Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road
Default Allstar Starters Announced Tonight

Starters Announced Tonight

Will the current ballot-leaders hold their spots? Or will there be a last-minute switch? Find out tonight on TNT, as the starters in the 2005 All-Star Game in Denver are announced during a twinbill between the Cavaliers and Heat (8 p.m. ET) and the Spurs and Lakers (10:30 p.m. ET).
If the current voting trends hold, then Houston's Yao Ming would finish as the top overall vote-getter. As of Jan. 20, Yao (2,153,039 votes) held a narrow lead over Miami's Shaquille O'Neal (2,099,201 votes) in the 2005 NBA All-Star Balloting program. Kevin Garnett, the 2003-04 NBA Most Valuable Player from the Minnesota Timberwolves, is third overall and leads Western Conference forwards.

Through the 2005 All-Star Balloting program, NBA fans from around the globe have the opportunity to select the starters for the 54th classic, which will be held in Denver on Sunday, Feb. 20, 2005. The 2005 All-Star starters will be unveiled on Thursday, Feb. 3. The head coaches will then vote and determine the remaining All-Stars in their respective conferences.

The 2005 NBA All-Star Game will air live from Denver at 8 p.m. ET, Sunday, Feb. 20 on TNT, ESPN Radio and in over 200 countries around the world.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Allstar Starters Announced Tonight

Grant Hill edges Jermaine O'Neal in fan voting for East's starting All-Star spot
By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
February 3, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Grant Hill of the Orlando Magic edged Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal by slightly more than 65,000 votes for a starting spot on the Eastern Conference All-Star team.

Hill received 1,497,489 votes in fan balloting to O'Neal's 1,432,438, allowing him to join Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter and LeBron James as the starting five for the East at the All-Star game Feb. 20 in Denver.

Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets received a record 2,558,278 votes in winning the starting spot at center for the Western Conference for the third straight year. He will line up alongside Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan of San Antonio, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant and Houston's Tracy McGrady for the 54th version of the league's showcase event.

Shaquille O'Neal's 2,488,089 votes were the second highest in All-Star balloting history, the NBA said Thursday in announcing the starters. The previous record of 2,451,136 for Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls was set in 1997.

James, the Cleveland Cavaliers' 20-year-old phenom, will be the only first-time All-Star among the 10 starters. Shaquille O'Neal was selected to his 12th All-Star team, Garnett to his eighth; Bryant, Duncan and Hill to their seventh, Carter and Iverson to their sixth and McGrady to his fifth.

Hill, sidelined for most of the past three seasons after undergoing four surgical procedures on his troublesome left ankle, was selected an All-Star for the first time since 2001.

``It's amazing. I haven't expected any of this. I was just trying to concentrate on coming in and being healthy and not judging myself or looking at any personal goals,'' Hill said. ``I've been a little shocked at all this, all the love and attention -- and I'm thankful for it.

``It is an honor. It makes you feel good. Getting the love from the fans is a great feeling, because they ultimately support us and support our league,'' Hill said.

Jermaine O'Neal, a starter for the east All-Stars a year ago, missed 15 games earlier this season after being suspended for his part in a brawl with Detroit fans at a Nov. 19 Pacers-Pistons game. He is averaging 26.2 points and 9.3 rebounds, while Hill is averaging 18.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.6 assists.

All-Star reserves, selected by the league's coaches, will be announced next Tuesday.

Each coach must vote for seven players -- two guards, two forwards, one center and two others -- from the other teams in his conference.

Stan Van Gundy of the Miami Heat will coach the East team, while the West will be led by the coach of the team with the conference's best record following Sunday's games. San Antonio's Gregg Popovich and Phoenix's Mike D'Antoni are the leading candidates.

More than 6 million votes were cast in worldwide All-Star balloting, a 14 percent increase from a year ago, the NBA said.

Shaquille O'Neal will be a starter for the first time since 2002 after being outpolled by Yao the past two years when both were in the Western Conference.

``If you look at how he got all those votes, it's not difficult,'' O'Neal said. ``You can't compete with that, because where he's from, there's a billion people. I don't know how many people there (are) where I'm from. All them billions probably love him over there. They don't love me over there.''

James becomes the second-youngest All-Star starter in league history behind Bryant, who was 19 when he represented the West in the 1998 game.

``To know I've got that many fans, you know, it's a light in my heart and one of the best things that's happened to me,'' James said.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If the West Coaches want a Shaq stopper, they better choose Damp as a reserve.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Silly V2. The Allstar game isnt about stopping anyone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

My picks for reserves would be:

East:

G- Gilbert Arenas
G- Dwayne Wade
F- Antawn Jamison
F- Jermaine O'Neal
C- Ben Wallace

Paul Pierce
Kirk Hinnrich

West:

G- Steve Nash
G- Ray Allen
F- Dirk Nowitzki
F- Amare Stoudamire
C- Brad Miller

Chris Webber
Shawn Marion
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

who would start in front of Nash?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Who cares?
Dirk should be starting at forward. Really they should get rid of the center position. That would allow the five best players to play on each respective roster. Is miller a better player then say the fifth best pf? This is who should be starting

Nash- the mvp at the half way point
Ray Allen-He has cooled off, but the Sonics are in better position then the Lakers or Rockets.
Dirk- His best season as a pro. He started back off where he left in 2002-2003.
Duncan - Mr. Consistency except he doesn't have to score 20 a game to win. Maybe the only player that could be the defensive player of the year as well as MVP.
Miller-He is the most skilled center in the league. He has made a seemless transition from East to West.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:43 AM   #8
Misfit Mav

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
who would start in front of Nash?
I mean those would be my picks for the reserves given that the starters have already been chosen by the fans. If I set the whole team, I would start Dirk and Nash and several others over those who were voted in.

EDIT: If I were to choose the starters, I'd pick:

East: Wade/Lebron/Jamison/O'Neal/O'Neal

West: Nash/Kobe (as much as I dislike him, he's the most talent 2 out there)/Dirk/Amare/Duncan
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Old 02-04-2005, 01:21 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

gotcha, Misfit.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I didnt understand what you were saying.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

this whole thing is a traveshamockery

dirk should be starting with nash in the all star game
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #11
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s

Agreed..........Burgleflickle!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Silly V2. The Allstar game isnt about stopping anyone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
You're right, Erica. I guess, I just want to see Damp vs Shaq one more game since Shaq chose to term Damp "soft".

Of course, purely based on performance, Brad Miller is more deserving to be the backup center, this year.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s

yes, letting the fans vote has turned the all-star starters into a joke. the all-star game should reward the players that are having the best seasons thus far - not be a popularity contest. i've refused to watch the game for some time now, and will continue to do so this year.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

here's some proof that the allstar game isn't about defense:

Kevin Garnet and Tin Duncan will be guarded by Vince Carter and Grant Hill.

West is starting two SG/SFs
Old 02-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #15
Misfit Mav

The East is tiny, but for once the Eastern All-Stars can actually field a front-line that equals the West.

If you put LeBron at SF (where he's been playing all year), I think Lebron / J. O'Neal / Shaq is about as good as KG / Duncan / Yao.

But with the way the fans vote, Western starters have a clear advantage.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:06 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I would have screamed if JO had started after missing much of the first half of the season for decking a fan as he was getting up off the ground.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #17
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I would have screamed if JO had started after missing much of the first half of the season for decking a fan as he was getting up off the ground.
kind of like i scream everytime vince carter has "earned" a starting spot when he's sat on the bench injured the first half of the season...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

There's something totally unfair about the All-Star selection process. Obviously it's for the fans and they have every right to select whoever they want to see play. But getting selected to the All-Star game is also very prestigious and clearly very important for players. It may decide their potential earnings during their playing days and also is crucial for their selection into the Hall-of-Fame after they retire. Hence, the league needs to come up with a fair system which considers the fan's votes but also may be the media, the coaches and their peers (something similar to the Pro-Bowl selection in Football).
Old 02-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You know V2M, I don't think it's that important. Coaches and GM's know as well as we do who deserves to be in that game and who is going undeservedly. That's why I doubt that Vince Carter, for example, would ever make an all-star game if he hadn't been voted in by fans. Vince can't use his All-star appearances as leverage for any type of contract IMO. The only thing that it may affect is HoF, and I doubt even that will make or break a player's chance to get in.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, bernardos, but you also have to consider the guys on the cusp, that would have made the game as a reserve if someone didn't get voted in undeservedly.

at least carter is playing this year... i still remember being pissed when he got voted in that year where he missed the whole first half of the season.

maybe they should have a stipulation that you have to have played X number of games in the first half of the season, to be eligible to play.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #21
V2M
Diamond Member

Bernardos, I agree with you to some extent on the guys that made it. What about the deserving guys that miss it 'cuz of the guys who made it undeservingly?