Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default I see your Kobe commercial, and raise you...

the new Jordan commercial. good lord, that commercial was sweet.

Man, so many things in there… the reaction to the ehlo shot, the shot against the jazz (they even recreated the hand-check push-off no-foul call on the guy who was supposed to be jordan), the switch hands move against the lakers, the shrug against the blazers (I think it was against the blazers), the dunk against the Celtics, the dunk in the dunk contest… so cool. I wonder how long it took to get each one of those right. Well, they were still a little off on the dunk against the Celtics. He didn’t dunk it on the other side.

after watching it a few times, I think it would have been a nice touch to have some more kids of other nationalities in there. Would have made more of an impact, showing that jordan’s accomplishments reach far beyond that of just the African-american youth.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04&q=like+mike

Retro... from the only guy I know who pimps hotdogs AND underwear.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That is one of the best sports related commercials ever. Nice link cap.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Man, so many things in there… the reaction to the ehlo shot, the shot against the jazz (they even recreated the hand-check push-off no-foul call on the guy who was supposed to be jordan), the switch hands move against the lakers, the shrug against the blazers (I think it was against the blazers), the dunk against the Celtics, the dunk in the dunk contest… so cool. I wonder how long it took to get each one of those right. Well, they were still a little off on the dunk against the Celtics. He didn’t dunk it on the other side.
I was going to start a thread on this…best commercial I've seen in years. The scenes are so perfectly choreographed that it's eerie...especially the push off/game winning shot against Utah. Glad to see that someone else watched it about five times straight.

Quote:
after watching it a few times, I think it would have been a nice touch to have some more kids of other nationalities in there. Would have made more of an impact, showing that jordan’s accomplishments reach far beyond that of just the African-american youth.
I think they did. The scene with Jordan in a defensive stand grabbing his shorts looked like it was being played in Africa. The next scene, the one with "Jordan" leaning on the defender while palming the ball with his off hand, was in China and the scene of Jordan shooting his patented fade away was reenacted by girls. I think they touched all the bases with this one.

This was Nike at its best.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have a link to the new commercial?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i meant there was an absence of white kids.

that's why I said "some more kids", because i recognized the asian kid and the game that appeared to be in africa.

maybe the kid jumping up, re-enacting the reaction to the shot over ehlo is white. not trying to make this a race issue, i just thought there was a nationality missing.

i mean, a white kid can impersonate bryon russell, but not jordan?

doc, the only link i have is from the sports guy's links of the day. it's not a direct link.

http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/home/index.jsp

(click on the icon between the shoes, then the upper-left-square, then "watch").

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-16-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

thanks for the other link, capcity. that would have been cool if this was a gatorade ad. a "be like mike" for the next generation. but i doubt gatorade could make a commercial like this.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't even rape anyone in the commercial? What's up with that? I thought Nike had changed advertising campaigns and were looking to lean more towards the rape angle?

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-16-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

well, there was some inappropriate touching in the gatorade "be like mike" ad. i don't want some 6'6 guy touching my kid's ass.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, I think the the jumping fist pump after closing out the Cleveland series is as close as you're going to get to a token white guy.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, he looked a little more pacific-islander to me.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
yeah, he looked a little more pacific-islander to me.
hahaha...I think you're right but like I said, that's probably as close as you're going to get.

Actually a couple of the younger kids that they used look like what a young Jordan may have looked like.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

That commercial was something else, loved it. While we're on this topic of sports commercials, does anyone know where I can find the ESPN Commercial Blanket without havingi to pay ad critic for it?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, dirno, like the shot of the kid bending over, smacking his gum. great shot.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Anyone else notice that the Chinese kid was palming the freakin' ball with those tiny 10 year-old hands? Fingers of steel or what??
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ha ha, no kidding, orange. i was mesmerized by that each of the 30 times or so that I watched this.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
the dunk against the Celtics ... Well, they were still a little off on the dunk against the Celtics. He didn’t dunk it on the other side.
correcting myself. it wasn't the celtics. i was thinking of a windmill against another team. but i think they were actually doing another one of his dunks from the dunk contest (the dunk in the commercial before the free-throw line dunk). It's 2:03 into this link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...michael+jordan

would have loved to have seen a remake of his spin move baseline against the knicks, for his dunk on ewing... or closing his eyes taking a free throw.

and looking it over again, they even have the headband on the kid who's supposed to be cliff robinson in the shoulder shrug recreation. attention to detail!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It's been on my screensaver since last weekend. It's the best commercial that has hit tv since the 23 vs 39 one by gatorade.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:54 AM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

While we're on the subject of all time great commercials, is anybody old enough to remember the Reebok street legends series...best basketball spots ever...hands down.

Who could forget the greatness of Lamar Mundane: "When he pulls up from 18 feet, everybody on the side be hollerin', Layup!"

Seriously, I'd pay to see those commercials now.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately, i never got to see it.. if you can find links to it, please share =]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Interesting article on the new Jordan Commerical

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab1pos2