Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-30-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavericks vs. Spurs Gameday Thread

N0 ph33r!

Tonite the Little General takes control of the Mavericks. How will he fare? Will this be any different than last game? Will the Mavs be able to execute on the offensive end this time around? Who will win the head to head duel: Dirk or Duncan? But more importantly, who will lead his team to victory? Tune in tonite and find out!

Sorry, that was me spouting, but this is the official gameday thread.

Mavs score 104 on their way to 3 in a row.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:27 AM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default RE:Mavericks vs. Spurs Gameday Thread

Mavs dominate.

Dirk controls the perimeter, Damp controls the paint, Lil' General controls the refs

It's going to be an ugly defense-oriented game though,

Mavs 98-91
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:27 AM   #3
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Mavericks vs. Spurs Gameday Thread

Mavs win 94-91

Dirk 27 points + 11 rebounds + 5 assists + 7 steals
Terry 17 points + 6 assists
Dampier 2 points + 2 rebounds
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The little General leads his team to his first win.

Keys to the game: Control the boards. Bring the Windex. Well... contain TD as much as possible also.... that would help out a bit.

Mavs - 94
**Spurs - 89

edit: Thanks for pointing out the oversight... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

u2 strikes back [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
The little General leads his team to his first win.

Keys to the game: Control the boards. Bring the Windex. Well... contain KG as much as possible also.... that would help out a bit.

Mavs - 94
**Spurs - 89
KG? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

AJ will play a bigger lineup and hopefully will use Josh and Stack as cutters when Dirk has the ball. We need a good game from JT and The Rook and if we can get anything positive out of Daniels then we should be winners tonight.

Spurs 88
Mavs 95
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs kick little rears....Put big time doubts into the spares.

Mave 95-85
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
Platinum Member

JHo should show us some nice perimeter defense vs. Ginobili tonight, with him and Parker kind of out of the game we win.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

KG's Keys To Beating the Spurs

1. Get Dampier involved early on the offensive end.

Although his stat line looked bad against the Spurs last week, I was at the game, and one thing was evident: Dampier can seal Nesterovic and get post position right in front of the rim. We've seen a concerted effort by the coaching staff to get Damp involved in the offense early in the last 2 games; we should see that again tonight. Dampier can score on Nesterovic, and it should lead to a better effort from our big man patrolling the paint on defense.

2. Attack Tim Duncan and make him play defense.

It sounds crazy to talk about attacking an excellent defender, but for large portions of the game last week, he was guarding Dirk Nowitzki. I'm sorry, but there's no way he can cover Dirk out on the elbow. Dirk should face him up and take him to the basket. Some foul trouble early for Duncan would make a big difference in the game.

3. Move the ball on offense.

We've seen flashes of it. We know the team is capable of playing well and moving the ball well on the offensive end. They just need to do it more consistently. The key to beating a very good Spurs defense is not one-on-one play for the majority of the game, like the Mavs tried last week in San Antonio. It's moving the ball and forcing the defense to work hard.

4. Don't double Duncan.

The Mavs should put Dampier, Booth, or even Henderson on Duncan and make him earn his points. Don't double him, because that's what gets the Spurs offense going. Let Duncan try and hit a career high. He's not going to beat you by himself.

5. Get contributions from Terry and Stackhouse.

When Terry was playing well the other night against the Grizzlies, the Mavericks offense looked much more fluid and competent. The Mavs need a solid (and aggressive) effort out of Terry tonight to offset the play of Tony Parker, who dominated the Mavs point guards last week.

Stackhouse can dominate any perimeter defender the Spurs have except Bowen. As long as Bowen's not guarding him, Stackhouse should stick with the mid-range and slashing game that has been effective for him recently, and put pressure on the Spurs defense.

It's not an exhaustive list, but it's a good start.

Mavs win, 98-92.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 AM   #10
gogojojo73

gogojojo73 is on a distinguished road

Mavs Win.
100 - 92
gogojojo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 AM   #11
mikeinrowlett

mikeinrowlett is on a distinguished road

Spurs 85
Mavs 84

Third loss at home early in the year against an elite team from the Western Conference. Last year's Mavs performed very well against the top tier but struggled against the also rans. 2004-05 Mavs are reverting back to pre twan days and will beat up on the weak sisters of the league. Let's just hope they get it figured out before the playoffs arrive.
mikeinrowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:10 AM   #12
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Mavs by 12. After time off, they're reinvigorated and with AJ running the show (and playing a conventional lineup, meaning no Dirk at C), he gets every single fiber of energy from them. a complete all around performance. after this, the microscope on Nellie begins to intensify.

hey Mike, remember when I said in September that Auburn was good enough for a NC run? prophetic, huh?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:11 AM   #13
Intruder

Intruder is on a distinguished road

mavs win this one 94-86.

Spurs shot lights out against Utah on Saturday. That translates to a poor shooting performance tonight (low to mid 30's percentage wise). I really hope I'm wrong though !!!

gl 2nite.

Intruder
Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
4. Don't double Duncan.

The Mavs should put Dampier, Booth, or even Henderson on Duncan and make him earn his points. Don't double him, because that's what gets the Spurs offense going. Let Duncan try and hit a career high. He's not going to beat you by himself.
Good point. They're the best passing team I've seen this year so you pay dearly for the double team. Let Duncan get his hard earned 30 and contain his supporting cast.

I'm looking for Devin to be a key figure in this one. I haven't seen an opposing pg as unaffected by Devin as Tony Parker was last week. If Devin can frustrate Parker and keep him out of the lane, it would go a long way towards us picking up the win.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:29 AM   #15
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I do End...very good call.
2 more wins and we get the split NC...at least we should.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm looking for Devin to be a key figure in this one. I haven't seen an opposing pg as unaffected by Devin as Tony Parker was last week. If Devin can frustrate Parker and keep him out of the lane, it would go a long way towards us picking up the win.
From what I saw, the reason that Parker was able to do what he wanted against Devin (and Jason Terry) is that the Mavs never figured out how to effectively defend the Spurs pick-and-roll. Most of the night, the Mavs had Harris trying to fight over the top of the screen AND Dampier or another big man flashing really high. Personally, I think that Harris needs to go underneath the screen and have the big man flash high and then recover. That will prevent the big guy from breaking free toward the basket but will also force Parker to stick a few open jumpers (something I really didn't see him do last Wednesday).

I'd rather have Tony Parker beat me from 20 feet all night than have him driving and breaking down the defense.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #17
bischof

bischof is on a distinguished road

Mavs win 167 - 115
bischof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #18
TheBenger

TheBenger is on a distinguished road

Kg_veteran, that list was the biggest waste of time I have ever seen.
TheBenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #19
TheBenger

TheBenger is on a distinguished road

Kg_veteran, that list was the biggest waste of time I have ever seen.
TheBenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #20
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Add another W to the column, boys.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #21
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Dampier can't go any lower than 1 point and 4 rebounds.
The Mavs are more active on the boards, play great defense infront of a raucus home crowd.
Mavs win, by 8.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #22
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

The Psychology of tonight's game:

I think the Mavs know they are being publicly criticized for the decision to let AJ coach. I also think the players have a strong affinity for AJ and want to make a statement in tonight's game (i.e. make AJ look good in his regular season head coaching debut.) I think that, in and of itself, becomes motivation for the Mavs...the "x" variable that will lead to their success.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #23
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Lets see, we have Avery coaching, the mavs have won 2 in a row, have had 2 days rest, damp is now playing great, and we're playing at home. But is that enough to beat the spurs, i hope so, but i doubt it, this one goes to san antonio.

mavs 103
spurs 108
Old 11-30-2004, 12:49 PM   #24
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

mavs win

101-96

dampier has a big night with avery making sure he gets the ball down low against dallas-mavs.com's boy rasho
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:50 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

The sikeology for tonight's game:

uhh....go read kg's post and put my name on it.

I do want to see how AJ handles Duncan. As a former teammate he will probably have insight that Don "the wizard" does not. Remember how Nellie kept saying that Dampier could not play Duncan because Duncan destroys Bigs? I wonder if AJ has the same philosophy(I know I do not)? I would love to see Damp paly TD and force him to the elbow all night. The only problem I see is that TD, as a former MVP, get the benefit of so many calls and that he might have 3 fouls on Damp in 10 minutes of play.

When all is said and done:
Mavs 94
Spurs 86

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #26
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Mavs win:

Mavs: 96
Spurs: 87

I'm looking forward to seeing Damp get a lot more involved in this game, especially with AJ coaching.

...Nice post KG

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #27
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

mavs - 112
spurs - 99

Stack and Terry come through off the bench and Dirk goes for an okay night (35, 12, 5)
Old 11-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #28
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Mavs win 110-101

Sure Dampier will have a better game thanks to Avery. He will motivate the center and damp will play a good game.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:10 PM   #29
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Mavs get the split. Move to within a half game of the Spurs. Dallas 104 -Spurs 94.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:22 PM   #30
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
Lets see, we have Avery coaching, the mavs have won 2 in a row, have had 2 days rest, damp is now playing great, and we're playing at home. But is that enough to beat the spurs, i hope so, but i doubt it, this one goes to san antonio.

mavs 103
spurs 108

i guess i'm the only devils advocate
Old 11-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #31
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Avery rips off suit to expose jersey and comes in for last play to hit 20 footer for a Mavs win 103-101.

And there will be much rejoicing.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:58 PM   #32
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Avery rips off suit to expose jersey and comes in for last play to hit 20 footer for a Mavs win 103-101.

And there will be much rejoicing.
Classic.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #33
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

im not sure if we can pull it off without fin but... mavs 100-99
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #34
cheesestar
Golden Member

we cannot protect the ball at all
Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk vs the spurs?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see the Spurs give the ball to Dirk from time to time.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #37
cheesestar
Golden Member

dirk's 2-3 and the rest of the teams 2-7
Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #38
cheesestar
Golden Member

pretty sick

seems like we cannot under any circumstance make a shot
Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

The problem is the 5 TO's and poor shot attempts. It's not that the Mavs are missing good looks. It's that they're taking bad shots and turning the ball over.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #40
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

This doesn't look good. Does Duncan usually guard the point guard?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote