Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Top 5 - Favorite Movies IYO - Reasons

Hello

Last edited by Nemesis; 10-10-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Shawshank Redemption - Head and shoulders above any other movie for me. I can watch it over and over.

2. The Matrix - The other two dragged the trilogy down to empty action flicks, but the original was just a great movie all the way around.

3. Saving Private Ryan - Just a phenomenal movie. Evokes emotion every time I watch it.

4. The Usual Suspects - It loses a little after watching it a few times, but the initial viewing was just awesome.

5. Glory - A very underrated film if you ask me. A very well done movie covering a very powerful subject.

Special Mention: It's not a movie, but Band of Brothers is just about the best thing I've ever watched, and is the only thing that rivals Shawshank for rewatchability for me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-13-2006 at 06:08 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32

Special Mention: It's not a movie, but Band of Brothers is just about the best thing I've ever watched, and is the only thing that rivals Shawshank for rewatchability for me.
I have the box set as well and I agree. It is superb. It's amazing how Spielberg is able to capture characters and their emotional struggles when the shit hits the fan.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

1. New Jack City- the first movie i've ever shed a tear over. It was really the 1st movie to touch on drugs and street violence. Wesley Snipes' best performance with good performances from Ice T, Bill Nunn, Chris Rock, and Allen Payne.

2. Training Day- I know a lot of people don't like this one, but i thought it was fantastic. Denzel was great and i loved the fact that he played the antagonist. Haven't seen too many Ethan Hawke movies, but this has to be his best one. But the thing about this movie that puts it so high on my list is the viewing experience. Me and my friends are always mocking the one-liners and jokes Denzel says in the movie. The jokes will never get tired.

3. Sin City- Before seeing this movie, i never even heard about the Graphic Novels. As a matter of fact, going into the theatre, i didn't know what this movie was about. After watching 5 minutes of it, i could already tell this movie played the comics well. This movie was easily the best comic adaptation ever. I loved the film noir elements, color schemes, camera angles. But the thing that shocked me the most was the acting. Normally in action flicks, the only person doing the real acting are the bad guys, but everybody in this movie nailed their roles. And call me crazy, but if William Hurt could be nominated for an Oscar for his role in A History of Violence (a movie i'll get too soon), then Mickey Rourke could've got a nod for best supporting actor.

4. Rocky- Looking at my avatar, you should've known this was going to be here. Slyvester Stallone did a fantastic job putting this film together. Writing, directing, and starring in an Oscar winning film is rare (he should've won for all 3). The story of this film was great. A man trying to find the passion within himself to pull off a miracle with a once in a lifetime opportunity. Good performances from Talia Shire, Burt Young, and Carl Weathers. To me, this movie had the best ending of any movie. I loved the look on Apollo's face when Rocky got up after taking his best shots, the fact that he ends up losing, and the fact that he didn't care about anything but Adrian.

5. Rocky II- good sequel. This was the last of the Rocky films that had good acting. I also loved the story about a man trying to pick himself up and go for his desires. The final boxing sequence was pretty good.

Like Blab said, there are better pure movies than the ones i listed, but these are the ones that had certain elements that stood out to me.

P.S.- 6. Batman Begins, 7. Crash, 8. Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (funny movie), 9. Die Hard, 10. Tie b/A History of Violence and Pirates of the Carribean.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 AM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I'm not a huge movie person so I'm just going to list some things off the top of my head (not very well thought-out so there might be better candidates):

High Fidelity
- John Cusack's performance as the music-snob record store owner really spoke to me as both a fan of good (and sometimes, purposefully obscure) music. Ho-hum about the relationship stuff but it was funny, witty, ironical, and realistic all at the same time. A story about Joe Everyman's heartbreak and redemption in the span of 2 hours? Check.

The Red Violin
- Haven't been able to find this movie around, I just remember thoroughly enjoying the story as it traced the history of a single violin and its multitude of owners. It served to remind me of my mortality and wonder which of my belongings would outlive me.

Sneakers
- Watched this for the first time when I was like 10. This was back when computers were a relatively new phenomena. Great cast, simple plot that really spoke to the potential criminal in me (). Definitely one of my favorites of all time.

The Untouchables
- Watched this on the treadmill a week ago, just a great movie. Costner didn't suck, Connery was good. It definitely did the Capone story justice. I thought the acting was superb and it really set the bar for old Italian gangster movies (well, setting aside the Godfather movies...which are in a league of their own).

Not Another Teen Movie (what can I say, I'm 5 years old)
- 'Effin awesome movie. Laughed my ass off every single time I watched it. The satire was fantastic and the references (I didn't get most of them since alot of the movies they made fun of were chick flicks) didn't suck. Puts knock-offs like 'Date Movie' to shame. And I'm definitely like Jake.

Shawshank Redemption is definitely up around here's somewhere. Independence Day, Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back, Dogma, Clerks, Mallrats.

And I have to admit, I hated...HATED...A History of Violence. I thought that was one of the most terrible films I've ever seen. The New World is on that list of terrible movies, as is Blade 3.

Last edited by orangedays; 06-14-2006 at 04:34 AM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

will give reasons later

1. forrest gump
2. dances with wolves
3. casablanca
4. shawshank redemption
5. tie - saving private ryan/field of dreams

edit: ok, reasons? really, its because they all bring out strong emotions in me. friendship, love, family. all of them have parts that just get me, and even though i know its coming, i can't help but well up at "you died on a saturday. i had you placed here under our tree." or "we come far, you and me. i will not forget you." or "hey dad, wanna have a catch" or "i hope". i'm a sucker, what can i say.

i think they're all well written, well, acted, well directed. 3 of my favorite actors - bogey, hanks, and costner (i know, i know, but what can i say, i like almost all his movies).

Last edited by mnmpeanut; 06-14-2006 at 04:44 PM.
mnmpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

I'll give my reasons later

1. The Beautician and the Beast
2. Fried Green Tomatoes
3. Kate & Leopold
4. Legally Blond 2
5. Batman & Robin
6. The Omega Code
7. The Judas Project

Just kidding
Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Dammit Blab. Now I'm forced to make decisions, and write everything out. I'll try to get this up later tonight.

For a sneak preview, I'll reveal my two favorite movies, the ones I always go back and forth between, and the two that I'll have to finally make a decision on tonight.

Will it be The Third Man, or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? Tune in later.

Man, I'm going to be way too prententious for this thread.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Man, I'm going to be way too prententious for this thread.
This is pretty much what went through my head when I saw you had posted in here.

Hey, if I can hold back from commenting on OD (Not Another Teen Movie?????), then you can keep your highbrow film taste to a minimum as well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that you asked for my FAVORITE movies..... not the movies that I thought were the best:

1. The Color Purple - Well acted piece of artwork. And it never grows old....
2. Rattle and Hum - I never grow tired of it.
3. Fellowship of the Rings - Even though I knew what was going to transpire, when I left the theater I wanted more (didn't want it to end)..... and now that I have the DVD I feel no different. (lucky for me I have the Trilogy.... and am just waiting for PJ to film the Hobbit)
4. Pink Panther - No..... not the one with Steve Martin in it.
5. Live and Let Die - Very few movies give me such vivid recollection of that specific time of my youth. And to top it off, it's got James Bond in it..... which is almost never a bad thing.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
3. Fellowship of the Rings - Even though I knew what was going to transpire, when I left the theater I wanted more (didn't want it to end)..... and now that I have the DVD I feel no different. (lucky for me I have the Trilogy.... and am just waiting for PJ to film the Hobbit)
I am scratching my head now, U2. I don't know why LOTR didn't even enter my mind during my selection. It is a masterpiece of epic proportions and is the best adaptation/improvisation by a director of a book aside from To Kill a Mockingbird, I have ever seen. I am still sticking to my list though.

Last edited by Nemesis; 06-14-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Okay, here's my real list
• “Casablanca” – Bogart is my favorite actor; I guess I have to pick Casablanca as my favorite of his movies, though “We’re No Angels”, “To Have and Have Not”, “The African Queen”, and “The Big Sleep” are all really, really close.
• “You Can’t Take It with You” – Silly. Funny. Good message. The first James Stewart and Frank Capra collaboration.
• Star Wars trilogy (original) – If I have to pick just one, it would be “The Empire Strikes Back”
• Lord of the Rings trilogy – I’m not picking only one, since it is all one story.
• “The Man Who Knew Too Little” – I didn’t like it the first time I watched it, but my wife made me watch it again and I loved it. I could watch it every day. Bill Murray makes it work.

Just missing the top five:
Fifth Element, Matrix, The Philadelphia Story, Singin’ in the Rain, and Charade (along with the other Bogart movies I mentioned)
Old 06-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
And I have to admit, I hated...HATED...A History of Violence. I thought that was one of the most terrible films I've ever seen. The New World is on that list of terrible movies, as is Blade 3.

I understand, that movie isn't for everybody. I loved the simplicity of this movie. Good acting from everybody, including William Hurt. Good ending as well.

Now if you really want to hate a movie, watch Boogeyman or Vanilla Sky.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 06-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Dr. Strangelove OR How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. - Perfection.
Heat - Pacino's last good movie... Micheal Mann finds a way to weave multiple stories around the best bank robbery scene in movie history.
Empire - Insert Dante's rant from Clerks here...
Smokey & the Bandit - Gleason, Reynolds, Jerry Reed soundtrack, Trans-Am, Beer, Hound Dog, CB radios, etc.
Dazed & Confused - What I strived to make of my high school experience... Shot in Austin/Central Texas... Will forever be McConaughey's (role of 'self') and Affleck's (role of 'self')best best movie.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This is pretty much what went through my head when I saw you had posted in here.

Hey, if I can hold back from commenting on OD (Not Another Teen Movie?????), then you can keep your highbrow film taste to a minimum as well.
For this thread, I will (most likely) refrain from belittling others choices. After all, sometimes a film that is not "good" in an academic sense will create an emotional resonance with the viewer. I have no problem with that, as that is what art is for. I like to discuss film, but I don't (always) try to be a dick about it.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Dazed & Confused - What I strived to make of my high school experience... Shot in Austin/Central Texas... Will forever be McConaughey's (role of 'self') and Affleck's (role of 'self')best best movie.

I get the feeling that most people don't realize how good this movie is. I think it gets categorized way too easily as a "teen/stoner flick." It's a genius examination of the 70s, high school culture, and drug culture. Criterion just released a new version on DVD, and I'm upset because I already have one. When I get some money, I'll be sure to pick it up. Definitely one of my favorites, though it won't make my top 5.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
I like to discuss film, but I don't (always) try to be a dick about it.
I want you to be brutally honest with my choices.

Seriously.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #18
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

The Fifth Element definitely belongs up there somewhere, Mila Jovovich is just too cute. As does the Original Batman. Another Tim Burton flick, Big Fish is probably #1 for me. Let us not forget about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as well as Gardenstate. Oh, and if you're into morbid curiositoes, A Clockwork Orange should be a top 5 as well.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 06-14-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #19
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Ok, ladies and gentlemen. This thread was specifically meant for YOUR favorite movies and the reason you like it. I wasn't intending it to be a who's who in let's pick the most movies that have a hidden message if you are whacked out on acid (haha Ninkobei with your Clockwork Orange, that is one crazy flick). I love everybody's choices so far but I am seeing a trend develop. Trust me, most of us know the movies out there that really "blow your mind" or "really make you think" or "insert any raw dialect from the movie Clerks or Pulp Fiction"

In other words, this is not Critic's Corner. Start a thread for that if you want and I will join you in that discussion.

Last edited by Nemesis; 06-14-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #20
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
The Fifth Element definitely belongs up there somewhere, Mila Jovovich is just too cute. As does the Original Batman. Another Tim Burton flick, Big Fish is probably #1 for me. Let us not forget about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as well as Gardenstate. Oh, and if you're into morbid curiositoes, A Clockwork Orange should be a top 5 as well.
Why did you like the original Batman with Keaton? Curious.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #21
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Cap, I'd like to be able to comment more on your choices, but I've only seen 3 of them. I'd like to see Heat eventually, but I have many other movies that I would rather see first. I have seen parts of it, and thought it looked decent, but I have to see the whole movie (including the famed Deniro-Pacino scene) to make a real judgment.

I also haven't seen Smokey and the Bandit. I'm not that interested in it, to tell you the truth.

You already saw my thoughts on Dazed and Confused.

The Empire Strikes Back - Back when I first saw the Star Wars films, I loved them. Thought they were all great. When I was a kid, Jedi was my favorite (it was a kiddie movie, after all.) As I grew up some, Empire became my favorite. I went back and watched all three about eight months ago. Jedi was still kind of kiddie, A New Hope was pretty good (and certainly iconic.) But, I was shocked by how great Empire was. It is, to me, far and away the best of the three. It has the most character development, the more interesting story development, and some chilling shots. Love this movie.

Dr. Strangelove - Absolutely hilarious. It's been awhile since I've seen it, so I can't make a lot of comments, but I love Peter Sellers. George C. Scott was great in this as well. "There's no fighting in the war room!"

Blab - You don't have to be whacked out on acid to appreciate Clockwork Orange. I get where you are going with your response, though. I don't want this thread to be about the merits of the individual films either, because that's not what you intended, and I don't want to hijack your thread. If others ask me to comment on their films, I will, but I'm no expert. I'm just a recent grad who took a few film classes and loves film.

Last edited by SaltwaterChaffy; 06-14-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #22
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Cap, I'd like to be able to comment more on your choices, but I've only seen 3 of them. I'd like to see Heat eventually, but I have many other movies that I would rather see first. I have seen parts of it, and thought it looked decent, but I have to see the whole movie (including the famed Deniro-Pacino scene) to make a real judgment.

I also haven't seen Smokey and the Bandit. I'm not that interested in it, to tell you the truth.

You already saw my thoughts on Dazed and Confused.

The Empire Strikes Back - Back when I first saw the Star Wars films, I loved them. Thought they were all great. When I was a kid, Jedi was my favorite (it was a kiddie movie, after all.) As I grew up some, Empire became my favorite. I went back and watched all three about eight months ago. Jedi was still kind of kiddie, A New Hope was pretty good (and certainly iconic.) But, I was shocked by how great Empire was. It is, to me, far and away the best of the three. It has the most character development, the more interesting story development, and some chilling shots. Love this movie.

Dr. Strangelove - Absolutely hilarious. It's been awhile since I've seen it, so I can't make a lot of comments, but I love Peter Sellers. George C. Scott was great in this as well. "There's no fighting in the war room!"

Blab - You don't have to be whacked out on acid to appreciate Clockwork Orange. I get where you are going with your response, though. I don't want this thread to be about the merits of the individual films either, because that's not what you intended, and I don't want to hijack your thread. If others ask me to comment on their films, I will, but I'm no expert. I'm just a recent grad who took a few film classes and loves film.
No problem. I agree totally with your take on ESB. The best part for me is Luke pouring with sweat as he battles Vader at the end. That confrontation was never matched in any of the OT or the lame excuse for a movie known as the prequels. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

As far as Clockwork Orange goes, if you aren't on something when you watch it you will feel like it when you get done. Or you will just feel dirty.

Last edited by Nemesis; 06-14-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #23
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll edit this later with explanations (when I'm actually off work)

1. Fight Club - Absolutely love the dialog, the comedy in it, the dark color palette..... this movie has it all IMO. It helps that the DVD has such an absolutely flawless transfer (except for the cigarette burns...... you know what I mean). And one heck of a plot twist, at least for me.

2. Clockwork Orange - Another movie that is kinda bizarre, but it's so stylish, and once again the nadsat spoken by Alex and his droogs, the absolutely twisted plot..... another great one. Plus, the soundtrack is absolutely perfect.

3. Saving Private Ryan - Yet another technically impressive movie, Hanks' greatness really brings this one home. One of the most impressive scenes in the history of movies resides in this DVD (The Beach Landing)

4. City of God - This one is special to me, simply because it takes place in my hometown (albeit pretty far away from where I lived). This one has a bit of everything, I love the camera work, the dialog is excellent, very well delivered....... the characters are all memorable. Lil Zé is a great villain. I also liked the timeshift bit a lot. Best Brazilian movie ever. This movie (unfortunately) is very realistic, moreso than most people think.

5. Schindler's List - Tear jerker, this movie is so emotional from beginning to end.

Last edited by bernardos70; 06-14-2006 at 10:59 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #24
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Default Pretension ahead

Alright, here's my list. I tried to make this a combination of movies that satisfy both my filmie sense and my emotional sense. I could probably write for excessive lengths about this, but I don't really have the inclination to do it at this moment, and I don't think others want to read page long descriptions, so I'll limit them somewhat. This list will surely change for me in as short a time as 6 months, though the top 2 have remained static for a while. First, some honorable mentions that didn't make the list.

(In no particular order)
The Seventh Seal
Waking Life
2001: A Space Odyssey
Naked
Magnolia
Seven Samurai
Memento
many others....

And, my (current) top 5...

5. Citizen Kane - This is obviously one of (if not the) most critically acclaimed film of all time. Most of its detractors usually don't like older films, or feel it hasn't aged well. I feel that it is still as relevant today as it was when it was released. This film is a masterpiece of directing, lighting, cinematography, sound, and acting. It is often considered revolutionary for some of the above elements. The advances that it made in those formal film elements had been done before, but this was (to my knowledge) the first movie that combined the most recent advances in all of the categories. The use of perspective and deep-focus is amazing, and the character of Charles Foster Kane is one of the best ever put to film. It also features one of the most famous "Macguffins" of all time. Amazing picture, and I am not one to argue its repeated placement on top of "Greatest Films" lists.

4. Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 - Quentin Tarantino is often accused of being a plagiarist. Some film scholars consider this to be his most plagiaristic work, combining elements of several different genres, stealing shots, etc. I'm not quite at the level of those scholars, so I can't speak to all of those things, but I will say this. If he does steal film elements, he has stolen some of the best and put them together into a breathtaking set of films. These two don't exactly excite me on the formal level, but they are so exhilirating that I get chills while watching them. Volume 1 is excessively (though cartoony) violent, but it also contains some beautiful shots. The snow fight near the end of the picture leaves me in awe. Volume 2 has the "Tarantino" dialogue that many felt was missing from Volume 1. I think Carradine is fantastic as Bill, and Uma Thurman was the perfect "Bride."

3. The Royal Tenenbaums - I don't know what it is about Wes Anderson, but every single film he does gets me. Maybe it's the great soundtracks, the beautiful cinematography, or the outstanding acting, or all of the above. I think that he might be the best filmmaker working today. The Royal Tenenbaums has a very somber story, but it is presented in an often hilarious way. I love every character in this film, because they all seem so real. They are all flawed characters who are doing their best to seek contentment in their lives. This may have been Gene Hackman's finest performance.

2. The Third Man - Wow. I love this picture. Joseph Cotten plays a low-grade novella writer, who travels to Switzerland to meet with his college friend, Harry Lime. Once he gets there, he gets caught in trying to solve his friend's murder, becoming like the detectives in his own stories. The off-balance camera work is great, the zither score is chilling, and it features two of my favorite scenes of all time. The ferris wheel scene is classic dialogue. The other scene is simply the greatest entrance by a character into a film in cinema history. If you love detective stories, if you love noir, if you love movies, this is a must-see.

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Wow again. I have to go with this as my favorite film of all time. Sergio Leone is a master at filming landscapes, and at several times throughout this movie, you feel like you are staring at a painting. The dialogue is sparse, but that's because it has to be. Blondie (Clint Eastwood) is a man of actions, not of words. Tuco (Eli Wallach) talks constantly whenever on screen, the Yin to Blondie's Yang. They make a fantastic pairing. Angel Eyes is an effective villain. The final shootout could not be filmed in a more perfect way. The tension is unreal. This film achieves on both a formal level and an emotional level for me. The cinematography is perfect, the story is great, the acting is great, and it's just so damn fun to watch.

Well, that's it. Hopefully I didn't bore you guys too much.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #25
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
I'll edit this later with explanations (when I'm actually off work)

1. Fight Club
2. Clockwork Orange
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. City of God
5. Schindler's List
I'm looking forward to your explanations, particularly City of God. It is one of my favorites of the past 5 years.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #26
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
3. The Royal Tenenbaums - I don't know what it is about Wes Anderson, but every single film he does gets me. Maybe it's the great soundtracks, the beautiful cinematography, or the outstanding acting, or all of the above. I think that he might be the best filmmaker working today. The Royal Tenenbaums has a very somber story, but it is presented in an often hilarious way. I love every character in this film, because they all seem so real. They are all flawed characters who are doing their best to seek contentment in their lives. This may have been Gene Hackman's finest performance.
I am sure there will be more like this, but I can't believe I forgot that movie. I love that movie. It's the only reason I saw The Aquatic Life, which I thought was a bore.... but the Director is a genius. And any Ben Stiller movie gets high marks from me (I also think an underrated movie is Mystery Men with his power of rage... giggle). Anyway, I think this one might replace something on my list.... but it's hard to say which one.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #27
Nemesis
Diamond Member

SaltWaterChaffy, I have only seen #3 and #4 on your list.

I guess I need to watch Clint's old stuff and also check out some movies before the 1970's to have a discussion with some of you on here. Interesting choices.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #28
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab's Nemesis
Why did you like the original Batman with Keaton? Curious.
Well, as far as Batman movies go, the first one is leaps and bounds above the rest. It actually has a dark under-belly to it. It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't give exact examples, so maybe I had better watch it again before I explain my reasoning. However, it was one of the first of its kind: that kind being a dark super-hero story.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #29

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

In no particular order, although I haven't seen nearly as many movies as you guys...

Fight Club - Love this movie and Brad Pitt is excellent in this.
The Big Lebowski - Jeff Bridges and John Goodman are hilarious. "Obviously you're not a golfer"
Dumb & Dumber - Comedic genius.
Shawshank Redemption - Everytime I see this movie on TV I still stop and watch it no matter how many times I've seen it.
LOTR trilogy - Not much needed to be said here.
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #30
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a hard list to compose, but I'll take a shot at it...

5. Patton - The ultimate anti-counterculture film, glorifying the career of a true American original in that old cavalryman, George 'Blood and Guts' Patton. This film features an incredible performance by George C. Scott, and also boasts one of the greatest themes in the history of hollywood soundtracks...

4. Aliens - The first movie in this series is a masterwork of sci-fi/horror, but Aliens stands as one of the few sequels to a great movie in hollywood history that truly managed to improve upon it's predecessor (Godfather II being possibly the only other one). The special effects are absolutely amazing considering this film was produced in the pre-digital age (it stands with Blade Runner and the Star Wars flicks as having probably the best model-based Sci-Fi effects ever put on film), the characters and action are completely, immersably believable, and the H.R. Giger designed aliens have never looked as menacing and terrifying as they do in this flick. As Bill Paxton might say about most of the Sci-Fi/Adventure films that attempted to follow in the footsteps of this genre-creating giant over the last two decades, hoping to equal or surpass the greatness of James Cameron's Aliens: 'Game Over Man!'... None of them even came close.

3. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I've got to agree with SaltWater here, as this is the best of the great Clint Eastwood spaghetti western trilogy (along with For a Few Dollars More, and A Fistful of Dollars). Any movie featuring the snake-faced Lee Van Cleef in a villains role is bound to be good (the Octagon, Escape From New York), but his sneering malevolence was never more perfectly showcased than when it served as foil to Clint's steely demeanor, and there is no better example of that complimentary on-screen chemistry than in this film.

2. Team America: World Police - Puppet Sex and 'Dirka, Dirka, Dirka! Mohammed, Mohammed, Jihad!'. Enough said...

1. Transformers the Movie - This film features arguably the most distinguished voice cast in the history of American animated films (Leonard Nimoy, Robert Stack, Orson Welles in his last performance, Eric Idle, Casey Casem, Judd Nelson, and Peter 'Optimus Prime' Cullen), and going back to my early youth, I've probably watched the thing something like 800 times. Now I grew up as a huge transformers fan, and I still remember being shocked to my core the first time I watched this movie, because it was the first and only American transformers cartoon that featured the robots routinely blasting each other to pieces and actually killing each other (killing permanently!), so thusly this movie will always hold a special place in my heart...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 06-14-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #31
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Interesting... very interesting, Evil. I don't recall seeing Transformers, which is strange b/c I was really into that when I was a kid. hmm.. Maybe I have seen it but I just can't remember. I will get back to you on that.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:20 PM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here are mine, no no particular order and couple of them have already been mentioned. Also a note, there are many, many popular movies I have not seen, that I hope to catch up on one day.

The Color Purple hell yeah U2, read the book as little girl, fell in love with movie, watch it every chance I get...own the soundtrack too!

Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 This is the only movie I keep permanently stored on my Tivo

The Jerk Things are going to start happening to me now!

The Fiddler on the Roof I try to watch it every Christmas...which is ironic I guess.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 3 consecutive years of REALLY looking forward to a movie coming out

Edited: Okay, I knocked it down to five, but here's my honorable mention list: The Princess Bride, Rocky, Apollo 13, O'Brother, Where Art Thou, Raising Arizona and The Last of the Mohicans.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 06-14-2006 at 09:36 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #33
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Evil,

I love the thought you put into your list. I haven't even seen 2 of your films (Patton, Transformers), but I've heard good things about both, and I love the fact that the Transformers movie is #1. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #34
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
1. Transformers the Movie - This film features arguable the most distinguished voice cast in the history of American animated films (Leonard Nimoy, Robert Stack, Orson Welles in his last performance, Eric Idle, Casey Casem, Judd Nelson, and Peter 'Optimus Prime' Cullen), and going back to my early youth, I've probably watched the thing something like 800 times. Now I grew up as a huge transformers fan, and I still remember being shocked to my core the first time I watched this movie, because it was the first and only American transformers cartoon that featured the robots routinely blasting each other to pieces and actually killing each other (killing permanently!), so thusly this movie will always hold a special place in my heart...
You got the touch Evil.

Don't forget the cussing. Spike and UltraMagnus slipped by the censors - "Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?" and "Open, damnit open."

8 year olds don't forget the first time they hear a animated robot cussing.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 PM   #35
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
5. Citizen Kane - This is obviously one of (if not the) most critically acclaimed film of all time. Most of its detractors usually don't like older films, or feel it hasn't aged well. I feel that it is still as relevant today as it was when it was released. This film is a masterpiece of directing, lighting, cinematography, sound, and acting. It is often considered revolutionary for some of the above elements. The advances that it made in those formal film elements had been done before, but this was (to my knowledge) the first movie that combined the most recent advances in all of the categories. The use of perspective and deep-focus is amazing, and the character of Charles Foster Kane is one of the best ever put to film. It also features one of the most famous "Macguffins" of all time. Amazing picture, and I am not one to argue its repeated placement on top of "Greatest Films" lists.

4. Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 - Quentin Tarantino is often accused of being a plagiarist. Some film scholars consider this to be his most plagiaristic work, combining elements of several different genres, stealing shots, etc. I'm not quite at the level of those scholars, so I can't speak to all of those things, but I will say this. If he does steal film elements, he has stolen some of the best and put them together into a breathtaking set of films. These two don't exactly excite me on the formal level, but they are so exhilirating that I get chills while watching them. Volume 1 is excessively (though cartoony) violent, but it also contains some beautiful shots. The snow fight near the end of the picture leaves me in awe. Volume 2 has the "Tarantino" dialogue that many felt was missing from Volume 1. I think Carradine is fantastic as Bill, and Uma Thurman was the perfect "Bride."
These are the only ones i've seen on your list. They made me watch Citizen Kane in film class, and i was shocked how much i enjoyed it. If it weren't for this movie, i probably wouldn't have appreciated or enjoyed some of the Elements in Sin City.

As far as Kill Bill go, all of Tarantino's films are very enjoyable, and Kill Bill 1&2 aren't any different. The best parts of the movie are the writing and background music.

~The Salesman
Old 06-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #36
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

It's hard to combine my favorites in all genres into just 5 picks. Here goes:

5. The Exorcist (Original) - So many years old, and to date, the only movie that has geniunely freaked me out.

4. The Usual Suspects - Compelling the whole way through, and the ending picked my up by my head and kicked me square in the nuts. Brilliantly written.

3. Team America World Police - Trey Parker and Matt Stone are incapable of producing anything that isn't completely hilarious. Plus, this is the only time in your life that you will ever be able to witness 2 marionettes having sex.

2. Road to Perdition - Maybe I'm blowing this one up a little, but this is one of the few movies that has ever made me cry (I'm an 18 year old guy, I'm not supposed to cry over anything). The music by Thomas Newman just puts this one over the top. He wrote the music for the Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile also, so you know what kind of emotion this guy can invoke.

1. Dumb & Dumber - To this date in my life, this is the only movie that I can watch over and over again and it never loses any of its initial funniness. I have seen this movie probably at least 40-50 times, and can quote nearly all of it. The sequel sucked bigtime.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 AM   #37
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
4. Pink Panther - No..... not the one with Steve Martin in it.
The original Pink Panther films were hilarious. You've got taste.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:57 AM   #38
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
The original Pink Panther films were hilarious. You've got taste.
I completely agree, and strangely, I just sent U2 a respect post saying just about the same thing just a short while ago . Peter Sellers was an absolute, absolute genius of physical comedy...
Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #39
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

My Five:
Good but not top 5: Platoon, Iron Eagle, Top Gun, Heartbreak Ridge*, Starship Troopers, Silence of the Lambs

5) Good Morning Vietnam -- Robin Williams cracked me up.
4) Star Wars -- all 6 - all are good in their own way (first series I ever "just couldn't wait" for the next one to come out)
3) Lethal Weapon/Braveheart -- tied - I loved Mel's character in both of these
2) Lord of the Rings Trilogy -- doesn't get much better than this
1) Chronicles of Narnia/Passion of Christ -- loved the story line.

* Heartbreak Ridge was based on a true story about an Army unit in Grenada. The Army didn't want the publicity of admitting that they lost all communications (scene with the calling card was true), so the movie was shot as a Marine unit. I have a friend that was in the 82nd and was in Grenada during this, so it will always be a favorite movie.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:14 PM   #40
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
They made me watch Citizen Kane in film class, and i was shocked how much i enjoyed it.
Made you watch it? You were given a gift, sir! When I took an intro to film class (well after I had started to take film seriously, but you had to take it to take other classes), the first day of class, we watched Citizen Kane. I had already seen it, but I was still excited. Everyone was bitching because we didn't get to leave early on the first day. I just sat there with a big smile on my face.