Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs' Stackhouse deals with bench marks

Mavs' Stackhouse deals with bench marks
Stackhouse continues adjustment to coming off the bench

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

Jerry Stackhouse wore the smile of a man who had broken out of a mild slump.

"Even when I'm not making the shots," Stackhouse said after Saturday's win over Memphis, "I feel good."

Maybe. But the up-and-down nature of his new role is something Stackhouse wrestles with occasionally, as he comes off the bench for the first time in his career.

The All-Star who has averaged more than 20 points for his career had only his fourth 20-point game of the season Saturday. Three of them have come on the road.

Coincidence?

"I don't know," Stackhouse said. "Maybe I put too much pressure on myself at home."

Stackhouse has scored nine points and gone 2-of-13 from the field in his last two games at American Airlines Center. He missed a shot in the final seconds that would have given the Mavericks a win over Minnesota last Monday.

That shot was only his ninth attempt of the evening. That's one of the biggest adjustments.

"A game where I go 1-of-4 or 4-of-14, I'm used to having those numbers in the first quarter," Stackhouse said. "It might seem to you that I had an off night. To me, the opportunities just weren't there.

"It's great when we win, and they don't need me to have to produce. I want to come out every game and have a big night for the team, but it's just not necessary with the guys we have who are capable of putting up numbers.

"When you have guys behind you who are as talented as we have, you don't have a real long leash," Stackhouse said. "You're going to get in, press a bit, have some turnovers, then Coach has some options. But if I stay aggressive, Coach normally sticks with me.

"That's what he wants to see, me driving and getting to the basket."

Briefly:

Not all went well in the win over Memphis. The starting backcourt of Devin Harris and Marquis Daniels was outscored, 24-2, by the Grizzlies' Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells. ... Mavericks coach Don Nelson gave his players Sunday off after the team played five games in seven days. "It seems we've been on the proverbial treadmill," Nelson said.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:48 AM   #2
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs' Stackhouse deals with bench marks

Quote:
"A game where I go 1-of-4 or 4-of-14, I'm used to having those numbers in the first quarter," Stackhouse said. "It might seem to you that I had an off night. To me, the opportunities just weren't there.
It's only a matter of time before Stack loses it. I hope we unload him before then.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Mavs' Stackhouse deals with bench marks

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
It's only a matter of time before Stack loses it. I hope we unload him before then.
At this point i'd trade him for Kidd.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote