Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-19-2002, 02:19 AM   #1
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I was just thinking, what is our goal?? I know everyone will say to win an NBA Championship team, that is what we all want. But with what pieces, how long, with draft picks, with veterens, with blockbuster trades to get those players to make it happen??

I think we need to get better coaching for one thing, but who will make those changes with Nellie being head coach and GM. Our offense is wonderful, but our defense is almost to where I am unable to watch without vomitting. Through my young life, I have heard, 'you need goals, long or short'. Well what are those short or long goals of Cuban and Nellie to get us to where they think we need to be. I guess I have just been thinking a lot now that the trade deadline is coming up so quickly, but I want to know what they want to do. I think they made head way for the future with Nash and Dirk, but who will come in help them with this. I could see the rest of the team kind of fade away and us just building around those two.

I just wanted to hear what other people thought about the goals of this mavericks team. Like are they really planning on getting Duncan, or trying to trade for a great draft pick for a up and coming center, or will they trade for a bigtime player to help out. I want to know what yall think of this and how far we will go. I am just curious on how we will build this, because I hope this team is far from being finished because we seem still under construction sometimes.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2002, 02:25 AM   #2
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

You know I find it good that the Mavs want Duncan but what makes anyone on this board so sure that Duncan wants the Mavs? I read somewhere and also seen J. Kidd comment on the possibility of him and Duncan playing on the same team. I think they both become a free agent about the same time, and Kidd has been courting the guy. A PG like Kidd, what's not to like? I think all Kidd has to do is talk to the guy once the time come, and they both could end up on the same team. Then I think if those 2 guys are on the same team than that's a championship team. Throw any other 13 guys in the mix and you have a winner. I think McDyess is more attainable than Duncan, cause let's be real folks Duncan will NEVER be a Dallas Mavericks.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:21 AM   #3
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

Joe Joe...Are you Madam Cleo?

Because your finite statement on where Duncan will end up, and more specifically where he won't end up is bordering on psychic abilities.

You have no idea as does anyone else on this board.

One could specualte that Duncan doesn't know either.

And while Jason Kidd is politicking, he can't neccessarily deliver the goods as well.

There is a season and a half before Duncan becomes a free agent.

And Mark Cuban has as much a shot at landing him as anyone.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:45 AM   #4
Joe Joe
Banned

Mark Cuban doesn't have nearly the chance that J. Kidd has to land him. Players land players, not owners IMO. Owners may pay them, but the players are the main guys doing the politicing. Jason Kidd can deliver the goods just as or better than anyone else in the league. To say he couldn't is just absurd, and I don't know who would make an untrue and riciulous statment. I am going on what I heard out of Kidds mouth, and he said he has definitely talked about it with him. If Kidd was to talk to Duncan, wouldn't there be a better chance for Kidds team to get him rather than anyone else? I am just thinking realistically here folks, what's not to like about a team ran by J. Kidd?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:12 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Joe Joe, What on earth leads you to believe that there will be a single team capable of signing both Kidd and Duncan and be able to fit both under the salary cap?

Until you can find me a team that will have $25M in cap space in 2003, Kidd playing with Duncan is a pipedream.

Too bad, this thread is faling fast because it is hung up on this point. If not this, it would fail because of the "need new coaching" comment.

Why does everyone have to toss in one "personal agenda" point with every omnibous Mavericks thread?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:31 AM   #6
Joe Joe
Banned

MAn, trust me a team can get it done thru trades and that sort of thing. If Duncan wants to play with Kidd and I think thats a strong possibility he will play with Kidd.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:41 AM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Yeah Dude, it just happens. You just get it done. Sure. Brilliant. You can't even cite a single example of a team capable of pulling this off. Except maybe Chicago. And no free agent is going there for a long time.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:50 AM   #8
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

san antonio will have tons of cap room the year duncan becomes a free agent. even if he resigns with san antonio that year, i believe the only players under contract will be duncan and tony parker. maybe antonio daniels as well. kidd could easily get his max deal in san antonio.

there is a pretty good chance of kidd and duncan playing together in san antonio. but kidd and duncan only have a slight advantage over nowitzki and nash as of now. in two years, the mavs will probably have an advantage as long as nash can stay healthy.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 12:03 PM   #9
dolemite220

dolemite220 is on a distinguished road

I think we have as good a shot at getting Duncan as anybody.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:25 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Hasn't there been just as much talk about Duncan staying in San Antonio and having JKidd move there to play with him?

Kidd is a FA after next year, and hasn't said anything to assure anyone that he's into the idea of finishing his career in New Jersey. On the contrary, JKidd is thought to want to move back to a warmer western climate, and has said explicitly that he'd be interested in playing with Duncan.

San Antonio is supposed to have only Tony Parker signed to a contract beyond 2002, and they are supposedly maneuvering to use that as a bargaining tool to retain Duncan--letting him, in essence, pick from the available free agents (Kidd among them) whom the team signs.

Interesting prospect that.

"I think McDyess is more attainable than Duncan."

Yeah, twice as attainable and half the player.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 12:42 PM   #11
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

Kidd has also stated that he would love to play with G. Payton and Antonio McDyess as well as Duncan. As far as landing Duncan AND Kidd at the same time while keeping Nash and Nowitski. Get real. If that is what Kidd and Duncan want, it is much easier for Jersey or San Antonio to do it then anyone else.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:30 PM   #12
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

Crystal ball or not, we will not be in the Duncan sweepstakes from Duncan's perspective. Players do make a difference as to where someone ends up unless they are simply money hungry.

In either case, we cannot outbid SA because of the new CBA, don't you guys remember last year and where all the FAs signed? With their original teams for the most part because that's where they could get the most money.

So, Duncan is most likely to resign in SA. SA has the most cap room that year and the rumors have been circulatin gfor awhile they are targeting Kidd to go with Duncan. The fact that Kidd has made similar statements recently only adds to the credibility.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:08 PM   #13
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I was just saying for an example the Duncan rumor, but what do you guys think of a goal that Nellie or Cuban made for this team. I don't think Cuban just bought the team and said, 'lets win a championship' he must have thought about the players that would get him there. I also don't think that Nellie is happy with the best offense and the worst defense, or he better not be. What coaching changes will there be and what players do yall think they had in mind to bring the championship to Dallas. I was asking about the Duncan thing, but I'm glad everyone wants to dicuss that.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote