Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default Mavs win @ Knicks: 3-7

We won! In OT! Against a winning team! We'll see if this is the game that helps the team turn it around. We had something like a 19-2 stretch in the 4th & OT to win it. This is either a "breakthrough" or just a really shitty Knicks team...my guess is a combination of both.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

At least we didn't lose to this guy.
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Quote:
This is either a "breakthrough"
Nope

Quote:
or just a really shitty Knicks team
Nope.

I feel this was a fluke, or a stroke of luck, or something. Everyone posted great numbers, but until I see a repeat of these numbers than we can't really make much of it. Remember Damp's game against the Lakers? Where is that now? This could just be one in a stretch of 10 games where we actually post respectable numbers. Even with those numbers though, we put a team that we should beat by 10 points into overtime, which is not acceptable.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
You know, that's exactly what I thought of when he hit his first 3 in the game.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose View Post
We won! In OT! Against a winning team! We'll see if this is the game that helps the team turn it around. We had something like a 19-2 stretch in the 4th & OT to win it. This is either a "breakthrough" or just a really shitty Knicks team...my guess is a combination of both.
Great win for the mavs, although wouldn't get to excited. they won is OT, but the Knicks ain't no winning team yet. better then both mavs and Nets at this point but it is only the beginning mavs need a win against a good team like Lakers, Boston or someone like that. But I think this will help them a little, gotta start somewhere even good teams lose games
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

lol, you can play that video 1,000,000 times and I'll laugh 1,000,000 times.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

The negativity on this board is really astonishing. We won a great game, Dirk and Howard put up big numbers, we didn't falter in the forth. Time to celebrate, to enjoy. Who cares if its only one game against New York? I am happy with the outcome.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

It was a fun game to watch. Dirk/Howard putting up big big big numbers at all.

Bass is a bum. I know he had 12/7. but he's outta control at times, not disciplined defensively, and missed 2 dunks for chrissake.

Singleton had a solid performance tonight... but he still seems like a bum too.

Antoine Wright seems like a bum, as well.

Barea made some big shots tonight, but I think he's a bum.

Basically, whenever most of the guys out there are off the bench, I feel really, really uncomfortable. Our bench just seems very mediocre, if not below average.

Guys like Stackhouse/Bass/Wright and hell, lets throw in Barea/George, have flashes here and there which deceives me into thinking our bench is actually deep, but overall, are way too inconsistent.

Gerald Green... I know he didn't get minutes lately, and I know he had a great 3 game stretch... but I don't think he's a legitimate starting 2 guard. He should be a role player at best, and that's probably where he's most comfortable.

I wasn't overly impressed with the defense. The Knicks had some hot shooting though IMO, and it cooled off toward the end. too much stuff around the basket though. such as the exuberant dunks from Lee and Q Rich.

As for the win itself, can't say it's impressive. I just hope it gets us out of our funk. if we end up losing the next 2, then the win was not a turning point, was not a funk breaker... we're just not that good. Period.

The Knicks are not a good team, contrary to their 6-3 record coming in. Worst defensive team in the league.

Anywho, as I said, I'm just hoping for a split against Charlotte/Houston. 2 wins would get me amped, but back to back + Houston is good/Charlotte is athletic on the wings.

I feel good about the win tonight. A loss would've been just absolutely horrible.

Last edited by ghazi; 11-16-2008 at 11:07 PM.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
The negativity on this board is really astonishing. We won a great game, Dirk and Howard put up big numbers, we didn't falter in the forth. Time to celebrate, to enjoy. Who cares if its only one game against New York? I am happy with the outcome.
Its tough to really get up for it though. If we're going to suck this season, I don't want a win like this to delay the inevitable rebuilding. If this is a turning point game where the team starts to get confidence and figure some smaller things out, then it is great.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
Great win for the mavs, although wouldn't get to excited. they won is OT, but the Knicks ain't no winning team yet. better then both mavs and Nets at this point but it is only the beginning mavs need a win against a good team like Lakers, Boston or someone like that. But I think this will help them a little, gotta start somewhere even good teams lose games
I bet when you use Word, the paperclip flips you off.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Good points, but at this point, a 3-7 record doesn't cut it.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
haha

this video was linked to that one and it made me laugh out loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKwa...eature=related

anyway, back to the mavs.. I had to watch the game via my phones game cast, but even THAT was exciting in the 4th/OT.

About to watch the game for realsss right now.. yay
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Um, the Knicks were 6-3 going into this game. That is the definition of a "winning team."

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Good points, but at this point, a 3-7 record doesn't cut it.
At this point, the record is completely irrelevant. They aren't seeding the playoffs tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Um, the Knicks were 6-3 going into this game. That is the definition of a "winning team."
so far. that might be a winning team right now, but wait till december to see if they are a winning team. I think they could be good, but not great. hey I mean any team can mavericks could win games and lakers could start losing anything can happen, I don't really start judging teams till december, you know better then where a team is at if you know what I mean. It's hard at this point to really tell

Last edited by basketballgirl25; 11-16-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The offense for the Knicks late in the 4th totally stalled any kind of momentum they could build, and Dallas actually took great advantage of it. Josh didn't do a disappearing act as well. Once he hit two jumpers early, I thought that was a great sign. It actually held down the fort while Dirk was on the bench.

Singleton was actually pretty solid tonight with his minutes, active and was able to work with the "bigs" of NY better than our Centers. I don't like tho that we have to continue to adapt to an opponent and we can't force the issue the other way around...sigh. Damp was left completely alone for a 15 footer and he clanged the crap out of it.

Did GG do something to piss off Carlisle because I thought he would've been a good fit in today's game...

Bass might've been a +22 tonight, but that's deceptive. I thought he made some really stupid mistakes tonight and he let Randolph, of all people, get in his head.

But hey...We got a win and we did it in ways that's been a struggle as of late, so we'll take it!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason we have to adjust is because our centers have no offensive game at all. You can't "punish" the other team for going small on the other side...so almost your only choice is to pull 'em.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one thing to think about. If we had lost home games to Houston, Cleveland, the Lakers, and Orlando over the course of the season...would that really raise any eyebrows? Those are very good teams, among the best teams in the league. We just happened to have to face them all at home four in a row to start the year. Would have been nice to have some patsies in there...but the schedule is what it is.

Let's not count the little mavericks out just yet!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #19
LonghornDub

Quote:
so far. that might be a winning team right now, but wait till december to see if they are a winning team. I think they could be good, but not great. hey I mean any team can mavericks could win games and lakers could start losing anything can happen, I don't really start judging teams till december, you know better then where a team is at if you know what I mean. It's hard at this point to really tell
So maybe that's why nobody said "the Mavericks beat a good team." The person said, "The Mavericks beat a winning team." There's a difference.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Here is one thing to think about. If we had lost home games to Houston, Cleveland, the Lakers, and Orlando over the course of the season...would that really raise any eyebrows? Those are very good teams, among the best teams in the league. We just happened to have to face them all at home four in a row to start the year. Would have been nice to have some patsies in there...but the schedule is what it is.

Let's not count the little mavericks out just yet!
It's the typical sports fan propensity to ascribe everything to some broader trend. The Mavs lose a few games in a row, so suddenly they are terrible and need to blow the whole thing up. Dirk has 2 (or was it 3) bad games in a row, and suddenly his lift is gone and he needs to be traded.

It's exactly what you said--if those things were spread out, nobody would care. But when something bad happens a few times in a row, people act like it's never going to change.

What's that quote, "When you win, you feel like you're never going to lose again, and when you lose, you feel like you're never going to win again"?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #21
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
So maybe that's why nobody said "the Mavericks beat a good team." The person said, "The Mavericks beat a winning team." There's a difference.
ok, I get your point, but think about it this is the Knicks, hey hopefully they are a winning team, I think it would really help the NBA and get more fans of NBA. I know a lot of people in Jersey who weren't basketball fans and are now since Knicks are doing well. So will be great to see what happens with them
Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's the typical sports fan propensity to ascribe everything to some broader trend. The Mavs lose a few games in a row, so suddenly they are terrible and need to blow the whole thing up. Dirk has 2 (or was it 3) bad games in a row, and suddenly his lift is gone and he needs to be traded.

It's exactly what you said--if those things were spread out, nobody would care. But when something bad happens a few times in a row, people act like it's never going to change.

What's that quote, "When you win, you feel like you're never going to lose again, and when you lose, you feel like you're never going to win again"?
I do hope that these past few performances from Dirk are a great sign that he's out of the funk and that the Trade Dirk talk can finally be put to rest. That wasn't a realistic option to go for now and I wasn't in favor of it by any stretch of the imagination.

I would say they did play pretty uninspired basketball during that stretch and it wasn't fun to watch. I think it would still make a difference if they were spread out b/c people would then say, yeah we're beating the gimmes but still struggling against the tougher teams. So I think that point doesn't make a difference on the timing of it...but it is on the more unfortunate side that they were all lined up that way to start.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25
ok, I get your point, but think about it this is the Knicks, hey hopefully they are a winning team, I think it would really help the NBA and get more fans of NBA. I know a lot of people in Jersey who weren't basketball fans and are now since Knicks are doing well. So will be great to see what happens with them
Where do you live?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #24
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
haha

anyway, back to the mavs.. I had to watch the game via my phones game cast, but even THAT was exciting in the 4th/OT.

If McGrady runs outside the arc before he gets credit for the basket, does it count as a three?
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #25
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
Where do you live?
New Jersey about a hour away from NYC and two hours away from philly
Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25
New Jersey about a hour away from NYC and two hours away from philly
So...what are you around these parts? A roving Jason Kidd fan?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like a Dan Tony team to get the offense clicking. He's done a great job with the Knicks this year but his teams are easy to play against physically and you never feel like you're out of the game when he's on the other bench.

I expected better numbers from Kidd in a game like this. Still make some plays to help us get the win so you can't really complain.

I wonder if Singleton will start to push Bass for minutes behind Dirk or if this was just a match up thing.

Not thrilled about Green getting the start, playing 7 minutes and never seeing the floor. Carlisle's rotations have been pretty erratic up to this point.

It's interesting that Carlisle has gone to Terry over Dirk in must score situations for two straight games.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #28
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Nothing like a Dan Tony team to get the offense clicking. He's done a great job with the Knicks this year but his teams are easy to play against physically and you never feel like you're out of the game when he's on the other bench.

I expected better numbers from Kidd in a game like this. Still make some plays to help us get the win so you can't really complain.

I wonder if Singleton will start to push Bass for minutes behind Dirk or if this was just a match up thing.

Not thrilled about Green getting the start, playing 7 minutes and never seeing the floor. Carlisle's rotations have been pretty erratic up to this point.

It's interesting that Carlisle has gone to Terry over Dirk in must score situations for two straight games.
I think Singleton would need some more matchups that favor him getting time over the centers for them to think about putting him in place for Bass' minutes. He did a nice job tonight tho.

I think the built-in reasoning for using Jet would be something along the lines of:
Well, we know Dirk is going to draw double coverage and we know Jet will get 1 on 1 coverage. We love Jet and we'll take Jet 1 on 1 any day of the week.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #29
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

let's just be thankful that mike dan and tony isn't our coach

and we only have to see him twice a year now

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 11-17-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #30
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

singleton's a better defender and rebounder than bass. i think you have to trade bass/stack if you can get another rotation player at the 4/5 spot, or backup PG spot.

if stack plays and has his usual 1 for 5 game then the mavs lose. they really never need to play that guy again. i hope he's traded soon along with bass.

good win for the mavs. the knicks kinda gave it away, but they made some plays that will hopefully give them confidence.

carlisle is starting to figure out a few things. we probably need to give him a break since he's a newbie to the mavs. nellie was here forever and avery got a running start (taking over after being assitant). the play calling down the stretch was MUCH improved tonight.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #31
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

This might be a bit simplistic but here goes:

Stack inactive tonight .... Mavs win .... coincidence? hehe

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #32
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
let's just be thankful that mike dan and tony isn't our coach

and we only have to see him twice a year now
That second part actually makes me sad. There was nothing I enjoyed watching Dan Tony swear up a storm at the refs with that goofy look on his face. Pure comedy.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #33
fluid.forty.one

he's like a rated R cartoon character
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
If your name is not Don Nelson, what kind of endgame play do you run for Dirk? I'll always remember Duncan with one shot to beat us in a series, and damn near airballing it.

I'm not that big a Terry fan, but if I were Carlisle I'm not sure that I wouldn't do the same thing.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #35
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JVx5tdPENc&NR=1
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #36
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

WE BEAT THE KNICKS?!?!?! YESSSSSSS.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #37
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
haha

Watching stuff like that makes it even more amazing that they were able to flip him for Pau Gasol.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #38
seagullstalker35

seagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura about

it's nice to finally get a win....couple thoughts.....

1) it took dirk putting up 40/15 and howard dropping 31/14 to beat the freaking knicks, in overtime no less. We can't rely on them to put up those numbers every single night, they have to get some help from the rest of the team. Although terry and singleton played pretty well.

2) opposing point guards light us up almost every night, chris effing duhon went off for 16/12. Unacceptable.

3) thank god no stackhouse.

i'll celebrate the win because we desperately needed it, but im not encouraged in the slightest. brace yourselves for many, many losses if we need this kind of performance from from dirk and howard to win against an average/below average team.
seagullstalker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #39
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If your name is not Don Nelson, what kind of endgame play do you run for Dirk? I'll always remember Duncan with one shot to beat us in a series, and damn near airballing it.

I'm not that big a Terry fan, but if I were Carlisle I'm not sure that I wouldn't do the same thing.
You run the same one that Avery ran, an iso. That's become a bad word around here but the NBA is an iso league. His height would get him as much separation as Terry's quickness.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #40
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Watching stuff like that makes it even more amazing that they were able to flip him for Pau Gasol.
To this day that trade is total blasphemy.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote