Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-29-2001, 10:26 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two nights after the lowest-scoring game of his career, Michael Jordan had one of the best games in Washington Wizards history.

Jordan scored 51 points and set franchise records with 24 first-quarter points and 34 points in a half Saturday night as the Wizards snapped a two-game losing streak with a 107-90 victory over the Charlotte Hornets.

Jordan made 21 of 38 shots from the field, 9 of 10 free throws and had seven rebounds and four assists in 38 minutes. He had a shot at Earl Monroe's franchise game record of 56 until the Wizards blew the game open in the third quarter, allowing coach Doug Collins to sit his star for good with 3:08 remaining in the game.

Jordan's 38th 50-point game also set an MCI Center record and was the first 50-point game by a Wizards player since Tracy Murray scored 50 at Golden State on Feb. 10, 1998. It was the first 50-point game by a Wizards player at home since Bernard King's 50 against Utah on March 6, 1991.

It was the first time Jordan topped the 50-point mark since scoring 55 points for Chicago in a playoff game against Washington in 1997.

Jordan broke the 50 barrier with a smooth move in the paint around two defenders with 4:08 to play, ending a game full of classic Jordan highlights.

Hubert Davis added 21 points and Jahidi White had 12 points and a season-high 12 rebounds for the Wizards.

Jamaal Magloire scored a season-high 22 points to lead the Hornets, who beat the Wizards 99-93 on Wednesday. Baron Davis, who was listed as doubtful with a bruised right knee, started and scored 14 points in 42 minutes.

Jordan scored a career-low six points in Thursday's loss to Indiana, ending his record 866-game streak of 10 points or more. He needed only 4:25 to start another double-digit streak, making five of his first six shots and scoring the Wizards' first 13 points.

Realizing he was hot, Jordan wanted the ball and wanted it badly. Two familiar moves were on display early and often: the fadeaway off the screen and the pivot around a defender who left his feet falling for the fake.

Jordan's best move: On the right wing, he moved to the right around Magloire, hung the air forever and kissed a 14-footer off the glass while drawing the foul. Jordan made the free throw to give the Wizards a 25-19 lead.

Jordan didn't have his legs in the fourth quarter, shooting just 2-for-7, but he blew past Stacey Augmon for an easy layup with seven minutes left.

Jordan and Davis were Washington's only offense in the first half, with the pair making 20 of 29 shots and accounting for 48 of the team's 56 points. The result was a seesaw half that included 23 lead changes before Jordan's 17-footer with four seconds left gave the Wizards a 56-51 lead at the break.

The Wizards put the game away with a 13-0 run with no points from Jordan. Chris Whitney and Davis hit 3-pointers, and White had a 3-point play and made two more free throws in the spurt that put Washington ahead 75-56 with 4:46 left in the third quarter.

The Hornets never got closer than 12 in the final quarter as the Wizards improved to 14-0 when leading after three.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2001, 12:08 AM   #2
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Gotta love MJ.....he showed he can still do it...is he the oldest NBA player to get more than 50?
Old 12-30-2001, 07:36 AM   #3
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, Traacy Murray had 50...
Michael is really showing he can still do it, not every game, but he has enough power to be at his best for some games, respect!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 03:32 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that bothers me about this is that when they lose, the coach or Jordan goes on and on about how someone else on the team needs to help him out, etc...

Im too lazy right now to do the math (maybe someone knows a site that has info like this) but I'd like to know how many shots per game he's averaging and whose next in line and what the difference is.

Looking at the boxscore, he took 38 shots in that game and the only player to come close to that was Hubert Davis with 11.

I don't think anyone doubted he could come back and still put numbers up, but when he's scoring everything is fine, when he isn't somebody is in for it. I try to make a habit of looking at the boxscores and on most ocassions, he's taken--at least--10 more shots more than any other player.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:29 AM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I beleive MJ leads the league in shots-per-game. I could be wrong though.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:08 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

As hot as Dirk was in the Atlanta game... if Dirk took 38 shots, he may have scored 60-70. **shrugs shoulders**

When you shoot 38 times, **you** should score 50 points.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:36 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

At the moment, Jordan is tied with Nick Van Exel for second in the league in shots taken (651). The lead is held by Antoine Walker at 652. Jordan averages 23.25 shots per game. Van Exel and Walker clock in at 22.44 and 22.48 respectively. Walker, Van Exel and Jordan are 8th, 9th, and 10th in the league in scoring.

Dirk, who is 12th (directly behind Jordan since 10th is a tie between Jordan and Malone) does that while averaging only 16.1 shot attempts per game.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:43 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Here's a pretty good stat...Atoine Walker has shot more 3s than two other teams.

Walker - 245 (86 makes, 35.1%)
Wizards - 243
Bulls - 231
Old 12-31-2001, 08:18 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to those that posted how many shots per game Jordan takes.

I should of been more specific though, I was wondering who is 2nd on the Wizards team and what the difference between Jordan and the next Wizard player is.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordan put up another 50+ points in future games.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:25 PM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

<< I should of been more specific though, I was wondering who is 2nd on the Wizards team and what the difference between Jordan and the next Wizard player is. >>

Jordan = 651
Hamilton(3 fewer games) = 401

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:24 PM   #11
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The guy is just amazing.
Returns at the age of 38 and is still one of the games best. His shot might be a little off sometimes, but I think he will improve his percentage over the season. But take a look at all the other stats. In nearly every category he matches his career average, or has just a slight dropoff. 2001: 5.3 ast (5.4 career), 1.6 stl (2.4 yeah he´s not as quick), 2.5 to (2.8 actually an improvement), 6.0 rb (6.3). All in all that´s amazing for a guy who hasn´t played professional ball for three years and is nearly 39 years old. I just hope he can stay healthy and kick some butt in the east.

Oh and he just did that again today against Jersey droping 45 on 16-32 shooting. He also had 10 rbs, 7 ast and 3 steals. Wow.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 11:33 AM   #12
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

That's great! Jordan is still the one he was before retiring, now we now it! 51 + 45 in 2 games back to back...

The only thing that really changed is his field goal percentage! He averages over 50 percent in his whole career to 41 right now.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:33 PM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I think because he is MAJORITY perimeter now. Even when he returned from his first retirement he had the ability to attack the basket, I don't think he has that ability anymore so he uses his quickness to create space to get off a jumpshot. I said it before and I'll say it again, even if Jordan came back and averaged 5 points, he will STILL command respect from his opponent. That's just the way it is. He deserves all the respect he gets.