Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #81
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

what gets me is that the ump was looking right down the line, 10 ft away, and BLEW IT!
But it was awesome hearing tags yell " IT HIT THE CHALK" as soon as the guy blew it.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #82
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
After seeing last night's game I am surprised that more are not pissy about the ump/ref situation in the game.

Ugh.

You could clearly see chalk fly.
Well, I can speak for Murph and myself. We've been getting our fix on Newberg's board. Murph posting, and me with my usual perusing and no posting.

It's depressing. I think you have to go back to Jeffrey Mayer in New York to find a more obvious, more harmfully bad call in a MLB game. I mean it was just unreal.

Mike Young's strikeout/ejection was bad in it's own right. I think that ball must have LITERALLY been outiside by 6-8 inches.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #83
MavsGirl4142

MavsGirl4142 will become famous soon enough

That strikeout on MY was clearly a ball. He didn't even say anything and he just threw his bat and helmet down, but it wasn't like he hit anyone with it. It was so funny when Tag was yelling. It sounded like an earthquake hit or something he was so mad. Lol. He's probably still gonna be mad tonight. Texas teams always seem to get the worst calls.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #84
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
15 saves...

Last edited by MFFL; 06-28-2006 at 03:20 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #85
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting note from the SanFran Chronicle.....

Mark Teixeira's liner down the right-field line in the ninth inning Tuesday night might have kicked up baby powder, or garlic salt, or maybe someone's well-camouflaged drug stash, but it did not kick up chalk. The foul lines in the outfield at China Basin are not drawn in chalk. They are painted. -- San Francisco Chronicle
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #86
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy that for a second. Who's ever heard of that? There's a reason they use chalk, and it's for situations just like that.

Someone would have to come up with a MUCH better explanation of what, exactley, flew up in the air for me to buy that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 06-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #87
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Well if it was paint and you have ever seen the paint they use on baseball fields, it becomes powdery. It very well could have been paint. As an umpire i generally feel for umps but despite what someone might tell you about that being a hard call, it isnt. You stand directly on the line. If the ball is to your right its foul. If not it isnt. The easiest close call there is. The ump that threw out MY needs to be fined/put on probation/fired/ punished in some way. You simply cant throw a player out for that.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #88
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I think the major leagues only use chalk, and not paint, but I'm not sure.

And I agree 5-0, that's an easy call to make, and ump has to be able to make that call.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #89
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I could believe that it wasn't chalk that came up. Could have just been some loose grass cuttings. But something definitely came up where the ball hit. And the funny is that if you would ask me where the ball hit--on the center of the line, on the inside part of the line, or on the outside part of the line--I'd say the inside edge of the line. It looked like it was almost inside the line, if anything.

It was such a bad call that you wonder if his brain didn't just misfire for an instant and send the wrong signal to his body for what call to make. You just can't miss one that bad if you have any modicum at all of ability and experience about you.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #90
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Rangers need to snap out of it and wax these 'stros.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #91
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs pretty much kicked the crap out of the Astros tonight.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #92
MavsGirl4142

MavsGirl4142 will become famous soon enough

The Mavs? Lol, still waiting for Game 7? Me too.

Great win for the Rangers tonight. WOO, go Kinsler. I love that kid. Padilla showed them tonight. That looked like a nasty collision with Taveras and Burke.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #93
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
The Mavs pretty much kicked the crap out of the Astros tonight.
Lol, I'm still waiting for game 7 too.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #94
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Not that the Mavs couldn't beat the Astros at baseball...

Old 07-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #95
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to MY & GMJ for making the All Star team. Pleasantly surprised that GMJ made it. He deserves it.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #96
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

looks like GMJ will have to reschedule his time off in south beach to attend the all star game. congrats to him. he has been a very pleasant surprise this year.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
jly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #97
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Wow GMJ made the all star team, awesome.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:32 AM   #98
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

that will probably be my ranger highlight of the year, GMJ an all-star. AWESOME.
Now if only a few of our former allstars, would regain their form
Old 07-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #99
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
that will probably be my ranger highlight of the year, GMJ an all-star. AWESOME.
Now if only a few of our former allstars, would regain their form

Yeah, what's up with Tex? Only 8 homers?! You've gotta be kidding me. I need him to bust out and hit some homers, he's on my fantasy team

Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #100
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Last night was Newberg report night at the Ballpark, and they had a long Q&A session with Jon Daniels. Here's a couple interesting points from someone that was there:
-- the Padres first target in trading with the Rangers was Gerald Laird.

-- JD readily admitted that the SD trade did not look good due to Eaton's injury and a mis-evaluation of Chris Young ability to succeed long-term as a starter.

-- Both Kam Loe and CJ Wilson are now viewed by the organization as relief pitchers.

The SD trade stuff is fairly old news, but it's interesting to see the organization already admitting they were wrong about Chris Young. It still astounds me completely that we were more willing to give up Chris Young than Gerald Laird. That is mystifying.

The fact that the organization now view Kam as a reliever is very interesting to me. I was unsure if he would continue what he started last year, but it certainly seems like an awfully short leash. I hope he stays as dominant in the role as he was last year when he goes back to relief.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #101
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Sweep Toronto!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #102
jleefilled
Platinum Member

6-1, Rangers win. That's what I'm talking about!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 AM   #103
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Does anyone know a reason for Tex's "power outage" this season?

I mean 8 homers?!

Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #104
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Hate to see a good guy like Chipper get hurt.

Atlanta 3B has partial tear in right foot

By GEORGE HENRY, Associated Press Writer
July 3, 2006

ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones will see a foot specialist on Tuesday after an MRI showed a partial tear of the plantar plate and the second toe in his right foot.

Team spokesman Brad Hainje, reading from a statement, said the injury is similar to but not as severe as the one Jones had in his left foot last season when he missed 37 games.

Jones, who also was diagnosed Monday with inflammation of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee, was not available for comment after Atlanta beat St. Louis 6-3.

"I can tell you it feels better today than it did yesterday, which is a good sign," Jones said before the game. "Last year, quite frankly, it didn't get any better. At no point did it feel better, and then I got into the boot."

Braves manager Bobby Cox held Jones out of the lineup for the second straight game, starting Wilson Betemit in his place.

On Sunday, Jones had the first pinch-hit homer of his career, a three-run shot that ended the scoring in a 10-3 victory over Baltimore.

"They're going to hold me out until we get some definitive answers," Jones said. "They don't want me out there for nine innings. That repetitive pounding that it takes during the course of the game -- we could have a setback."

Jones, a five-time All-Star and the 1999 NL MVP, is hitting .296 with 10 homers, and his 43 RBIs rank third for Atlanta behind Andruw Jones (66) and Jeff Francoeur (58).

Old 07-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #105
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Wow, the Indians are beating the Yanks 17-1!

Old 07-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #106
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Rangers game is delayed....

Old 07-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #107
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Does anyone know a reason for Tex's "power outage" this season?

I mean 8 homers?!
freakin great question....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #108
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Is it me, or are the Rangers' bats, in general, not producing like they are capable of this year? I feel like the pitching this year has been overall pretty solid, but the run support just doesn't seem to be there way too often. Great game by Koronka.. Texas loses 3-2.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #109
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

poor, poor, Rangers....how I want to love them so....but my heart only breaks for one team....and they Rangers are pretty hard on their fans...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #110
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
freakin great question....
I hate to bring it up, but could it have to with with steroids, or an injury?

Going from like 45 to only 8 in the first half of this year, something has got to be wrong.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #111
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

Going from like 45 to only 8 in the first half of this year, something has got to be wrong.
I seriously doubt roids have anything to do with it....but I suppose that is a reasonable query...

Old 07-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #112
Just211
Platinum Member

i think it has a lot to do with the world baseball classic. Tex came away from that displeased, and it might have just put him off his rhythm. But who knows, hopefully it all comes together down the stretch.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #113
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:

The thought came up in my mind as well, but I didn't really want to mention it because like Sike, I can't see that being the case. At least, I really hope that it's not the case.

Good point, Just211. I think the WBC may have had something to do with his struggles. He may have just come out of that tournament with his confidence shaken a bit. I think he'll be fine.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #114
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, I don't think it got mentioned here, but that catch GMJ made in Saturday's game is about as nice a catch as you will EVER see in a baseball game.

If that had happened in a more important situation, for an East Coast team, it would go down in baseball lore. It was that amazing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #115
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Joe morgan said that it was the best catch he had ever seen. I have to agree. there have been more important catches but that was the BEST catch ive seen.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #116
Just211
Platinum Member

you know i was at that game, but someone i was with passed out, and I was sitting outside of 1st aid when the crowd went into a roar.
Turns out I missed the play of the year. I've been giving her shit since the game.

But at least I can say I was there.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #117
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Rangers ace Kevin Millwood will not make his scheduled start against Minnesota on Friday. Millwood hasn't tossed a ball since straining his right biceps Sunday against Houston. He wants to throw a bullpen session this weekend, but doctors told him not to throw until the ache in his arm is gone. -- Dallas Morning News
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #118
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I seriously doubt roids have anything to do with it....but I suppose that is a reasonable query...
I really hate bringing that up, cuz I always give the player the benefit of the doubt. It just seems like such a drop off that it has to be something.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #119
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
i think it has a lot to do with the world baseball classic. Tex came away from that displeased, and it might have just put him off his rhythm. But who knows, hopefully it all comes together down the stretch.
That's a good point, that might be it. Anyway, I hope he pulls it together very soon.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #120
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
BTW, I don't think it got mentioned here, but that catch GMJ made in Saturday's game is about as nice a catch as you will EVER see in a baseball game.

If that had happened in a more important situation, for an East Coast team, it would go down in baseball lore. It was that amazing.
anywhere I can find a vid of it???