Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expanded instant replay approved for upcoming season

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The NBA's Board of Governors has approved the expanded use of instant replay for this season.

Referees will be allowed to review video to determine if a field goal was a 2- or 3-point attempt, or to decide if a shooting foul was committed behind the arc and warrants three shots instead of two.

"I can see at the end of the game that's a really important aspect," Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Thursday night before an exhibition game against Charlotte.

"We've been playing with the 3-point line, what, 30 years? There are mistakes that happen, and there are 2-pointers that are missed. But that's also part of the game. Guys step on the out of bounds line, guys are in the 3-second lane too long, guys hang on the rim -- there are a lot of things like that."

At their meeting Thursday, owners also approved the use of replay if the game clock malfunctions in the final seconds of a quarter of overtime, helping the officials better determine how much time should have come off the clock or if the period should have ended.

Now, refs must reconstruct the play and make that determination without video -- a rule that was criticized following a clock problem during an Orlando-Detroit playoff game last season.

"The mechanics of it is always interesting, how that's going to work out," Jackson said. "I think football's been caught in a dilemma where they end up having situations that have extended their games perhaps 15 extra minutes. I'm sure ours is going to be fraught with typical details.

"The wording itself is kind of interesting. A special guy has to sit there now who's provided by the club. He's going to call back to the truck and he has to announce what's happening. The referee has to have a signal, and then they have to be able to do it during a timeout situation."
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've always been a big proponent of allowing more reviews of plays, I just hope it doesn't muck up the flow too much. With so many free throws though, there really isn't much of a flow I guess as is.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea of limited replay - it looks like this mainly covers "exceptions to the rules" and shouldn't come up very often or interrupt game-flow (it's better than replaying a game due to clock/ref errors...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-24-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

^ I'm ok with Feenana sticking around
Old 10-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Considering this could have been what got the Magic to the Eastern Conference Finals.. I approve.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote