Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #201
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume Butler doesn't fit that criteria because you don't consider him a perimeter player? I certainly consider him a creator and finisher, as he's historically been a good passer.

The issue for me comes at the defensive end, but at least you already have two very flexible wing defenders in Marion and Kidd. I dunno, maybe it could work. I have my doubts.

I would certainly much, much, much rather have Martin. But I really don't think the Kings are moving Martin for pure salary relief. Heck they didn't even go after pure salary relief last year when they traded Miller and Salmons.

I don't really hold out much hope on the Martin front, at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #202
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm kind of glad I didn't get to see any of this game.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #203
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I assume Butler doesn't fit that criteria because you don't consider him a perimeter player? I certainly consider him a creator and finisher, as he's historically been a good passer.

The issue for me comes at the defensive end, but at least you already have two very flexible wing defenders in Marion and Kidd. I dunno, maybe it could work. I have my doubts.

I would certainly much, much, much rather have Martin. But I really don't think the Kings are moving Martin for pure salary relief. Heck they didn't even go after pure salary relief last year when they traded Miller and Salmons.

I don't really hold out much hope on the Martin front, at this point.
I don't hold out much hope for Martin, either.

As for defense, why are we talking about Marion and Kidd? It's more like Terry and Kidd, at least down the stretch. You need somebody out there who can replace Terry. I don't have illusions that Martin is a good defender, but at least he has size. Terry kills you on defense. Kills you. His inability to guard anybody or even help adequately in the team defensive scheme breaks the entire defense down. Until and unless you acquire somebody that will effectively put Terry on the bench down the stretch, this team is in trouble.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #204
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
I don't hold out much hope for Martin, either.

As for defense, why are we talking about Marion and Kidd? It's more like Terry and Kidd, at least down the stretch. You need somebody out there who can replace Terry. I don't have illusions that Martin is a good defender, but at least he has size. Terry kills you on defense. Kills you. His inability to guard anybody or even help adequately in the team defensive scheme breaks the entire defense down. Until and unless you acquire somebody that will effectively put Terry on the bench down the stretch, this team is in trouble.
Well, my assumption is that if the Mavs are acquiring Butler it's to play him with Marion and Kidd. If they're not then I don't really see the point.

I was pondering on how the Mavs could find a way to make that work. And I think they probably could in some match ups. Marion is quick enough to guard shooting guards, so maybe he plays the role of shooting guard on defense, allowing Caron to guard small forwards.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #205
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, my assumption is that if the Mavs are acquiring Butler it's to play him with Marion and Kidd. If they're not then I don't really see the point.

I was pondering on how the Mavs could find a way to make that work. And I think they probably could in some match ups. Marion is quick enough to guard shooting guards, so maybe he plays the role of shooting guard on defense, allowing Caron to guard small forwards.
IF they're going to do this, then the idea of Butler makes a bit more sense. With Kidd, Marion, and Butler on the perimeter, you'd only have trouble with really quick PGs, which leads you back to a solid team defensive scheme and a C in the middle to protect the rim. Speaking of which, if you had a Dampier/Haywood combo, I think you could protect the rim most of the time.

One other thing on Butler. Do you think this is all a moot discussion in light of the Yahoo rumor that has him going to Houston?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #206
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

butler and heywood are going to the rockets anyway
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #207
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
butler and heywood are going to the rockets anyway
Looks that way.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #208
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Has there been anything on the Houston rumor since this?

All that article says is they're in discussions. And it's a three team deal where the parties listed so far don't even start to work under the cap.

Wojnarowski has been really plugged in to the trade market for a while now, so I certainly wouldn't discount it. But I certainly wouldn't consider it even likely, at this point.

I'd still put money on us getting Butler over Martin, at this point in time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #209
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

If I were putting money on anything, I'd be betting on nothing happening.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #210
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

That's definitely always the safe bet. But I feel pretty confident that Josh is not going to be on this team after the trade deadline.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #211
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'll take the bet. How about this? If the Mavs make a trade, I'll change my avatar to anything you want that isn't vulgar. If the Mavs don't make a trade, I will change your avatar to anything that I want that isn't vulgar.

NOTE: If they don't make a trade, my avatar will be changing, too...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #212
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna continue to play the odds and say that Howard is still a Mav after the trade deadline.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #213
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, a deal's going down, no question.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 02-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #214
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

The avatar deal or josh deal?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #215
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
I'll take the bet. How about this? If the Mavs make a trade, I'll change my avatar to anything you want that isn't vulgar. If the Mavs don't make a trade, I will change your avatar to anything that I want that isn't vulgar.

NOTE: If they don't make a trade, my avatar will be changing, too...
Done.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #216
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
The avatar deal or josh deal?
Shut up, squirt.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #217
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Done.

Cool. Man, I hope you're the one picking my new avatar...
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #218
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Shut up, squirt.
Why don't you say that to my face.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #219
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Why don't you say that to my face.
ROFL!

Grow up.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #220
SMC0007
Guru

uh, why don't you too say that to my face.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #221
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
uh, why don't you too say that to my face.

Knew that was coming...
Old 02-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #222
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

The word "deal" generally refers to an exchange, not a wager.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #223
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Let's just hope the Mavs get a good basketball player and not a room full of barnyard animals....
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #224
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
The word "deal" generally refers to an exchange, not a wager.

Tags
gdt 09/10