Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-19-2002, 06:30 AM   #1
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

I wanted to start game talk early, so I did.

I see this being close until the end. Mavs pulling away in the last. Dirk shooting 33.

Mavs 105
Wolves 98

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2002, 08:44 AM   #2
Zille92

Zille92 is on a distinguished road

dirk might be scoring 33, but KG will be taking his a$$ to school as usual. if croshere scores over 30, KG is going for 38 points - 18 rebounds! dallas has a history in opposing forwards landing the game high in points.

mavs 97
wolves 109
Zille92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:19 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Tough for Garnett to school Dirk if he won't be in Texas.

<< [i]• Wolves update: Tonight starts a critical stretch for the Wolves. They play the next four games on the road, followed by home games against the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio, followed by another four-game road trip. The next 2 1/2 weeks will be extremely important for playoff positioning. The Wolves probably will be without their leader, Kevin Garnett, who is attending his grandfather's funeral in South Carolina today. The team was not sure Monday if Garnett will make it to Dallas in time for the game. If not, look for Anthony Peeler, Felipe Lopez and Sam Mitchell to play extended minutes. Forward Gary Trent (strained hamstring) remains day-to-day.[/Q]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I'm going to the game tonight. First time at AAC. Looking forward to the well rested Mavs winning by 8.

JT

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
Zille92

Zille92 is on a distinguished road

<< Tough for Garnett to school Dirk if he won't be in Texas.
>>

damn, there goes my fantasy team [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Zille92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:57 AM   #6
dolemite220

dolemite220 is on a distinguished road

The AAC is bad ass. You will have the time of your life, especially with a mavs win. No KG.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:12 PM   #7
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Does anybody know for sure whether KG is playing or not?

Old 02-19-2002, 09:13 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

KG's not playing. The Mavs are up by 10 at the half and we're winning the rebound battle. Life is good so far.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:44 PM   #9
OzMavs
Platinum Member

Why does the 3rd quarter curse hit us every single game.

If anyone has access to the stats, could you let us know how many third quarters the Mavs have actually won. I would bet it would be few.

Old 02-19-2002, 09:51 PM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Coincidence that Dirk doesn't take a shot in the 3rd quarter and we lose the lead?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:56 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Billups is KILLING us!
Old 02-19-2002, 10:09 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my prediction:

If Dirk doesn't get shots... then the Mavs will lose.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:11 PM   #13
Bayliss

Oh... and the way they are playing... they deserve to lose. Yes, they do. You don't show energy &amp; emotion, you deserve to get beat.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:18 PM   #14
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

We are the biggest group of pu$$ies in the league. I swear to GOD. The team directly behind us in the standings comes into our house minus TWO starters and Trent, and we lay an egg.

It's the 4th quarter and we're not even ATTEMPTING to play defense or get the ball to our best player. It's absolutely inEXCUSABLE for Dirk to go the WHOLE 3rd quarter without a touch. And now he has what? 2 shots in the 4th.

Nash, you're an all star, that doesn't mean you have to be an Allen Iverson. Stop controlling the ball EVERY possession. You dribble the shot clock down to 10 seconds and the force up a fall away 20 footer? yeah, great point guard play there stevie.

Finley, don't you figure that when there are TWO players guarding you, one of the OTHER Mavs is open. Three times tonight finley forced up shots, way to go &quot;leader.&quot;

Dirk, you've got to be a man if you want the ball. Just tell your buddy Nash, &quot;give me the GOD DAMN BALL!&quot; What do we really attribute Dirk's poor shooting performance to? Him having a stinker, or Nash and Hardaway playing 1-on-5?

This is inexcusable. Bring on the trades. Bring on Oakley. Finley, yeah, you were great last year in the playoffs, and you've meant tons to this franchise, but your being pigheaded in your reluctance to take shots in the flow of the game. If you were REALLY the heart and soul of the Mavs, there would NEVER be a game when dirk has so LITTLE impact on the game. If you're the leader everyone says you are, have some balls and tell your team to step up.

This is FREAKING PATHETIC.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:27 PM   #15
Bayliss

You're power forward/center should **not** lead the team in assists.

Damn this was a sucky game. Way to show a lot of intensity.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:27 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

I watch the Wolves play defense and I wonder what's wrong with the Mavs. Why can't we have that energy? Why can't we play the passing lanes? Why?
Old 02-19-2002, 10:30 PM   #17
Bayliss

Oh and here's another meaningless stat. We outrebounded the Timberwolves.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:31 PM   #18
Road Rage

Road Rage is on a distinguished road

Another typical knee-jerk reaction from ocelot. Let's just blow the team up.
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:46 PM   #19
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

Oh, THAT's how you play team defense! Thanks for the lesson Wolves. Hope we learned something.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:48 PM   #20
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Typical Road Rage? How is what I said typical, have I said something like this in the past?

How 'bout instead of you making a personal insult to ME, why don't you stop being lazy and refute my statement? Prove me wrong. Let me hear it.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:06 AM   #21
Road Rage

Road Rage is on a distinguished road

Maybe I should rephrase in that I didn't actually mean typical of you (I would have to research your posts to substantiate that), but rather I meant typical of a lot of johnny-come-lately Mavs fans.

Regardless, I don't have to, nor do I intend to, get into a pissing match with you about trading away the team because they lost a game they should have won. It happens, and I for one am not ready to hit the panic button.

Don't give me any BS about this is your &quot;constructive criticism&quot;. It's nothing but the rantings of a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum because his team lost.
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:38 AM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

First of all, I'm not a &quot;johnny-come-lately&quot; Mav fan. There's really no way to prove that, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I said lets bring on the trades, big deal. That doesn't mean I'm having a knee-jerk reaction. It's very obvious that the mavs have no legitimate shot of advancing in the playoffs. We are the WORST defensive team in the league. the WORST. We'll be lucky to make it past the 1st round with the way we play defense.

Our leader still wants to be the &quot;man.&quot; It's obvious to anyone who watches the Mavs. Fin doesn't have the drive he had last year, and it shows in his stats. I'm definitely not suggesting that Finley be traded just for the sake of trading, but the man is not as good as some of us think he is. If we think he is untouchable than we're living a deluded dream. Do you think we'd be more successful with Finley and our porous defense, and weak interior/rebounding? Or, do you think we'd be better with say, Larry Hughes slashing to the basket and Danny Fortson banging/rebounding down low?

The one thing that makes the possibility of trading finley so hard to swallow is the fear that he'll get back on track and get back to playing like an all-star. Screw that. I'm tired of this outscore the opponent strategy. I'd rather have one fewer offensive juggernaut and have a somewhat respectable defense.

The one thing you'll notice about teams outside of Dallas, is that even if their offense sucks, they still have the capability to win games because their offense keeps them in it. Defense is a constant. Offense is dependent of a number of factors. Defense will keep us in/win more games in the playoffs than fade-away 3's will anyday.

&quot;Don't give me any BS about this is your &quot;constructive criticism&quot;. It's nothing but the rantings of a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum because his team lost. &quot;

For someone who doesn't want to get into a pissing match, you sure have a funny way of showing it. You managed to make this into something personal, while I've done nothing but talk about the Mavs. If you WANT to make this personal, I'm sure your credibility would love to meet that of RCF's.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:05 AM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Geez guys...just agree to disagree.

As for the game, I saw early that the Mavs lacked intensity tonight. That is a reflection on the coaching staff as well as on the pride of the players. The Mavs just completely laid an egg, got outplayed, and lost another pressure game. However, lets not lose sight of the fact that our Mavs are 20 games over .500 and still look promising. Think about how crappy we felt two seasons ago. It's not that bad.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:08 AM   #24
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

i went to this game tonight... and i've never seen a player like dirk completely dissapear from an offensive like i did tonight.. oh my word.. this was maybe my least favorite mavs game of all time
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:09 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

disgusting game..
well, i guess we'll see how long the identity crisis continues
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:43 AM   #26
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

would you have traded a dirk bobblehead in for a mavs win tonight? i would have
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:48 AM   #27
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I love Dirk, and I believe that if this team ever wins a championship it will be on his shoulders, but he disappears. He needs to work on his consistency. This is not just a game to game matter, but nearly possesion to possesion. he scored his 5 1st quarter points I believe in 3 possesions. Other than that he was not much of a factor in the 1st. My lord the 3rd quarter made me sick.
Continually this season Dirk will go quarters without touching the ball but a couple of times. I love him, but Nelson needs to tell him to assert himself. When Dirk goes well so go the Mavericks.
What particulary frustrates me is that when this team is struggling we need to get him the ball more. Nobody does a better job of getting to the line than Dirk.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:55 AM   #28
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

grbh,
I agree with you that Dirk needs to be more assertive, but he's not the one who dribbles the ball up the court, is he?

Nash has bought TOO much into the shoot first mentality. It's not that he's bad at it, rather that he fails to get others involved. Fratello even noticed it and commented, &quot;Well, it's hard for a guy to score when he doesn't get touches.&quot;
Old 02-20-2002, 09:29 AM   #29
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I agree on two things with you Ocelet.

1. Nash does dribble too much sometimes and takes too many shots for a point guard, but the philosophy around here is when we're winning no one seems to have a problem with it. However when we lose, all of a sudden everyone notices. Well he's been doing that all year..

2. Dirk does need to be more assertive. There were a couple of times lastnight he got the rebound and I was yelling at the TV DON'T GIVE IT UP, JUST KEEP GOING... Then he passed the ball that never seem to find it's way back to him.

However I disagree with the Fin thing. I saw what Fin was doing, he was trying to be aggressive and trying to do something to give the team some energy in the second half because NO ONE had it in the second half. NOT ONE PLAYER ON THE MAVERICKS TEAM, so Fin said fuck the percentages and just tried to do something about it. The problem was he was broke!

I thought Nellie's rotations were terrible lastnight. Griffin was the ONLY player scoring in the second half, so what does Nellie do, take him out of the game.. Didn't understand that move?

The main problem lastnight was defense.. WE SUCK defensively. I don't want to hear about how Griffin plays great defense, or how Bradley plays great defense, WE SUCK AS A UNIT DEFENSIVELY!!!!