Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Report: Hornets to play games in Oklahoma City

Associated Press
Posted: 8 hours ago

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Oklahoma City officials are drafting a proposed lease agreement that will bring the NBA's New Orleans Hornets to the Ford Center to play at least part of their 41-game home schedule.

An announcement is scheduled as early as Monday on plans to temporarily relocate the Hornets to Oklahoma City after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, making it unfeasible for the team to play its season, which starts in November, in its hometown.

It is still not known how many games, if any, might be played in Louisiana. The Times-Picayune reported Sunday the team would establish most of their base operations in Oklahoma City, but would also keep a smaller office in either New Orleans or Baton Rouge.

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said the number of games to be played in Louisiana will be decided by the NBA and Louisiana authorities.

Cornett said a city council meeting will be scheduled Wednesday morning to review the proposed contract. He said he is not sure the public will have a chance to review it beforehand.

"We're calling a council meeting as soon as we can," Cornett told The Associated Press late Sunday. "Everything is going well, but we still have a few details to work out."

NBA representatives toured the Ford Center, which seats 19,675 when configured for basketball games, and met with Oklahoma City officials on Sept. 9.

"If the games can't be played in Louisiana for whatever reason, I'm anxious for Oklahoma City to have a chance to prove that it's a major league market," Cornett said.

Cornett previously said the agreement will include some expenses the city and state will be asked share as part of the move.

If the team moves to Oklahoma City, it is expected to relocate 100 employees from Louisiana and also hire 50 people locally to do a "rapid ramp-up" of telemarketing and ticket sales promotions.

Combined with the players, the team would bring an approximate $50 million payroll to the state - an incentive, Cornett told The Oklahoman, for the state to share in providing support for the team's expenses.

Rep. Joe Dorman, D-Rush Springs, has said he plans to file legislation that would provide state money to the city to help pay for the teams relocation costs.

"This is not just a good thing for Oklahoma City to host this team while their facilities are rebuilt," Dorman said in a statement. "It also is a promotion for the entire state with teams and fans that would travel here for games and, in turn, a strong boost to our economy."

Oklahoma City is not the only city that has offered the team a temporary home. Others include Nashville, San Diego, Kansas City, Louisville and Las Vegas.

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Report: Hornets to play games in Oklahoma City

To the Mavs fans in OKC ......

Does this mean the steady diet of Mavs games that are on TV there now would be blacked
out if the Hornets are playing???

And for Mav old timers .......

Didn't the Mav's play an exhibition game in OKC once?

Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

Do the OKC Hornets then become trade rumor fodder for Najera?

ALSO....

If the OU Coach has a good year does he become the front runner for their head Coach

(GEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ I'm REALLY ready for the season to begin.)

does responding to your own posts count as post padding

Old 09-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mavs used to travel all over the region to paly exhibition games. I saw a couple of games in Waco, but I don't know about OKC. It's possible though.

FWIW, I was on the coast this weekend and the buzz was that the Hornets going to OKC was a done deal. The blackout rules and all will be interesting to see how they play out. I would imagine that the NBA would impose the restrictions. However, I can see them them relaxing them as well since this is such an odd situation and the league wants this team to build support. The Hornets may never play another game in New Orleans again.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

with the number of fans that show up to Hornets games, they could play at most 3A high schools.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:00 AM   #6
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I'll go to the Mavs games for sure, and I'll probably check out the other big teams if I can get cheap tickets.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
I'll go to the Mavs games for sure, and I'll probably check out the other big teams if I can get cheap tickets.
what?!!....I thought this traitor was banned!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

the hornets in OKC. put some benny hill music behind it and you have a good bloopers reel.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:07 AM   #9
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
what?!!....I thought this traitor was banned!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I thought I was just banned from Cowboy threads. If I must leave the board, I will. But you know you'll miss me.

[img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

you better hope that redskins game doesn't come back and bite us in the ass later in the season... that's all i can say

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

The Mavericks' two road games against the New Orleans Hornets will be
played in Oklahoma City, the NBA announced on Wednesday.

Click here for the story on DallasNews.com:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....b422e352.html

Click here for the Mavericks schedule:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/bas...mavs/schedule/
Old 09-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #12
Dirkfanatic

Dirkfanatic is on a distinguished road

those 2 games will be blow outs
Dirkfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote