Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Could Nash Be Next To Depart Suns?

Dec 14, 2008 11:38 AM EST

Quote:
There is some speculation that Steve Nash could be the next member of the Suns to be sent packing.

Raja Bell and Boris Diaw, who were sent to the Bobcats this week, joined Shawn Marion and coach Mike D'Antoni as the most recent mainstays to leave.

"I was pretty flat emotionally," Nash said after the trade.

Bell and Nash, who are close friends, had been publicly petitioning coach Terry Porter to speed up his offense.

"I don't know," Nash, who will become a free agent in 2010, said of his future. Like I said before about the 2010 speculation, it's so far away."
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...o_depart_suns/
Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard about a rumor (probably fake and not reliable at all), even before this news , that he might be sent to Toronto in exchange for Calderon and Kapono.

Last edited by Windmill360; 12-14-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

nash's numbers have gone down like crazy since the last few years
his time is done
Old 12-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he's gone this year, but I think they'll end up trading him next year before (*cough*) letting him walk for nothing.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360° View Post
I heard about a rumor (probably fake and not reliable at all), even before this news , that he might be sent to Toronto in exchange for Calderon and Kapono.
Canada would go INSANE!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

I don't think Canada would go insane. That little hispanic calderon is puttin it down for Toronto. You seen him play? He has a future for his career I doubt they would do it.
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareMilk View Post
I don't think Canada would go insane. That little hispanic calderon is puttin it down for Toronto. You seen him play? He has a future for his career I doubt they would do it.
I'm pretty sure he is Spanish and not Hispanic.

Also, the term people down south prefer is "Mexican."

Canada wouldn't go insane if Mr. Nash himself came to Toronto??

He's basically the prime minister.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Calderon > Nash. He's the best PG in the east not named Devin Harris. You could make a case for Rose and Rondo too but i'll take a PG who handles the ball with care.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
Calderon > Nash. He's the best PG in the east not named Devin Harris.
Calderon is better than Harris...at least in terms of pure PG ability.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

He's not that great on defense.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If the Suns are smart, they will follow the Dallas model and not lose Nash for nothing.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know...this contingent might go crazy.
http://whitebasketball.blogspot.com/...teve-nash.html

Quote:
White of the Night: Steve Nash
None of our guys stood out head and shoulders tonight, so Steve Nash gets the White of the Night award for the highest P-R-A total, leading the Suns to a 1 point victory over the Magic.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Quote:
He's not that great on defense.
Neither is Nash...what's your point?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
Tokey41
Platinum Member

We were talking about the best PG in the east (Harris vs Calderon). Even the most bitter fan realizes Devin is adequate on defense and overall a more well-rounded player. I'd take him over Calderon, but it really depends on the type of team you have... and if your factoring in potential then Rose has to be mentioned in the discussion.

Forget about Nash being dealt for Calderon. Toronto isn't trading a young talented PG for one that's past his prime. Just because we would do something like that doesn't mean other teams would.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #15
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
We were talking about the best PG in the east (Harris vs Calderon). Even the most bitter fan realizes Devin is adequate on defense and overall a more well-rounded player. I'd take him over Calderon, but it really depends on the type of team you have... and if your factoring in potential then Rose has to be mentioned in the discussion.

Forget about Nash being dealt for Calderon. Toronto isn't trading a young talented PG for one that's past his prime. Just because we would do something like that doesn't mean other teams would.
Well...they are Canadians...

Old 12-15-2008, 01:27 AM   #16
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Are you kidding? Calderon >>> Harris.

But, Nash going back to Canada? He'll be elected prime minister the day he retires from the NBA.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #17
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
This sounds so familiar. It's like I've seen this before, not too long ago. I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Wait... argh dammit! It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh well.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #18
Burn this City

Quote:
Ok, you can argue he's a more well-rounded player, but I'm not sure that translates into being the best PG in the East. My point was Steve Nash has never been considered a good defender and by your definition, a fairly one-sided player. But there's no doubt that he had a solid 2-3 year stretch as being labeled the best PG in the league.

Harris is a better scorer than Calderon, but Calderon is more of a conventional PG - seems to be better at setting up the offense, creating open shots for teammates, and limiting turnovers. Like you said, a few seasons from now this won't really be much of an argument since Derrick Rose is on track to be better than both.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Are you kidding? Calderon >>> Harris.

But, Nash going back to Canada? He'll be elected prime minister the day he retires from the NBA.
Haha Denial alert.

No way Calderon is better than Harris. Not even really close either.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Default Nash: 'I Feel Like I've Been Traded'

Dec 15, 2008 2:36 AM EST

Quote:
Steve Nash never got over that the Dallas Mavericks immediately broke up his 2003 Western Conference finals team by trading Raef LaFrentz and Nick Van Exel, two of that team's top five scorers.

Nash practiced Sunday with a Suns team that has two other carryovers from two years ago. It was a day after many Suns attended the opening of Raja Bell's Scottsdale Moody Blues store as Bell played in Charlotte. It was the day Mike D'Antoni was in town coaching a New York Knicks team in preparation for his return to US Airways Center Monday night.

"I feel like I've been traded," Nash said, chuckling. "I feel like I'm on a different team because everything's changed so much around here. We have a lot of differences now after quite a bit of stability but change can really be positive. Amidst that recent chaos could come strong order. We're all optimistic but it's a strange point with Mike coming and all the changes."

The Suns worked on reintegrating offense of the four years with D'Antoni. Uptown at Phoenix Brophy Prep, the improving Knicks were learning his ways.

"I knew they were going to do great just because they'd be happy playing for him, enjoy going to work every day," Nash said. "Just his attitude was worth a bunch of wins."

The debate over D'Antoni's departure wafts. He spoke out last week about how he felt undermined by Suns executives and defended his decisions.

Asked when the hard feelings would go away, D'Antoni said, "When you die," with a laugh Sunday.

"Nah, you go on with life," he said. "In sports, it's just played out on the sports page. People go through this every day with their jobs and different things. I'm going forward and I'm happy."

In regard to his recent criticism, D'Antoni said he should have stayed quiet.

"I didn't say I lied," he added. "I just messed up."

Each side bites a tongue on the split, stewing about more than what is said. Coaches and general managers entering under different regimes seldom last. D'Antoni can be admittedly stubborn and sensitive. Suns GM Steve Kerr was admittedly green in leadership and naive to how a young GM would fly with a coach who had been his own boss.

"As I conveyed during Mike's time here, I valued him as a coach and I thought he did a great job," Kerr said. "My sole intent coming in as GM was to take my experience as a player and, having been a part of championship teams, provide that insight to help the Suns get over the hump. We wish Mike well with the Knicks. Our focus is in our organization maintaining success and building a championship-caliber team."

D'Antoni said "everybody has to be on the same page all the time." He felt he did not have full support. He knew players would not all back him after a first-round exit.

He said, "The next day, if someone puts a question to you, (you say), 'Oh, yeah, we gotta defend better. We gotta do this. That guy shouldn't have been late.' After a month, you think, 'You know what? It was pretty good. We just needed to get better internally on what we do.' "

Half of the playoff rotation is gone. A new starting lineup with Jason Richardson is about to debut.

"There is tons of turnover on every team, every year," Nash said. "We are no different than that but our core was always together. Now that we've traded, in the last 10 months, three of our top seven players, it's a change."

Nash, Leandro Barbosa and Amaré Stoudemire are the only Suns who played more than one year for D'Antoni.

"I thought he was going to come back," Barbosa said. "For some reason, he was different (in the playoffs). The bad thing is we did a bad job in the playoffs and we lost."

As much as Suns coach Terry Porter has loosened reins, he faces the one team that wants to run more. Shaquille O'Neal may not last long Monday night.

"Mike, he'll let Shaq score," Porter said. "He won't foul him. He'll let him lay it in so he can get it out of the net and go the other way."