Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: Who do you root for?
Nadal 4 30.77%
Federer 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough
Default Nadal or Federer?

Who do you prefer to win between these two? It is obvious at this point who is better so I'm just interested who you are rooting for.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Im glad you added that part about it being clear who was better. Federer is the most dominant athlete in the world. He has won 9 of the last 14 majors. Just think about that for a minute. I love watching greatness so I voted for him.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Federer even though I don't follow tennis.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I enjoy watching grinders. Not that Federer doesn't works hard but Nadal has to work extra hard to win his matches. He plays with such fire and grit. Federer is greatness though as you said but Nadal I think is more interesting to watch and plays inspired tennis.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 09-21-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing about nadal is that he brought back the great shotmaking that everyone said the newer rackets had killed. With all the talk about woods and his dominance(he is) He isnt in federers league as far as dominance goes. In grand slams, if Fed wins the Australian open, he will have won twice as many grandslams as the rest of the world over the last 15 grand slams. That is insane to even think about.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Federer
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

federer, the tiger woods of tennis.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
federer, the tiger woods of tennis.
But more dominant.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Sampras.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Sampras.
Your a little behind the times... Feds better than pete was anyway.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Who cares. Tennis has sucked since Sampras/Agassi was at its peak.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal!

I hate Federer... Mainly because I would have washed Agassi's feet I loved the guy so much and he CONSISTENTLY beat him... I wish he would tear something! ACL, MCL, hell, even an ass muscle, (would that be an ABL? )...

I just don't get excited for tournaments anymore because they are pointless... Sure, I guess who he plays is up for grabs but you just KNOW he is gonna win every single time.

He is going to be BY FAR the greatest tennis player in the history of this sport when it is all said and done. Hell, even Agassi, when asked who was the best player he had ever played, said Federer... Who is currently considered the greatest of all time? Probably Samprass and Agassi played him MANY times. So for Agassi to make that statement NOW is very telling!

Plus I HATE his game. He is so friggin good at defense... He will just slice the HELL out of the ball no matter how good you hit it and wait for you to make a mistake OR wait until you hit it where he can really get behind it. He is the equivalent of Steffi Graf...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Who cares. Tennis has sucked since Sampras/Agassi was at its peak.
I strongly considered negative rep... Strongly!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

hahaha.....it is true though.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well it has never been as entertaining as then, but I wouldn't say it has been completely down since then. Hell this past US Open I just could not turn the TV off... Well, until Agassi got eliminated anyway!

Plus I love watching Blake...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Male, you call yourself a male --- and you watch tennis ? ? ? ? ? I thought only women played tennis, and no one watched it, except to watch the the girls in the short shorts or cute mini-skirts.

dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Well it has never been as entertaining as then, but I wouldn't say it has been completely down since then. Hell this past US Open I just could not turn the TV off... Well, until Agassi got eliminated anyway!

Plus I love watching Blake...
Marcos Bagdatis(sp?). I love fed but That dude is awesome to watch. Blake is cool too though.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Your a little behind the times... Feds better than pete was anyway.
Borg then.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Male, you call yourself a male --- and you watch tennis ? ? ? ? ? I thought only women played tennis, and no one watched it, except to watch the the girls in the short shorts or cute mini-skirts.

Hahaha... Why do you think I joined the tenis team back in the 9th grade??? Eventually you just learned to like the damn sport!

In all seriousness... I have been playing tennis since I was a boy. It is my absolute favorite sport to play and pretty high on my favorite sports to watch list.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #20
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Hahaha... Why do you think I joined the tenis team back in the 9th grade??? Eventually you just learned to like the damn sport!

In all seriousness... I have been playing tennis since I was a boy. It is my absolute favorite sport to play and pretty high on my favorite sports to watch list.
I have never been a tennis player. I have only remotely played tennis once and it was a fairly hilarious experience(i used to be a pretty darn good baseball player and my swing sort of mirrored my baseball swing. I hit a "homerun" on accident and then i started doing it on purpose every now and then. According to my friends who are actually pretty decent i have a good natural overhand though.

I was always a football/baseball player. I was around enough football players who said that baseball was a really easy sport to play and that it was for non athletes and enough baseball players who said football was easy and for idiots. I will never say that any other sport is easy just because i laughed at those guys for being idiots. Hitting a round ball with a round bat square is the hardest thing to do in any sport and trust me you cant be stupid and play certain positions in football.

Anyway, back to the tennis part, i was never really a tennis fan until about 2 years ago. Alot of my friends play and a few of them asked me to come watch a few of the high school tennis matches. Corsicana is a HUGE football town and they asked me to come to tennis since they came to football games. Seemed reasonable to me. Well it was pretty good and aside from highland park, corsicana has the best tennis team in our region. I had already watched federer a few times because the whispers about him being the GOAT were already floating around and I love watching greatness. I then made it a point to watch all of the grandslam quarters and beyond as long as he was in. In a few matches i saw Marcos Baghdatis(sp?) and he is just so awesome to watch. I love his attitude. It was him not agassi that made that match awesome. I know agassi being agassi is what made it so memorable and made everyone watch but I just love Marcos. Tennis is extremely entertaining. Now would i watch it instead of a mavs game? No. But it is very entertaining.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Well....tennis is ok I suppose, but to me it hasn't been interesting since the days of Agassi/Sampras/Chang and even then it wasn't as much fun as watching McEnroe/Connors/Borg.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Well....tennis is ok I suppose, but to me it hasn't been interesting since the days of Agassi/Sampras/Chang and even then it wasn't as much fun as watching McEnroe/Connors/Borg.
you have bill walton syndrome. I actually wish that i had played tennis in hs but i wouldnt have had time. Plus im not exactly built to be a tennis player though i was ridiculously agile in hs.(I was an offensive lineman and i had the second fastest agility drill team on our team).
Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well for me, tennis was always so much fun. It is a great work out if you are good and it really is difficult to master. I used to be much better than I am now, (and skinnier for that matter), and actually received two MVP awards for my 3A school back years ago. I played a lot of sports but none of them were as much fun as Tennis.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I haven't liked tennis since McEnroe/Conners/Borg

well, except for Chris Evertt ( before she married - Lloyd).

<edit>
Go Rugby ... much better sport. The US needs to adopt it for HS.

Last edited by dalmations202; 09-22-2006 at 03:29 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #25
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Man Doc... Thanks for the memories... Chang was so friggin fast back then! I can remember watching Agassi beat Michael Stich for his first US Open title in '94!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

I liked Chang. He was fun to watch play. Another couple of guys I used to enjoy watching was Ivan Lendl, Ille Natase, Stephan Edberg, Mats Wilander and that Courier guy.....all from about the same era of tennis.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

anyone watching the davis cup that is on now on OLN? James blake is beating the crap out of some guy.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #28
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
anyone watching the davis cup that is on now on OLN? James blake is beating the crap out of some guy.
Are you sure?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Are you sure?
No, I misread the score but he still should have won.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #30
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, I misread the score but he still should have won.
Youzhny knocked off Nadal at the US Open so I don't think it was that much of a surprise he knocked off Blake. USA really sucks on clay courts though.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #31
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I have this thing where I really dislike anyone who wins all the time. Like, except for the Cowboys, I don't like dynasties. (I know, homer.) Anyway, it makes me really dislike Federer for no reason except that he's that great.

I glimpsed the Davis Cup on OLN, but it was only for like 5 seconds so were they playing in front of absolutely no one, or is it just me? Where is this thing? I haven't been keeping up...
Old 09-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #32
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

federer is the best of all time

in terms of dominance for his or her respective sport, he ranks up there with bill russell

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote