Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Verizon FiOS

I switched from DSL today to Verizon FiOS.

Wow.... I knew the difference would be great, but this is just unbelievable. I am in tears. Tears of joy.

15 MB/s download.... 2 MB/s upload. And on speed tests I have pinged them all at the max rate.

All for the same cost as my DSL line.

I HIGHLY recommend changing today if it is available on your phone line. There are *some* drawbacks, but they are minimal. For instance, once you commit to FiOS and they install you will be unable to go to DSL again because once they cut you over to the OTN they won't rerun the copper back. No big deal, why would you go back.

Verizon offers the 5Mb down/2Mb up in Texas now for 34.95 a month. That is 5 bucks more than their DSL service.

Do it now!!!! Don't hesitate!!!! Share in my joy!!!!!

It is a beautiful experience.

Absolutely beautiful.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Free school internet. Ill stick with it but im glad you like it.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I switched from DSL today to Verizon FiOS.
I'm planning to look into it after the first of the year. I've heard nothing but good things but I wonder if the speed right now is so fast because there are so few people using it?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
I'm planning to look into it after the first of the year. I've heard nothing but good things but I wonder if the speed right now is so fast because there are so few people using it?
Remember that it's not a shared Network like Cable. Your bandwidth will be limited only by Verizon's Network, not your neighbor's use of the Network.

edit: Also distance limitations are decreased greatly. If you couldn't get DSL with your current phone line, in all likelyhood you will be able to get FiOS eventually (and you won't be able to until the Fiber Networks have been pulled to your neighborhood).

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-01-2005 at 03:47 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Why must you rub it in. My particular neighborhood may never get FIOS. I am insanely jealous of those that have it.

And no, the speed is not a result of no one on it. It is a result of Fiber directly to your house. It will be yeras and years before they start to have enough traffic on their Fiber network to reduce speeds, if ever.

FIOS is also getting ready to roll out it's TV package, which I have heard nothing but good things about.

I want me some FIOS.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Got FiOS a few months ago. Its been great.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Great....as if we weren't seeing enough of U2 already....
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

congrats on the success of the new relationship in your life, U2. May you and FiOs remain in bliss forevermore...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Xerxes, is FiOS one of your sponsors? They should be, and you shouldn't be giving free publicity. I expect to see you driving golf balls with their logo by year end.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think they come to our little insignificant out in the country neighborhood either.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Anyone have a contact number to check if it is available in our area?

Free "Guru power" reputation love to the first responder.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-04-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSforhome...ress_entry.asp
Old 12-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

And bernardos gets an extra green box....

Thanks!

*Sigh*
We cannot find your address...
I'll call customer service tomorrow....

Last edited by Drbio; 12-05-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 AM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! But it didn't work for me either, I thought it might for you.

Also, beware of a few things like what has been pointed out about them ripping out your copper, you having to have a box serviceable outside the house, but plugged inside the house, and them making you use their router.

Last edited by bernardos70; 12-05-2005 at 01:14 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

I can't use my own router? I have cable which comes in and hits my router, then is pushed through a second router which sends wireless out to the entire house. I like to be very firewalled.

If I can't use my router or piggyback my wireless router on it I doubt I would do it anyways. I don't really care about the copper.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:35 AM   #16
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I thought about buying a Toyota VIOS... Will that give me an extra 50 horse powers compared to my Porsche convertible?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I can't use my own router? I have cable which comes in and hits my router, then is pushed through a second router which sends wireless out to the entire house. I like to be very firewalled.

If I can't use my router or piggyback my wireless router on it I doubt I would do it anyways. I don't really care about the copper.
Yes, you can use your router. They do require you to use their router because it has diagnostic software that they can use to "test" the line with. But all you need to do is hang your router off of theirs.

No big deal at all.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli
I thought about buying a Toyota VIOS... Will that give me an extra 50 horse powers compared to my Porsche convertible?

Genius.

Thanks U2. Do they charge extra for their router or is it included in the monthly? What other problems or conflicts are there? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #19
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Included

Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

It is included... unless you want a wireless router. But you won't need wireless, since the one you will hang off theirs is a wireless router. So just tell them you want the free one.

And when you get it, you are going to be soooooo happy. Heck, my Office WAN connection is only slightly larger than what I have at home. Depending on what project I'm working on(local or National) I can sometimes work faster from home, given that I am the only one using it.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #21
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Word of caution though, you'll lose alot of the up/down load speeds with wireless.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you have a good connection, a G router would give you up to 54MB/S. Why would this affect your speeds on FIOS?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #23
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

it keeps telling me i've entered an invalid city.

last i knew grand prairie actually existed. oh well. i always knew i lived in my own imaginary world.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Don't do the address one, it's very shaky.

The phone number check is their primary check.

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...=L&POEId=TL1HP

I don't believe Grand Parie has it though...

Keller, Flower Mound, Lewisville, parts of Irving, parts of Carrollton are all I know that have it for sure.

Last edited by jthig32; 12-05-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #25
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB
Word of caution though, you'll lose alot of the up/down load speeds with wireless.
I use Wireless at home. And I peg speed tests 15MB down/2MB up which is what I ordered.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #26
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I use Wireless at home. And I peg speed tests 15MB down/2MB up which is what I ordered.
Hmmm. My bro got it and has wireless. Was only getting about 8-9 down until he ditched the wireless. Now he gets what he should.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #27
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB
Hmmm. My bro got it and has wireless. Was only getting about 8-9 down until he ditched the wireless. Now he gets what he should.
He might not have a mimo or G wireless router or card which are the only ones that can transfer over 10.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

we can't get it.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least this thread has the right title, even if it's about something else...

Anyway...I noticed a new HD channel tonight, ESPNU HD on 848 (I think) so that's cool.

And USA HD is still there even though the olympics are gone.

My understanding is that we're still not supposed to get our big HD upgrade until October....TBS HD, Sci Fi HD, and Versus HD I am looking forward too very much. I hope we get ESPNEWS HD but I haven't really heard about that one.

Thig, are you getting this ESPNU HD?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'll have to check tonight. And I do believe USA HD is supposed to stay.

Big HD upgrade is being rolled out around the country. I miss the days when we were the test bed for FIOS.

Also, beta remote DVR access has been rolled out to a few regions. It's pretty rare that I forget to schedule something, but it will be nice to know it's there.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #31
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Remote DVR access?

Sweeeet.

I forget all the time during hockey season when we don't get home until 11.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #32
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

I have it too, and I love it
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 AM   #33
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

espn, the ocho ?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #34
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Finally....For North Texas effective 10/8/08 according to Verizon...

http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail...eff_100808.pdf

ESPNEWS HD! Versus, Sci fi, TBS, FX...Heck even the Smithsonian, History and Science channels have a lot of good stuff on. I love me some HD.

edit: I wonder what they're going to do with ESPNU-HD...we just got that, surely it's not going away.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-03-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #35
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Are these in addition to the existing HD channels? I know ESPN and ESPN2 are 826 and 827 for me right now.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #36
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is the new lineup. All the 800 channels are switching to 500's as listed in the graphic.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting rid of every Verizon product as soon as I can.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #38
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Why is Verizon so polarizing? People either love it or hate it. I know lot's of people who hate them.

I've never had a single problem with mine. TV or Internet. I love it.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #39
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Dunno. Even if I ever got pissed at FIOS I would never give up the internet service. It absolutely can not be beaten.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #40
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Why is Verizon so polarizing?
It's the network.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote