 30, 2004

News

The Mavericks expect forward Michael Finley back at the end of the week. His sprained right ankle is progressing and the team is targeting their December 4 game against the Jazz as a potential return date. Finley has been out since November 9 because of the injury.

Views

The Mavericks can ease Finley back into the lineup because Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard have played well while he has been out. Fantasy owners who can change their lineups daily may be able to start Finley as soon as this weekend.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:21 AM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

We really need him and his shooting. People who doubted his importance coming into the season should take note of the Mavs' recent offensive impotence as a testament to Fin's value on this team.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

from the Dallas Morning News 11/30/04

Michael Finley will miss his 10th game tonight with a sprained ankle. He has been working out on his own, but did not practice Monday. "It's not getting any worse," he said of his ankle.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #24
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

It's dang good news Finley's back pretty soon. We need more consistency on the SG position and so far Daniels and Stackhouse are not showing it.

OT: Hey Turkey... nice little sig you got there. Been to Malaysia? Or are you Malaysian?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote