Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #561
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Great day today!

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #562
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

awesome, kinsler is back. i hope he's able to pick up where he left off.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #563
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

man, looks like kinsler hasn't missed a beat. two homers already.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 PM   #564
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

What a game!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #565
jly
Dirk for MVP

wow, this is like the rangers of the past two seasons. scoring runs on homers. sweetness!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #566
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Can I just say? I am so, so glad they are giving Kinsler a chance to keep his starting job. I mean, look. We can all be appreciative of what Mark DeRosa has given us so far this year w/out forgetting he is Mark DeRosa, yes? This team is better w/Kinsler there everyday & DeRosa doing his thing backing up 5 positions.

Anyone concerned about Millwood at home yet? I didn't see this game, what went wrong today?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #567
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Kinsler was awesome and will only get better. Nevin with the game winner. I love it.

The Rangers came back from an 0-7 deficit to win 8-7. Unfreakingbelievable.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 AM   #568
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio

The Rangers came back from an 0-7 deficit to win 8-7. Unfreakingbelievable.
Wow.

I can't believe these guys are still in first given how much they've been struggling lately. I hope they start getting on a roll, and the Rocket decides to sign with the Rangers.

Last edited by jleefilled; 05-26-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #569
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

good news is that with with the A's and M's being our next 7 games, we COULD get a little seperation in the standings
Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #570
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Rocket isnt gonna sign with the rangers unless they just ridiculously money whip him and hicks wont go that route again(i dont blame him) I was never on board with the millwood signing because he got WAY too much money but he is a good pitcher and he has been that more often than not. Man, kinsler is awesome. I mean wow that kid just does everything right. BTW just random baseball talk have any of you guys heard the rumor that rocket is waiting so long to come back because of a secret steroid suspension? i dont believe it but it is an interesting rumor.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #571
Drbio
Banned

I don't think Rocket will sign with Texas either, but as Houston fades their chances get better. There was a report out of Houston this week that said that Roger stated he didn't want to move again and that he hoped he wouldn't have to travel all the time. Sounds like it is Houston or Texas to me. If Houston continues to fade, Roger knows he will be perceived as a moneygrabber. I think that matters to him. Eh....whoever he goes to it doesn't matter. It's nice to think about.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #572
jly
Dirk for MVP

another great day. mavs win and rangers come back and win. we really need to win these games against our division while they're weak. another good outing by koronka

Old 05-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #573
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's nice to think about.
And that's all that counts, right? ; )

I haven't read up on the game, but I'm glad the Rangers won!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #574
Texan in DC

Texan in DC is on a distinguished road

Ok
I am and always be a Texas Rangers fan, but the come back victory the other day where they were down by 7 I think and then ended up winning with a 8 to 7 victory was not good baseball. It was not even good hitting, what it was in truth was very bad pitching.
I believe the team in the west with above a .500 winning percentage will win the west.
But lest step back and look at the really good teams in the AL.
The Red Sox I believe are the best, they have solid hitting and pitching, the Yankees whom I will always hate with passion have solid all stars in every position in the field or lineup, but it has been shown since 2000 that you can load up your team with all stars but they are not that far off in talent with the rest of the leagues stars.
Take Texas for a moment, we have Tex, Blalock, and Young in the infield that is solid, but Yankees have Giambi, Rodriguez, and Jeter, the numbers put out are not identical but pretty competitive. In the Central you have three stong teams Indians, White Sox and Tigers that should all make a playoff run. Being from the metroplex I am enjoing the DC area bc I am a baseball fan, and their is a lot of great games to watch with short driving distance, its not bad.
Go Texas, but with a reality outlook
Old 05-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #575
jly
Dirk for MVP

dang, that jason botts kid is a beast. he's freaking huge (in a tall way). congrats to him and his first major league homer tonight.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #576
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly
dang, that jason botts kid is a beast. he's freaking huge (in a tall way). congrats to him and his first major league homer tonight.
I was going to post the same thing jly. Tonight the Rangers game was playing on one of the sets at the sports bar while I was watching the Mavs, and I got my first glimpse of the behemoth called Botts. If size is any determining factor, he looks like he's going to be a player. The Rangers have capable hitters up and down their batting order.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #577
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I am so rooting for this kid. If we could just find some way to trade Nevin... Isn't it nice having these kids up here & contributing? They're so much fun to watch. I love that they've had their time in the minors & have developed in a way that allows them to contribute when they get the opportunity.

Nice series, taking 3 of 4 over the A's to open up the 3-game lead on the division. We all know Oakland & probably Anaheim will play better, so all the space we can get is important.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #578
jleefilled
Platinum Member

It must be disheartening for an opposing pitcher to face a Rangers' line-up where the bottom of order includes up-and-coming studs like Kinsler and Botts.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #579
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

nice to get a win on National TV.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #580
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Botts is a badass. Nevin's outright release should be any day. Of course, dumpy ass Buck will never let that happen, but one can dream.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 05-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #581
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

man how bad is the West...and why????

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #582
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
It must be disheartening for an opposing pitcher to face a Rangers' line-up where the bottom of order includes up-and-coming studs like Kinsler and Botts.
have not watched as many games as I would like...but does Kinsler show much promise as a hitter?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #583
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
have not watched as many games as I would like...but does Kinsler show much promise as a hitter?
Yeah, he looks pretty good so far.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 05-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #584
sike
The Preacha

is Botts going to be the real deal?

Last edited by sike; 05-29-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #585
ames7
Diamond Member

What an absolute gem by Rheinecker today. 8.1 innings of shutout ball on his birthday. He looked extremely impressive. Wow, if he pans out w/anything like the success that Koronka's had, I'm going to be eating the doubts I had about the JuanDom trade before too long.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #586
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Juan who?

Hella good outing by Rheinecker.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #587
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
He's been impressive every stop of the way in the minors showing that he can hit for power and average. Plus, he doesn't do alot of swinging and missing.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #588
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Tex is finally starting to heat up, which is good to see.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #589
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Where did that come from??? Nice pitching. As for kinsler he shows alot of promise but he is very similar to franceour in that neither ever takes a walk which could hurt them later.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #590
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

At least the Rangers won tonight.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #591
ames7
Diamond Member

I caught Millwood's last inning...man, I love the way he got pissed off after Kinsler's error & said to hell with it & went right after Ichiro. That's the most emotion I think we've seen from him, throwing his glove & cap in the dugout after he got the out. It wasn't pretty, but he got the W anyway.

BTW, in SD, CY just got his no-hitter broken up in the 7th.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:31 AM   #592
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that it really matters, but it was actually the eighth. Great outing for Chris.

So far it's been a good trade for both teams. Really it's been the best all the way around, because Doc has been wrong with his "Eaton > Young. Period" stuff, but the Rangers have still benefited frot Otsuka.

Good times all the way around.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 AM   #593
sike
The Preacha

how has Botts looked thus far?

Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #594
Drbio
Banned

The Dallas Morning News is reporting that Phil Nevin has been TRADED. No details just that he is gone.

wow.

Sources: The Rangers to trade DH Phil Nevin to the Cubs. Details to come.

Last edited by Drbio; 05-31-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #595
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

He's a Cubby now.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #596
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

How about Nevin for Rocket? (wishfull thinking) I just always thought he would want to go to a team with a winning record... and maybe help out Houston in the process by forcing a sign-and-trade?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #597
sike
The Preacha

Exclamation

Quote:
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that Phil Nevin has been TRADED. No details just that he is gone.

wow.

Sources: The Rangers to trade DH Phil Nevin to the Cubs. Details to come.
hello Botts.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #598
Drbio
Banned

Final touches being placed on Nevin trade

02:55 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 31, 2006

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News
ARLINGTON — Just shy of the season’s one-third marker, the Rangers ended the Phil Nevin experiment Wednesday afternoon.
A week after Nevin lost his job to rookie Jason Botts, the club was putting the final touches on a deal with the Chicago Cubs, a pair of Rangers sources said. No further details of the deal were available. The Rangers are expected to pick up a significant portion of the $6 million remaining on Nevin’s salary. They are not expected to receive a significant player in return.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels declined to comment.
If I have something to announce, I’ll do it at the appropriate time,’’ Daniels said.
The move gives the Rangers the option of calling up speedy outfielder Freddy Guzman, who was acquired from San Diego earlier in the month, and creates more playing time for players such as Botts, Mark DeRosa, Brad Wilkerson and Kevin Mench.
Nevin met with manager Buck Showalter and general manager Jon Daniels about an hour before Wednesday’s game. He was not in the dugout for the afternoon game against Seattle. His game-winning home run against Oakland last Thursday, which had been a regular of the pre-game highlight video, was also not played.
The Rangers acquired Nevin, 35, last July in a swap of bad contracts. Texas sent pitcher Chan Ho Park, who had almost $20 million remaining of his original five-year, $65 million deal, to San Diego. Nevin, who had about $15 million remaining on his long-term deal with the Padres, came to Texas.
Nevin was installed as the Rangers’ cleanup hitter and quickly flopped. He was removed from the No. 4 spot after just two weeks.
The Rangers were willing to move him during the offseason, but found little interest because of his declining performance and big contract. When he arrived at spring training, he made an immediate favorable impression.
Nevin had a strong first two weeks, but tailed off some in the middle of the month. From April 26 through May 22, Nevin batted just .160 without a home run. The Rangers called up Jason Botts on May 23 and announced he’d be the regular DH and that Nevin would split time with him.
Nevin returned to the lineup last Thursday after missing a pair of games and broke an 0-for-17 slump with a game-winning homer. But he was just 1-for-12 in three subsequent starts. As a Ranger, Nevin batted .204 with 12 homers and 39 RBIs in 275 at-bats.
The Cubs have been looking for an extra bat since first baseman Derek Lee suffered a broken wrist early in the season. Nevin can play first and also fill in at third and as a catcher.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:05 PM   #599
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Trade makes no sense as far as the Cubs are concerned(No DH in NL and Lee is due back soon), but i thank them for taking his worthless butt from us.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 05-31-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:23 PM   #600
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB
Trade makes no sense as far as the Cubs are concerned(No DH in NL and Lee is due back soon), but i thank them for taking his worthless butt from us.
And of course you are wrong again. The Cubbies need another bat and the Rangers are picking up the majority of the contract according to DMN and Newberg. Lee is not due back immediately as you insinuate and even if he were (you are typically wrong again here btw) Nevin can play first, third and be a backup catcher. That is a nice utility man there. But I wouldn't expect you to think through one of your posts before hitting the submit button.
Closed Thread