Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #81
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

i think the two who die will be either ginny, hermione, or ron

then harry gets pissed and kills voldemort.

i dont tihnk harry can die...bc wasnt the prophecy that..only one can survive--harry/voldemort?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #82
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

A miserable title. Sense death is coming. Can't wait for it and the next movie.

Last edited by shaw-xx; 12-22-2006 at 11:44 AM.
shaw-xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #83
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I would be accepting of Harrys death, (although seeing it as a total cop out on her part)

If she kills Hermoine or Ron though, Im going to be pissed. Those two need to get it on and live happily ever after.

interesting title "deathly hallows"

hallow by itself isn't really a noun. hallow means to sanctify or make holy. or honor something.

?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #84
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that midget prof. dies, I hate that guy.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #85
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I hope that midget prof. dies, I hate that guy.
lol. what do you have against flitwick?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #86
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

just so you guys know... i'm going on vacation next week, and plan to finally read some of these. taking the first 3 books with me.

i've seen all the movies (although it's been a while for the first 2, so i don't remember what happens).
Old 12-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #87
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
just so you guys know... i'm going on vacation next week, and plan to finally read some of these. taking the first 3 books with me.

i've seen all the movies (although it's been a while for the first 2, so i don't remember what happens).
a word of advice....don't judge the series on the first 3 books. They are a necessary step to get to the real good stuff, being 4, 5 and 6.

Though some people still claim 3 is their favorite.

Enjoy
Old 12-23-2006, 02:09 AM   #88
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, my sister-in-law is CRAZY into the books. like even more than you guys even appear to be, and that's saying something. she let me know that, too.

i honestly don't know why i haven't gotten around to reading them until now. i think i was purposefully boycotting them becasue they were so popular...

but i watched the last movie (goblet of fire) and felt like there was A LOT missing (even though i hadn't read it). i felt like a lot of background and such just wasn't delved into. so i figure the books would give me that.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #89
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

but i watched the last movie (goblet of fire) and felt like there was A LOT missing (even though i hadn't read it). i felt like a lot of background and such just wasn't delved into. so i figure the books would give me that.
you hit it spot on my friend.

I can't wait to see how the next movie is destroyed by the Warner Brothers as well. I really do enjoy them, but they do not include crucial info for the movies that come ahead of them. They are not cohesive.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #90
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, the midget just creeps me out.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #91
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, so i read the first 3 on my vacation to mexico... and i wish i had brought the 4th as well. I really liked the first three, and had them read within 2 1/2 days of lounging on the beach. Wish i had something else to read for the remaining days.

but i have a week-long business trip in San Fran, and i'm bringing books 4 and 5.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #92
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

right on BBL.

if you liked those ones, the next 3 will knock your socks off.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #93
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm telling you, almost anyone that reads the firs three with an open mind will be hooked. I made fun of anyone and everyone that read them until I picked one up....then I quickly becaome obcessed.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #94
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, so i finished Goblet of Fire (harder to read start to finish in a short time when you actually have to work and can't just chill on the beach).

Anyway... was rowling even remotely involved in the making of the movie? it's like they used the book as a rough outline, then changed almost all the details. ridiculous...

i will say that i liked one minor thing better about the movie. that it was Neville that actually told him about the gillyweed. actually gave neville something to do, besides be an idiot. with dobby giving it to harry, it just felt so rushed (although the original plan in the book was for harry to find out from neville. wonder why rowling didn't make that work?).

ok, on to order of the phoenix.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #95
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
On the subject of Harry Potter.... I was never interested in reading them until the movies came out. After the 3rd movie (the best one in my opinion) I decided to read the stories. My sister, who loves the books, talked me out of reading the stories until after the movie series is over. It is her opinion that I should just enjoy the movies and when they are completed then I should read the books so I can see the ACTUAL factual storyline(s). Therefore allowing me to continue enjoying the movies.

And this discussion has solidified my choice in following her suggestion.
u2, i know you changed your mind and decided to read them, so you are probably on the same page as me.

i think your sister's idea is a HORRIBLE one! i was actually kind of upset after reading books 1-4 because i already knew what was going to happen (in the big picture of the plot). the books were definitely still enjoyable, but i really, truly feel like i cheated myself (especially with books 3 and 4 - those have more of a twist, and i had seen those movies more recently, so i remembered the plot better).

I can't wait to start book 5, because that will be the first one i've read without seeing the movie first. damn my non-conformist attitude, not wanting to read them because everyone else was.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #96
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ok, so i finished Goblet of Fire (harder to read start to finish in a short time when you actually have to work and can't just chill on the beach).

Anyway... was rowling even remotely involved in the making of the movie? it's like they used the book as a rough outline, then changed almost all the details. ridiculous...

i will say that i liked one minor thing better about the movie. that it was Neville that actually told him about the gillyweed. actually gave neville something to do, besides be an idiot. with dobby giving it to harry, it just felt so rushed (although the original plan in the book was for harry to find out from neville. wonder why rowling didn't make that work?).

ok, on to order of the phoenix.
See, now you see why we nerds were so upset with the movie. I still contend they're just awful.

I know I've said it before, but Dumbledore's character is just so wrong. I just can't imagine Rowling signed off on that.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #97
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
u2, i know you changed your mind and decided to read them, so you are probably on the same page as me.

i think your sister's idea is a HORRIBLE one! i was actually kind of upset after reading books 1-4 because i already knew what was going to happen (in the big picture of the plot). the books were definitely still enjoyable, but i really, truly feel like i cheated myself (especially with books 3 and 4 - those have more of a twist, and i had seen those movies more recently, so i remembered the plot better).

I can't wait to start book 5, because that will be the first one i've read without seeing the movie first. damn my non-conformist attitude, not wanting to read them because everyone else was.
Prepare to be blown away by books 5 and 6. I can't imagine how bummed I would have been to read 3 and 4 after seeing the movies.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #98
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

you.

little.

children.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #99
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

bbl, the one thing i didnt like about making neville give him the gilley weed is that it made neville into a thief because it was stolen from snape.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #100
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

hurry and get through Half Blood Prince BBL....you have to endure the agonzing wait between books with us.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #101
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i see that 5-0... but they could have still had neville be the one to tell harry about the gillyweed, then have harry get it another way... because also, neville wouldn't have been able to get into snape's room because of the spell he cast on it.

but wait, i forget already... how did they get the stuff they needed for the polyjuice potion in book 2 out of snape's personal store?

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-25-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
hurry and get through Half Blood Prince BBL....you have to endure the agonzing wait between books with us.
Man, no kidding. Finishing HBP, and then realizing how long you'll have to wait to read the next is a bad, bad feeling.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #103
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
yeah, i see that 5-0... but they could have still had neville be the one to tell harry about the gillyweed, then have harry get it another way... because also, neville wouldn't have been able to get into snape's room because of the spell he cast on it.

but wait, i forget already... how did they get the stuff they needed for the polyjuice potion in book 2 out of snape's personal store?
They caused a distraction while in Snape's class, and Hermoine got it out of his cabinet or whatever.

I believe Harry threw a Filibuster Firework into a cauldron or something.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-25-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #104
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, that's right. i guess that wouldn't have worked again.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #105
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah but in the movie even if they didnt want to deal with voicing and animating Dobby again, they could've had him leave it with a note or something......like Neville could steal something from Snape(?)

what a beating. I think that Dobby and Kreacher are in the new movie though. At least I know Kreacher is. If you don't know who Kreacher is yet, BBL you will soon.

(by the way lets not post any Book 5 or 6 spoilers for BBLs sake)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-26-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #106
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

you can post spoilers if you want, just label them. I've been skipping over anything with a spoiler label.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #107
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, after reading back through this thread, I like how we have just completely ignored Sike.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #108
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, i've only read the first 100 pages of Order of the Phoenix... and geez, it starts out pretty hectic pretty fast!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #109
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
BTW, after reading back through this thread, I like how we have just completely ignored Sike.
just checked in to make sure you kids were playing nice...see ya later.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #110
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:9452

Deathly Hallows release date anounced!!!!

My fellow dorks. We have a date. July 21st.!!!!!!!

Hell F%$king yeah!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #111
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:9452

Deathly Hallows release date anounced!!!!

My fellow dorks. We have a date. July 21st.!!!!!!!

Hell F%$king yeah!
Holy Freaking Cow.....

I'm way too excited about this.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #112
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Holy Freaking Cow.....

I'm way too excited about this.....
dude....the hundreds of millions of people who're gonna buy this thing can't be wrong.

There is no getting too excited!! !
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #113
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
dude....the hundreds of millions of people who're gonna buy this thing can't be wrong.

There is no getting too excited!! !
Now, I'm kind of new at this. I didn't read the series until after HBP was released.

So, how does one get a copy of the new book on the release day? I assume there are hundreds of people at every book store?

If you preorder from Amazon, do they ship it on the release date?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #114
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now, I'm kind of new at this. I didn't read the series until after HBP was released.

So, how does one get a copy of the new book on the release day? I assume there are hundreds of people at every book store?

I ordered the last two from Amazon and have never had a problem. I want to say I got the book on the release date, or at the latest the day after. Its been awhile obviously, but I think that is what happened.

Either way, it beats waiting in line......with dorks.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #115
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

I've never pre-ordered. and I like you, got caught up after OOTP was released, so I've only been through a release once.

Personally, I got Half Blood Prince at my local Albertsons. They had a certain number of copies to release at midnight and I signed up.

This time I plan to sign up ASAP at a Barnes and Nobles, and be there at midnight. They have reading parties or some crap I think, but I think Ill bolt and go home and commence the reading (no sleeping)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-01-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #116
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I ordered the last two from Amazon and have never had a problem. I want to say I got the book on the release date, or at the latest the day after. Its been awhile obviously, but I think that is what happened.

Either way, it beats waiting in line......with dorks.
lol not for me.

I need the Dorkiness.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #117
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Oh and by the way, this release is only 8 days after The Order of the Phoenix is released in Theaters.

I would kind of rather it be more spread out, but whatever.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #118
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol not for me.

I need the Dorkiness.
Dorkiness is a good thing, I just rather avoid the crowds.

Did you hear last time people were driving through the parking lots and yelling out the ending to the those standing in line?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-01-2007 at 11:23 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #119
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Dorkiness is a good thing, I just rather avoid the crowds.

Did you hear last time people were driving through the parking lots and yelling out the ending to the those standing in line?
alright so Ill bring my iPod

Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #120
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I've never pre-ordered. and I like you, got caught up after OOTP was released, so I've only been through a release once.

Personally, I got Half Blood Prince at my local Albertsons. They had a certain number of copies to release at midnight and I signed up.

This time I plan to sign up ASAP at a Barnes and Nobles, and be there at midnight. They have reading parties or some crap I think, but I think Ill bolt and go home and commence the reading (no sleeping)
So, you sign up for a copy, so you're guaranteed one? Then you just have to stand in line to wait to purchase it?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
dumbledore is gay q=(, dumbledore kills snape, failed to cast leviosa, harry chases small balls, my elder wand is magical, snape dapes rumbledore, snape kills dumbledore, voldemort > harry, voldemort is awesome, your mom is awesome