Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-29-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
Crispey

Crispey is on a distinguished road
Default Bonds surpasses the Great Bambino

With Barry's 715th homer, he is now the sole holder of second place on the all-time home run chart.

What are your reactions?

Angry becasue of cheating allegations or celebration at an amazing milestone broken.

Does he deserve glory and praise or a punishment the likes of which haven't been seen since the days Pete Rose?
Crispey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Babe Ruth did it on Hotdogs and Beer.

Bonds did it on Bovine titty cream, steroids, moose testicle hormone and other crap.

Screw Bonds.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I think it's a great accomplishment, and until he is proven guilty I think he deserves some praise.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

It makes me kind of sad.

Doc said it very well. Bonds doesn't deserve it.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

*Yawn*

I could not care less about this. I might care slightly more if it wasn't Bonds, but come on, this isn't even the record.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Only slightly interesting....

Bonds tonight tied Hank for NL homers and had 6 RBI in a loss.

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Barry Bonds hit his 733rd homer, tying Hank Aaron's NL record, and drove in a season-high six runs but the Milwaukee Brewers outslugged the slumping San Francisco Giants 13-12 Friday night.

David Bell's infield single in the eighth inning drove in the go-ahead run for Milwaukee, which rallied from deficits of 4-0 and 12-10.

Bonds' three-run homer in the sixth off reliever Chris Spurling was his 25th of the season. The slugger is 22 homers from Aaron's career record of 755.

With runners on first and third, the 42-year-old Bonds hit a 2-0 pitch that just cleared the wall in center field to give the Giants an 11-10 lead.

The loss was the seventh in nine games for the Giants, whose postseason hopes are fading quickly.

Both teams sent nine players to the plate in the first inning, the first time this season that has happened in the major leagues. The last time it happened was May 11, 2005, when Seattle and the New York Yankees accomplished the feat.

With the Brewers trailing 12-10, Tony Gwynn led off the eighth with a single and Corey Hart followed with a double. Gwynn scored on Prince Fielder's groundout, and Bill Hall knocked in Hart with a two-out single.

Geoff Jenkins walked and Hall went to third on a wild pitch. Vinnie Chulk (0-3) then walked Cirillo, loading the bases. Bell hit a grounder to shortstop Omar Vizquel, but Cirillo beat his throw to second and Hall scored to give the Brewers a 13-12 lead.

Jose Capellan (3-2) got the win and Francisco Cordero pitched the ninth for his 14th save in 14 chances.

Bonds added two doubles, giving him 586 to move past Rafael Palmeiro into 14th place on the career list.

Bonds' six RBI tied the Giants' season high. Pedro Feliz also had six RBI on June 15 at Arizona. It was the sixth time in Bonds' 20-year career he's had six RBI in a game. The last time was Aug. 29, 2004, at Atlanta. His career high is seven RBI, accomplished Oct. 1, 1993, at the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Ray Durham hit his 25th home run in the eighth to increase the Giants' lead to 12-10.

Jonathan Sanchez pitched just two-plus innings for the Giants, giving up eight runs and eight hits.

Rookie catcher Mike Rivera had a career-high three hits and drove in three runs, and Kevin Mench added three hits and three RBI for the Brewers. Doug Davis pitched five innings, giving up seven runs and nine hits.

Last edited by Drbio; 09-22-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

and he is definetly clean this year. he wouldnt still be using it, if he ever did...

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a statment. He's definitely clean this year....

And he has 25 HR's.....

"If he ever did"...You SF people amaze me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Wow, what a statment. He's definitely clean this year....

And he has 25 HR's.....

"If he ever did"...You SF people amaze me.
People don't take into consideration that he can barely fully straighten his knee to throw his hips into the swing, so he's losing a lot of power. He has 25 homers at age 41 playing on a knee that most people would just retire with.

It's never been proven, so until it is I'm going to continue to believe that his bulking up was a result of the hardest workout program in the league.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well then you're naive.

Do you have any thoughts on the leaked grand jury testimony? Or the steroid cream that he admits to using, but didn't know it was steroids?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well then you're naive.

Do you have any thoughts on the leaked grand jury testimony? Or the steroid cream that he admits to using, but didn't know it was steroids?
I'm not naive, it's more that I don't want to believe my childhood hero did this. When it is proven then I'll believe it. I don't feel it's been proven, and I still think he's a great athlete.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well, I don't know how much more proven you want it, other than him actually failing a drug test.

All the evidence would be enough to convict him were he in some sort of trial.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well, I don't know how much more proven you want it, other than him actually failing a drug test.

All the evidence would be enough to convict him were he in some sort of trial.
I won't be fully convinced, until he admits it or he fails a drug test.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I won't be fully convinced, until he admits it or he fails a drug test.
Well then I pray you never serve on a jury.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Im by no means a bonds lover but his season this year has been awesome. He has over a 1000 ops for a 15th straight year. Im fairly certain thats a record and it is the most impressive statistic i have ever seen for a baseball player.

As for the did he or didnt he with steroids, my best friend who isnt a baseball fan asked me if it was a fact that Bonds took steroids. My reply was that it was a generally accepted truth but not a fact. If i was in a jury, I would vote him guilty because I feel that its well beyond a reasonible doubt BUT its not 100% a fact either...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #16
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Im by no means a bonds lover but his season this year has been awesome. He has over a 1000 ops for a 15th straight year. Im fairly certain thats a record and it is the most impressive statistic i have ever seen for a baseball player.

As for the did he or didnt he with steroids, my best friend who isnt a baseball fan asked me if it was a fact that Bonds took steroids. My reply was that it was a generally accepted truth but not a fact. If i was in a jury, I would vote him guilty because I feel that its well beyond a reasonible doubt BUT its not 100% a fact either...
Right. It's not a fact yet, but most people accept it as fact. I don't yet. He's had an impressive season this year considering how messed up his knee is, and he's still playing. Not for the record, but for a chance at a World Series.

In response to jthig, if I was serving on a jury I would probably vote him guilty too. I really like law, and actually being a lawyer would be one of my top choices for a future job. But since he has been my hero for so long, (i remember wearing Giants shirts and Bonds shirts all the time from the time I was 8) I don't want to accept it until it is proven fact. It hasn't yet.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

On the 15 consecutive 1000 ops seasons, A couple of things to put that in perspective, in a 12 year career, arod has only had a 1000 ops 5 times, Griffey Jr only had 4, Davis Ortiz has 2, Juan Gonzalez only had 2, Vlad has 3, Chipper Jones has 2, Andruw Jones has 0. So in conclusion, in the last 15 years, Barry Bonds has more 1000 + ops seasons as Juan Gonzalez, Ken Griffey JR, Chipper Jones, Vlad Guerrero, Andruw Jones and David Ortiz COMBINED.

I could go on down the list but that is ridiculous. Yes I think he cheated and yes that does change his accomplishments in my eyes but that is an amazing stat.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Not a big baseball guy, what does ops mean?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #19
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Not a big baseball guy, what does ops mean?
On base percentage plus Slugging percentage. It is the most important offensive stat in Baseball for evaluating who the best hitters are.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #20
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I find his stats impressive with or without the steroid allegations. The steroid allegations just taint it.