Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Nowitzki ready for anything

MAVERICKS NOTES

Nowitzki ready for anything

By JEFF CAPLAN and MERCEDES MAYER
Star-Telegram Staff Writers

Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki has scored 31 points in each of the first two games and has burned 7-foot Pau Gasol, 6-8 Shane Battier and anyone else Memphis has used to try and slow him down.

When the first-round playoff series shifts to Memphis today for Game 3, what more can the Grizzlies possibly do against Nowitzki?

"They're going to continue to give him different looks, probably try to be more physical," Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said. "But, we're hoping that when they are more physical, Dirk makes strong moves, and if he makes strong moves, then hopefully he can get his share of free-throw attempts."

Nowitzki was 13-of-15 from the free-throw line in Game 1 and 12-of-14 in Game 2.

"I've been in the league eight or nine years now so I've really seen it all," Nowitzki said. "Bigger guy, smaller guy [guarding him] ... I don't think there's anything they can do that I haven't seen. I've got to take what the defense gives me."

Nowitzki, who scored 30 points just once in 13 playoff games last year, said that he's disappointed he hasn't had a complete performance.

"At the half [of Game 2] I had 21 points, zero rebounds and zero assists," he said. "I've got to play a good, all-around game."

Not so easy

The Mavs keep hearing that they've done everything right in taking a rather easy 2-0 lead over Memphis.

They just haven't heard it from the coach.

"Like I told the guys, the good news is we are healthy and we are up 2-0," Avery Johnson said.

"The bad news is we haven't really played like I thought we were going to play, and that's why we have to continue to improve."

The players are talking like their coach.

"Our goals and expectations are so high for ourselves that we just have to come out and do a much better job," Jason Terry said.

Road tough?

While the Mavs won both of their regular-season games at FedEx Forum, they were by a combined eight points.

"Both games there were decided by last-minute action," said Dirk Nowitzki, who made the winning free throws with 7.2 seconds left in the Mavs' 81-80 victory on Feb. 1.

"That's what we've got to look forward to. It's going to be a tough atmosphere. To play on the road in the playoffs is always great."

The Mavericks were 26-15 away from American Airlines Center, but five of those losses were on the last two extended road trips of the season.

Mid-day blues

The Mavs are 2-2 in day games this season and they needed a 24-point rally at home against Toronto to avoid a losing record. For today's 4:30 p.m. tip in Memphis, Avery Johnson wants his team's juices flowing early. Teams normally hold a morning shootaround before night games, but those are typically scrubbed for day games.

Not today. Johnson has scheduled a brief session at FedEx Forum at 9 a.m.

Ticket sales

If the Mavs lose Game 3, single-game tickets for Game 5 at the AAC would go on sale Sunday. Game 5 would be on Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. For ticket information, call (214) 747-6287.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links