Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #81
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
He was moving when kobe jumped. Once the guy starts to jump if you arent set it cant be a charge. It was a close call though.
The only moving I see is him falling backwards trying to avoid the contact of a super slam by Kobe!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #82
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Nash was outside the circle, but Kobe left the ground before Nash ever took position.

Here's another pic. This will make a great poster.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-27-2006 at 12:21 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #83
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Nash was outside the circle, but Kobe left the ground before Nash ever took position.

Here's another pic. It looks like Nash is trying to avoid being...molested.

It is too bad I can't give you any more rep!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #84
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

There is another pic on a different board that I cant post because of this crappy computer but nash's hand is clearly on kobe's ummmm little kobe.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #85
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

he's gettin face full of crotch.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #86
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
There is another pic on a different board that I cant post because of this crappy computer but nash's hand is clearly on kobe's ummmm little kobe.
sike told me that you said that you know from first hand experience what you are calling his "little kobe" "wasn't little at all"..... not sure what that means....

Wait..... wrong thread......
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #87
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Uncomfortable......

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #88
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Uncomfortable......

Is anyone suprised???

I mean really:

Old 04-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #89
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Haha basically the same picture i was talking about.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #90
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I read something on a Lakers board that reeked of sour grapes but was interesting nonetheless. Did the league leak the MVP earlier than usual this year because they’re concerned that he may not make it to the 2nd round? I guess the answer depends on when they make the official announcement and schedule the ceremony.
I did a little research and found that if the Lakers upset the Suns, Nash would be the third MVP to lose in the first round. The first two were Wes Unseld and Moses Malone. Moses, Kareem, and Bob McAdoo all won MVP's in years that they didn't make the playoffs! However, more than half (27 out of 51) of all MVPs either advanced to the Finals or won the championship.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #91
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Moses, Kareem, and Bob McAdoo all won MVP's in years that they didn't make the playoffs!
So much for all the talk about the specific criteria laid down in stone by history, eh?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #92
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

To follow up...

In the 49 seasons that they have been handing out the award (up to this season), the MVP has had the following playoff success:

20 have won the championship (Jordan X 4, Russell X 4, Bird X 2, Kareem X 2, Cousy, Shaq, Duncan, Magic, Moses, Wilt, Reed, Hakeem)

7 have lost in the finals (Iverson, Malone, Barkley, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell)

10 have lost in the conference finals (Chamberlain X 3, Pettit X 2, Kareem, Cowens, Robinson, Garnett, Nash)

8 have lost in the conference semis (Duncan, McAdoo, Malone, Magic, Jordan, Dr. J, Walton, Kareem)

3 have lost in the first round (Moses X 2, Unseld (only 3 rounds that year, no round of 8))

1 has missed the playoffs (Kareem)

Edited to make corrections.

Last edited by Stranger; 04-28-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #93
a.weidner

a.weidner has a spectacular aura abouta.weidner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Moses, Kareem, and Bob McAdoo all won MVP's in years that they didn't make the playoffs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
So much for all the talk about the specific criteria laid down in stone by history, eh?
McAdoo lost in the conference finals the year he was MVP. Moses Malone lost in the first round twice, but always reached the playoffs. Only Kareem won an MVP while missing the playoffs. Just a quick lookup, so no guarantees.

Anyways, that is irrelevant, since back then the MVP was voted by the players, not the media. There probably wasn't much exchange of arguments between the players, so there were no "specific criteria", just personal preferences. Obviously the voting system had to be adjusted because it wasn't objective enough.

Last edited by a.weidner; 04-28-2006 at 06:01 PM.
a.weidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #94
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Only Kareem won an MVP while missing the playoffs. Just a quick lookup, so no guarantees.
That was Kareem's 1976 MVP, right?

Couple of thoughts about that:

Lakers did miss the playoffs that year, but at that time, only 10 teams made it to the post-season. It's somewhat more 'inclusive' now.

Also, at that point, Jabbar already had a league championship, was a 3-time NBA MVP award winner, had been named Rookie of the Year, Finals MVP, all-NBA First team for 4 consecutive years, 5-time All-Star, and 2-time NBA All Defensive Team.

He was established.

In the modern era of the NBA, and with the current dilution of talent, I'd think it would be very improbable that a player whose team failed to make the playoffs would bould be named MVP.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #95
Stranger
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
That was Kareem's 1976 MVP, right?

Couple of thoughts about that:

Lakers did miss the playoffs that year, but at that time, only 10 teams made it to the post-season. It's somewhat more 'inclusive' now.

Also, at that point, Jabbar already had a league championship, was a 3-time NBA MVP award winner, had been named Rookie of the Year, Finals MVP, all-NBA First team for 4 consecutive years, 5-time All-Star, and 2-time NBA All Defensive Team.

He was established.

In the modern era of the NBA, and with the current dilution of talent, I'd think it would be very improbable that a player whose team failed to make the playoffs would bould be named MVP.
Yeah, I actually think its a testament to Kareem to have won without making the playoffs--it takes a damn special player to make an exception like that. Sort of like Jerry West getting the finals MVP even when his team lost.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #96
Stranger
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.weidner
McAdoo lost in the conference finals the year he was MVP. Moses Malone lost in the first round twice, but always reached the playoffs. Only Kareem won an MVP while missing the playoffs. Just a quick lookup, so no guarantees.

Anyways, that is irrelevant, since back then the MVP was voted by the players, not the media. There probably wasn't much exchange of arguments between the players, so there were no "specific criteria", just personal preferences. Obviously the voting system had to be adjusted because it wasn't objective enough.
Thanks for the correction: I double-checked and you are right. I missed both Buffalo's and Houston's playoff appearances in those years.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:30 PM   #97
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I don't have to watch this game tonight instead of the beat-down the Kings are going to administer to the Spurs.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #98
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hope I don't have to watch this game tonight instead of the beat-down the Kings are going to administer to the Spurs.
Word.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #99
chumdawg
Guru

Luckily the Deuce has the Kings game. I was fixin' to go WraithX on somebody.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #100
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

wow - things getting chippy early with Walton's hard foul. some good games going on tonight. holds me over for tomorrow's game!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #101
chumdawg
Guru

If you're staying with this one, Raef, please don't hesitate to give regular updates. I'll be watching the Kings put one more nail in the former champs' coffin.

By the way, early on, the Kings are kicking the crap out of the Spurs. Right now the Kings faithful are mad because some Spur just split Bonzi's upper lip. Doesn't bother me in the least, though!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #102
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Two great games, two teams to root against.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #103
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you're staying with this one, Raef, please don't hesitate to give regular updates. I'll be watching the Kings put one more nail in the former champs' coffin.

By the way, early on, the Kings are kicking the crap out of the Spurs. Right now the Kings faithful are mad because some Spur just split Bonzi's upper lip. Doesn't bother me in the least, though!
Yeah, but no foul was called. I thought that was crap.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #104
Drbio
Banned

I guarantee you that there will be no suspension either.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 PM   #105
Drbio
Banned

Long live Luke Walton!!! Nice foul on that puss Tim Thomas. I didn't see it earlier.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #106
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

When did Tim Thomas turn into a deadly 3pt shooter?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #107
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Long live Luke Walton!!! Nice foul on that puss Tim Thomas. I didn't see it earlier.
That Luke Walton.... he's, um........ not a very attractive human being. I think he capitalizes on the timeout breaks so he can call back his momma and beg to be beaten again with the ugly stick.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #108
chumdawg
Guru

Who is #18 for the Lakers? That pass he made to Walton under the basket a few minutes ago was turr-bull. When a guy has managed to find a wide open spot under the basket, you need to whip it to him real fast. Luke had to pass it off, and then the other guy--who was it, Cook or something?--had to go and get blocked and lose his shoe.

Why is it that I don't know any Lakers player men? Is 18 Sasha Danilovic?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #109
Drbio
Banned

Ouch. Thomas might have just torn a knee ligament. That looked bad.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #110
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
That Luke Walton.... he's, um........ not a very attractive human being. I think he capitalizes on the timeout breaks so he can call back his momma and beg to be beaten again with the ugly stick.
Cold....funny though.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:55 PM   #111
Drbio
Banned

Chum - it doesn't matter. It's four spares and the rapist.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:59 PM   #112
Drbio
Banned

How friggin stupid are Raja Bell and D'Antoni????

wow.

Actually...after seeing the replay, Raja probably got hosed there.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-29-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:10 AM   #113
chumdawg
Guru

The Suns are selling pussy here. I know it's good for the Mavs, but it is still pissing me off. The Mavs can beat the Suns. In fact, the Mavs OWE the Suns. I don't want Kobe's Fakers to win this series.

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-29-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #114
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

the mavs have a hard time with the suns because dirk acts like a pussy whenever nash goes to the bucket. He doesn't want to foul him hard because they're buddies.

The lakers don't give a damn...they're playing physical and pounding the ball inside which is the way the mavs should play.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 AM   #115
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

OH HAPPY DAYS! The Spurs and the Suns both lose playoff games in the same night.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #116
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:

sorry for not giving some updates. after I posted that, I went and parked my butt on the sofa and switched back and forth between games. great, intense basketball tonight. wow, the lakers and suns HATE each other right now. pretty interesting stuff. as much as I can't stand Kobe, I thought he played great tonight and unselfishly (at least for him). I don't really know who I would rather see win this series. I just am enjoying seeing them beat each other up.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:30 AM   #117
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving every minute of this series. I'm especially enjoying getting to watch Kwame finally come into his own.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:34 AM   #118
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
the mavs have a hard time with the suns because dirk acts like a pussy whenever nash goes to the bucket. He doesn't want to foul him hard because they're buddies.

The lakers don't give a damn...they're playing physical and pounding the ball inside which is the way the mavs should play.
Rakesh, don't be stupid..you're better than that.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #119
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I'm loving every minute of this series. I'm especially enjoying getting to watch Kwame finally come into his own.
Did you say "come into his own" or "push the opposing players to the floor"?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:45 AM   #120
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go so far as to call Dirk a pussy but rakesh hit on something that's annoyed me for the past year. Dirk needs to give a hard (and by hard I mean borderline flagrant) foul on Nash if we face them in the playoffs. Like Magic slamming Isiah early in the first Lakers/Pistons series it would send a message to his teammates.

Plus the Suns appear to be less than effective in a series where emotions run high.