Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Default Team records: other teams are struggling

Other teams are struggling. Guys I know it looks like its over and all, but look at our division and you will see that other teams are struggling. SA is struggling because of injuries, but that doesnt matter because it gives us time to get it going. The Rockets??? theyr struggling and that only helps us. The Kings will not be in the playoffs, and the Blazers could drop out too. There is time for this thing to turn around, and maybe this year we get it going at just the right time. I think out guys need to play a little better and we should be in it.

GO MAVS

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about the record. I sincerely doubt anybody is that worked up about being 2-7. That's only 5 games below .500. The problem is how the team looks and how they are losing, not the fact that they are losing.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

But what I am sayin is the fact that other teams are struggling will hopefuly give the Mavs time to figure that out and get it going

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you're absolutely right that the Mavs mathematically have every chance to turn this thing around and finish very high in the WC. But it's not going to happen unless something substantially changes.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

The problem is this same problem the Mavs have this season is the same one they've had the past two seasons and its damn near the same roster. I don't really care what the record says. I'd feel the same way if we were winning the division. This team is not playing well and IMO there's nothing that's going to change that unless the players play out of their mind like they did the 67 win season and the Finals run season.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
jc1988

jc1988 is on a distinguished road

ya mav fans....when u r pissed at ur team, think of our rockets...losing to the 1/3 spurs...when 10 points lead like 5 min in the 4th quarter...

dude, i wanna puke right now.
jc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1988 View Post
ya mav fans....when u r pissed at ur team, think of our rockets...losing to the 1/3 spurs...when 10 points lead like 5 min in the 4th quarter...

As others have stated, Rockets just look great on paper. That doesn't mean they're a great team. Meanwhile, the Spurs are champions and have one of the best players in the league and one of the best coaches in the league. I can only count a handful of teams who have a great coach and a great player on their team. Losing to the Spurs I find no shame in even with Parker and Ginobilli out. Losing to the Bulls though after such a heartbreak against LA? Its the story of the season.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

*sigh*, dunno what to think. I said I'd start panicking if they lost tonight but I just can't... not when you lose in the final minute due to a semi awkward bounce... but jeez, THREE straight double digit leads blown.

Although I only watched on TV, you could feel the nervous energy accumulating in the crowd during the 4th quarter when the Magic were coming back. The vibe from the players was bad too. Lots of missed layups tonight.

Yes, the division is struggling... but this means we should've taken advantage... we're in last place.

I think we'd be good... if we got a LITTLE bit more out of Howard, Terry, and Dirk... but I ponder if that "little bit" more is physically possible for them. All three were good tonight, but if one had a GREAT game, we would've won... none of them did.

I would not be surprised if we went on to lose the next 3 games, I really wouldn't. Knicks seem to be better, Charlotte is athletic, and Houston is of course tough/back to back... with all 3 on the road.

AAC, we used to dominate... we've lost 0-4 there... 5 dating back to last year.

Bass/Stack... such inconsistent play from the bench... I'm still confused why Stack is getting so many minutes... but maybe that's the best we got.

How we can be good:

If Terry, Howard, and Dirk play better

Improved perimeter shooting- we were an elite 3-PT shooting team in 05-06 , 06-07... dropped off to below average this year and haven't started out great this year

Some semblance of consistency from the bench-Bass and Stack give you a good game here and there, but in general are very unproductive. I think Hollinger may have been right about Bass's year being a fluke. Dude's too short, dude has no length... dude really isn't that good.

I dunno if we're even CAPABLE of any of this, but ugh.

*sigh*, im just gonna sleep and think about this tommorow.

Last edited by sike; 11-15-2008 at 02:15 AM.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #9
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1988 View Post

I will think of your rockets when the mavs hit their midseason stride, and win 22 in a row to vault us into the top of the west! Woohooo!!!

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
As others have stated, Rockets just look great on paper. That doesn't mean they're a great team.
you can say the same thing for the Mavericks when looking at the players they have you think they are good, watching them so far doesn't really seem like it though.
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
*sigh*, dunno what to think. I said I'd start panicking if they lost tonight but I just can't... not when you lose in the final minute due to a semi awkward bounce... but jeez, THREE straight double digit leads blown.

Although I only watched on TV, you could feel the nervous energy accumulating in the crowd during the 4th quarter when the Magic were coming back. The vibe from the players was bad too. Lots of missed layups tonight
Very, very nervous in the arena last night. The crowd really tried hard to help the team seal it..and a little bit o' fire when dirk hit that last one..but everyone was waiting for the bad bounce...the stop and not getting the rebound...

Although I was on board with the jkiddo trade because I think he's a better point guard, defender, thinker than devin...and will probably prove out to be more durable...With Jkiddo out there we have to rely on dirk/josh/jet to score...That's it and the fit may not be right. Now that would be fine if our center had some game...because jkiddo is hitting his open 3's which is what you sorta want out there....

But without devin the pressure is really on jet/dirk/josh to close out games.....And the way Jet in particular is playing defense it's almost a wash.....

I don't know if there is a underperforming center out there (eddy curry comes to mind) who has some offensive game..but the mavs need at least 4 guys that can be threats and THEN let jkiddo have the ball. right now they are having to give it up to dirk/jet/josh at the end while jkiddo sort of looks on. The offense is NOT the same as it was earlier...ESPECIALLY when JET has the ball...then it's normal jet..dribble around until I find a shot, contested or not...no offense at all.

Carlisle cannot let jet imo be the closer...he doesn't involve anyone...he doesn't get doubled unless he's trapped and he doesn't pass out of it.

But we are in a bad way at the end because dirk isn't coming through like he normally has, josh perked up a little bit and jet is trying to shoot us to a win...yuck...

I think carlisle is going to have to go back to dirk being the closer (if he's going to isolate) and let the chips fall where they may...That would possibly allow gerald to get into the game for jet imo...which could shore up that defense. Dirk will have to make sure he doesn't just jack 'em up either...but look at distributing some from the post. Right now they don't pass out of it much.
As much as Avery's plays were known by everyone...they were end of game type plays. Carlisle is going to have to figure out an end of game offense that is working...And it'll need to involve getting the ball to dirk somewhere dangerous...

The end game offense is on carlisle imo...However having jet in the end game is tough...dirk had a tough time with Rashard Lewis also..but lewis isn't going to terrorize the offense by getting into the lane like everyone jet plays does.

Stack is done...he doesn't even think about the rim...I'd much rather have *gulp* devean george out there and tell him to only shoot open 3's. He'll defend and rebound consistently...stack is ridiculous right now.

I'd like to see someone besides jet at the end of games and have him be and off-the-bench scorer...but he just doesn't get enough ft's to allow him to try and close out games.

I'd move bass+whatever to get some semblance of a low-post player...Might be impossible..but that's what I'd look at.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The record doesn't always give you the true outlook of how things are with a team. It does with our team...but it's fool's gold when you look at other rosters.

We don't have major injuries that are killing us.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

I keep saying you cannot have Terry, Stack and Bass in the game at the same time. I dont have the numbers to back it up, but since last year IMO 90% of the time these 3 guys together get outscored, because I believe their defense just sucks....and the problem is that they are basically our bench rotation.

Insert Terry into the starting rotation, Bring Gerald of the bench, with Diop, George and Williams and see what you can get for Stack and Bass in a trade.

The MAVS Bench just sucks and put too much preasure into the starting five.

Last edited by pepe; 11-15-2008 at 12:20 PM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The record doesn't always give you the true outlook of how things are with a team. It does with our team...but it's fool's gold when you look at other rosters.

We don't have major injuries that are killing us.
In reality that doesnt matter if other teams are struggling because of injuries or other stuff. Either way it gives us a chance to get out of this hole and once we get it going we should be able to play with those teams even if by that time they are not struggling.

........GO MAVS
Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
you can say the same thing for the Mavericks when looking at the players they have you think they are good, watching them so far doesn't really seem like it though.
I don't know. I look at the teams we've lost to like the Bulls and the Magic and I think compared to those teams the Mavs don't even compare talent wise. We have Kidd, Dirk, Josh and a inconsistent JET and that's about it. That Bulls team we just lost to who some consider a mediocre at best team and they're roster is a lot younger and better than ours. Same goes for this Magic team we just lost to. I don't consider the Mavs a team full of talent by no means.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Other than the Spurs.. look at who else has a record like us.. Clippers... Timberwolves... All of these teams look like they are in great shape... /sarcasm.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #17
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
They didn't lose due to a semi-awkward bounce. They lost because they made mistake after mistake after mental mistake. They lost because they turn into mush in the fourth quarter.

That is why you should panic. Even if they'd somehow won that game at the last second... I'd still be in panic. The fact that they lost has nothing to do with why this team is screwed. Their record is not the reason people are worried. That's beside the point.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #18
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I was simply referring to the Nelson miss where Terry rebounded but threw out of bounds due to weird angle. (I think).... plus missed layups... Dirk missing the layup where he thought he was fouled, etc.

But of course, I agree with you... and we definitely deserved to lose the game.

I don't think we're as bad as the teams in the same neighborhood as us recordwise... Twolves, Thunder, Clippers, etc... we're on an 18 win pace, we're obviously not that bad.

I guess the problem I see is 1. we show no signs of being capable of playing championship defense and 2. the "superduperstar" theory... Dirk is not Duncan, Shaq, Bryant, James, Jordan, etc.... two exceptions of course were the '04 Pistons and '08 Celtics... but they had tremendous depth and team defense. Dirk's supporting cast is not good enough to offset the fact that he's not a "superduperstar" (I think someone posted an article referring to this recently).

And regarding the championship defense, the Celtics, Spurs, Pistons, etc were all in the T2-3 of defensive efficiency. I can't imagine this team suddenly becoming beter defensively than the Pistons, Cavs, Celtics, Lakers, and Rockets. Could we morph into an adequate defense? I don't see why not. But you have to be great, not just good/adequate.

but I'll keep hoping, even if delusional

Last edited by ghazi; 11-15-2008 at 11:58 PM.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote