Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don Haskins, Hall of Fame UTEP coach dies

Legendary UTEP coach, Haskins, passes away at age 78
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...vals&type=lgns

By Herman Rojas, MinerDigs.net Staff Writer Sep 7, 11:34 pm EDT

Don Haskins, the popular and most successful men’s basketball coach in UTEP history, passed away Sunday afternoon at the age of 78.

Haskins had been dealing with numerous physical ailments, most notably with diabetes. He had had a number of procedures done over the last few years, including foot surgery related to his diabetes as well as heart surgery.

“My thoughts and prayers go out to Mary and the Haskins family,” UTEP head coach Tony Barbee said. “We are losing a national treasure. I am very fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know him over the last two years. The information he shared with me was invaluable to a first-time head coach. He is a Hall of Fame coach and a Hall of Fame person. It’s sad to think that we’re losing someone so special to this community and this university, and a national hero at the same time.”

In his 38 years at the bench for the Miners, Haskins single-handedly rewrote the program record books. He accepted the coaching position at then Texas Western College in 1962 and coached at the El Paso university until his retirement in 1999.

“It is a very sad time for all of us,” UTEP Athletic Director Bob Stull said. “Don is an icon of El Paso. He has had a huge impact on the city and the University of Texas at El Paso. Since his retirement, he has remained very interested in our entire athletic program and supportive of all of our coaches. He has been an invaluable resource to everybody in the athletic department. He remains one of the most revered and honored coaches in basketball history.”

Haskins finished his career with a record of 719-354 and led his Miner teams to the postseason 21 times, including 14 NCAA tournament appearances. He also won seven Western Athletic Conference titles. Heading into the 2007-08 season, Haskins ranked as the 19th winningest Division I coach of all time. In 1997, Don Haskins was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

“The Bear’s” most memorable achievement was leading the Miners to the 1966 NCAA National Championship, which to this day remains the only Division I basketball national championship in the state of Texas. That team finished with a 28-1 record en route to the championship. That ‘66 team was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007.

He made history in the championship game by starting five African-American players against Adolph Rupp’s all white Kentucky Wildcat team. It was the first time in a championship game that it had occurred. The Miners went on to pull off the upset and defeated the Wildcats in that game 72-65.

That 1966 championship team was the inspiration for the 2006 Disney film “Glory Road.” The movie won an ESPY award that same year for Best Sports Movie and was nominated for Humanitas Prize and Black Reel Awards.

“His decision to start five black players in the 1966 national championship game, as chronicled in the movie Glory Road, changed college basketball and the sports world,” Stull said. “He will always be remembered for that.”
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Take a ride down Glory Road, my man. You will be missed.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, chum..that deserves a rim shot. Norm would be proud.

His passing is definitely a kick in the nuts..just getting ready for bed and I read this?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys realize this happened over a month ago?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
You guys realize this happened over a month ago?
Yes, but that doesn't mean that I knew about it... Sometimes I miss a scroll on ESPN.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote