Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 AM   #641
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

5-0, I have never heard of faceguarding being a penalty in the NFL.

I'm not up on the ins and outs of the forceout rule, but I kinda doubt TO would have got both feet down even if no one was on him. He could have, though. We'll never know, but I do think it's not at all certain.

Like you, I am also waiting for a missed kick to be given another chance and then made. How delicious that would be. And I also agree with your point about drops. Frankly, as far as I am concerned the catch that TO went up to get right before Witten's touchdown earned him a couple drops. That one was man-sized.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 02:05 AM   #642
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I don't know if I've heard the official call it face guarding but it's always been my understanding that you can't just face the receiver and flail your arms without making a play on the ball, even if you don't touch him.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:49 AM   #643
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

You have to make a play at the ball, not at the reciever. When you are not even aware where the ball is, that is very hard to do. That is why it was a pass interference.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #644
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

did you guys watch the story on Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks on ESPN.

Nobody can get enough of Romo-mania baby

Contact Me
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #645
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Norm say the other day that faceguarding is no longer a penalty. I haven't heard that anywhere else, but that's what Norm said. With that being said, that 2 point conversion still was pass interference in my book because the guy clearly made contact with TO before TO made contact with the ball.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #646
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

He's back...

www.tonyhomo.com

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #647
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...?urn=nfl,48542

His coverage sucks, but I still think we need him against NE. =/

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #648
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty

Wow... Just WOW...

Travis Johnson ends Trent Green's career and doesn't even get FINED for taunting him, let alone suspended, but Roy Williams could get booted for a game when nobody was hurt on the play? Somebody has it out for Dallas...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #649
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

T.O. is up to something:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3057714

I hope he doesn't drop any balls this Sunday. That would be nice.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #650
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled
T.O. is up to something:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3057714

I hope he doesn't drop any balls this Sunday. That would be nice.

I love Romo's response...

Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #651
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Wow... Just WOW...

Travis Johnson ends Trent Green's career and doesn't even get FINED for taunting him, let alone suspended, but Roy Williams could get booted for a game when nobody was hurt on the play? Somebody has it out for Dallas...
please...
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #652
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wow... Just WOW...

"rumor"

Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #653
alby
Guru

I love TO

Contact Me
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #654
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

about faceguarding, ive never heard anyone say its no longer against the rules. As you said dirno i dont really hear the officials call it faceguarding but you have to make a play on the ball or at least try to locate it. Newman got called for pi last year on a play when he jumped and the ball hit him in the butt because he never turned around. He never made contact with the receiver.

Chum, if youre talking about the forceout play its not certain but it looked pretty likely that he would have gotten the other foot in if he wasnt forced out.

BTW one other thing about this game. Im waiting on some coach to take advantage of this rule and if the to catch had been a catch last night would have been the perfect time to do so. Everyone knows about the 10 second run off for illegal procedure right? Well there is no such run off for illegal formation. If i was in a situation like last night where i had a receiver catch a ball in bounds, id just have two receivers run up to the line of scrimmage, one hike the ball to the other one and make the other one spike it. I know it sounds nuts and it would be an illegal formation but if no one was moving(and this is the key, the other 9 guys would have to be completely set) that would not be an illegal procedure penalty and as such would not be subject to the ten second run off. I just want to see someone take advantage of that rule.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #655
alby
Guru

There are a lot of loopholes actually that I don't know why teams don't do.

Contact Me
Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #656
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
about faceguarding, ive never heard anyone say its no longer against the rules. As you said dirno i dont really hear the officials call it faceguarding but you have to make a play on the ball or at least try to locate it. Newman got called for pi last year on a play when he jumped and the ball hit him in the butt because he never turned around. He never made contact with the receiver.

Chum, if youre talking about the forceout play its not certain but it looked pretty likely that he would have gotten the other foot in if he wasnt forced out.

BTW one other thing about this game. Im waiting on some coach to take advantage of this rule and if the to catch had been a catch last night would have been the perfect time to do so. Everyone knows about the 10 second run off for illegal procedure right? Well there is no such run off for illegal formation. If i was in a situation like last night where i had a receiver catch a ball in bounds, id just have two receivers run up to the line of scrimmage, one hike the ball to the other one and make the other one spike it. I know it sounds nuts and it would be an illegal formation but if no one was moving(and this is the key, the other 9 guys would have to be completely set) that would not be an illegal procedure penalty and as such would not be subject to the ten second run off. I just want to see someone take advantage of that rule.
Wouldn't the opponent be offsides, also? You wouldn't even lose any yardage for it. I doubt the refs would have any clue what was going on, either.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #657
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
Wouldn't the opponent be offsides, also? You wouldn't even lose any yardage for it. I doubt the refs would have any clue what was going on, either.
most likely yeah they would but i think if its an illegal formation that would override the offside instead of it being offsetting.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #658
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm not up on the ins and outs of the forceout rule, but I kinda doubt TO would have got both feet down even if no one was on him. He could have, though. We'll never know, but I do think it's not at all certain.

Like you, I am also waiting for a missed kick to be given another chance and then made. How delicious that would be. And I also agree with your point about drops. Frankly, as far as I am concerned the catch that TO went up to get right before Witten's touchdown earned him a couple drops. That one was man-sized.
It used to be against the rules but Norm on the postgame said they had changed it this year.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #659
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
please...

Do you contribute thoughts to this forum any longer or just judge other people's opinions?

A couple samples of your more recent contributions to this site:

Quote:
GAME DAY THREAD!!! FIFTH GAME OF THE YEAR! GO COWBOYS!!:

TO sucks, I don't care what any of you f-ers say.
Quote:
Nerdcore Hiphop will Reign Supreme:

I don't think you want to know what I think.
Quote:
Mavs Physicals:

and what a great point it was...
Quote:
Top 10 "Desert Island" Albums:

ok...next
Quote:
Nowitzki: 'I take losses harder probably than anyone else in this league':

whatever...
Quote:
Pops Gone...:

well...the truth hurts doesn't it?
Quote:
Cowboys Off-season Thread:

Julies Jones = most over-rated RB ever!

I love how you talk sh!t and never back it up with ANYTHING... Never a single thought to go behind your insults, never a single opinion that someone can throw back in your face...

Pure cowardice...

Last edited by Underdog; 10-10-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #660
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
"rumor"

Which part was a rumor? That Johnson won't be fined/suspended, that Green's career is over, or that Williams could get suspended for a game? (the word "could" is a disclaimer, so calling it a "rumor" is right on point - it's nice to see that you grasp the English language...)

Last edited by Underdog; 10-10-2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: I accidently typed "is be"... (that looks pretty foolish when you're trying to lecture someone on the English language)
Old 10-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #661
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty

It was an axedent.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #662
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Which part was a rumor? That Johnson won't be fined/suspended, that Green's career is over, or that Williams could get suspended for a game? (the word "could" is a disclaimer, so calling it a "rumor" is right on point - it's nice to see that you grasp the English language...)
? No idea what you are trying to say. Shrug.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #663
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Do you contribute thoughts to this forum any longer or just judge other people's opinions?

I love how you talk sh!t and never back it up with ANYTHING... Never a single thought to go behind your insults, never a single opinion that someone can throw back in your face...

Pure cowardice...
I can't stand arrogance (who can really?), and horse-blinders that come with it. This particular forum is filled with it, including you... Hence, the word "please" as in "please, take your fat head out of the Cowboys ass long enough to see the facade."
Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #664
Underdog

Quote:
I can't stand arrogance (who can really?), and horse-blinders that come with it. This particular forum is filled with it, including you... Hence, the word "please" as in "please, take your fat head out of the Cowboys ass long enough to see the facade."

Thanks for driving my point home...

Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #665
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Thanks for driving my point home...
Maybe in your little world that made sense..

Last edited by Nemesis; 10-11-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #666
Underdog

Quote:
Maybe in your little world that made sense..
I have already explained myself in this thread - go back and read it all again, soak it in, then read it once more for good measure...

I've made my point very clear: you belittle everyone's opinion without offering any insight as to WHY their opinions deserve to be belittled by the likes of you... If you're gonna talk sh!t, then back it up with something (ANYTHING)...

Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #667
Nemesis
Diamond Member

"Soak it in" ? That is seeping with arrogance. I don't claim that posters care what I think, nor do I care if they do...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #668
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

funny

http://www.tonyfreakingromo.com/faq.html
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #669
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

tonyfreakingromo.com is about as funny as a Nemesis post...which is to say, not funny at all
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #670
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
tonyfreakingromo.com is about as funny as a Nemesis post...which is to say, not funny at all
I tend to disagree. What about this isn't funny?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:51 AM   #671
alby
Guru

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3059911

Quarterback Tony Romo has ridden a series of highs and lows since being named the Dallas Cowboys' starter last season. While Dallas' 5-0 start this season has been a high point for Romo, the third-year player will likely have his 50-year-old father, Ramiro, on his mind over the next few weeks.

The Pro Bowl quarterback told the Dallas Morning News before Thursday's practice that his father has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

"He's your dad. You've been so close for so long, it can be a scary thing," the paper quoted Romo as saying. "I look forward to the day where we can spend a lot of time together."
Thursday night, two sources close to the QB confirmed to ESPN.com's Matt Mosley that Ramiro Romo was diagnosed with cancer last month. According to the sources, Ramiro will probably undergo surgery later this month.

Tony is close to Ramiro and his wife, Joan. The Romos often play golf together ever since Tony took up the sport in grade school and the father and son talk often on the phone. Tony has been known to call his parents two or three times during a round of golf with friends in Dallas.

"Tony and his dad, they really have a good relationship," tight end Jason Witten told the Dallas Morning News. "I don't think he wants Tony to think a lot about it or want him losing his concentration. But they're best friends, so that makes it harder."

Romo, 27, was quick to point out that his father's news played no role in his six-turnover performance in Monday's 25-24 win over Buffalo. He found out about his father's cancer a few days after the Cowboys' 34-10 win against the Bears on Sept. 23. He then helped lead the Cowboys to a 35-7 win over St. Louis the following Sunday.

Sources indicate that doctors anticipate a speedy recovery for Ramiro, given that the cancer was detected early and the fact he's in excellent physical condition.

Romo's 13 touchdown passes lead the NFC and he set a team record agains the Bills with his fourth 300-yard passing game. Sunday's game against the 5-0 New England Patriots could provide a Super Bowl preview.

Romo's parents are both expected to attend Sunday's Patriots-Cowboys game in Dallas.

ESPN.com NFL writer Matt Mosley contributed to this report.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 10-12-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #672
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Alby, time to start the GDT.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #673
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

yes
Old 10-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #674
chumdawg
Guru

Where in THE EFF is Alby?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #675
alby
Guru

I'm here I'm here

Contact Me
Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM   #676
ty
Diamond Member

WTF you doing Alby--make the new GDT =P