Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #41
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

The Golden State series.

First of all i thought, why i the world did Avery not play Dampier when Damp was bad mouthed by GS and Damp wanted to beat them and prove he was a good player. We chose to small ball and anything we did, GS beat us fair and square and was better than us. I was later reminded and told, Dampier was hurt that series and he didn't play much. I am not sure he was hurt or not and he did not get much time. That center for GS is proving he is a good player. The one they have now.

Leading up to the GS series, Dirk quit. Dirk stopped rebounded and was having a monster year. 2 weeks out of the regular season, Dirk went from physical, mvp and great to a softie. He refused to rebound. I thought maybe he was saving himself for the playoffs. Again, this was a mystery to me, along wih Avery not playing Damp and was Damp hurt. All mysteries.

Jason Terry started to quit about a week after Dirk did. I thought he might be resting up for the playoffs. After the first or second game in the gs series i saw something i never thought i would see, Howard quit with Dirk and Terry. Dirk and Terry would play in very short squrts and then just quit again. Remember Damp was not being played much and only two players hustled thru that series and tried. Most all our team quit except Harris and Diop. They both tried hard no matter what the score was.

Since that series, i agree, things haven't been the same. Riley snatched our heart out and we got it back and then Nelson ripped it out of us. I wish we would have kept Harris but i am not ripping Kidd, he was put into this bad position. He doesn't fit into this type team. If we want to look into the numbers, Kidd is one of the only ones playing good with good numbers for us now. I am afraid that Dirk and Terry need a penetrating pg that takes the heat off them and now these two really shine, especially Dirk. Dirk can also shine with Kidd for 3 quarters when it is an open full court game but in the 4th it will be a grind, slow, stand still game. Now we get hurt.

I am not sure which way we will go on trades and who, draft picks by the way of us trading or us grind it out with this team and like dude mentioned, try to get motion in our offense in the 4th q. This coach gets paid to do this and can he do it? I admit we have 90% of our players that need to wake up. We also need the coach to hit the problem head on and try to fix it. That is motion and movement in the 4th and us play the 4th q along with other things but that is the major flaw.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #42
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

That Nets trade just looks worse and worse by the game. We give up Harris and 2 1st rounders which forces us to use our whole damn mid-level on Diop. Wish we never even signed Diop. WE could've put that mid-level exception to real use.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #43
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I couldn't believe we gave up the 1st rounders we did. I mean it was like our organazation knew it was the pg and we was going to win titles. Thinking Kidd was 25 again. Cuban didn't sign Nash because of his age and thought he couldn't last playing 100 miles an hour but then he turns around and let Kidd happen. Not even straight up but the picks. It is sad that they never knew we needed a sg, an offensive paint man and a stronger bench but thought we needed one player, a mature and older pg and give what it took to get that.

I agree with Diop. That looks bad. As we flounder around, the west is getting better.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #44
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

We're not average, average is 5-5. We're 2-7 below average.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 11-15-2008 at 10:33 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #45
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

3-5 Charlotte
3-5 San Antonio
3-7 Memphis
2-7 Dallas
1-6 Washington
1-7 Minnesota
1-8 LA Clippers
1-9 Oklahoma City

bottom 8 teams in the NBA.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #46
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
But perhaps they knew they weren't keeping Nash so they drafted Harris. What if they intended to sign him? We may have drafted Igoudala instead. Nash/Igoudala/Howard/Dirk/Damp-Diop. *Sigh*

As for Walker, the Terry trade was an absolute steal but i'm sure we could have found something else for our team. We already had all the basics covered and an intimidating starting 5... maybe a post player of some sort and we would have been golden.
Sorry this is a little late.

Perhaps you weren't paying attention back then, but when they drafted Harris the intention was to sign Nash. They made Nash a pretty substantial offer, and when he left the Nelson's were floored. Cuban did not expect Nash to get such a big offer. All offseason they had been saying backup PG, backup PG, we need a backup PG. When they drafted Harris Donnie said "we got our backup PG".

As for Walker they had been shopping him all summer and the Terry offer was the only good one they had out there, and the summer was drawing to a close. I think we still make that trade.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #47
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Sorry this is a little late.

Perhaps you weren't paying attention back then, but when they drafted Harris the intention was to sign Nash. They made Nash a pretty substantial offer, and when he left the Nelson's were floored. Cuban did not expect Nash to get such a big offer. All offseason they had been saying backup PG, backup PG, we need a backup PG. When they drafted Harris Donnie said "we got our backup PG".

As for Walker they had been shopping him all summer and the Terry offer was the only good one they had out there, and the summer was drawing to a close. I think we still make that trade.
Yeah I don't recall them stating that, but even if they did who knows if we should believe them? A substantial offer though? Nash's deal seems like a pretty bargin price, but I guess that's after considering his amazing MVP seasons in Phoenix. Our front office really keeps the inner workings to themselves if they can help it. I think in Cuban's mind he knew the offer wouldn't be enough, but if it were, his mindset would have been to win right now. Having a rookie PG on the bench wouldn't have been as nice as a rookie SG with decent size or a low post presence/center in general (no Damp here).

The Terry trade was a flat out steal. I think we would have done it too, but perhaps given the needs of the team had Nash resigned we may have found a different offer to fill a team need.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #48
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
3-5 Charlotte
3-5 San Antonio
3-7 Memphis
2-7 Dallas
1-6 Washington
1-7 Minnesota
1-8 LA Clippers
1-9 Oklahoma City

bottom 8 teams in the NBA.
Damn, 1-8 Clippers.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #49
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
Yeah I don't recall them stating that, but even if they did who knows if we should believe them? A substantial offer though? Nash's deal seems like a pretty bargin price, but I guess that's after considering his amazing MVP seasons in Phoenix. Our front office really keeps the inner workings to themselves if they can help it. I think in Cuban's mind he knew the offer wouldn't be enough, but if it were, his mindset would have been to win right now. Having a rookie PG on the bench wouldn't have been as nice as a rookie SG with decent size or a low post presence/center in general (no Damp here).

The Terry trade was a flat out steal. I think we would have done it too, but perhaps given the needs of the team had Nash resigned we may have found a different offer to fill a team need.
no one thought it was a bargain at the time. Everyone thought that the Suns were overpaying, and best case projections were that he'd help them sell some tickets that would make up for the big payout. But if I remember right, Nash and Cuban and the agents and the public record all said it was a more a matter of length of contract than it was about the total dollars. (the mavs wanted a backup pg because they thought that Nash the old man would be breaking down soon) I don't remember either the $$ or the length, so I don't know how to reconcile those two points of view. I do remember Nash saying something like he was going to work harder than ever, just to show Cuban that he was worth the contract - to which I and a couple others around here asked, "Why weren't you working that hard while you were a Mav, Steve Cash??"

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 11-16-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #50
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well...I for one thought it was a bargain at the time. And I also thought that the length-of-contract issue showed poor foresight. I remember saying that this wouldn't even be Nash's last contract.

I think the bottom line is that the Nash handling was the very, very, very worst of Cuban's ownership...and both Nelsons knew it at the time but were powerless to do anything about it.

Cuban had a hardon for Duffy...and it cost this franchise dearly.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thread diarrhea