Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #1841
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Damn.

The Stars are getting taken out behind the woodshed.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-19-2008 at 07:50 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #1842
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Shorthanded. Wow. What a sad way to go out.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #1843
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, if the NHL is anything like the Mighty Ducks movies.... we'll be back in this game in no time.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #1844
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Flacos sports pants are grumpy and want to go home now.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #1845
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

So, this season is over - Flac, what can this team do to significantly improve? Any huge offseason signing on the horizon? Regroup and try again with this team? Retirements? What be da deal man...

Great run Dallas - you GREATLY exceeded my expectations and it was a helluva run.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #1846
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

you can't get four until you get one.

make 'em sweat some....
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #1847
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Flacos sports pants are appreciative.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #1848
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Aww. I'm sad. Not devastated like years previous, but still sad. I guess a little part of me was hoping for a miracle after all.

Well, I'm glad they made it a series. I still just think that they maybe just weren't quite ready. But they're getting closer, can't you feel it? The expectations are much higher now. But I said at the beginning of the season, the goal this year was to get past the first round & they did it. So it was a good year. And they still have all those kids, hopefully ready to make the jump. They've got Ribs+Morrow, Richards & Mo & Turco. The future doesn't suck at all. It actually looks pretty bright. This is a team I can be excited about for a long time. Which is why I'm sad, but I'm still happy about this year.

Thanks for the hope, boys.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #1849
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Well, I'm really not sad. I'm very very proud.

God, did we need this, as DFW sports fans.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #1850
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very proud of our boys. Great playoff run for a 5 seed that came into the playoffs on an absolutely terrible downturn.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #1851
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well friends....that as they say, is that.

2-9 in March.

And then 18 playoffs games. Not too shabby. 10 wins, 3 handshakes on home ice. 2 of them good.

No lehtinen, Boucher, or Barnes. In the coming days you might learn the full extent of Morrows injury....I suspect Norstrum is nursing something we may find out about. Perhaps Zubov, and others.

I don't know...it was fun. It's a good step. Good for guys like Grossman and Niskanen and Fistric. Teams need to have these runs to learn, and hopefully they can break through some time in the next 2 to 3 years.

This current concoction that Detroit has out there has had some deep runs in the last few years, but this is the first Datsyuk/Zetterberg led team to get to the Finals. We hope the Stars will do the same...some 2nd and 3rd round appearances. I guess the bar has officially been raised.

But what happens next season? As many positves as you have going forward (Ribs/ Morrow/ Richards/ Turco/ Young d-men) you also have huge questions marks (Modano, Zubov, Boucher, Lehtinen, Stu Barnes ) so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Zubov looked like a shell of himself in this series. His legs can't keep up with his brain right now. Personally I'd like to chain him to his bed this off-season and tell him to get some damn rest. I hope he can contribute next year.

Several "Will Mike Modano retire" stories will be written in the coming days, and ultimately I think he'll play one more year.

Stu Barnes...I'd love to have him back, but he may decide that's all for him. I hope they can sign him to the front office in some capacity if that's the case.

Like I said, 2-9 in March, this was unlooked for and unexpected. This team knows now what it can do. Should the two headed Hull/Jackson monster keep its job, they have a busy and pleasantly shorter off-season to get to.

I am pleased, and as windy said, appreciative.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #1852
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Great season, fellas.

We are proud of you.

Go Stars.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #1853
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

This was a great run!!!

We got to see some huge monkee's lifted off of Turco's shoulders, now we can see one last monkee...the one of great expectations get lifted in the coming years.

We have some good to great youth that has now gained some serious experience...next year, this will be the team of cagey veterans...sprinkled in with youth.

How will the new Sweed fit in?

I must say, that I am walking way this off-season truly proud of one of the teams in the AAC and enough so that I may actually spend the money on some type of Season Ticket package for next year and the Dallas Stars!!!

I tip my hat to this year and tip my glass to the hope of 2008/2009 Dallas Stars!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #1854
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
No lehtinen, Boucher, or Barnes. In the coming days you might learn the full extent of Morrows injury....I suspect Norstrum is nursing something we may find out about. Perhaps Zubov, and others.
And sure enough....
Quote:
Tippett talks about Morrow, Norstrom injuries
11:27 PM Mon, May 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brandon George E-mail News tips

Stars coach Dave Tippett said after Game 6 against the Red Wings in the Western Conference finals that captain Brenden Morrow "hasn't been the same since the last San Jose game."

"He's basically played on one leg since then," Tippett said. "The shoulder injury, I'm not sure where that's going to get to, but there's a small tear in his shoulder."

Tippett also said defenseman Mattias Norstrom, one of the Stars' seven key unrestricted free agents this off-season, battled a sports hernia throughout the entire 18 games of the playoffs.

"It's phenomenal he can get through that," Tippett said.

"That's the grind of the playoffs. It is so hard. Like I say, the commitment that these players put forth is just phenomenal. Until you've been in that dressing room, seeing guys that after a game, they have a hard time moving their leg or moving their elbow, their shoulder doesn't work, and the next day they show up and say, 'When do we play again?' That's what makes our game great."
Ouch. Could be more to come as the lockers get cleaned out.

You wonder, if guys are playing on one leg, torn shoulders, hernias... how bad is Lehtinen really? Boucher? Must be pretty bad. Some of these guys would have to be dead before they're held out.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-20-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #1855
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

any rumors about brad richards injuries? matt mosely on 1033 espn said a few days ago that we'd probably be hearing about richards after the season was over.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #1856
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Someone on 103.3 mentioned hockey?

I haven't heard about Richards. Maybe we will.

These guys were a bunch of warriors. Maybe playing the Ducks did take a physical toll on them in the long run. The Sharks are all huge as well. We probably went through 2 of the top 3 or 4 physical teams in the league to get to the #1 team in the league...

What a tough road.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #1857
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ugh.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #1858
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Playing hockey with a sports hernia. Holy crap.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #1859
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

=( Man that looks sad. They should be proud of how they played though.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #1860
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Playing hockey with a sports hernia. Holy crap.
After the Stars won the cup it came out that Brett Hull had pulled both of his hamstrings and Mike Modano had a broken bone in his arm.

I don't know why hockey is the sport where guys do that. Where super stars, and their futures are perfectly acceptable risks to coaches.

It's not like other guys in other sports don't want to do it. Look at Dirk in that game 6 against the Spurs way back when. Why wasn't he playing? Dirk is a warrior just like all of these guys are.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #1861
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

well when can we start a stars off season thread where we use our vast sports knowledge to tell everyone else what this team needs to win it all next year?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #1862
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

"vast sports knowledge" ?

Maybe you.... but I thought you guys knew I was a blithering drunk

If an off-season thread is demanded, then let what must be done, be done!