Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #81
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to say that the coaching staff isn't giving them a chance to win this game. Buck failed to call for a bunt in an obvious bunting situation with a runner on second and no one out with Barajas batting... Then, Steve Smith made an absolutely horrible call in sending Tex. that was miserable.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #82
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Steve Smith should be fired. He isn't worth a flaming pile of dog sh!t when it comes to doing his job. I said that last year and I'll stand by it this year.
That was a pretty mindless play. He sent the guy with the ball just outside of the infield.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #83
Drbio
Banned

Well crap.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #84
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I just picked up Papelbon for my fantasy team & I feel pretty good about it. The Rangers best learn to hit w/guys on base.

On the bright side, I thought Kam Loe looked great for the most part today.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #85
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What were they?... They were 6th in the AL last year with a .272 BA with RISP. But, they were only .002 behind the team that was in 4th. So, it really wasn't a problem last year. And, it's too early to tell anything this year.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-05-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #86
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

our pitching is doing fairly well so far. it's only a matter of time before our offense lights it up and gives us a better chance of winning.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #87
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

good to see Cam Loe tonight....very promising...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #88
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Murph...smith sending a rather slow Tex on such an iffy call is just plain foolish.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #89
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Kam was great last night. I had to watch the gamechannel on yahoo, but all I saw was ground out after ground out. I am worried about the offense.

And is Lance Nix trying not to get a hit this season?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:33 AM   #90
Murphy3
Guru

Nix is hitting the ball well...just hasn't had anything to show for it. He's had 3-4 deep flyouts and another couple of liners...
Old 04-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #91
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

7-0 in the 4th, UGH. Painful debut for the knuckleball. It's as I feared. Dickey can become a great knuckleball pitcher, just not yet. Hurry up, Tejeda.

edit: Also? I know we may not have a true long reliever available, but what's w/letting Dickey waste away out there? 6 HRs? Are we trying to completely destroy his self-confidence in one outing? Come on, Buck.

Last edited by ames7; 04-06-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

Well, it's not really the debut for the knuckleball. He used it towards the end of last year.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #93
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

So when does the game start? So far Detroit has been hitting batting practice pitchers!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #94
ames7
Diamond Member

Yay for Kinsler's first HR! =D
Old 04-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #95
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

what the heck is happening?

Old 04-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #96
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly
what the heck is happening?
The rangers are setting records tonight, baby!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #97
Drbio
Banned

I'm glad I didn't pay for a ticket tonight. Ugh.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #98
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It's not over yet! Bases loaded!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #99
Murphy3
Guru

I cannot believe that RA Dickey is still in the majors. He's a great guy, but damn..he has no business pitching in the majors. Anyone that followed the Rangers could see this coming.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #100
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
7-0 in the 4th, UGH. Painful debut for the knuckleball. It's as I feared. Dickey can become a great knuckleball pitcher, just not yet. Hurry up, Tejeda.

edit: Also? I know we may not have a true long reliever available, but what's w/letting Dickey waste away out there? 6 HRs? Are we trying to completely destroy his self-confidence in one outing? Come on, Buck.
RA is buck's boy. I wish they would both go somewhere else quickly...RA to the waiver list and Buck back to Baseball tonight or somesuch. Who the F let's a f'in pitcher work on a NEW pitch in the f'in major leagues? Buck Showalter is the biggest jerk off in Dallas sports. I hate Buck and have a lot of trouble wishing anything but failure on him even with the fact that he is the manager of my favorite team. Such a delima.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #101
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

the more i think about it, the madder i get. I think i am going to go to the game on Saturday, sit behind the Rangers dugout and heckle ol' Buck all game long and see if I can stir up some crowd support for his firing. This may become my goal for the year. you gotta have goals, right???
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #102
jly
Dirk for MVP

my friend had free tickets to tonight's game. i'm glad i chose to workout instead. at least Young just got 3 rbi's. take that detroit.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #103
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

hello Tejada ??
bye bye Dickey ??
Old 04-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #104
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

We have two holes... Unless Tejada can pitch back to back we still need another arm, (this is assuming Koronka is going to pitch only slightly better than Dickey - can you do worse than giving up a team record 6 homeruns with pitches that truly are slower than some under arm soft balls I have faced in league play?).

That was truly pathetic and I honestly hope that spare never wears a Ranger uniform ever EVER again! For that matter, I hope he never wears an Oklahoma uniform either.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #105
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
We have two holes... Unless Tejada can pitch back to back we still need another arm, (this is assuming Koronka is going to pitch only slightly better than Dickey - can you do worse than giving up a team record 6 homeruns with pitches that truly are slower than some under arm soft balls I have faced in league play?).

That was truly pathetic and I honestly hope that spare never wears a Ranger uniform ever EVER again! For that matter, I hope he never wears an Oklahoma uniform either.
This has only happened 7 times in the entire history of the game. very sad to be on that list. I hope that Brian Spare gets canned. he is just terrible, his little side arm crap don't work anymore.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #106
madape
Diamond Member

Be patient with RA Dickey. It's going to take him a while to get the hang of that knuckleball. IT was actually fluttering pretty wildly later in the innings. You could see it get better as the game went on. Perhpaps he should spend some time in the minors working on it, but I think eventually he'll be a solid rotation guy.

Knuckleballers eat up innings. They can last in the Texas heat all summer and be just as good in September as they were in April.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #107
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Oh, I agree, I hope he works out bigtime, but yes, he does need to work on it in the minors, at least a few months this season.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #108
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem with that is it's a well known fact that knuckleballers have a really hard time pitching at the Ballpark due to the inconsistent winds. Wakefield's been downright awful here since the goldclub was installed.

I have no use for Dickey, especially after his quote in the newspaper that he "has earned the right to be in the majors". Gimme a break.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #109
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Per the DMN, Dickey has been sent down.

Thank God.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #110
ames7
Diamond Member

Let's all breathe a sigh of relief. See you if/when you figure that new pitch out, RA, & I don't want to hear any more BS about how you "earned" anything, mmkay?

They've resigned Durazo to a minor league deal. Good move! We'll see how things go w/Nevin, but this is definitely some nice insurance.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #111
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

here we go again with the musical chair starters.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #112
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Give me musical chairs anyday over a guy that gives up more than a ding per inning!

And Ape, you support a complete and total spare in Dickey and knock a guy that is actually being productive for the Mavs, (and don't get me wrong, I am starting to think like you about him, I am just saying)??? And don't give me the money difference either. You have a personal vendetta against Dump and you SHOULD against Dick... Dick and Dump... You could do a road show or something!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #113
Drbio
Banned

Texas has optioned righthander R.A. Dickey to Oklahoma, purchasing the contract of RedHawks righthander Rick Bauer to replace Dickey on the big league staff.

In addition, the Rangers re-signed designated hitter Erubiel Durazo (whom they had released a week and a half ago) to a minor league contract. I'm pretty sure he can't be brought up to Texas, under any circumstances, prior to May 15.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #114
jly
Dirk for MVP

anybody think benoit will get another shot at the starting rotation? he hasn't looked too bad in long relief and he has been clocking his fastball at 95 at times.

i'm also disappointed about dickey. i sure hope he masters his pitch and manages to get back to the majors.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #115
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Do not put benoit in the rotation. This happens every year. We put him in the pen he looks great we get greedy and put him back in the rotation. For whatever reason he just cant pitch as a starter. He cant stay focused for that long or and this is my opinion, he doesnt do well when he has time to think about starting. When he is in the pen he doesnt know when he will pitch. When he is a starter he has a week to think about his next start and for a guy with his head i dont think that is a positive.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #116
jly
Dirk for MVP

that's a valid point Five. maybe they should like surprise him with his starts. announce someone else as the starter and then just throw him in the fire once the game starts. just wishful thinking i guess...

Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #117
jly
Dirk for MVP

michael young with a solo shot. lookin' like a good start so far. now to flip back and forth with the mavs game.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #118
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Texas needs to start knocking their base runners in! We have guys with 2 hits in a game but that strike out or ground into a double play when there is a chance to actually knock in a run. Just a bunch of meaningless hits. It's like 90% of the team lacks that clutch killer instinct!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #119
ames7
Diamond Member

Millwood on the mound... 4-0 already in the first. This team makes me sad.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #120
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The Rangers absoultely suck early on this year. No offense to speak of, certainly no pitching, and one of our strong points - defense - has also left us!

What a terrible terrible start to the year.

Sigh!