Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future
Default Kurt Warner Does Ad Appearance in Support of Anti-Abortion

Warner: Faith, anti-abortion commitment led to his ad appearance

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
October 26, 2006

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner says his deep Christian faith led to his decision to appear in a television ad opposing a proposed constitutional amendment in Missouri.

Warner, who led the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowls and remains a highly popular figure there, joined St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Jeff Suppan, among others, in the television spot against Missouri's Amendment 2.

The amendment would change the Missouri constitution to guarantee the use of any federally allowed stem cell research and treatments, including work on human embryos. The possible use of embryonic stem cells and concerns about potential human cloning led to Warner's decision, he said.

He equates the use of an embryonic stem cell for research to taking a human life.

"I am all for finding a cure for any and every disease known to man," Warner said in an interview with The Associated Press after the Cardinals practiced Thursday, "but there are certain issues that outweigh just finding a cure and doing research, and life is one of those.

"I think life is too sacred to ever take it in any circumstances, even for the cure of a disease or something like that."

The amendment is at the center of the critical race for the U.S. Senate in Missouri. Democrat Claire McCaskill supports the amendment and Republican incumbent Jim Talent opposes it.

Actor Michael J. Fox, who has Parkinson's disease, has appeared in an advertisement in support McCaskill, citing the need for stem cell research as he plainly exhibits the effects of the disease.

Warner said he has not seen the Fox ad, and said he supports adult stem cell research. But he said that even in cases where embryos are not going to be allowed to develop, they should not be used for research.

"To pass an amendment that allows for the opportunity to abort and to kill a life to me makes no sense," he said. "It contradicts everything I believe, everything that I stand for and I think everything that Missouri stands for."

Warner said he believed the ads promoting the amendment are deceptive because they fail to distinguish between adult stem cell research and that involving human embryos.

"This amendment also takes into considering embryonic stem cell research, which then becomes a pro-life issue," he said. "It becomes aborting after conception, aborting fetuses, using for research purposes. It also has do to with the fertilization of eggs for the sole purpose of killing them and doing research."

Warner said he was contacted by anti-amendment people to do the ad.

"I still feel a heavy responsibility for the people of Missouri because of the respect they have for me but also the things they've done for me," he said, "and I don't want them to make an uninformed decision on something that can change their constitution in the long term and can have lasting effects not only in the state but I think also nationally."

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Good to hear one of the good guys standing up for what they believe in.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's about time someone stepped up and spoke out about abortion clinics and the dumb sluts that go there to murder the future leaders of our world.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Good to hear one of the good guys standing up for what they believe in.
I couldn't agree more and Warner is one of my all time favorites.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Yep, it's about time someone stepped up and spoke out about abortion clinics and the dumb sluts that go there to murder the future leaders of our world.
um....i don't want to get into an argument about being for/against abortion...but how many of these kids do you really think are going to amount to much if their moms are visiting abortion clinics?
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
um....i don't want to get into an argument about being for/against abortion...but how many of these kids do you really think are going to amount to much if their moms are visiting abortion clinics?
Those aren't the only cases, but who's to say they won't amount to something?

Other cases include like if it looks like the baby could be born with problems sometimes the couple won't want to have to deal with it, so they get an abortion instead. This actually was the case with my little brother. It looked like he was going to be born with brain and heart trouble, so the doctors advised my parents to get an abortion. They didn't because they knew God had blessed them with him for a reason, and it turned out he was born completley fine

Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
I know how many will not because of their mothers selfish ignorance.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Those aren't the only cases, but who's to say they won't amount to something?

Other cases include like if it looks like the baby could be born with problems sometimes the couple won't want to have to deal with it, so they get an abortion instead. This actually was the case with my little brother. It looked like he was going to be born with brain and heart trouble, so the doctors advised my parents to get an abortion. They didn't because they knew God had blessed them with him for a reason, and it turned out he was born completley fine
A perfect example.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you are proposing that we go into a poor inner-city area and just slaughter all the kids because hey, if they come from a rough background, they probably won't amount to much. Right? I'm sorry but no one deserves to lose their right to live because of what "might" happen.

Props to Kurt Warner btw.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I heard mkat say once that poor inner-city area kidsd are overrated.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:36 AM   #11
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I for one am pro-choice regarding abortion, but I definitely respect Warner for showing some backbone and taking a firm stand on an issue he feels strongly about. Kudos to him!
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

He has as much credibility on the issue as Susan Sarandon has on anti-war.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

When I was a younger man, I was pro-choice. No questions asked.

As I got older, I began to question this stance.

I am now pro-life except in cases of rape, imcest, or danger to the life of the mother. I know two girls last year among my group of friends who had two abortions each last year alone because they did not use birth control. Hence--they use abortion as their birth control.

We need to encourage adoptions more and help the girls who get pregnant.

But this is madness--sheer utter madness.

Mark me down as a pro-life Democrat.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #14
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
So you are proposing that we go into a poor inner-city area and just slaughter all the kids because hey, if they come from a rough background, they probably won't amount to much. Right? I'm sorry but no one deserves to lose their right to live because of what "might" happen.
yes. i'm also pro-cancer, pro-AIDS, and pro-free love.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #15
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
He has as much credibility on the issue as Susan Sarandon has on anti-war.
Maybe so, but I think it's great anyway. Poor guys has to do something while he's watching the kid of so cal do his job better than he was.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #16
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
When I was a younger man, I was pro-choice. No questions asked.

As I got older, I began to question this stance.

I am now pro-life except in cases of rape, imcest, or danger to the life of the mother. I know two girls last year among my group of friends who had two abortions each last year alone because they did not use birth control. Hence--they use abortion as their birth control.

We need to encourage adoptions more and help the girls who get pregnant.

But this is madness--sheer utter madness.

Mark me down as a pro-life Democrat.
and a lonely spurs fan!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote