Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #241
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Mavericks vs. Spurs Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
ummm...'why is Dampier averaging half the rebounds?' duh. last year he played next to Cliff Robinson...the WORST rebounding forward in the NBA. this year he plays next to Dirk...one of the best rebounding forwards in the NBA. I think virtually everyone knew his rebounding numbers would drop...his defensive presence is what is important.
Which is why everyone should have expected his numbers to drop to about 8 points, 7 boards... which is about what he's averaging now... which is about his career averages... which is why you don't pay him 72 MILLION BUCKS!
okay so he's overpaid. So why are you WANTING HIM TO FAIL?
The fact that Dump is now a Maverick doesn't mean that I'm obliged to like the guy. I wish he would succeed, but I know he wont.

I really don't know what the solution is. The damage done by the trade is pretty much irreprable. We can't trade the guy. The picks are gone. The expiring contracts are gone. If Damp can't play, this trade truly was a disaster of epic proportions. All we can hope for now is 1) Dampier, after eight years in the league suddenly becomes a decent player or 2) He proves quickly to Cuban and Nelson that he's NOT a miserable piece of crap, and the team moves on. Thankfully, Cuban DID load up on young centers before he completeley lost his mind, we do still have the leagues best shotblocker, and we still have Booth, so there are some good alternatives to look for post-Dump.

I feel like the owner of a house that was hit by a tornado. I'm not going to pretend that my house isn't destroyed and continue to sleep on top of the pile of rubble that used to be my home. I'm either going to try to rebuild or move to another house. And all the time, I'm going to curse the tornado, and the man who brought it upon my once beautiful home.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #242
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavericks vs. Spurs Gameday Thread

Quote:
I'm either going to try to rebuild or move to another house. And all the time, I'm going to curse the tornado, and the man who brought it upon my once beautiful home.
Except that you never owned the Mavs "house", so you have no role in fixing it. I guess that leaves you with one option: moving to another house. Lakers need fans about now. You could move in with them if the Mavs house is broken as much as you are claiming.

All us fans live here and many of us are tired of you whining about how bad it is. We live here. We are sticking with it through thick and thin.

EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:24 PM   #243
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

My analogy may have been a little confusing:

Move to a new house = blow the team up, and start from scratch
Rebuild the house from the rubble = Bench dampier, give his time to the young guys and hope we develop. Otherwise keep the core intact.
Live in the rubble = Play Dampier 30-35 minutes a game for the next seven years and watch the Mavs clinch their perinneal 7th-10th place finish

And I don't think that with the manner that Antoine Walker was treated on this board last year, that you have any room to bitch about my negativity. This board has a history of vicous attacks on Maverick players. Go back and look at what people said about Raef. Look at what people are saying right now about Stackhouse. You allow people to rip on players that you don't find acceptable, but you choose to feign indignation when posters rip on someone to whom you've openly declared your admiration. I wish your zeal was universal. That would prove to me that you really are a true Maverick fan. Next time Aexchange or someone rips on Stackhouse, I'll be looking for you to proclaiming how "tired" you are of his whining. Yeah I'll be expecting that to happen at about the same time Dampier starts averaging his double double.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:38 PM   #244
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, Madape. So we paid a guy 73 million and we shouldn't even play him? Is that what you are saying?

And I'm a good fan if I openly berate a player that I like? The enthusiasm you show has been respectable, but your knee-jerking has been over the top. You refuse to accept that Damp is what he is- an overpaid guy that makes the team a little bit better. Your signature that depicts Dampier as a stinking pile of poop goes way beyond anything that AEX has ever done.

You seem to confuse my point here. We should be supporting our team, we should be supporting and at the same time critiquing the play of our players, but we should not be hoping for a player to completely fail to an extent that the majority of your posts for 2 months have either been Bradley and LaFrentz butt-licking posts or posts about how terrible Dampier is and how we shouldnt even give him a chance.

That is the real point. No matter what any poster has said about any player, you are the only one that is spending the majority of his or her time attacking those that give Dampier any credit. You only appear when Dampier has a poor rebounding night, and tell us all "I told you so" in your over-the-top ways. If AEX did that, instead of posting in only 2-3 non-gameday threads then I would disagree with him too. The fact is, that no one has done so much to attack and totally berate a Mavs player in the entire time that I've been here.

At least I'm realistic and patient. You and Captain Disaster would get along quite well. Neither of you think that any move can be any good and that the past was always better than anything we can do in the future. Your doomsday posts are very similar.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #245
madape
Diamond Member

I don't think that's fair. I think my Dampier criticisms have been pretty consistent. After bad days I rip him, after good days I remind people how terrible he is. If you look into it, I think you'll find that I was pretty vocal about him even during his two game streak of above average play.

For those people who have been on this board for a while know, I'm usually not very negative about this team. I can think of only two players in the history of this team that I have truly despised. One is Danny Fortson. The other is Erick Dampier. I've stood up for guys like Antoine Walker when everyone and their dog was kicking him. I loved Raef LaFrentz, who, like Dampier was brought in to take my favorite player's starting position. I liked Evan Eschmeyer. I like Jerry Stackhouse. I even praised Antoine Rigadeau up to the day he was let go. But I can't support this trade. I can't put on a good face and say it was a great offseason for the Mavericks. It's because I honestly think this guy is a bum. He's a stinking rotten turd, just like my signature shows him to be. That's what he is, and that's how I'm going to refer to him as long as he's here... or until I get tired of it.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #246
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

It was a little unfair.

And I'm glad we agree on Fortson. If there was any Mavs player that I would photoshop into a turd, it would have been Fortson. I would admit that he had a good night when he did, but he was a turd with a bad attitude.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #247
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And I'm glad we agree on Fortson. If there was any Mavs player that I would photoshop into a turd, it would have been Fortson. I would admit that he had a good night when he did, but he was a turd with a bad attitude.
Easily done...

Ranks #6 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(51.0)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.4)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Free Throws Per 48 Minutes(12.31)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts Per 48 Minutes(13.92)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(9.1)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(18.0)
Ranks #9 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(32.12)

Old 12-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #248
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

wow, he's drowning.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #249
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

madape is not generally a negative poster. Opinionated -- yes. Negative -- no.

And it certainly would be a lot less lively around here if he changed his ways now.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #250
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I'm not really claiming that he's negative in general. I usually enjoy his posts very much. It's just the constant argument against anyone who wants to give Damp a chance, and his refusal to look at all the facts on him that irks me.

You have to admit that Ape is negative on Damp. There is no denying that.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #251
madape
Diamond Member

That's a nice Fortson dump picture evilmav.

By the way, to give credit where credit is due. The picture of Dampier smelling his own stink is an EvilMav piece. Unlike me, EvilMav is pro-Dampier. I think he was inspired by the Dampier Dump talk on this board and the Dampier armpit sniffing talk on the Spurs board.

Nice work!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:05 PM   #252
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

>There is no freedom of speech when it comes to staying in someone elses store.

There should be freedom of speech regardless of where it's at.. People have served and died for our country and our freedoms, we should not throw them away, lightly. Sure you can have someone removed but not for something so harmless as what this fan said. IF someone threatens your llife, yes of course. But this fan wasn't anywhere in that avenue. Finley is a hothead and took it the wrong way. In fact a lot of the players in the league are hot heads and would be in jail if they weren't playing bball. You should go to the garden and see how often people yell about other players mothers. While it may not be "appropriate", they've been doing it for years. I think people should be able to say what they want as long as they don't threaten to harm the player. Stern should admit that it's an adults game and not for kids. Otherwise get rid of the thugs on the court as well. They swear all the time. Many times it's audible on llive tv. If it's going to be for kids then clean it up on all aspects.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:36 PM   #253
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Goodness, Madape. So we paid a guy 73 million and we shouldn't even play him? Is that what you are saying?

And I'm a good fan if I openly berate a player that I like? The enthusiasm you show has been respectable, but your knee-jerking has been over the top. You refuse to accept that Damp is what he is- an overpaid guy that makes the team a little bit better. Your signature that depicts Dampier as a stinking pile of poop goes way beyond anything that AEX has ever done.

You seem to confuse my point here. We should be supporting our team, we should be supporting and at the same time critiquing the play of our players, but we should not be hoping for a player to completely fail to an extent that the majority of your posts for 2 months have either been Bradley and LaFrentz butt-licking posts or posts about how terrible Dampier is and how we shouldnt even give him a chance.

That is the real point. No matter what any poster has said about any player, you are the only one that is spending the majority of his or her time attacking those that give Dampier any credit. You only appear when Dampier has a poor rebounding night, and tell us all "I told you so" in your over-the-top ways. If AEX did that, instead of posting in only 2-3 non-gameday threads then I would disagree with him too. The fact is, that no one has done so much to attack and totally berate a Mavs player in the entire time that I've been here.

At least I'm realistic and patient. You and Captain Disaster would get along quite well. Neither of you think that any move can be any good and that the past was always better than anything we can do in the future. Your doomsday posts are very similar.

Sure there are good moves, but I can't stomach replacing Nash with Terry. Terry can't even fill Nash's jock strap. I would sincerely LOVE IT if Terry suddenly proved me wrong by elevating his play; I haven't seen it yet. This is why we need Kidd. We need a point guard. I don't believe losing Nash was about money. So what if Cuban would've overpaid him? You can't tell me that we wouldn't of been able to trade him later; we would have gotten SOMETHING for him, which is way better than what we got back: NOTHING! If Kidd costs $90 million, so what? A healthy Kidd will take this team to the WCF, possibly all the way; AND we would be able to trade him if necessary down the road.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #254
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

This is not the right time to discuss Nash. Did you all watch what Dirk did? We all have to feel lucky to have witnessed history. Talk Dirk.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:18 AM   #255
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Dirk 53points, 16rebounds, 4blocks, 3steals, 2assists and one TO.

Dirk has increased his shooting from the field and from three, as well as his rebounding and steals

all that without Nash.

edit: and his PPG

without Nash
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(33.0)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Free Throws(121.0)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds(142.0)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(9.5)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Double-doubles(11.0)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Points Per Game(25.5)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(28.33)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(425.0)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(36.62)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Free Throws Per 48 Minutes(10.43)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Points(383.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts(143.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(167.0)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts Per 48 Minutes(12.32)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(10.6)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(263.0)
Ranks #10 in the NBA in Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage(0.457)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes(22.66)
Ranks #12 in the NBA in Total Turnovers(44.0)

Old 12-03-2004, 01:06 AM   #256
toucandave

toucandave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...my favorite player's starting position

I've wondered this for awhile.....why would anyone's favorite player (in the league or on the mavs?) be Shawn Bradley?
toucandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:38 AM   #257
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Rilo Kiley's cool!