Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-12-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default from NY post : Kenyon Martin and Rasheed Wallace trade still might be in works

September 12, 2003 -- HOOP DU JOUR

NEWEST Net Alonzo Mourning hopes he'll get the opportunity to play defense alongside Dikembe Mutombo this season the way they used to asphyxiate opponents on a regular basis at Georgetown, but it isn't likely to happen.

According to sources, the Nets have revived efforts to sever their brief relationship with Mutombo, the 7-foot-2 center whose guaranteed contract has two years ($17,894,738 /$19,684,211) remaining.

Earlier in the summer Mutombo and Kenyon Martin nearly became Trail Blazers in exchange for Rasheed Wallace (the Nets' reluctance to accept Ruben Patterson instead of the now retired Arvydas Sabonis ultimately killed it), but the two parties recently resurrected somewhat similar conversation. Those close to Wallace say he's been informed things have heated up again and something may still go down.

Chances are a third team must be incorporated into the trade for it to occur. For example, the Raptors are infatuated with Mutombo. In fact, they're offering to send Antonio Davis ($12M/$12M/$13M, plus a 15 percent trade kicker) to the Blazers as part compensation. Wallace would end up in New Jersey and Martin in Portland.

Naturally, for cap purposes, other players would have to be included; Dale Davis says he's heard he may be included in that particular three-way.

Should the Nets be unable to maneuver Mutombo down their exit ramp via a trade the next option, I've learned, is to negotiate an amiable divorce agreement. There are signals coming from agent David Falk's office that his client would be willing to waive roughly $5M of his annual guarantee in order to get released on his own recognizance.

Once Mutombo cleared waivers, he'd be free to sign elsewhere (Raptors, Clippers, Blazers) for the mid-level exception in order to recoup the loss of revenue; probably even tap into some additional scratch on the backup.

"I don't see any problem with me and Dikembe playing on the same team," the chiseled Mourning declared after notching a robotic 25 points Wednesday at the Garden in an all-star game that was so devoid of defense that Escalade and the rest of the touring And1 Mix team was appalled.

"Why not try it first before dismantling it? A lot of people would want the problem of having the two of us," Mourning continued. "Imagine the two of us coming at teams in waves or in unison. For stretches we could shut teams down as a dual force. We'd stunt some teams' growth. I'll tell you what, until something happens to the contrary I'm going to figure we're going to be teammates again. All the other stuff is simply speculation until proven different."

Just out of curiousity, would any Mavs fans try to aquire Mutombo?
Old 09-12-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default NY post : Kenyon Martin and Rasheed Wallace trade still might be in works

No way, he wouldn't last 2 minutes running up and down the court with the mavs.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NY post : Kenyon Martin and Rasheed Wallace trade still might be in works

is mutombo a better option than what the mavs currently have? if so, not much. plus, he offers little to nothing offensively at this stage in his career. yes, i know that the mavs aren't looking for alot from the centers offensively, but he offers next to nothing
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather see Bradley on the floor than Mutembo
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote