Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is a lot to digest...

there is NOOOOOOOO way this is happening, too many pieces involved. But just for grins, look at this.

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress...n_the_mix.html
Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

i agree with you there is way too much goin on for that to happen
chosen_one8976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

If you could talk to MIN about the #3, and they don't ask for Dirk and/or Kidd, you're obviously not wanting to hang up the phone.

Still not too high on the Barbosa/Diaw combo.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

i would be pretty close to pullin the deal, we could get oj or anybody really at the third pick, use diaw at the small forward and barbosa as a back up pg...we would be pretty deep at that point or use a couple pieces for another trade...it would be a tough call
Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

The thing with Diaw though is you really don't know what to do with him because he has some confidence issues. He can guard any position really, but shooting is an issue and he isn't a good decision maker.

Barbosa, you don't know what he is. Is he a quick point guard still learning to make plays, or is he a small 2 still working on his shooting?

I mean either way, you're getting the 3rd pick and you can get ANY hole you need filled with that pick (Mayo, Bayless, Love, etc). That almost has to make up for any doubts you have with the other two players.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
chosen_one8976

remember when diaw went off on us in the playoffs a couple years ago, if he somehow got back into that shape and got his confidence up...i think it would be worth it to give up jho and a first for the 3rd pick along with two decent players even though they dont have positions. we would have alot of athletes
Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
chosen_one8976

with barbosa we would essentiallly be gettin devin back, maybe not as good defense, but def a better shooter...he never had great assist numbers, but that wasnt his role in phoenix, that was nash...you know what, i would pull the trigger on this deal if i were cuban or nellie jr.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

I think I honestly would too, I would be sold after you said Josh for the #3 and...

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-20-2008 at 10:25 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

ITs pretty easy really. Why would you not do it? Barbosa is one of the quickest if not THE quickest guy in the league, he can play some sg minutes too. Diaw is decent and then really good at times AND THEN with the 3rd overall thrown in that makes this a no brainer... for me! Bring Mayo or another solid SG with that pick. Not hot at all for Kevin Love/.

Last edited by bgarrett; 06-20-2008 at 11:05 AM.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

this is like one of those MARVEL UNIVERSE stories that crosses over into every title for the entire summer, leading up to... a boring finish.

and it makes about as much sense.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Josh for a #3 totally makes sense, but neither Diaw nor Barbosa excel at any positions of need (especially if the #3 pick yields a shooting guard...)

Diaw: not playing center on this team, not enough playing time behind Dirk (especially with Bass searching for more minutes)... The best option would be to start him at the 3, which could give us lock-down defense, but we'd pretty much be playing 3-on-5 offense with him & Damp out there at the same time... I'd prefer to use him as our backup 3/4 if Bass gets moved...

Barbosa: Devin-lite... The problem with him is that we already have Jason Terry playing the 1/2, but if Terry gets shipped, then Barbosa makes all kinds of sense as our starting SG/backup point (or backup 1/2 if we draft someone better...)

Also, who do we go after in the draft??? If we're shipping Josh, then we need to make sure we get someone who would be "score-first" and in serious contention for Rookie of the Year (if we're still chasing a ring)... Mayo & Bayless would be at the top of the list & both could fill a HUGE gap in this team as our starting shooting guard...

So, to keep rolling with this impossible scenario (since I'm bored at work), let's say we trade Terry & Bass for Maggette (since Terry/Barbosa & Bass/Diaw are a logjam) and pick up Diop, here's our roster (without concern for the bench):

Damp/Diop
Dirk/Diaw
Maggette/Diaw
Mayo/Barbosa
Kidd/Barbosa

8-deep for a playoff run (slashers, shooters, distributors, defenders) - doesn't look too shabby...

[Josh Howard is nodding his head in agreement, but he can't verbalize himself because we're choking on too much smoke & laughter!]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-20-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a no-brainer from the Mavs perspective.

Diaw is at his best scoring from the paint, inside. He is your starting SF, who can defend the SF, and yet play offensively inside since that isn't Dirks forte. Look what he did when Amare was out.

Barbosa is your 6th man in a fast paced team, and is a tweener guard who can play PG/SG.

Draft Mayo as your future, and now for that matter SG.

Resign Diop and Wright, and see if you can move Terry/Stack/Damp for athletic Bigs. (can you imagine if they would take any combination Damp/Terry/Stack in trade for JO or Camby or Brand or Kaman)

Run, Run, but still defend, and have a guy in Diaw that works well inside the paint.

Kidd, Barbosa (can play SG)
Mayo, Wright (can play SF)
Diaw, Bass (can play PF)
Dirk,
(one from the list), Diop

This would be your nine playoff members. After that, gets some specialty players like Pops, maybe Allen back, a pure shooter or two.

Run, Defend and still be able to play in the half-court both inside and out.

With that said, I see no WAY this happens.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

where do I sign?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I think I like Dalm's scenario better than mine...

Maggette would kinda negate the Diaw trade and I didn't even think about moving our #2 scorer from the 3-slot to the 5... An impossible trade like this would not only cover most of our needs (and loses), but would allow us to trade for a big man as well (give me Elton Brand, since we're achieving the impossible here...)

Wow, I'm bored...

Last edited by Underdog; 06-20-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Underdog

Screw it, now I want Chris Kaman for Terry/Damp/Stack too (since this thread is a waste of time anyway...)

Kaman/Diop
Dirk/Allen
Diaw/Bass
Mayo/Wright
Kidd/Barbosa

We'd have 1/4 the amount of titles that Boston has by the time Dirk retires...

Old 06-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I really do like Dalmations202's scenario. I would very much like to watch this team. I must add that the Mavs would need to that group a solid low post defender. If the Mavs were somehow to acquire both Camby and Diop, wow, watch out...

Darius Miles? Is he even still in the league?

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 06-20-2008 at 12:38 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

I don't think Darius is in the league, at least not this year.
I think it's all speculation to fill up a blog page, but I would pray that this has legs.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Pistons got the make some move this summer!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

This is a ridiculous trade. I LOVE IT!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

*drool*... I would jump on that deal like a falsely convicted inmate released after 50 years of imprisonment would jump on his first hetero lay.

Then trade Terry and whoever else on the bench for a big.... and use half the MLE on Diop and half on CJ Miles. .. Do it.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote