Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all
Default OU asking for game result to be void

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2593564
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2593870

The refs absolutely blew the game, does OU have a case? It probably won't happen but you never know. And the pac10 refs reffing the game have been suspended.

Recap:

Oregon player touches the ball before 10 yards, and a OU player ends up with the ball but Oregon is given posession. It's reviewed and the play somehow stands.

Than pass interference is called on OU despite it being evident that the ball was tipped. Play is reviewed and somehow stands. You woul think this would be a very easy call.

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 09-18-2006 at 11:06 PM.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The onside kick was really easy but missing the PI call should get the official fired not suspended. There is no possible way you miss that call on review and it cost OU the game. They have no prayer of getting this though and they shouldnt. Stuff happens and yes it sucks but you cant void games after they happen.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't watch the game, 5-0. But for the sake of argument, what if an analysis clearly showed that officials blatantly disregarded visual evidence? What should the repercussions be?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems from all accounts as though calls were clearly made in gross error. What actions should take place in such a case?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcT4EqOXfSM

watch that for the onside kick, even the broadcasters on abc are 100% sure it will be overturned.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I didn't watch the game, 5-0. But for the sake of argument, what if an analysis clearly showed that officials blatantly disregarded visual evidence? What should the repercussions be?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems from all accounts as though calls were clearly made in gross error. What actions should take place in such a case?
Fire the officials. You just cant set the precident of overturning a game later. I guarantee you if this gets overturned your gonna have a LOT of mavs fans asking for the same thing in the finals which is BS. I completely agree that they sucked BUT you just cant do that. Now if i was a voter i wouldnt count this loss against OU much but you just CANT set a precident of overturning games due to poor officiating. People would go back all throughout time and complain that they didnt get the right calls and thus the games should be voided.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

No way they can just disregard the game
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcT4EqOXfSM

watch that for the onside kick, even the broadcasters on abc are 100% sure it will be overturned.
Call me crazy, but that looks like ten yards to me. It is certainly IN NO WAY clearly less than ten yards.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Look closely it bounces off an oregon player after 9 yards and than bounces to 10 yards plus. Another thing they don't explain is how the OU player ends up with the ball.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 AM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Call me crazy, but that looks like ten yards to me. It is certainly IN NO WAY clearly less than ten yards.
I'm with you on this chum..... I can't see clear evidence that it was called wrong. Granted, this is a YouTube video so the quality isn't perfect, and the fact that I can't stand the stinking Sooners..... but really can't see conclusive evidence.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It definetly shows that an Oregon player touches it first though, and I definetly think it was only about 9 yards.

That being said, you fire the official, you can't void the score.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:12 AM   #11
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

I'll see if I can find a better video showing since the youtube one is fuzzy. Here are two more links:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2593369 -OU president ask's to void game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2592074

""I've made a million mistakes; I'll make a million more," Stoops added. "In each game and in that game included … there are things I could have done differently or changed. Unlike officials, players and coaches don't have that opportunity. They had an opportunity to get it right and they chose not to."
Old 09-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

ok go to espn and than espn 360 click on college football and you should see 2 videos that highlight this.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 AM   #13
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I've avoided starting a thread about this game on the board, because for the most part, it is an Anti-Sooner board. But, since someone else did start it:

These calls were horrendous. Even if the ball maybe had gone 10 yards (it didn't) which Chum posits, it does clearly hit an Oregon player first. After the review, the officials stated the ball hit an OU player first. There is absolutely no way they can see this. If they see 10 yards, fine, it may be close. But an OU player first???? Batshit retarded. Then, Patrick recovers the ball! Nobody had clear position, there was no reason to whistle the play dead, as the refs claim. How they can give it to Oregon is beyond me.

The pass interference call was pretty ridiculous as well.

Ugh. I can't believe there is even a chance of this getting voided. I'm pretty happy that the Pac-10 even suspended these guys. After the Tech game last year, I was beginning to think the NCAA had it out for the Sooners. However, that team wasn't really going anywhere anyway. But this team had a (very small) chance of a BCS game. No more.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:47 AM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

Well, crap...here I was thinking the ordeal was whether it went ten yards or not. The refs say it was touched by OU first regardless. Now, *that* is a bunch of crap.

Idiot refs.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
I've avoided starting a thread about this game on the board, because for the most part, it is an Anti-Sooner board. But, since someone else did start it:

These calls were horrendous. Even if the ball maybe had gone 10 yards (it didn't) which Chum posits, it does clearly hit an Oregon player first. After the review, the officials stated the ball hit an OU player first. There is absolutely no way they can see this. If they see 10 yards, fine, it may be close. But an OU player first???? Batshit retarded. Then, Patrick recovers the ball! Nobody had clear position, there was no reason to whistle the play dead, as the refs claim. How they can give it to Oregon is beyond me.

Ugh. I can't believe there is even a chance of this getting voided. I'm pretty happy that the Pac-10 even suspended these guys. After the Tech game last year, I was beginning to think the NCAA had it out for the Sooners. However, that team wasn't really going anywhere anyway. But this team had a (very small) chance of a BCS game. No more.
Yeah, I've been watching the YouTube replay for the last fifteen or twenty minutes. I know that camera angles can do funny things (trust me, they can), and I was thinking that at the very least the Oregon guy was within six inches of the ten yards and it couldn't be called one way or the other, by replay.

But that bullshit explanation? Give me a break! Clearly the Duck got to it first. That is bullshit.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:24 AM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:

I am probably the biggest UT homer on a board full of UT homers which means im not exactly an OU fan. That said, OU got robbed. I dont think the game could/should be voided but i do feel they definitely got robbed. The PI call was one of the worst calls ive ever seen considering they had time to review it and still missed it. As for the onside kick, i dont think it went 10 and i do think they hit the OU player inside of 10 yards before he touched the ball which if im not mistaken is also a penalty but im not certain about that one.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me first state my affiliation...... I hate Oklahoma. Now, with that being said, they were totally screwed. The in game replays clearly showed that the ball was touched by an Orgeon player first before it went 10 yards AND it showed that klahoma actually recovered the onside kick. An Oklahoma player got up with the ball and tried to hand it to the official that was digging through the pile trying to find the ball. Well, the official and the replay official completely ignored this. The official signaled Oregon's ball without actually ever seeing who recovered the ball.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Let me first state my affiliation...... I hate Oklahoma. Now, with that being said, they were totally screwed. The in game replays clearly showed that the ball was touched by an Orgeon player first before it went 10 yards AND it showed that klahoma actually recovered the onside kick. An Oklahoma player got up with the ball and tried to hand it to the official that was digging through the pile trying to find the ball. Well, the official and the replay official completely ignored this. The official signaled Oregon's ball without actually ever seeing who recovered the ball.
Yeah i was wondering about that too, aside from all of the 10 yards junk, OU had the football. I have no clue how they could possibly have given Oregon the ball.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #19
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

They can't just throw away the game (results). But it will linger in voters minds, especially coaches, going down the stretch. I doubt this screws the sooners again - more likely it'll screw the Pac-10 in some fashion.

Oddly enough, what if this negative publicly compels the conference to "right another wrong" in the Reggie Bush scandal. Oklahoma could end up with a national championship

Last edited by capitalcity; 09-19-2006 at 09:04 AM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #20
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I have no clue how they could possibly have given Oregon the ball.
Sure ya do.

Pac-10 refs + Pac-10 stadium = Pac-10 call
Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
[-]Taurean was in.[/-]
He actually was btw(well he may not have been but it was close enough that it wasnt clear like the calls yesterday. I was at that game btw. As crazy as the tech fans are, i would have been more than a little scared for the safety of the refs if they had overturned that call. Then again if they had overturned it im not sure i would have cared...
Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
He actually was btw(well he may not have been but it was close enough that it wasnt clear like the calls yesterday. I was at that game btw. As crazy as the tech fans are, i would have been more than a little scared for the safety of the refs if they had overturned that call. Then again if they had overturned it im not sure i would have cared...
The entire tt-ou game was officiated poorly, but the calls weren't freaking bogus like last saturday.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #23
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Atleast the refs were made to pay for their mistakes... unlike in the NBA.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

OU can suck it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #25
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

sorry OWHO?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #26
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Old 09-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
bwahahahahahaha....that is great!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #28
Five-ofan
Guru

Have we had any word on this? Im 100% against it and certain it wont happen but im waiting for official word on that. This would be opening pandoras box for sports.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
bwahahahahahaha....that is great!

THat...is genius.

Sooners need to have a big group un-bunching of their panties....
Old 09-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #30
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Meh. I'm not asking for the result to be overturned, because it's like asking for a million dollars and Jessica Alba in my bed. Both things aren't happening.

But, if this happened to UT, the majority of this board would be having conniptions.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Meh. I'm not asking for the result to be overturned, because it's like asking for a million dollars and Jessica Alba in my bed. Both things aren't happening.

But, if this happened to UT, the majority of this board would be having conniptions.
I completely agree with you and i hate ou.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to capitalcity again.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

Quote:

Oh it would be much worse than you indicated here. We'd have to put Dan and others on suicide watch.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

Not to validate OU's bitching or anything, but the Pac-10 sent letters yesterday to OU and Baylor apologizing for missing two critical calls in the UO-OU game and missing six calls in the Wash State-Baylor game. All eight calls were in favor of the Pac-10 teams. The letter states that each ref, back judge and head linesman official were "graded down".

OU coach Bob Stoops went on a rant when asked about the letters. Baylor coach Guy Morris said he was worried about Baylor-Army, not something that couldn't be changed which happened in the past.

Stoops is an idiot. To make it worse, OU's school president joined the fray holding a presser to complain about the call. wow. Do they not have an athletic director who could handle all that? OU is embarassing themselves.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #35
Five-ofan
Guru

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMX_17icIHg&mode=related&search=[/link]

Would really piss me off if i was an OU fan.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 09-23-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #36
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMX_17icIHg&mode=related&search=[/link]

Would really piss me off if i was an OU fan.
Wow, I didn't even notice that. Even worse of a call than I thought.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote