Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all
Default Texas Rangers 05!

Didn't see a topic for this and they open their season today so.

Anyways I think the Rangers squeak into the playoffs this year with 93-98 wins. Their core in the infield and the bullpen is returning but they will have better starting pitching, CF and DH play this year. Predictions on the Rangers season?
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Texas Rangers 05!

Ok, yeah. So I find the entire Rangers' offseason puzzling in that they made no positive movements whatsoever & basically, they're waiting around for the youth movement to kick in. That doesn't stop me from being really excited about baseball season.

I'm going to say around 85 wins...optimistically 2nd in the West, but just miss the playoff b/c I don't see the Yankee or BoSox not getting in.

LET'S GO RANGERS!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice
Default RE: Texas Rangers 05!

The '05 Rangers did not learn from the '04 Cowboys. They just sat tight in the offseason when other teams pulled the big moves... and we are gonna pay for it this season. Back to the AL West basement with 70 wins. The Angels, As and Ms have too much talent.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Ames is closer. I say around 80 wins... with our starting pitching we'll be lucky to stay a .500 team.

Mark Texiera finishes third in the MVP voting.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

IMO:

Soriano is traded by June and Kinsler takes over at 2nd.
Chris Young gets 15 wins in a great year for him.
Young, Blalock, Texiera are all-stars
Mench gets 30HR
Hidalgo will struggle

Rangers get 88 wins, 3rd behind the Angels and the Mariners.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I think we have a better team then last season but that we wont win as many games. I think about 80-82 wins.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:56 AM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Well...didn't start off well. We left a lot of runners in scoring position through the first few innings that really cost us the game. Drese looked very good, only made 3 or 4 bad pitches all night. They just caught up with him.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I agree, Drese was for the most part very solid. Colon hung in there a lot longer than I thought he would, considering how his pitch count was going, & he managed to get better as the game went along. Man, Hidalgo looked terrible. And we stranded a small colony.

Positives though... Hank & Dellucci each took 3 walks & Teixiera is making my fantasy team look good.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7

Positives though... Hank & Dellucci each took 3 walks.
That was definitely good to see, especially for Hank.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

If you happen to be frugal and/or poor, like myself, you might find this information helpful. (If not, then screw you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Quote:

Hot Ticket Time
From the top of the second inning until middle of the third during each Rangers broadcast, the Rangers will conduct Hot Ticket Time. Tickets in the FOX BOX (Section 215) will be only $10 for a designated upcoming Rangers game. Discount is available at texasrangers.com or via 817.273.5100. In-park Hot Ticket Time will be conducted during the fourth inning - visit box office or call 817.273.5100.

RaceTrac Rangers Family Pack & Parking Coupons
DFW RaceTrac locations will feature POS including coupons for RaceTrac Rangers Family Packs and $2 off Sun-Thurs parking. RaceTrac Rangers Family Packs include four tickets, four Jumbo hot dogs, and four 24-ounce soft drinks for one low price (additional person discounts available). Three seating options are available:
Upper Reserved Tickets - $55 (savings of $26, 32%)
Lower Reserved Tickets - $77 (savings of $40, 34%)
Corner Box Tickets - $99 (savings of $40, 29%)

Family Packs may be purchased with RaceTrac coupons at Ameriquest Field, by calling 817.273.5100, or by clicking below. Offers are valid for Texas Rangers regular-season home games excluding April 11 & 30, May 20-21, and July 4, 18-20. Subject to availability. Some restrictions apply.

$5 Tuesdays
All upper level tickets for Tuesday home games (excluding July 19) will be $5 when the sponsor coupon is presented at Ameriquest Field or the coupon code is entered at texasrangers.com. During April and May coupons are available at participating Chick-fil-A locations.

Ozarka Website Wednesdays
Tickets for Wednesday home games (excluding July 20) are half price in Upper Reserved, Upper Home Run Porch, Upper Box, Lower Reserved and Terrace Box sections. To redeem this offer, you must purchase tickets online at texasrangers.com.

Borden $10 Thursdays
During the 2005 season, Borden milk cartons will feature a Rangers coupon redeemable for $10 Corner Box or Lower Reserved tickets to any regular-season Thursday home game. Offer is available by presenting the Borden coupon at Ameriquest Field or entering the coupon code at texasrangers.com.

Dr Pepper Cans
During April and May 2005, any Dr Pepper or Diet Dr Pepper can may be redeemed at Ameriquest Field in Arlington or the can's coupon code entered on texasrangers.com to purchase half-price tickets in Upper Box, Upper Home Run Porch, Upper Reserved, or Lower Reserved seats. Offer is valid for Texas Rangers home games in April and May 2005, excluding April 11 & 30 and May 20-21, subject to availability. Some restrictions apply.

Brookshire's Half-Price Sundays
When Brookshire's customers show their "Thank You" card at a Texas Rangers box office they may purchase up to four upper level tickets to any Sunday Rangers home game at half price (based on availability).

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I think I'm going to break down and buy MLB.TV for the month so then I have some Rangers in me before the summer.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #12
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Nice game in LA tonite, though hopefully Rogers isn't injured too badly.

Buck used the bullpen like it was an NL game!
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:39 AM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

The postgame show lastnight said that Roger's injury wasn't bad.

Cordero almost cost us a win last night. Thank goodness for Soriano. Hidalgo deserves some credit for having a GREAT game too.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
The postgame show lastnight said that Roger's injury wasn't bad.

Cordero almost cost us a win last night. Thank goodness for Soriano. Hidalgo deserves some credit for having a GREAT game too.
thank goodness for soriano???? i guess you didnt watch the game. He got an error on a ball thrown from blalock that could have turned 2 and ended the game and even if he didnt turn two it would have taken the runner out of scoring postition
Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It was the 8th inning, not the 9th inning during which Soriano booted that double play ball. No one scored in that inning, so no harm no foul. In fact, every run the Angels scored last night was earned.

I guess you would have known that if you had actually "watched the game".
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #16
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

I love the attitude of the young bucks on the Rangers. Off hand, I don't even know all of their names, but they seem like the most straight forward, good group of guys in all of baseball. Definitely easy to root for this team.

Before the beginning of last season, I was telling a few of my friends, die-hard redsox fans, that the redsox and yankees better watch out for the "young bucks" on the rangers. They were laughing at me like, "yeah..sure." And admittedly, I was kind of joking around, but I just had this feeling that this group without A-Rod might start turning it around. I was looking at the roster, and I said to myself, "Wow these guys are all so young and they've been playing with eachother for what seemed like a long time. There is no way this team won't start turning the corner sooner or later." I admit I haven't followed baseball that closely since the Three amigos and Nolan Ryan days, but man oh man, I just have a good feeling about this team. Go Rangers!

edit: I must be watching too much Mavericks. I don't know where that "man oh man" could have originated from other than our own Bob Ortegal!
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #17
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Rangers battle back to take the lead in the 5th, 4-3. Sure enough, RA Dickey comes in and immediately gives up a 3 run homer. You suck Dick...ey.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:12 AM   #18
ames7
Diamond Member

Tough tough loss. Those 2 strikeouts w/runners at first & third & no one out was such a wasted opportunity, to only get the one run out of it, especially w/the bullpen that depleted.

Oh well. 3 pretty good games to start off the season though.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

so far so good....the angels will be one of the best teams in the league....and our little Rangers stood strong at their park.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #20
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

We were horrible with RISP this series. Once we start converting we'll be great. The pitching this series was very good, IMO. Some brainfart innings, but overall, you couldn't ask for much more.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #21
mary
Troll Hunter

And tonight....we get the "Ho" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #22
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
And tonight....we get the "Ho" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Just say NO, to Ho.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I've never cheered harder for a "Ho" to suceed in my life!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #24
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Tough loss last night but a good effort to come back in to the game multiple times. Hopefully the Ho gets at least 11 wins this year so we'll have a good shot at the playoffs. Also Soriano's off to a hot start, maybe he’ll have a HUGE(MVP type) season like he’s capable off.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #25
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Hidalgo's doing pretty good, too. Just hit a big 2 run double in the 1st tonight. I'm liking that signing more and more.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:12 AM   #26
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, Regilio blows. Totally blew the game for us, but only half of it was his fault. Why the F did Buck leave him in for so long? Sheesh.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #27
sike
The Preacha

yuck.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Season's over.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #29
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Early on, it looks like one of last seasons biggest strengths, is this seasons biggest weakness. The bullpen [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] .

Old 04-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: LonestarROB
Early on, it looks like one of last seasons biggest strengths, is this seasons biggest weakness. The bullpen [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] .
still missing a couple guys....so hold the horses there Bobby.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #31
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Add one more blown lead to the bullpen. Kudos to Pedro though, he pitched fantasitc.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #32
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Hildago came up huge. Looking like a great addition
Old 04-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #33
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I expect big things from him.

Good win and great comeback. Dont let it over shadow another blown lead by the bullpen though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . Win tomorrow and we come home 3-3. I'll take that, considering.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #34
ames7
Diamond Member

Astacio exceeded all my expectations (doesn't matter that I didn't have any). Will be nice when we get more of the bullpen back. Good comeback though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #35
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Had to TIVO the game and it cut the game off RIGHT after Hidalgo's home run cleared the fence. I can't believe we actually won this game! The bullpen BLOWS right now. They are horrible. Good win for the good guys, though.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:22 AM   #36
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

The Hidalgo signing is looking great, and Sandy had a big game as well.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:33 AM   #37
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I think The current Rangers infield easily compares with the super infield the Athletics had a few years ago. It will be much easier to find a few cheap veteran outfielders with some pop than it will to find infielders of the quality the Rangers currently possess. If we could produce one elite quality pitcher for once....just.....one, I could really get into this team.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #38
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
If we could produce one elite quality pitcher for once....just.....one, I could really get into this team.
... most ranger fans know all too well... that's a 20 year long if.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:47 AM   #39
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: #1MavsFan
The Hidalgo signing is looking great, and Sandy had a big game as well.

Except they settled for a 1 year deal. This amounts to nothing more than a 1 year tour at the cozy ballpark to drive his value up so that he can get mega bucks and a long term contract with someone else. It makes me sick to think about this.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #40
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Another close one today, But the good guys won. 7-6. Delucci went yard to put the Rangers up