Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 08-30-2005, 11:03 PM   #401
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Texas Rangers 05!

Buehrle is a retard. He made similar allegations against the Cubs pitchers earlier in the year. In his feeble mind I suppose the only way he could lose was by cheating. Certainly it has nothing to do with the fact that he was tossing softballs down the middle of the plate to major league hitters. No....it couldn't have been that.

Best Damn was ripping him earlier.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #402
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Texas Rangers 05!

Watched the Volquez start yesterday. Was the second time i had seen him pitch.(Double a all star game) His line wasnt great or even good 4.2 ip 5 er but he flashed alot. The konerko at bat showed everything that makes him exciting as a pitcher. That change up he struck him out on was incredible. It has depth on it that most changes dont have. Most changeups go straight down i would love to know the grip he uses to make it break away from right handed hitters. Circle change is the only grip i know of that can gewt that movement but i dont think he throws a circle change. If he can throw it for strikes he will only need a 3rd pitch as a token. His slider looked decent but needs work. He only needs to get it to average. Still rank him second out of the dvd pitchers but he will be a pitcher. Remember that in the 5th he gave up an infield hit, a dp ball that only got through because of hit and run, a line out, a k a soft liner, and then was pulled. If he gets those soft outs then he goes 5 and gives up 3 runs and we are all singing his praises. About Wilson he will be good eventually. I remember when Kenny was young being at a game and kenny coming in. the guys sitting behind us said well there goes the game and left. He turned out ok. Wilson has better stuff than kenny did. kenny threw harder but wilson has good breaking pitches and kenny didnt. The rangers cant get sucked into the well we'll just let our young pitchers pitch and not sign any free agents. You can never have two many arms and it wont hurt any of the kids to pitch some out of the bullpen. Btw i have seen people project CY as a #2 next year. We may have a #2 but it isnt Cy. The only person capable of being a #2 next year currently on the rangers is Dominguez. I dont want to count on him for that though because though i think that pitching wise very few have better stuff, it will be a couple of years before I trust him because of his past.

Alll in all if we go into next year with a rotation of
Burnett
Rogers
Young
Dominguez
Loe/ric rod/ Cj wilson

I wont be that upset. We have a problem at the 5th pitcher but who doesnt? I think that Loe is better in the pen but a pen with Cordero, Benoit- he is great in the pen, FF, for late innings (I know FF wont be back at the begining) With some other arms left over from the starters and youngsters will be ok. We need a leadoff guy. I would go after one trade that probably wouldnt be made and will get me razzed on here but I would trade Tex I love him but he cant pitch for Peavy. Dont think Padres would do it but I go to them and ask.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:33 PM   #403
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

That Konerko at-bat was magnificent, I mean I actually pumped my fist when he won that battle. From everything I've read about this kid's attitude, I think it isn't a bad move bringing him up. Let him get the experience, I don't think you'll ruin him. You could tell he settled down after the first couple of innings. I was encouraged, but that doesn't mean I necessarily support penciling him into the rotation for next year already. I still think the best thing for him is to get the full year at triple-A first.

BTW, something pretty cool that the Rangers & Dellucci are doing, from the FWST today:
Quote:
The Rangers are donating $10,000 to relief efforts in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Baton Rouge native David Dellucci is also donating $5,000 to the southeast chapter of the American Red Cross and will autograph baseballs to be auctioned during Rangers games starting today, with proceeds benefiting the Red Cross. The Rangers also announced they would give away tickets to their remaining home games to people displaced by the storm.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:46 PM   #404
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that I wouldnt throw him into the rotation just yet unless he goes on a king felix like tear which i dont see happening. I would like to see him do well in triple a next year and then be put in the bullpen at about the as break next year kinda like loe this year. Then the next year i would try to move him to the rotation. He would be what 23 then? Still very young. Any takers on the tex for peavy idea?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #405
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see two of the following 5 step up and 'claim' a spot in the rotation next year with what they do to end the season: RicRod, Benoit, Dominguez, Loe, and even Volquez. I don't know that RicRod will be the guy. He appears to have the worst 'stuff' of the bunch. At best, I see him as a #4-5 guy..probably closer to #5. Benoit, Dominguez, Loe and Volquez all have a good enough #1 pitch to be #3 or better in the rotation. But, as we've seen with Benoit, just because you have the stuff doesn't mean that you can consistently use it.

I know that alot of people have wanted to see Benoit back in the pen, but I'm not ready to give up on him as a starter. I'd like to see at least a couple more starts to see how he bounces back from a rough outing. His offspeed has wicked movement.

As for Dominguez, only a mental collapse of epic proportions will keep this guy out of the rotation in my opinion. He has the best stuff of any of the young pitchers that I've seen. I know that the Buck/Hart combo doesn't like him, but if they have a problem with a guy with that kind of stuff that looks like he might be on the path to succeeding...then get Buck and Hart out of here.

With Loe, the guy is a pitcher. His biggest issue is that he doesn't consistently have the third pitch and doesn't consistently keep his sinker down. But, it's not like he's spent his entire career throwing a sinker. So, with time, I'm confident that he can consistently locate it better. If so, he can be a very, very good starter in the majors. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE how good this guy can be. His sinker has a chance to be one of if not the dominant sinker in the game. The bottom drops out of it while sometimes moving in to left handed hitters. At 92-93 MPH, that can be a very, very difficult pitch to hit.

I don't know alot about Volquez, and I missed the game. So, I'll leave it to others to comment on him. But, he appears to be the a bit ahead of Danks and Diamond at this point. So, hopefully he can step it up and earn a rotation spot in spring training.

My predictions:

Young
Dominguez
Loe
and two starters to be named later...possibly one via free agency or trade (if Soriano is moved).... possibly Kenny Rogers (although I have no problem with him not being a Ranger next year)...

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers using Benoit, Volquez and possibly Wilson in the pen next year. Anyone remember the Twins using Santana in the pen before moving him into the rotation? It might not be a bad idea to get his feet wet in the majors out of the pen, but that's just my humble opinion. Perhaps after a month or two in the minors next year, he can be moved up into the pen or to the rotation.

As for Wilson, I like the kids arm and I like the kids stuff. Obviously, something is wrong when you look at his ERA. Location! How many times have you seen a left handed hitter drive a 93mph fastball 400 feet when the pitch was down and in? Yet, Rangers announcers act as if throwing that pitch to a lefty is actually a good pitch. Sure, it is on some, but that is in general the sweet spot for left handed hitters. Yes, you might put the ball slightly out of the strike zone (low) on the edge of the inside part of the plate, but that is not a good place to throw to lefties. You have to either get the ball under their hands, up and in, or to some other part of the plate (if it's a fastball). Obviously, something other than a fastball way down and in is a different story, but I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. Get the ball under their hands, up and in, or away from the hitter....especially at TBiA.

Oh well...baby arm
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:24 PM   #406
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I have heard the Hank-for-Peavy thing brought up on the Rangers boards a few times & as much as I love Hank, no question I would do that, considering Hank's troubling road stats & continued issues vs lefties. The Padres probably wouldn't go for that, but I think maybe they would do it for Tex. Everyone can see he's going to be very very good for a very very long time & frankly, given the way he feels about the management & the (lack of) direction of this team as well as Tom Hicks' new "financial flexibility" spending philosophy, I am not confident in the least that we'll be able to keep him. It's horrifying to think we might lose him for nothing. Nobody wants to think about this, but I think we have to consider the possibility that it might make the most sense to trade Tex sooner rather than let him get away later. (It pisses me off that we even have to talk about this.)

Did anyone see Scott Feldman's major league debut today? Scoreless ninth w/2 Ks. Good velocity on that sidearm delivery, very impressive. Hopefully we'll get to see a lot more of him before the end of the season. Only thing worth watching for now are these young pitchers, & they have been fun to watch.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #407
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would make that Blalock trade as well.... But, with regards to his stats, he's still only 25. He isn't in his prime and he's already been a 2 time all-star. I'd like to see him cut back on his mammoth swings a bit, ...this might drop his HR's to 20-25 but might raise his BA to around .300 or so.

...and you're right, ...SD wouldn't make that trade.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:20 PM   #408
Drbio
Banned

On the deadline to acquire players who would be eligible for post-season
play, San Diego, sitting atop the NL West, has traded 19-year-old
righthander Juan Jimenez to Texas for 34-year-old Oklahoma infielder Manny
Alexander. With AAA Portland a few days from having its season end, the
Padres must have acquired Alexander in order to put him on the active
roster.

More in the next Newberg Report on Jimenez, who went 4-4, 3.86 in 13 Arizona
League starts this year, with 67 strikeouts and 18 walks in 79.1 innings,
before making one Northwest League relief appearance on Saturday. He was
5-4, 2.92 in two seasons (spent mostly in the Dominican Summer League)
coming into 2005.

FROM NEWBERG....
Old 08-31-2005, 10:22 PM   #409
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Murph...intriguing, your comments about location to a left-handed hitter. I'm left-handed myself, and in my softball days anyway, I swung a pretty mean bat. Now, obviously, softball is miles away from baseball. But I've always been intrigued by discussion about differences in swings from one side of the plate to the other. I've never given any thought to the questions of location you have raised here. Is it primarily because of the way ballparks are often shorter in right field? I don't really get it.

But one thing I *have* given thought to is the belief there seems to be that lefties have "prettier" swings than righties. Logically, I can think of no reason why this would be the case.

Sorry to hijack this thread, if I have, but I have always been curious about the differences--if there are any--between left-handed and right-handed hitters.

Of course, other than the fact that lefties are smarter than righties, which we all know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 PM   #410
Drbio
Banned

Everyone is born left handed....only the greatest can overcome it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #411
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Murph...intriguing, your comments about location to a left-handed hitter. I'm left-handed myself, and in my softball days anyway, I swung a pretty mean bat. Now, obviously, softball is miles away from baseball. But I've always been intrigued by discussion about differences in swings from one side of the plate to the other. I've never given any thought to the questions of location you have raised here. Is it primarily because of the way ballparks are often shorter in right field? I don't really get it.

But one thing I *have* given thought to is the belief there seems to be that lefties have "prettier" swings than righties. Logically, I can think of no reason why this would be the case.

Sorry to hijack this thread, if I have, but I have always been curious about the differences--if there are any--between left-handed and right-handed hitters.

Of course, other than the fact that lefties are smarter than righties, which we all know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I don't know that there's really any anatomical difference that would cause a most lefties to be lowball hitters, but most are. Yes, I know it's a generalization, but it fits. Perhaps enjoying the inside pitch does have something to do with parks...Just in the AL alone, you have extremely short porches in Texas, Boston, and NY. NY's is borderline ridiculous.

But, that doesn't answer why lefties enjoy the low ball more than righties. The only things that I can think of is that it's probably a difference caused by the pitching that they face growing up. Perhaps the low ball is just easier to drive for a lefty coming from a right handed pitcher. The majority of the pitchers that you face growing up are right handed...this holds true even in the majors. So, perhaps it even has something to do with the way a fastball would come in to a left handed hitter from a right handed pitcher... It might be easier to hit down and in as compared to a righty hitting off of a righty.... It might even have something to do with the look that the batter gets. As a switch hitter, I know that it can be a little more difficult to pull the trigger on the inside pitch as a righty coming from a righty as opposed to a lefty hitting off of a righty. You get a very good look at the pitch as a lefty. As a righty pitching to a righty, it's easier to run the ball in onto their hands. You cut the fastball to get that little extra movement that'll make a decent pitch to a righty end up turning into a jam shot.

Hey, it's just a few ideas, but I'm sure all of it plays some role. As a righty, if you have a short and compact swing, it'll definitely allow you to turn on the inside pitch a little more. Watch Kevin Mench. It helps having short arms as well. You'd be amazed at the holes on the inner part of some of the right handed hitters swings that is caused in part because of arm length.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #412
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are on to something when you mention the right-handed pitching that lefties face. The reason that lefties are perceived as having a prettier swing is probably down to the fact they face more pitches from the other side. When a rightie pitches them inside, it is awfully inviting to turn on that ball. It's moving in that direction as it is.

Of course, that still won't explain the beautiful mechanics that lefties display. And Doc, please. If only the most gifted were able to overcome to obstacle, then the great unwashed wouldn't be on your side. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #413
ames7
Diamond Member

The Royals just now broke up JuanDom's no-hitter...in the seventh. *whistles*
Old 09-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #414
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to take a moment to acknowledge the total effing awesomeness and badassness (new words!) of Michael Young...and to bring this thread back to page 1.

The boys have gone 14-6 in the last 20, and have pulled within a game of .500, and have actually been playing some entertaining games lately.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #415
Five-ofan
Guru

Who woulda thought we would still have the best ss in baseball after we traded Arod? Btw on a baseball note if Ortiz wins the mvp it will be the worst screwing of someone who truly deserved the mvp since the last time arod got screwed.(The year Juan won bcus the seattle writers voted for griffey) Mvp is not most valuable hitter but if it was Arod is having a better year hitting than Ortiz. Not to mention the fact that he will probably win a gold glove at 3rd and is a dang good baserunner with alot of speed. BTW why do peoples steals numbers go in the tank when they get here? Arod had 40 before he got here and then around 10 a year while he was here now hes back in the 20s. Fonzie had 40s before he got here and is in the 20s now. Is it all the fact that we just dont run because we have power hitters? Or could it be partially due to the heat? It takes energy to try to steal and when its 102 and we keep playing day games for no good reason it would be pretty tiring to steal.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #416
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

The 9th last night was sweet....w/o that high throw and he was dead to rights.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote